34 replies to this topic

#1 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 March 2006 - 03:16 PM

After crawling through the attic all afternoon last week I'm now the proud owner of a two machine Ethernet network.  What good is a network if you can't play games on it?  Yeah yeah sure sure you can share the internet, printer, and files... but that would make you sound just like my wife.  For the life of me I can't get her to play Marathon with me again after the "Simmons Family Crossover Cable Incident" in which she got her ass handed to her on a circuit chip even though I only used fists and she shot the entire stash of munitions at the Harpers Ferry Federal Armory at me.  She swore never ever to play ever again ever ever anything never ever that was fun and exciting.  She won't even play co-op mouse party in Big Kahuna Reef!

She will however play an auto racing game!  She told me so this morning!  So what I need from you guys is savvy recommendations for some fun racing games to look at.  The two machines we'll be playing on are listed in my profile.  We need something that will let 2 people race against each other in cars on a race track or through the countryside or through cities.  We will probably want to smash into each other so any resulting air time would be a plus in my eyes.  I would want it to be played on this home network without having to buy 2 full copies of the game, a full price and a cheaper network license would be cool.  

The game does not have to be state of the art, in fact the older computer probably couldn't handle that.  The important thing is that it will be fun for a total noobie like my wife and an experienced gamer like myself.

Any ideas?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#2 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:14 PM

I'm not much of an authority on racing games, but back in the OS9 days I had an earlier version of this that was OK.

Now Lord Heavy, he's the big car man in the UK.

LH?

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#3 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:07 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on March 23rd 2006, 09:16 PM, said:

We will probably want to smash into each other so any resulting air time would be a plus in my eyes.

and im guessing your eyes only :)

well, up and coming games that we have are redline and colin mcrae 2005... but theyll be a few months i believe.

you could always try halo in race mode.... yeah, yeah, its a bit rubbish, but if she starts beating you, you can just wait for her to come round again and blow her up! or you can take her out with the tank etc. etc. not to mention that its much slower than marathon, so she might be a bit more partial to shooting at you.

nascar is also an option, but i never liked it much. Ford racer? who knows...

the only shareware option i can think of is jammin racer, but i dont think thats network play...

so really, i think youd be best off waiting till feral or ambrosia ship their respective games... both of which should be absolutely ace.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:28 PM

View PostLord Brixton, on March 23rd 2006, 04:14 PM, said:

I'm not much of an authority on racing games, but back in the OS9 days I had an earlier version of this that was OK.

Now Lord Heavy, he's the big car man in the UK.

LH?
K, downloading that now.  Thanks.

View Postteflon, on March 23rd 2006, 05:07 PM, said:

and im guessing your eyes only :)

well, up and coming games that we have are redline and colin mcrae 2005... but theyll be a few months i believe.

you could always try halo in race mode.... yeah, yeah, its a bit rubbish, but if she starts beating you, you can just wait for her to come round again and blow her up! or you can take her out with the tank etc. etc. not to mention that its much slower than marathon, so she might be a bit more partial to shooting at you.

nascar is also an option, but i never liked it much. Ford racer? who knows...

the only shareware option i can think of is jammin racer, but i dont think thats network play...

so really, i think youd be best off waiting till feral or ambrosia ship their respective games... both of which should be absolutely ace.
Halo race mode was the FIRST idea I came up with when I tried to get up a net race game.  I get an error message when joining that I don't have the extra CD key to join.  I have to buy another copy of Halo to play race mode with my wife and that's not going to happen... even though tooling around in Hogs in a net game is the most fun I've had playing Halo.  I got ahold of the Nascar demo and I'll try getting a net game of that going tonight.  Thanks.

Any others?  Don't have to be fancy, just be networkable in OSX without having to buy two full games.  Marathon shipped with a couple net licenses just to let you hammer your friends.  I need a racing game like that.

What was the name of that cartoonish caveman racing game?  Did that have netplay?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:33 PM

That's CroMag Rally you're thinking about. That came to my mind, too. Unfortunately, looking at the game info, it won't work for you unless you have both machines running on OS9. The networking capability was broken in OSX. I find it peculiar, though, that Brian never updated this feature. *shrugs*
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#6 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:52 PM

How about the light cycle in TRON2.0? I guess that's not really racing, but... :blush:

#7 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:04 PM

View PostTomatocow, on March 23rd 2006, 05:52 PM, said:

How about the light cycle in TRON2.0? I guess that's not really racing, but... :blush:

haha that reminds me of the good old days at our computer lab in the school i go to. we would always have lan parties with tron.

#8 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:17 PM

View PostLemon Lime, on March 24th 2006, 11:04 AM, said:

haha that reminds me of the good old days at our computer lab in the school i go to. we would always have lan parties with tron.

I remember playing the original TRON with friends at the arcade :blush:

#9 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:27 PM

View PostTomatocow, on March 23rd 2006, 06:17 PM, said:

I remember playing the original TRON with friends at the arcade :blush:

wow man you got roots.

