129 replies to this topic

#1 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:40 PM

On Saturday my long awaited Mac Book Pro with the 2.0GHz processor arrived (2GB RAM, 100GB HD, 256MB garphics memory card).

First off before I installed any of my software (Photoshop etc) I gave it a whirl and these are the things I noticed. Please note that I'll be using this mainly for work, so maybe not so many games will be installed on here (except DOOM3 with the UB patch, but more on that later).

Safari is lightning quick. BUT, any site that uses Flash is waaaaay slow since the FlashPlayer doesn't appear to be UB yet. Also some sites, like some of the stuff I made for clients, show a strange bug where some parts appear while other parts remained hidden. I think this will be cleared up through later patches (I hope). I also tried Firefox and Opera, and those are much slower compared to Safari, but Safari is super fast so it's not really surprising.

Anything else like Mail and other such items native to the MacBook Pro goes very quick. Overall impression, as fast as my G5 or faster in some parts.

Then I installed Adobe Creative Suite 2 and Macromedia Studio 8. I didn't notice that much of a difference compared to my x2 2GHz G5 at work and my x1.8 G5 at home, but I have yet to fully start testing those apps out. I'm a littel apprehensive about Flash though, since if the Player is running that slow, then I can't work off of it till it's fixed. I'll post more about this as I work with the software more and find out the details.

The only game I installed was DOOM3, with the patch. By default the game tells me my hardware is good for a 640x480 setting on the medium resolution. So I tried the game with this setting, and it runs fairly smooth. Nice job to Aspyr I say. I have yet to set it to Ultra and try it, so I'll do that tonight. More later.

For now, I think as long as the patches keep coming for all the major software and plugins etc, this laptop can be quite nice. Quite nice indeed. :happy:

>> tBC if you think this is OT then please move it there.

#2 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 February 2006 - 09:48 PM

Why the heck would this be off topic?  ;)

Anyway, rather than test Doom 3 on Ultra (which is designed for 512MB cards), could you try it on High at either 1024x768 or your display's native resolution (1440x800 I believe).
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#3 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:24 PM

View PostTomatocow, on February 26th 2006, 05:40 PM, said:

The only game I installed was DOOM3, with the patch. By default the game tells me my hardware is good for a 640x480 setting on the medium resolution. So I tried the game with this setting, and it runs fairly smooth. Nice job to Aspyr I say. I have yet to set it to Ultra and try it, so I'll do that tonight. More later.

wow, i expected DOOM 3 to run much faster than that if it had the universal binary patch...

#4 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 11:47 PM

The flash player that comes with it is UB, otherwise UB Safari couldn't run it.

#5 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 12:28 AM

View Postbobbob, on February 27th 2006, 02:47 PM, said:

The flash player that comes with it is UB, otherwise UB Safari couldn't run it.

I've heard the Player that comes with Safari is Intel-based but not Universal Binary (or something like that I don't know the details), but anyway it ran way way slower than my G5. Perhaps it'll always be this way? I'm not sure. It would however give me a chance to develop my Flash movies to a lower spec machine, so as far as work goes, that might be fine. It does get a tad annoying seeing any site with intense Flash animated contents.

#6 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 12:47 AM

View PostQuicksilver, on February 27th 2006, 12:48 PM, said:

Why the heck would this be off topic?  ;)

Anyway, rather than test Doom 3 on Ultra (which is designed for 512MB cards), could you try it on High at either 1024x768 or your display's native resolution (1440x800 I believe).

Well, you know... tBC moves lots of stuff to OT.. :happy:

I'll try the 1024x768 tonight.

#7 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:11 AM

View PostLemon Lime, on February 26th 2006, 10:24 PM, said:

wow, i expected DOOM 3 to run much faster than that if it had the universal binary patch...

Don't trust the auto-sensing feature in games.  They tend to be inaccurate.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#8 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:18 AM

One thing I did notice which I'm going to have to call Apple about, is the DVD drive in the machine does NOT play any sort of DVD movies. Movies that I've bought through proper channels, with the matching encoding (I'm region-2 as are the DVD movies I own). The error message is in Japanese so I'll have to translate it, but it's something like "could not find compatible media" or something along those lines. It came with a Matsupopsnizzlea DVD drive, and I've seen on some sites here that there appears to be similar problems reported. Anyway I have to call to find out what. That's actually pretty annoying.

edit: HAHAHAHAHA --> Matsupopsnizzlea.

It's Matsush.ita lol

#9 atari

atari

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:48 AM

Regarding Flash Player:
http://www.flashinsi...y-flash-plugin/
I have noticed some slowdowns ,too,but not really a dealbreaker to me.

