Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 08 April 2006 - 12:01 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on April 7th 2006, 04:01 PM, said:

Again, another title in porting but why not?

Vampire the Maquerade Bloodlines #1

Vampire the Maquerade Bloodlines #2

Vampire the Maquerade Bloodlines #3

Looks as good on the iMac as any PC. Plays smooth. Great frame rate with everything set to high.

Wait a minute.. who said Bloodlines is being ported? Doesn't it use Havok? I know Redemption is out for OS X.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#42 Magnum

Magnum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 03:21 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on April 8th 2006, 01:01 AM, said:

Wait a minute.. who said Bloodlines is being ported? Doesn't it use Havok? I know Redemption is out for OS X.

He was talking about Trainz, not Blood lines
2.71828183 * 3.14159265 * 299792458

#43 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:12 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on April 7th 2006, 05:01 PM, said:

Requests??? Brothers in Arms Earned in Blood coming Monday.
That sounds good... how about the rolling demo of X: Reunion? That'd really tax the graphics... there's a playable demo, too (907MB).

X: REUNION utilises a new generation game engine, developed to immerse the player into the most realistic, living universe, ever experienced. Extensive development has gone into the X engine, making full use of DirectX 9 technology, to create dramatic visual effects and stunningly realistic starships. The economy model in X: REUNION is more complex than any previous X game. Coupled with the massively enhanced A.L. (Artificial Life) system, X: REUNION will present players with an ever changing, evolving universe; where a player's actions really can shape the future of the universe.
3DGamers' X download section

#44 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:31 AM

anybody know where i can get a good bench marker? links?

#45 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 08 April 2006 - 11:42 AM

View PostLemon Lime, on April 8th 2006, 11:31 AM, said:

anybody know where i can get a good bench marker? links?

Get the free version of 3DMark here ... http://www.futuremark.com/

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#46 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 01:45 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on April 7th 2006, 06:01 PM, said:

Galatic Civilizations 2 #1

Galatic Civilizations 2 #2

Galatic Civilizations 2 #3

Sweet game. Interface is awesome, graphics great, smooth a silk gameplay. Lovely!!!

i'm quite looking forward to trying this one out. if you are interested, there is a developers post-mortem at Gamasutra. quite an interesting story since they are independents.

#47 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 03:21 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on April 8th 2006, 12:42 PM, said:

Get the free version of 3DMark here ... http://www.futuremark.com/
They're synthetic benchmarks; each has aimed to measure 3D performance in terms of where games seem likely to go in the future- a bit off from contemporary real games, but objective and reproducible.

In terms of games most Mac-users would like to run, 3DMark '03 is good.

3DMark '05 is very demanding and pushes the hardware hard, but isn't far off where current cutting-edge Windows games are now and will be soon.

'06 is new and extremely demanding; moreso than any shipping game. On an X1600, best for ogling next-gen effects and the future of game graphics in general. Expect framerates to crawl, tho.

Btw, FutureMark is an offshoot of Remedy, the Max Payne folk; early benchmarks of theirs (e.g. Final Reality) were based on early builds of that engine. Max, with its pre-computed radiosity lighting, was ahead of its time.

#48 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:43 AM

View PostBatcat, on April 9th 2006, 05:21 AM, said:

3DMark '05 is very demanding and pushes the hardware hard, but isn't far off where current cutting-edge Windows games are now and will be soon.

This is the one my co-worker used (the HL2 guy) and his 3DMark score was 3,814 as shown here ...

3DMark05 Screen Shot

While that's not a great score, the proof in his mind is in the gameplay for HL2 which he says is absolutely fantastic.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#49 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 01:42 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on April 9th 2006, 08:43 AM, said:

While that's not a great score, the proof in his mind is in the gameplay for HL2 which he says is absolutely fantastic.

and it IS fantastic

#50 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 01:44 PM

Well, the X1600's in the iMacs are apparently underclocked by a good 20%.

#51 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 01:46 PM

View Postplacebo, on April 9th 2006, 12:44 PM, said:

Well, the X1600's in the iMacs are apparently underclocked by a good 20%.

ya and i tried over clocking it to normal clocks but it didnt really work and i ended up having to force restart my imac 3 times.

#52 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 April 2006 - 03:47 PM

View PostBatcat, on April 8th 2006, 08:12 AM, said:

That sounds good... how about the rolling demo of X: Reunion? That'd really tax the graphics... there's a playable demo, too (907MB).

3DGamers' X download section

That's a pretty good sized demo just to see how we like going up against the Khaak.  Does it really stress the system that much?
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#53 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 04:28 PM

I'll try that later this week. Tomorrow's testing agenda includes Brother in Arms Earned in Blood, Blazing Angels, FIFA 2006 and Pro Evolution Soccer 5/Winning Eleven 9 (to compare against my own copy of Winning Eleven 7).

And more now ... Rise of legends, Far Cry, RTW Barbarian Invasion, Combat Mission Afrika Corps.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#54 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 06:46 PM

View Posta2daj, on April 9th 2006, 04:47 PM, said:

That's a pretty good sized demo just to see how we like going up against the Khaak.  Does it really stress the system that much?
I haven't run either yet, but the 232MB rolling demo I think I saw last month at a comp show. Since I was able to see discrete frames, I'd guess the framerates were in single digits. Back cover art shows a medium-size craft pursued by fighters, with motion blur- the front in focus, the back half increasingly out-of-focus. It's on the shelf at Wal-Mart... I seem to remember an article at AnandTech; I'll look it up. Should have some useful comparisons.

