6 replies to this topic

#1 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:17 AM

In case there are any of you out there like me, I thought I'd share this information.  I really wanted to give Boot Camp a try, but the only Windows XP CD I had was an early one without SP2.  So, rather than pay a large chunk of cash for a new one, or pirate one from the web, I did some research and found that it was possible to create, or "slipstream" an XP SP2 CD from an older XP CD and the downloadable version of the SP2 patch.  This link details exactly how this process is accomplished and tells you everything you will need to do it.  I tried it and found it to be extremely easy.  So give it a try.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#2 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:22 AM

Good and useful topic. Reputable site; should be good.

#3 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 April 2006 - 08:33 AM

Definitely do this if you're going to install Windows. Slipstream the latest service pack AND all security fixes. If you don't, and you connect to the Internet, and you're not behind a hardware device that blocks all incoming connections, you will be owned before Windows Update finishes downloading the patches.

#4 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:27 AM

Tesseract, that's a bit unlikely if you only hit the Windows Update site and your Firewall is enabled.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#5 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 12:10 PM

i mpretty sure that i read somewhere in a review, that one guy just went to the microsoft website to get the update, and by the time he finished contracted several trojans, a handful of malware, and a nasty cold.

or something
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#6 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:32 PM

Use nlite to handle that and the driver bits. You can also use it to remove things like the telnet server in Pro. RyanVM has a bunch of post-sp2 hotfixes, some that MS keeps under wraps because they might or might not be ready for release yet.

#7 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:51 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on April 8th 2006, 02:27 AM, said:

Tesseract, that's a bit unlikely if you only hit the Windows Update site and your Firewall is enabled.
Maybe, if there are no bugs in the firewall, which I seem to vaguely remember there were at some point. (So many people don't know how lucky they are to be behind a NAT device.) Also you have to remember to turn the firewall on pre-SP2. Better safe than sorry, in any case.