Riko

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:20 AM

Well, there you go:

"Macs Do Windows, Too
Today Apple introduced Boot Camp, public beta software that enables Intel-based Macs to run Windows XP. Available now as a download, Boot Camp will be a feature in “Leopard,” Apple’s next major release of Mac OS X, available for preview at Apple’s upcoming Worldwide Developer Conference in August. [Apr 05, 2006]"

http://www.apple.com...05bootcamp.html

#3 RandyWang

RandyWang

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:21 AM

Damnit, I got ninja'd. :(
Why are you looking at my Macintosh?

#4 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:37 AM

There's a story about it here as well:

http://www.macworld....tcamp/index.php

Somebody grab this thing and check out gaming performance with a title that we can easily benchmark and compare against (as in Halo, or Doom 3), will ya?  :lol:
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#5 1337

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:47 AM

<neo>Whoa.</neo>

#6 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

Narcissist Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:48 AM

I'm on it. Might take a day or two though, we're going to print right now, dangit.
I Can't Feel My Torso – Your Gaming Fix From Blackshawk

I'm going to the vet to get tutored.

#7 Robo-X

Robo-X

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:56 AM

Could this mean another nail in the native mac game coffin?

In one way Apple could really increase the marketshare but if half of them will run WinXP on the Macs then it won't help the Mac game market.

//Rob

#8 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:58 AM

Holy freak! I've now read confirmed reports that not only are the internal speakers working in the iMacs, so is the X1600 adrd! Woot!!!!! Rome Total war here comes papa!!!!!

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#9 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3512 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:13 AM

Wow. And ouch for the Mac game porters. There goes Blake Buck's 1% figure. With an official Apple-endorsed solution, why would your average user *not* boot into Windows to play the latest games (or dirt cheap older ones)?

#10 codey

codey

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:18 AM

Yay! Finally we can play Halfli... oops, sorry, my bad - finally we can play "the game that shouldn't be mentioned"

*goes to hide in a dark corner*

#11 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:35 AM

View PostTesseract, on April 5th 2006, 04:13 PM, said:

Wow. And ouch for the Mac game porters. There goes Blake Buck's 1% figure. With an official Apple-endorsed solution, why would your average user *not* boot into Windows to play the latest games (or dirt cheap older ones)?

I only hope this only affects games. Windows as a games console? OK. But I don't want that crappy OS for anything else!  :(
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#12 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:39 AM

View PostTesseract, on April 5th 2006, 08:13 AM, said:

- Because you need to pay for Windows
- Because you need to restart you computer and boot in Windows (if you are running any type of server you won't do this)
- Because it is a pain to reboot in another environment just for a game.

I prefer to launch my game in my Mac environment. But it might just be me. And then there are games that never get ported...

I have to say that it might put a huge stress on porting speed. I guess that if a game takes too long to be ported, many users will already have completed the game on their windows partition and won't buy the Mac version.

#13 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:40 AM

Mac gaming just died.

Ceremony at 12 sunday.

RIP.

W
blowing stuff up in the virtual world since 1994

#14 atari

atari

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:45 AM

View PostHansi, on April 5th 2006, 03:16 PM, said:

Nice:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Wonder how MacBook Pro runs Oblivion

With the rumors around Leopard I had expected that move , though not at this point yet.
Poor Mac Games Porting Companies.  :(
27 inch quad beastie ordered :)

#15 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3512 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:52 AM

View PostiRolley, on April 6th 2006, 12:39 AM, said:

- Because you need to pay for Windows
Maybe you ought to, but you don't need to.

- Because it is a pain to reboot in another environment just for a game.
But if that is the only way you can play said game, e.g. before the port is done...

#16 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:52 AM

What most people here fails to realize is that we are the minority here. Dual booting isn't anything most people would consider doing just to play games. I know myself, after dual booting to OS 9 for Deus Ex... Classic performance wasn't good enough for me, and booting to OS 9 was too much work, so I quit playing the game. And if not even Deus Ex can keep me dual booting, what will? And I'm still a pretty advanced user. Seeing how among the best selling games on the Mac are games the Sims, Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, Myst, Enigmo, Bejeweled, EV, Zuma and the like... does that really speak of a market that's willing to dual boot for just a few games?

While there will be a loss of a few sales from this, there's still a market for Mac gaming. The casual gamer will never accept to boot to a different OS just for a game. Period.

And since this move will probably give us more Mac users in general, there can be even more that will feel that dual booting is a menace and get the Mac version of the games that are available.

If this will lead to the death of Mac gaming in any way, it would be that PC developers will realize the growing market share of Macs and develop a freely downloadable Mac app of their game, just like some do for Linux already. This is probably a much larger threat for the porting companies than a few switching "hardcore" gamers. I see more a poosibility to win back some of those who previously switched to Windows machines just for games instead... and if the Intel Mac version of a game runs just as fast as the Windows version, some will get that to avoid dual booting for that title.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#17 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3512 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:08 AM

The most interesting part of this announcement to me is that you can do in-place resizing of partitions now.

#18 zander106

zander106

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:16 AM

View PostTesseract, on April 5th 2006, 08:08 AM, said:

The most interesting part of this announcement to me is that you can do in-place resizing of partitions now.

This functionality has been around for a while now.

iPartition
http://www.coriolis-.../iPartition.php

Good piece of software, used it several months ago to repartition my drive. Didn't lose any data, was pretty sweet.

#19 maccer

maccer

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:19 AM

This was good news!

I know a few people who wouldn't have anything against buying a Mac, if they could only use some of their Windows apps that don't exist for the Mac. With a Apple-supported solution (graphics drivers, no overheating due to fans not working), I can now recommend them to buy a Mac.

And personally I just became even more interested to get rid of my aging Ibook G3/800 and buy a Intel-Ibook / Macbook / Macbook Pro.

#20 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3512 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:31 AM

View Postzander106, on April 6th 2006, 01:16 AM, said:

This functionality has been around for a while now.

iPartition
http://www.coriolis-.../iPartition.php

Good piece of software, used it several months ago to repartition my drive. Didn't lose any data, was pretty sweet.
Yeah, but now it's bundled with the OS for free. GNU parted has also been able to do it for quite a while.