66 replies to this topic

#21 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:23 AM

View Postelectricdawn, on April 5th 2006, 11:38 AM, said:

Sorry if I come accross like a jerk, but you guys certainly have no clue. This will bring in switchers in droves, who can finally have the best of both worlds on one machine. Nice productivity apps in OS X, and the occasional software that didn't made it over (and that includes games) in Windows.

I've already seen a lot of people in Germany's most famous IT-site forum (Heise) saying that they gonna switch. This is no way the end of Apple, this is just the beginning!

Downloading now....

v/r, E.

100% agree here. We can now sell Macs to our IT department in droves because we need iDVD etc but also need to run Studio Max 8 and Autocad etc. I've got two hard core PC-using IT/programmer guys in the building here with me who ordered iMacs after this was announced.

This is the greatest viral marketing scheme ever for Apple. I say good news.

Now back to installing Rome Total war.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#22 Marble

Marble

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:43 AM

There are still some of us out there who:

a) think dual-booting is too great a hassle to bother with and
b) won't let Windows within an inch of their beautiful Mac.

I would be very sad to see the Mac games industry wither because of this and then not have any games to play at all.  Perhaps this will force Mac porting houses into the realm of original games?  That's the best-case scenario, in my opinion.

#23 avatar

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:47 AM

Well, I have to say, even if it's just for KotOR II, Apple sold me a rev 1 PowerMac. With quad processors and SLI, please. And maybe some sort of death ray...
leeloodallasmultipass
photoblog: airfuel.org

#24 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:17 AM

View PostMarble, on April 5th 2006, 11:43 AM, said:

I would be very sad to see the Mac games industry wither because of this and then not have any games to play at all.
Mac gaming is already withered down to a raisin.

This news isn't going to send me out shopping for a new Intel Mac because dual booting is a bigger pain than my current setup (1 mac, 1 pc, 1 shared monitor). However, if apple creates a way to virtualize windows and run windows apps under Mac OS X, I'll buy a new macintel tower as soon as they hit the market.

#25 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:43 AM

if we all agree that this announcement makes Mac hardware more attractive to pretty much everyone, then isn't the correct conclusion to draw about the Mac port industry the somewhat paradoxical realization that dual-booting Macs will actually dramatically increase demand for OSX software as some buyers inevitably decide to use OSX as their OS of choice?

this is a good day for everyone. hopefully Apple can turn this into a major push for marketshare.

#26 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:05 PM

View Posthambone, on April 5th 2006, 10:43 AM, said:

if we all agree that this announcement makes Mac hardware more attractive to pretty much everyone, then isn't the correct conclusion to draw about the Mac port industry the somewhat paradoxical realization that dual-booting Macs will actually dramatically increase demand for OSX software as some buyers inevitably decide to use OSX as their OS of choice?

As far as Mac gaming goes, right now the people who are dual-booting are already Mac owners, so that huge sucking sound (to quote Ross Perot) is the flood of existing Mac gamers rushing to dual-boot to play games. To compensate for that, it'll be a while (in my estimation) before enough PC switchers buy Macs (and Mac games) to make up for those lost sales.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#27 BenRoethig

BenRoethig

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:24 PM

View Postconverted2truth, on April 5th 2006, 09:47 AM, said:

This spells the end of mac gaming...

I AM PISSED!

Apple always out to increase hardware sales, even if that means encouraging people to run windows on apple hardware.

Apple is going to decrease the base size of their loyalists....

How, where would they go?  Is there another Apple like company out there that I don't know about.  This is how its going to happen.  Windows users are going to buy a Mac because it can boot windows.  Since there is no way to run windows without OSX, they will become curious.  Over time they become more comfortable with OSX and more software is made available, the will begin to push windows to the side.  The more of us there are the more likely companies are like Aspyr are to port games

#28 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:27 PM

The deal for me is most of the games I myself would play on Windows on a dual boot setup are the ones that aren't and probably won't ever be available for OS X so how can you make up for lost sales on non existant (on the mac side) games? If all the PC games where ported and of good quality to Mac OS then there wouldn't be a reason for a gamer to do this.

Although you still have to realize that an average person doesn't install an OS much less a second one so this is only  going to be a hardcore user thing. As it stands there is only a handfull of games for the mac compared to the PC so there isn't a whole lot of lost sales there when you consider probably only the hardcore are going to be dual booting and probably for those games that aren't available for the Mac.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#29 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

View PostBenRoethig, on April 5th 2006, 01:24 PM, said:

How, where would they go?  Is there another Apple like company out there that I don't know about.  This is how its going to happen.  Windows users are going to buy a Mac because it can boot windows.  Since there is no way to run windows without OSX, they will become curious.  Over time they become more comfortable with OSX and more software is made available, the will begin to push windows to the side.  The more of us there are the more likely companies are like Aspyr are to port games

I do hope that will happen. Overall, I am socked that apple announced this.
What is a man?

#30 UpNorth

UpNorth

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

well most of the highlights and downsides have been noted but many of you left out the fact no more crappy ports by MACSOFT!!! hahahaha thank god.

#31 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:59 PM

Maybe I'm missing something here, but how is the situation today any different than it was yesterday, other than this coming from Apple?  Dual-booting is still awful; something like a seamless WINE integration into OS X would almost certainly spell the beginning of the end of Mac game porting, but not this.

--Eric

(P.S. Macsoft doesn't do crappy ports; what are you thinking? If you mean MacPlay, they already stopped doing ports quite some time ago, crappy or otherwise.)

#32 Riko

Riko

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:01 PM

View PostUpNorth, on April 5th 2006, 08:27 PM, said:

well most of the highlights and downsides have been noted but many of you left out the fact no more crappy ports by MACSOFT!!! hahahaha thank god.

You mean MacPlay with AvP II as THE worst port ever?

But I see a dark cloud for *pure* Mac gaming.
Why bother program games for Mac's if you can 'bore' into a whole lot bigger
market and know your fellow Mac users can play the game anyway on this dreddfull,
retarded, out of date, virus attracting, 1980 based windblowz operating system?

#33 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:02 PM

View PostEric5h5, on April 5th 2006, 11:59 AM, said:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but how is the situation today any different than it was yesterday, other than this coming from Apple?

It's now easier to set up and contains native 3D hardware support, so gaming is actually viable on Macs with decent video cards.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#34 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:10 PM

View PostBrad Oliver, on April 5th 2006, 03:02 PM, said:

It's now easier to set up and contains native 3D hardware support, so gaming is actually viable on Macs with decent video cards.

True, but we've been told that 3D hardware support for the other solution was coming "real soon now" anyway.

--Eric

#35 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:16 PM

View PostEric5h5, on April 5th 2006, 12:10 PM, said:

True, but we've been told that 3D hardware support for the other solution was coming "real soon now" anyway.

And there's the difference - it's here now.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#36 Riko

Riko

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:21 PM

And here's another black cloud which I 'borowed' from MacWorld:

"I don't think you can underestimate the danger of this. The script kiddies and hackers that all love to hate apple will see this as a challenge.
No ifs or anything, just plain virii and trojans that attack every windows machine out there, but only effect hfs mac volumes. They'll want to turn the tables on us, a virus that does nothing on a regular windows machine, but destroys the mac volume of an Intel Mac running windows.
I'm sure there are all sorts of tricks to prevent this, I'm even more sure that if enough people try, one will succeed..."

I really think I keep my PC and Mac seperated from eachother. No matter how much I longer to play F.E.A.R. or HL2.

... shudder.....

#37 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:27 PM

View PostRiko, on April 5th 2006, 01:21 PM, said:

"I don't think you can underestimate the danger of this. The script kiddies and hackers that all love to hate apple will see this as a challenge.
No ifs or anything, just plain virii and trojans that attack every windows machine out there, but only effect hfs mac volumes. They'll want to turn the tables on us, a virus that does nothing on a regular windows machine, but destroys the mac volume of an Intel Mac running windows.
I'm sure there are all sorts of tricks to prevent this, I'm even more sure that if enough people try, one will succeed..."

I really think I keep my PC and Mac seperated from eachother. No matter how much I longer to play F.E.A.R. or HL2.

... shudder.....

Eh? That would require for windows to be able to read hfs volumes. No tricks needed to prevent this. Talk about the sky is falling you don't see this happening with dual booted Linux boxes as windows doesn't support their file systems either.
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#38 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:32 PM

View PostRiko, on April 5th 2006, 12:21 PM, said:

I think that's being way overly paranoid. I suppose it's possible, but it would be technically very hard since the volume formats are so different right now. But even so, it's not like it's the end of the world. Windows users don't live each day in a trembly panic because these things seldom turn into a widespread deal.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#39 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:32 PM

View PostRiko, on April 5th 2006, 01:01 PM, said:

You mean MacPlay with AvP II as THE worst port ever?

But I see a dark cloud for *pure* Mac gaming.
Why bother program games for Mac's if you can 'bore' into a whole lot bigger
market and know your fellow Mac users can play the game anyway on this dreddfull,
retarded, out of date, virus attracting, 1980 based windblowz operating system?

Sorry to break this to you but Mac OS X is 80's and earlier based too since it's based on previous NeXTSTEP which was based on Unix. Sure Windows XP is still inferior to OS X in many ways but you gotta keep your facts straight, oh wait this stinks of troll so facts probably don't matter. That also discounts the fact that XP is 90's based but that's a different story altogether. http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Windows_NT

Still OS X has a lot of advantages over XP and I'd rather use OS X than XP.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#40 eschatz

eschatz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:44 PM

I am interested in more replies/opinions of porting houses (i.e. Brad Oliver, Glenda Adams, etc.) and what they feel this will do to their business.
Edward