Developers: How will Boot Camp affect you?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Haoshiro

Haoshiro

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:18 AM

I'd like to know what developers, specifically game developers, think of Boot Camp and how it will affect them in the long run.

There seems to be a lot of potential here that could end up either good or bad.

On one side this could draw in more Mac users since the "obstacle" of not being able to play every PC game becomes a non-issue.  But will these people end up using Windows as their primary OS or will they be won over to OS X?

On the other side if gamers have Windows at their disposal for gaming will they actually wait for an OS X native port, or purchase both for that matter?

I could also see this encouraging developers to develop for both platforms...  then again, if that is because Macs can run Windows perhaps the opposite would be true; if Mac owners can run Windows why bother with an OS X version too?

So will this cause Mac game companies to develop less ports and focus more on original content?  Will it encourage Mac developers to start developing for Windows?

If you are a developer please share your thoughts and opinions!

#2 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:25 AM

View PostHaoshiro, on April 5th 2006, 09:18 AM, said:

So will this cause Mac game companies to develop less ports and focus more on original content?  Will it encourage Mac developers to start developing for Windows?

If you are a developer please share your thoughts and opinions!

My total hunch is that Aspyr will still release Mac ports in the short term. If sales tank, then we've still got a sound business in console and PC games (some of our low-profile PC games sell as well as our high-profile Mac games), and will gradually exit the Mac market. But again that's my total guess - I have no idea what will really happen.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#3 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17431 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 02:46 PM

This is already being discussed in several of the OTHER Boot Camp threads.  Please don't be starting a new Boot Camp thread just right away.  I'm trying to consolidate the duplicate threads enough to keep it concise, but I don't want to choke it into just one or tow threads where it would be so busy that one can't follow another's thoughts.

I picked a terrible day to stop smoking, drinking, and sniffing glue.

[Edit - OK, it's a new day and we have an Dual Booting forum.  I'm going to unlock this one and move it to the Dual Booting Forum. - tBC]
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#4 guategeek

guategeek

BlueGill Studios

• Developer
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:20 AM

From what I have seen in the Indy crowd (I'm mostly refering to the Unity developers that I know) this is enforcing our wish to create original, creative mac only or mac and PC simultanious releases. I think boot camp is going to unify (no pun intended) the Mac Indy developers and hopefuly the Mac gamers as well. Keep supporting OMG. Jeff
------------
BlueGill Studios

#5 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:37 AM

View Postoutcast, on April 6th 2006, 12:20 PM, said:

From what I have seen in the Indy crowd (I'm mostly refering to the Unity developers that I know) this is enforcing our wish to create original, creative mac only or mac and PC simultanious releases. I think boot camp is going to unify (no pun intended) the Mac Indy developers and hopefuly the Mac gamers as well. Keep supporting OMG. Jeff

And us Unity developers!

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#6 Yoggy

Yoggy

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:42 AM

Me too! Whee!

#7 placy

placy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 08:33 AM

I hope my local software store doesn't use this as an excuse to close out their small Mac section...I
still have lots of consignment credit there.  Unfortunately, they've already cut back on carrying
most of the newer titles.

#8 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:42 AM

View Postplacy, on April 14th 2006, 09:33 AM, said:

I hope my local software store doesn't use this as an excuse to close out their small Mac section...I
still have lots of consignment credit there.  Unfortunately, they've already cut back on carrying
most of the newer titles.

My guess is those decisions are based on sales, not what the future might bring. If they are all ready cutting back my guess is that Mac titles are not selling all that well at that location.
-Hunt'n

#9 placebo

placebo

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 10:18 AM

I will always play Gooball.