As for Camino and Firefox:
The latter is still buggy but the former should work very well and be super snappy.
Have you tried this version?
http://ftp.mozilla.o.../Camino-1.0.dmg

I am praying for a UB of Skype and particularly EyeTV. Those two eat up way too much cpu time under Rosetta.

.....and enjoy your new MacBook Pro :)
27 inch quad beastie ordered :)

#10 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:03 AM

View Postatari, on February 27th 2006, 05:48 PM, said:

Regarding Flash Player:
http://www.flashinsi...y-flash-plugin/
I have noticed some slowdowns ,too,but not really a dealbreaker to me.

As for Camino and Firefox:
The latter is still buggy but the former should work very well and be super snappy.
Have you tried this version?
http://ftp.mozilla.o.../Camino-1.0.dmg

I am praying for a UB of Skype and particularly EyeTV. Those two eat up way too much cpu time under Rosetta.

.....and enjoy your new MacBook Pro :)

Thanks for the tip on Camino. I'll install that later when I get home. For now the Flash sites I made that were slowing down worked great. Firefox on the other hand runs slow even on the office G5. Since I create some fairly graphics intesive Flash sites (because I'm asked to), FlashPlayer slowing down on the laptop is a fairly big no-no. It doesn't stop me from working, but it sucks.

.....and thank you, I am enjoying it very much right now :)

#11 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:07 AM

OK I just tried DOOM3 on HIGH setting at 1024. OMG that is smooth and fast! I was quite impressed. Oh man I am getting sucked into this game again. Oh no I have to work! Noooooo :o

#12 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:05 AM

View PostTomatocow, on February 26th 2006, 05:40 PM, said:

>> tBC if you think this is OT then please move it there.
This is just what the Intel Mac forum was created for and as much as I'd like to personally punish you and watch you suffer as your topic languishes in agony and burns for eternity in the Dante's inferno known as Off Topic I am forced by The Law to leave it be.  Curse The Law!  You might have won this time but you haven't seen the last of me Tomatocow!  I'll be back!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#13 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:24 AM

View PostQuicksilver, on February 27th 2006, 02:11 AM, said:

Don't trust the auto-sensing feature in games.  They tend to be inaccurate.

Yeah, I seem to remember Doom 3 recommended that my dual 2.5 G5 + X800 run at 640x480 with settings on medium as well.

View PostTomatocow, on February 27th 2006, 02:18 AM, said:

edit: HAHAHAHAHA --> Matsupopsnizzlea.

It's Matsush.ita lol

Gotta love profanity filters that do this: "s/[badword]/popsnizzle/"  Surely a little more sophistication is in order?  ;)

--Eric

#14 1337

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:15 AM

Cow, how soon did you get notice your MBP was shipping?  Was it ahead of schedule at all?

(desperately waiting for mine)

#15 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:31 AM

View PostTomatocow, on February 27th 2006, 06:07 AM, said:

OK I just tried DOOM3 on HIGH setting at 1024. OMG that is smooth and fast! I was quite impressed. Oh man I am getting sucked into this game again. Oh no I have to work! Noooooo :o

could you give some exact frame rates and possibly try the time demo on ultra, just to see if it is playable?

#16 yves

yves

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:47 AM

by playing doom3 with denton mod. it's possible to play ultra quality on non 512 mb cards.

#17 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3783 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 27 February 2006 - 04:59 PM

View PostTomatocow, on February 27th 2006, 03:07 PM, said:

How about at full resolution?
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#18 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 06:16 PM

1337: When the upgrades happened I received an email saying it's going to ship on the 28th of February and arrive on the 6th of March. But as it turned out it was shipped on the 21st and arrived on the 25th. :happy:

Lemon Lime: I don't know frame rates, don't know how to get that info. All I know is, it played smooth, fast, and looked beautiful on HIGH at 1024 :sabber:

Thain Esh Kelch: I'll give it a go during lunch (I brought it to the office but can't seem to find the office wireless network. Grrrr)

#19 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 06:39 PM

View PostTomatocow, on February 27th 2006, 06:16 PM, said:

Lemon Lime: I don't know frame rates, don't know how to get that info.

Timedemo demo1
com_showFPS 1

#20 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 06:43 PM

View PostTomatocow, on February 27th 2006, 04:16 PM, said:

Lemon Lime: I don't know frame rates, don't know how to get that info. All I know is, it played smooth, fast, and looked beautiful on HIGH at 1024 :sabber:
\

to get the time demo open the console using the ~ key and type time demo1.