Will RCT3 become Universal? - Aspyr?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 tranceme

tranceme

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 04:28 PM

Does anyone know if Aspyr will make RTC3 universal?  I know that it has some bugs for certain machines running on pre-Intel Macs. So, maybe Aspyr is working on these bugs first.  Although, for me it played okay on PB 1.67 1.5 GB ram.  It got slow at times and menus were sticky.  But, it never crashed on me.  I would love to see this game in universal mode on my MacBook Pro.

#2 simsbaby

simsbaby

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 03:34 AM

Of corse they will, it's a recent game. [rantmode] But they can't port Sim City, even though they just repackaged it in a new box for $55.[/rantmode]

Intel iMac 2 GHz Core Duo
Ram : 2 GB
Hard Drive : 250 GB

#3 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:52 PM

View Postsimsbaby, on March 2nd 2006, 03:34 AM, said:

Of corse they will, it's a recent game. [rantmode] But they can't port Sim City, even though they just repackaged it in a new box for $55.[/rantmode]
Who told you we can't port SimCity?  I'm not confirming or denying that particular game for Universal but please don't just post stuff like this as if it is a known fact.

The 100% truth is we're still evaluating which games we're making Universal.  The ones we are certain of are Doom 3 (released), Sims 2/University/Nightlife (soon) and Spiderman 2/Shrek 2 (released). High possibilities include Civ 3 Complete, Star Wars KOTOR & Jedi Academy.  Others we are looking at but haven't decided include RCT3, SimCity, Call of Duty, and about a dozen other games.  No game has been ruled out by Aspyr, and I'm the person who makes that final decision.  

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#4 tranceme

tranceme

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:21 PM

Thanks Glenda! I really appreciate the response.

I'm happy to hear that you guys are considering some of these other titles.  I'm actually holding off on playing RCT3 on my new machine anymore until an UB update becomes available.  I wouldn't expect, although I would love it, SimCity 4.  Main reason I buy games from Aspyr is because I have always felt that quality was important to them and that they listen to the gamers.  Keep em coming.

#5 mrnintendoguy

mrnintendoguy

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 08:54 PM

I know at least 1 person who will buy RCT3 if its UB'ed
(and its not me, I already have it)

#6 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:26 PM

How much do we have to pay to get Splinter Cell ported?  ;)
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#7 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 12:13 AM

View Postmrnintendoguy, on March 3rd 2006, 06:54 PM, said:

I know at least 1 person who will buy RCT3 if its UB'ed
(and its not me, I already have it)

your talking about me or are you.. and yes i will, if it gets ported that is.

View PostGlendaAdams, on March 2nd 2006, 10:52 AM, said:

Who told you we can't port SimCity?  I'm not confirming or denying that particular game for Universal but please don't just post stuff like this as if it is a known fact.

The 100% truth is we're still evaluating which games we're making Universal.  The ones we are certain of are Doom 3 (released), Sims 2/University/Nightlife (soon) and Spiderman 2/Shrek 2 (released). High possibilities include Civ 3 Complete, Star Wars KOTOR & Jedi Academy.  Others we are looking at but haven't decided include RCT3, SimCity, Call of Duty, and about a dozen other games.  No game has been ruled out by Aspyr, and I'm the person who makes that final decision.  

Glenda

it would make the obsessive call of duty fan boy inside of me very happy if you do make CoD universal binary.

#8 gbafan

gbafan

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:10 AM

View PostGlendaAdams, on March 2nd 2006, 10:52 AM, said:

Glenda
Since this whole UB thing is still quite new, although the development houses have known about it for sometime, I'm delaying my purchase of any Intel Macs until a good majority of my games will run natively.

Wouldn't games that can't even run well on an Intel Mac be the first to get ported?
Advocate for consumer friendly DRM.

#9 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:46 AM

View Postgbafan, on March 7th 2006, 10:10 AM, said:

Wouldn't games that can't even run well on an Intel Mac be the first to get ported?

Yes, that is our priority.  So far most everything runs, but some just don't run very well.  So those will get higher priority.
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#10 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:57 AM

Still hoping for this... even if it didn't get any mention in the last newsletter, after being mentioned the month before.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#11 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:20 PM

View PostPegasus, on May 8th 2006, 09:57 AM, said:

Still hoping for this... even if it didn't get any mention in the last newsletter, after being mentioned the month before.
It's in our plans, but not far enough along to announce anything yet.

