73 replies to this topic

#61 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:26 AM

You like seeing messy desks? You voyeur... :) I think screens of Winders games running on Macs is sufficient, but whatever.

#62 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:34 AM

View PostBatcat, on April 11th 2006, 01:26 AM, said:

I think screens of Winders games running on Macs is sufficient, but whatever.

How can you tell the difference?
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#63 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 04:21 AM

Screens can give info on image quality, resolution, detail levels, framerates on available hardware, current drivers etc. etc.

And it's a way to share enthusiasm without webcamming your environs. All good.

#64 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:06 AM

View PostQuicksilver, on April 10th 2006, 05:20 PM, said:

Excuse me for saying so, but wasn't this thread supposed to be about pictures of you lucky Mactel users playing games, not screenshots of games that we can find anywhere?
Yeah, I think it's more shocking and cool when they're taking digital camera pics of their Macs actually running the games. I still do double-takes. :P

#65 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 11 April 2006 - 11:21 AM

View PostQuicksilver, on April 10th 2006, 08:20 PM, said:

Excuse me for saying so, but wasn't this thread supposed to be about pictures of you lucky Mactel users playing games, not screenshots of games that we can find anywhere?

Huh?  :blink: I am playing those games to take the screen shots. Did I miss something?

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#66 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:09 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on April 11th 2006, 12:21 PM, said:

Huh?  :blink: I am playing those games to take the screen shots. Did I miss something?
Quicksilver seems to want all the screens to be not just the games, but comps, desks they're on, pics of loved ones, war souvenirs... :blink:

#67 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:23 PM

My point is that there's no difference between screenshots of games running on Macs or PCs, as long as they're booting Windows XP.  The cool thing is seeing photos of people's Macs with games that we've been dying to play (for me, that'd be the newer Splinter Cell titles or Republic Commando) onscreen.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#68 macmanZ

macmanZ

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:25 PM

I agree, it might be creepier for the poster, but... hey... it's cool, and gives me goosebumps ;)

#69 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:34 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on April 11th 2006, 06:23 PM, said:

My point is that there's no difference between screenshots of games running on Macs or PCs, as long as they're booting Windows XP.  The cool thing is seeing photos of people's Macs with games that we've been dying to play (for me, that'd be the newer Splinter Cell titles or Republic Commando) onscreen.

View PostBatcat, on April 11th 2006, 05:21 AM, said:

Screens can give info on image quality, resolution, detail levels, framerates on available hardware, current drivers etc. etc.
They can look different- higher resolutions, detail levels etc. can kill framerates.

If something is running at 50 f/s (say, counter in upper right of screen) with disabled features or at low res, I'm much less impressed. Just running... we've seen that, and we know what Macs look like.

Either way, but screens alone are fine by me.

#70 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:44 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on April 11th 2006, 07:23 PM, said:

Ah. I can do that too. I'll definitely be doing that when I get RTW Gold Edition all loaded up.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#71 Stecchino

Stecchino

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:59 AM

Call of Duty 2 Demo

My hardware:
iMac 1.83 Ghz Duo Core
128 MB x1600 (stock settings, not overclocked)
1 GB RAM

Key Game Settings
1024 x 768
4x Anti-aliasing
Force DirectX 7 mode:  YES

I believe the x1600 support DirectX 9 but I couldn't get ANYTHING playable or worth looking without choosing "YES" to the "Force Direct 7 mode".

This screenshot reveals only what I played with for a few minutes.  I haven't "maxed out" the settings to see how good the game can look.

Call of Duty 2 for Windows on my iMac

#72 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 01:32 PM

View PostStecchino, on April 12th 2006, 08:59 AM, said:

Call of Duty 2 Demo

My hardware:
iMac 1.83 Ghz Duo Core
128 MB x1600 (stock settings, not overclocked)
1 GB RAM

Key Game Settings
1024 x 768
4x Anti-aliasing
Force DirectX 7 mode:  YES

I believe the x1600 support DirectX 9 but I couldn't get ANYTHING playable or worth looking without choosing "YES" to the "Force Direct 7 mode".

This screenshot reveals only what I played with for a few minutes.  I haven't "maxed out" the settings to see how good the game can look.

i know this is slightly off topic, but what are you supposed to do in the CoD 2 demo after you radio in for the air strike? i follow my guys and kill all the mg42 gunners, but i have no idea what to do afterwards. my guys just keep standing there pointing their guns at nuthing.

#73 Stecchino

Stecchino

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:27 PM

View PostLemon Lime, on April 12th 2006, 02:32 PM, said:

guys just keep standing there pointing their guns at nuthing.

In COD, that's the tell-tale sign that you've just not looked in the right place yet.  The game is waiting on you to move into the proper area to continue to the drama.  I don't know specifically where you have to go, sorry, but keep looking and exploring and you'll get it soon enough, it's not tough.

#74 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:15 AM

View PostStecchino, on April 12th 2006, 10:59 AM, said:

Call of Duty 2 Demo

Forcing DirectX 7 will give you a fixed-function rendering patch, no programmable shaders. The game will not 'max out' under DX7.

It's a demanding game being played on a midrange videocard; DX9 mode may not be very playable, or there may be conflicts elsewhere. Others' experience should inform.