#10 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:18 AM

no i meant jammin racer. i just didnt elaborate. I dont know if its network, but theres split screen... sorry, i missed out the salient piece of information there
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#11 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 04:06 AM

F1 Championship has a networking feature and you can play with one copy of the game. You just eject it after starting the game on the first machine and repeat with the other machines on your LAN.

Ford Racing 2 and Total Immersion racing have split screen modes but no network options.

Colin McRae Mac will have 4 player split screen and LAN/Internet multiplayer on release.

You can get the demos for the three games by visiting our website, you can find the links in my signature.

Cheers,

Edwin

#12 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:05 AM

Ooooooooo... very good, I'll check those out, thanks!  Now if you would be so kind as to release Colin McRae like all these people have been begging you to... eh?  :lol:

The reason I'm being such a tight wad with this LAN racing project is that I'm not sure she will take to it.  I don't want to lay out the price of two full games if she is just going to play once and then loose interest.  I want to see if she gets hooked on a cheap and dirty, and if so, graduate to the big time.

The Nascar Demo had the LAN option grayed out by the way.  Ran great on the old G4 though.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#13 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:43 AM

4x4 Evo was a decent SUV-based racing game back in the OS8/9 days.
One of the few games that let you race against PC gamers AND Sega Dreamcast gamers.
Should be a demo floating out there as I remember playing it by way of a MacAddict disc.

#14 GausianBlur

GausianBlur

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:55 AM

We used to have loads of fun playing Carmageddon2 at work during lunch time, I think I still have the CD laying around here. Fun racing thru a variety of settings with all kinds of fun power ups (my favorite is the opponent repulsificator). Your car takes damage and loses fenders etc...It will run great on a older G4 dunno about how it will do under classic though, I'll look into it this weekend.

#15 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:02 AM

View PostGausianBlur, on March 24th 2006, 09:55 AM, said:

We used to have loads of fun playing Carmageddon2 at work during lunch time

Now that is a game that was loads of fun, the guys who made it are based just down the road from Feral HQ in fact. Makes me want to get an old Mac and install OS 9 and my Voodoo 5500 card for all of the older games like Deus Ex, Driver, Carmagedon etc.

#16 GausianBlur

GausianBlur

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 11:47 AM

Driver, yes that one was lots of fun as well, we would get up to 4 people in carmageddon and just bash the bejesus out of one another I dont know why we never got busted by the owner we sure were loud enough when we got killed.

btw I cant seem to find the demo for the colin racing game, you did say there was one didnt u?

#17 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 01:27 PM

View PostGausianBlur, on March 24th 2006, 12:47 PM, said:

btw I cant seem to find the demo for the colin racing game, you did say there was one didnt u?

Yes but edddeduck doesn't want to share it ! (me thinks he wants to finish the game before all of us so he brag about it)

View Postthe Battle Cat, on March 24th 2006, 10:05 AM, said:

Ooooooooo... very good, I'll check those out, thanks!  Now if you would be so kind as to release Colin McRae like all these people have been begging you to... eh?  :lol:

The reason I'm being such a tight wad with this LAN racing project is that I'm not sure she will take to it.  I don't want to lay out the price of two full games if she is just going to play once and then loose interest.  I want to see if she gets hooked on a cheap and dirty, and if so, graduate to the big time.

The Nascar Demo had the LAN option grayed out by the way.  Ran great on the old G4 though.

Rally Shift is fun enough and cheap (25$). Split screen. And there is a demo. Best shareware I ever bought.. I think.

#18 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 01:30 PM

View Postedddeduck, on March 24th 2006, 12:02 PM, said:

Makes me want to get an old Mac and install OS 9 and my Voodoo 5500 card for all of the older games like Deus Ex, Driver, Carmagedon etc.

The Carmageddons work perfectly well with Classic and MacGlide.  Best way to play is with an X-Arcade joystick.  Good fun....

--Eric

#19 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 02:12 PM

Keep in mind these games and any demos of the games need to be tested here on my LAN and they need to run in the OSX network.  You see, I don't want to buy the game without my finicky wife giving it the thumbs up first.  Both machines are capable of running Classic and if it is a Classic game that will run on this OSX network then that's great.  The Formula 1 demo didn't have multiplayer, I couldn't test it on her.

It doesn't have to be realistic racing.  Any sort of zipping around the landscape in some sort of vehicle will do.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#20 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 02:57 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on March 24th 2006, 03:12 PM, said:

Keep in mind these games and any demos of the games need to be tested here on my LAN and they need to run in the OSX network.  You see, I don't want to buy the game without my finicky wife giving it the thumbs up first.  Both machines are capable of running Classic and if it is a Classic game that will run on this OSX network then that's great.  The Formula 1 demo didn't have multiplayer, I couldn't test it on her.

It doesn't have to be realistic racing.  Any sort of zipping around the landscape in some sort of vehicle will do.

What a difficult man you are ! Lucky you, after much searching I found exactly what you need:

http://www.t45ol.com...cing-track.html