52 replies to this topic

#1 Sternum

Sternum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:48 AM

Will Wright shows off SPORE at the Game Developers' Conference.

The video quality is poor, but... wow. This is the greatest game ever made.

#2 Ranger_Joe

Ranger_Joe

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Steam Name:rangerjoe79
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 March 2006 - 12:54 PM

It has been a long time since a game has excited me with it's concept.  Spore looks like it could be the next Sims / Black & White.

#3 alldaveallen

alldaveallen

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 630 posts
  • Location:Somewhere between the computer, the fridge and the nursery

Posted 06 March 2006 - 02:57 PM

View PostRanger_Joe, on March 6th 2006, 10:54 AM, said:

It has been a long time since a game has excited me with it's concept.  Spore looks like it could be the next Sims / Black & White.

If they don't port this to the Mac I will give up gaming forever.

#4 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:12 PM

its been a long time since this game was first shown off, but its still absolutely immense. Just the scale of the game, and because of the scale, also the variety in gameplay... its huge!

id really love to see this on the mac (after its out on pc of course, early 2007 isnt it?), and seeing as aspyr are good friends with EA...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#5 Siriusfox

Siriusfox

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1148 posts
  • Steam Name:opensiriusfox

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:17 PM

Maxis has a fair track record of having big games come to Mac. Look at the Sims, and Sim city. But there record of publishing the Mac version themselves is down. I'm hoping we can get Aspyr in there before the game is out to start with the Mac version as a simultaneous release.

This game is AWSOME! 3 days ago a friend sent me this link. I downloaded it in "Windows/Mac" only to find it was Dvix. (stupid Google). Then I downloaded the iPod format only to find that VLC plays Dvix. But the iPod video format scaled was better quality than the Dvix, so I guess it was Ok.

This game is going to kick @$$ though!
20'' iMac Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 10.6.5, 2GB RAM, 256MB ATI X1600

"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." -Doug Larson

#6 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:01 PM

View PostSiriusfox, on March 6th 2006, 06:17 PM, said:

Maxis has a fair track record of having big games come to Mac.

This is a very interesting premise. I'd like to see what the end game looks like. Keep your fingers crossed they don't adopt some $%#!!ing technology that hinders a Mac port.

-Hunt'n

#7 Kanamit

Kanamit

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:48 PM

View PostHuntn, on March 7th 2006, 03:01 PM, said:

This is a very interesting premise. I'd like to see what the end game looks like. Keep your fingers crossed they don't adopt some $%#!!ing technology that hinders a Mac port.

-Hunt'n

Well, its not multiplayer (in the traditional sense anyway), so gamespy won't be an issue, and if it was using havok I think we would've heard about it already. I'd say its almost a guaranteed port, I'm not sure if there's a game from Will Wright that hasn't been ported.

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:33 PM

View PostKanamit, on March 7th 2006, 03:48 PM, said:

Well, its not multiplayer (in the traditional sense anyway), so gamespy won't be an issue, and if it was using havok I think we would've heard about it already. I'd say its almost a guaranteed port, I'm not sure if there's a game from Will Wright that hasn't been ported.
My only problem with it is the online aspect of it.  I'd hate to spend months perfecting the worlds most perfect world just to have a group of malicious space invaders gang up and nuke it down to bedrock.  And trust me, that is going to happen because where ever you have people having fun online, you have another group of people doing their best to spoil it for them.  I guess I'm just too dispirited about online play.  

The game looks amazing, and seems like it will be very rewarding to play.  That was a fabulous demonstration of it.  Not sure I want to buy into a monthly fee though. I hope it comes to the Mac regardless of my concerns because I'm sure it will be a hit.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 Sternum

Sternum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:45 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on March 7th 2006, 08:33 PM, said:

My only problem with it is the online aspect of it.  I'd hate to spend months perfecting the worlds most perfect world just to have a group of malicious space invaders gang up and nuke it down to bedrock.  And trust me, that is going to happen because where ever you have people having fun online, you have another group of people doing their best to spoil it for them.  I guess I'm just too dispirited about online play.  