That 907MB playable is the largest 'demo' I can ever remember seeing. Games sure have grown...

View PostDaveyJJ, on April 9th 2006, 05:28 PM, said:

I'll try that later this week. Tomorrow's testing agenda includes Brother in Arms Earned in Blood, Blazing Angels, FIFA 2006 and Pro Evolution Soccer 5/Winning Eleven 9 (to compare against my own copy of Winning Eleven 7).
Halo PC? Star Wars: Empire at War (742MB)?

Yeah, here we are- I love multiple windows:

Introduction

Much of the focus in PC gaming these days is centered around action-oriented games and first-person shooters. While we are very much into these kinds of games, we are always interested in the different kinds of game genres there are out there. Games like Battlefield 2 and F.E.A.R. seem to be the types of games as of late that compel most gamers to upgrade their graphics hardware, but we've been lucky to see some strategy and simulation-type games (i.e. Black and White 2) that also make good use of some of the high end cards available now.

X3 Reunion

Egosoft is most known for a series of space simulation games based on the X universe, X: Beyond the Frontier, X2: The Threat, and their most recent X3: Reunion. The storyline in X3 continues where X2 left off, with the threat of an invading alien race in the X universe. Originally, Egosoft was going to offer an expansion pack for X2, but it eventually evolved into a sequel. While there is a storyline, the game has a "sandbox" type feel, in that the game can be played in other ways than just completing missions associated with the storyline.

While there were some technical issues with X3 when it was first released, specifically with massive frame rate drops during the game, the X3 rolling demo runs very smoothly and without any bugs. The demo incorporates the four major aspects of the game (fight, trade, build, think) in order to reflect gameplay accurately. The scenes are very similar in style to X2's demo, with multiple ships of different sizes flying around, orbiting structures, sometimes battling each other. This is all set in front of an impressive space setting with beautifully rendered planets and stars, as well as the realistic-looking explosions from the ship battles. All of these images combine to create a very effective and immersive future-space environment.
http://www.anandtech...doc.aspx?i=2680

Nice screen on that page. Man, Black & White 2 really pushes the hardware:

Black and White 2 v.1.2 Performance Update
Review | Apr 5th, 2006 3:01 AM
With the 1.2 patch for Black and White 2, we wanted to check on the performance improvements that were promised, especially on ATI's side of things. We'll see how big they are and how well the game fares now on a few new cards.
http://www.anandtech...doc.aspx?i=2735

While we're at AT, a couple more... why not? :)

Looking Back Pt. 2: X800 & Catalyst Under The Knife
Review | Feb 22nd, 2006 12:05 AM
We continue our driver investigation series with a look at Catalyst performance on the X800 Series

http://www.anandtech...doc.aspx?i=2701

Futuremark's Latest Attempt: 3DMark06 Tested
Review | Jan 18th, 2006 11:00 AM
3DMark06 is the latest edition of the popular benchmarking tool by Futuremark. New enhancements like HDR and SM3.0 look good. Let's take a look.

http://www.anandtech...doc.aspx?i=2675

#55 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:01 AM

View PostLemon Lime, on April 9th 2006, 12:46 PM, said:

ya and i tried over clocking it to normal clocks but it didnt really work and i ended up having to force restart my imac 3 times.
Yeah, the iMac's default cooling is evidently inadequate. I think they made a really stupid decision by making it laptop thickness.

#56 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:38 AM

View Postplacebo, on April 10th 2006, 08:01 AM, said:

Yeah, the iMac's default cooling is evidently inadequate. I think they made a really stupid decision by making it laptop thickness.

Well, inadequate if you're planning on pushing the machine past it's design limitations.   :P
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#57 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:24 PM

Per my above post, here are the screen shots I'll be posting tonight when I get home at full resolution ... Pro Evolution 5 (Winning Eleven 9 in some places), Brother in Arms Earned in Blood, Far Cry, Combat Mission Afrika Corps, Rise of Legends.

I am not able to post a screen shot of Rome Total War Barbarian Invasion because I'm using a screen capture utility that only gives me 10 seconds to get back from the desktop into the game and RTW:BI takes about 12-13 seconds.

But RTW:BI plays wonderfully. :)

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#58 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2242 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:35 PM

DaveyJJ, I'm still waiting for that PM reply. :whistling:
What is a man?

#59 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 05:00 PM

As promised, more screen shots. I'm getting to requests as I can (I do actually have to, you know, work at work) so please be patient if you don't see the title you requested just yet ...

These are full-size images so some are 1MB in size ...

Afrika Korps (Battlefront)

Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood

Far Cry

Pro Evolution 5/Winning Eleven 9

Rise of Legends

All played very, very smoothly. Far Cry looked great. One trick is to find the 1280 x 720 resolution for the widescreen. More tomorrow.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#60 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 06:20 PM

Excuse me for saying so, but wasn't this thread supposed to be about pictures of you lucky Mactel users playing games, not screenshots of games that we can find anywhere?
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com