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#12 akac

akac

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:07 PM

Wasn't that sort of an announcement in itself? :)

#13 chris409

chris409

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 10:03 PM

I ended up getting a new 20" iMac (Intel) sooner than I expected  :D

I'm planning to buy RTC3 after the UB update is released.  I would not want to play it on my new box if it doesn't run that well.  I'm cool with waiting a bit.

#14 simsbaby

simsbaby

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 12:01 AM

I don't think you need to wait, I was playing in sandbox mode and it runs fine.

Intel iMac 2 GHz Core Duo
Ram : 2 GB
Hard Drive : 250 GB

#15 tranceme

tranceme

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 02:13 PM

View Postsimsbaby, on May 15th 2006, 10:01 PM, said:

I don't think you need to wait, I was playing in sandbox mode and it runs fine.

Really? It runs fine for you?  It's sloooow on my MacBook Pro 2.0 with 2GB of memory. Rotating in the game can take up to 3-5 seconds at time.  And, the UI is painfully slow.  It takes so long, you left there thinking the game crashed.

It was slow at times on my PB 1.67, but but very playable.   But, now I won't or can't even play it.  Although laptops aren't considered true gaming machines, I still think the MacBook Pro should be able to handle this game just fine.  Just need the UB.

So, for now still...wait

#16 theishkid

theishkid

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 02:54 PM

I just wish they would throw us something. Just say yes it is coming eventually or No we will not be doing this. I'm talking about the universal update as well as expansion packs. We're coming up on a year since Soaked was released for the PC. I'm not even asking for a date... just a yes or no. I don't understand why that is so much to ask for.
I'm not trying to sound like I am complaining, and I don't want all the developers to have to stop what they are doing just to answer these questions... but sometimes they act like it's a big secret or something.

#17 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:12 PM

View Posttheishkid, on May 25th 2006, 06:54 AM, said:

I just wish they would throw us something. Just say yes it is coming eventually or No we will not be doing this. I'm talking about the universal update as well as expansion packs. We're coming up on a year since Soaked was released for the PC. I'm not even asking for a date... just a yes or no. I don't understand why that is so much to ask for.
Glenda basically said they are doing the universal update but they don't know when it will be finished. What more do you want? As for expansions, Aspyr is generally contractually prevented from commenting on titles which are being negotiated.

#18 theishkid

theishkid

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:49 PM

I already said what more I want. I want a yes or no if the expansions are coming. I'm bored with the original and I will delete it from my system for now if nothing new is coming. But if an expansion may be coming within the next 3 or 4 months I would wait.

Look... like I said in the original post... I'm not trying to sound like I am complaining. I'm sorry that it comes off that way. I just don't understand why they can't talk about anything. Aspyr was the one to bring the original game, why wouldn't they bring the expansions if they were coming out? It's not like it's some big top secret story here.

Again, I'm sorry to complain... you can just save the flamming because I can already feel it coming. But just about everyone here can't say they are not a little upset by how much longer it takes for these games to be released on a mac. I mean it's ridiculous that these games take a year before they come out. I'm not blaming the mac porters either, I know it's not their fault and I know they are worried now that boot camp is here. Why would someone want to wait a year or more on a game when they can just run it under windows when it comes out. I guess I'm just saying that either the original publishers need to allow companies like Aspyr to announce things earlier or they need to get the games to the mac porters faster.

#19 DemiGodRob

DemiGodRob

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 03:14 PM

I loved RRTC2.  But i had a real hard time warming up to RTC3.  I think the zones is what started to kill it right off the bat.  I couldnt play the way i did back in RRTC2 so i was a little put off.  I give it a try every now and then but its just not the same.  Im not sure why, but i just cant get into it.

When a UB game is ported will most of them be free like so many games when OSX came out?
A game like this there is no way i would buy a UB version of it if i already owned it for PPC.  Im glad to hear so many games are being ported to UB but i must admit that even when i do go with an Intel Mac right away i wont be replacing many games at all unless the UB port is free.  I have a hard time purchasing something twice.  I was the same way for when OSX came out.

I find my self not purchasing a lot of software for this reason.

#20 theishkid

theishkid

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 03:46 PM

most companies like Aspyr are great enough to release the UB updates for free. I think apple is charging for the UB for some of their aps such as final cut pro.