As far as I can tell, the online aspect isn't interactive. It's like SimCity 4 or the Sims -- you can download other players' cities/households and drop them into the same region. Their creations will interact with your creations, but there won't be outside players messing with your game. The evil space invaders will only show up and hassle you if you put them there or if they evolve from another species.

#10 Kanamit

Kanamit

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:44 PM

View PostSternum, on March 7th 2006, 05:45 PM, said:

As far as I can tell, the online aspect isn't interactive. It's like SimCity 4 or the Sims -- you can download other players' cities/households and drop them into the same region. Their creations will interact with your creations, but there won't be outside players messing with your game. The evil space invaders will only show up and hassle you if you put them there or if they evolve from another species.

No, spore will import other player's creatures automatically to balance the ecosystem every evolution stage (or if the internet isn't available, premade species on the disc), so you won't have to put them there. I personally love this idea, every game you'll have different species to compete with, each adapted to counter your creations. But, I don't think they will be able to destroy your species, and I highly doubt there will be a monthly fee.

#11 ViralDoctor

ViralDoctor

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:30 PM

I think one of the greatest aspects of the Maxis games is their ability to be expanded with 3rd-party content, it adds so much replay value.

So, if we, the player, is the creator of the species, are we playing some sort of "god"? ;)

#12 Siriusfox

Siriusfox

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1148 posts
  • Steam Name:opensiriusfox

Posted 07 March 2006 - 11:01 PM

In a sense. You control the evolution of the creatures. Then you control the city. And lastly you get this UFO, that allows you to eventually do almost anything.

I see it as your role digresses, but your power increases.
God, Mayor, Powerful Being
20'' iMac Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 10.6.5, 2GB RAM, 256MB ATI X1600

"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." -Doug Larson

#13 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:03 AM

i'm gonna need another drool cup

#14 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:00 AM

View PostViralDoctor, on March 7th 2006, 10:30 PM, said:

So, if we, the player, is the creator of the species, are we playing some sort of "god"? ;)

It depends on how you define god and the role of god in creating and developing life. :D If evolution is random or designed, whatever your capacity, the player is placed in a position of making choices to guide evolutionary development. The game appears to start as a simulation and move towards real time strategy.

-Hunt'n

#15 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:55 AM

View PostKanamit, on March 7th 2006, 07:44 PM, said:

View PostSternum, on March 7th 2006, 05:45 PM, said:

No, spore will import other player's creatures automatically to balance the ecosystem every evolution stage (or if the internet isn't available, premade species on the disc), so you won't have to put them there. I personally love this idea, every game you'll have different species to compete with, each adapted to counter your creations. But, I don't think they will be able to destroy your species, and I highly doubt there will be a monthly fee.
I'm feeling a LOT better about this game.  Thanks for the clarification folks.  Looks like all of 2007 is going to become "The Lost Weekend" for me.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#16 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:30 AM

Finally got around to watching that video. :sabber:

The only question is: What are its system requirements going to look like? :blink: Can't be that small.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#17 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:51 PM

Pass the drool cup, please. Right now!

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#18 AdamantTurtle

AdamantTurtle

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:46 PM

remember simcity4 and that huge mulitlplayer indirect interaction thing where you help contribute to a kind of interactive world. and remember how that was never compatable with mac's. I think the multiplayer content database is a awesome idea but it would realy stink if we where cut off from that and I have a hunch that the same thing will happen with spore as in Simcity4

#19 Mystery Jet

Mystery Jet

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:06 AM

View PostAdamantTurtle, on March 13th 2006, 10:46 PM, said:

remember simcity4 and that huge mulitlplayer indirect interaction thing where you help contribute to a kind of interactive world. and remember how that was never compatable with mac's. I think the multiplayer content database is a awesome idea but it would realy stink if we where cut off from that and I have a hunch that the same thing will happen with spore as in Simcity4

I doubt that will happen so don't worry. This aspect of the game is the main idea behind it, and not just an extra thing so it will probably just as good on the mac as on PC! :D

#20 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3783 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:23 PM

It looks awesome, but how is the gameplay gonna be? Moving a bacteria around eating macromolecules doesnt seem as fun, even though it has gorgeous graphics.. It has great potential, but untill we hear some news (Its been a year) I think we should keep the drool-cup in the closet. ;)
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter