34 replies to this topic

#21 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:33 PM

Wow, all of these exacting requirements just for a simple game.  Surely it would be easier to replace your wife with an upgraded unit that enjoys playing cool games?  Although if you insist on keeping the current model (for whatever unfathomable reason), I hear that brainwashing can be quite effective.

--Eric

#22 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17373 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:14 AM

Eric, I've tried to sell her on eBay twice now but both times the auction was closed without any bids.

If there are any beautiful, young women out there, into mangy old beat up cats then drop me a line.  I need you to defeat my old funless wife in a stripped to the waste mud wrestling contest in order to take her crown and win ME as a prize.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#23 Johnny T-Spark

Johnny T-Spark

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:20 PM

Yep the Nascar series is good fun, and there are a bunch of mods out there that you can download, such as Trans Am or IROC cars, but it's pretty tough without a wheel.

Another one to try is the free Racer mod - can be a bit temperamental and prefers a newer Mac, but it's playable with a keyboard and the word 'free' can make a hell of a difference with your patience. There's a reasonable size mod scene out there - tryhere

What we really need is one of the big PC racers to come to the Mac. I worked on GTR and GT Legends (the one Mac boy on the team! :P ) and I'm now working on with my VirtuaLM freelance team on stuff for rFactor.

Now, if we could get someone like Feral interested in rFactor for the Mac it would rule - the game is really just an advanced physics engine with relatively little content, the whole idea being that they do the work on the programming side and the 'kids' create the pretty stuff.

An approach not without certain problems and questions, but the platform is sound.

#24 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17373 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 05:07 PM

K, thanks.  DLing as I type!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#25 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6074 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 25 March 2006 - 06:13 PM

If you think she'd like playing Halo on race, I think I might have an extra copy lying around still. Was just used for LAN parties, but the people I play with have since gotten their own copies. I can have a look around if you'd be interested.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#26 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17373 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 07:14 PM

View PostFrost, on March 25th 2006, 04:13 PM, said:

If you think she'd like playing Halo on race, I think I might have an extra copy lying around still. Was just used for LAN parties, but the people I play with have since gotten their own copies. I can have a look around if you'd be interested.
I think she'd get a kick out of it just like I do.  It's easy to drive and it's super fun to crash into each other, plus there is an actual race game... I bet she'd go for it.  Let me set her down at the controls and she how she takes to it first.  Thanks!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#27 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 09:02 PM

it sweet how you bounce off each other.. totally love hog battles... and im pretty good at taking people out with them too :)
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#28 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 03:29 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on March 25th 2006, 07:14 PM, said:

I think she'd get a kick out of it just like I do.  It's easy to drive and it's super fun to crash into each other, plus there is an actual race game... I bet she'd go for it.  Let me set her down at the controls and she how she takes to it first.  Thanks!
Meanwhile, have you tried 2 copies of the Halo demo? Later, if, we could try three-person DD, sliding around Sidewinder and Racing on Infinity...

:innocent:  :w00t:  :excl:  :nuke:

#29 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17373 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 10:47 AM

She was a total spazeroid but she had fun.  I just checked with her and she said she would give network play a try.  I'm downloading the demo now... but I'm very worried that installing the demo is going to mess with the full install I have already.  Is that going to happen?  I don't want to trash my install of Halo.  I REALLY don't.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#30 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 12:02 PM

dont think so... but to be on the safe side just move the Halo folder out of the documents folder... that should sort it. but i expect that the install creates a halo demo folder instead...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#31 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17373 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 03:07 PM

::Makes a note to send da Boyz ta lean on teflon if moving the Halo folder out of Documents doesn't work::

::Amends note to suggest M7057 Defoliant Projectors for da Boyz ta utilize on teflon::

::Amends note again to suggest Stubbs BBQ Sauce as the perfect flavor enhancer for any flamethrower get together::
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#32 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17373 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 07:05 PM

View Postteflon, on March 26th 2006, 10:02 AM, said:

dont think so... but to be on the safe side just move the Halo folder out of the documents folder... that should sort it. but i expect that the install creates a halo demo folder instead...
It worked great.  You can come out from under that rock now... well unless you are visiting relatives.  The demo creates a "Halo Demo" folder within the Documents folder leaving the full install "Halo" folder untouched.  The demo provides a net game in Blood Gulch, which has several Hogs in it.  Network games between the two demos work great.  There is no Race mode, only Slayer and CTF.  We tried it out briefly, she said this might be fun.  I'm going to try to drop the Death Island map into the Halo Demo Maps folder, that has the best flat driving places for a novice driver.  Hopefully the demo will be able to run it, the level you play in the demo is Silent Cartographer, the map that is the basis for Death Island net map.

If you see a mushroom cloud on the horizon, that's probably me.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#33 wickedsteve

wickedsteve

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 04:26 PM

There was a race driving mod for unreal tourney 2004, I think called Unwheel, not sure. But last time I tried it, it was buggy and stuff.

And in response to the Tron2.0 stuff, GLTron is free and fun. You can play it against your friends and family (up to 4 players) but you have to share the same keyboard and Mac.
I serve too many masters.

#34 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17373 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:57 PM

View Postwickedsteve, on April 20th 2006, 03:26 PM, said:

There was a race driving mod for unreal tourney 2004, I think called Unwheel, not sure. But last time I tried it, it was buggy and stuff.

And in response to the Tron2.0 stuff, GLTron is free and fun. You can play it against your friends and family (up to 4 players) but you have to share the same keyboard and Mac.
Cool, thanks for the heads up.  I just located it and downloaded it.  Playing on the same Mac is like Big Kahuna Reef, they call it a "Mouse Party" because you have two mice in two separate USB ports.  Although not exactly what I wanted for the new home network, it might be fun and get her interested in video games.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#35 Gerwin

Gerwin

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 08:54 AM

View PostJohnny T-Spark, on March 25th 2006, 09:20 PM, said:

What we really need is one of the big PC racers to come to the Mac. I worked on GTR and GT Legends (the one Mac boy on the team! :P ) and I'm now working on with my VirtuaLM freelance team on stuff for rFactor.

Now, if we could get someone like Feral interested in rFactor for the Mac it would rule - the game is really just an advanced physics engine with relatively little content, the whole idea being that they do the work on the programming side and the 'kids' create the pretty stuff.

An approach not without certain problems and questions, but the platform is sound.
Boy oh boy, if someone would port GTR/ GT legends to OSX, I would be such a happy man :P  :D  :wub:  :w00t:
These are some serious racing simulators, and the sound in GTR, the sound...