#41 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 11:33 AM

View PostDr. Geebs, on May 2nd 2006, 07:52 PM, said:

Stubbs chugs quite a bit even on a dual 2.5 / x800, at 1024x600.

I've not had any complaints about the performance on my Dual 2.5GHz with X800XT and I run at 1680x1050. There is a slight pause when the game saves but it is no worse than the pause with some of the doors in Doom 3. I'm stuck now anyway with stopping the tank!
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#42 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:21 PM

To stop the tank, roll your head underneath it and detonate it.  If that doesn't kill it, you'll need a few gut grenades to finish it off.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#43 txa1265

txa1265

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:24 PM

View PostQuicksilver, on May 4th 2006, 02:21 PM, said:

To stop the tank, roll your head underneath it and detonate it.  If that doesn't kill it, you'll need a few gut grenades to finish it off.

The head did it for me without a problem.
Dopelar effect (n.)  The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Check out my blog.

#44 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:43 PM

I think I just farted in its general vicinity. Remember, those weren't Abrams MBTs they were using back then. No NBC protection! Stubbs' unholy flatulence falls under N, B, and C.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#45 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 03:20 PM

Your head is a tank killer, even more than your face is a child frightener.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#46 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 08:53 AM

View PostQuicksilver, on May 4th 2006, 07:21 PM, said:

Thanks! I'd better try again.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#47 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:39 PM

View PostFrost, on May 1st 2006, 06:08 PM, said:

Just to weigh in with one of my overly weighty opinions, I have to agree I really don't like checkpoint saving. Though it's not as bad as it used to be, the game that really burned my ass with that was Oni. Now, it's not so bad on easy difficulty levels, but when you're trying to prove your vidmasterly skills by beating the game with the hardest setup possible it's quite a different story. It tends to elicit many a rapidly hurled curse when you go through two checkpoints by walking down a hall, then have to go through a fight with 4 top-level ninjas with an instant-kill sniper watching you and jump over 4 instant death chasms without one @#^%ing save.
I finally remembered to post one other thing I don't like about the Blam engine's checkpoint saving.

The way Halo et al do it, part but not all of your game state is saved. Some things lost are vectors; velocity, direction etc. You spawn where you were, facing the right direction (tho awkwardly if you had just made a quick momentary turn to scope things out and Checkpointed during that), but, skulking, running flat out or something in between- that's not saved. And if you've just, say, grabbed Active Camo on your way to 'jack a 'Shee or something similar and need every ounce of speed and remaining time before it wears off... well, rotsa ruck. You spawn at a dead stop, without even your 'throttle' setting saved, so you'd better have your finger down on the Run key and hope you can accelerate fast enough to still accomplish what you were running to do, in time.

Grr.