#61 kingarthur_kom

kingarthur_kom

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 05:33 PM

View PostHuntn, on April 4th 2006, 06:45 AM, said:

I've only done 2 dungeons and so far mobs are coming at you in 1's and 2's. That is what I would expect unless there is a situation where you must sneak to avoid a pack.

Personally I would prefer a party even if it is a NPC or 2 and sometimes larger groups of mobs to deal with. But I'm dealing with it.

-Hunt'n

Download an NPC/companion mod.  ;)
http://planeteldersc...ry_select_id=11

#62 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 April 2006 - 05:48 AM

View Postkingarthur_kom, on April 13th 2006, 06:33 PM, said:

Download an NPC/companion mod.  ;)
http://planeteldersc...ry_select_id=11

Should I be amazed at the depth of mods available for this game? I would not have guessed you could alter the game in this fashion.
Thanks!

-Hunt'n

#63 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:41 AM

View PostHuntn, on April 14th 2006, 07:48 AM, said:

Should I be amazed at the depth of mods available for this game? I would not have guessed you could alter the game in this fashion.
Thanks!

-Hunt'n

The problem with NPC characters in this game is that they tend to rush into combat at the slightest hint of an enemy presence.  Do some of the Fighter's Guild quests (or that Oblivion Gate mission where you meet up with the two knights) and you'll see that it gets to be a rather annoying problem particularly in some of the more cramped locales.  Maybe it's because I tend to play as a stealth/thief-based character, but I find it far more satisfying to tread carefully, scoping out the terrain ahead and using poisoned arrows to negate any distant threats before they become huge problems.  

The NPC's (mages, fighters, etc) all seem to think they're Conan the Barbarian, gladly racing off into trap-filled rooms to engage hordes of enemies in a toe-to-toe manner.

#64 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 05:05 PM

View PostMacProject, on April 14th 2006, 12:41 PM, said:

The problem with NPC characters in this game is that they tend to rush into combat at the slightest hint of an enemy presence.  Do some of the Fighter's Guild quests (or that Oblivion Gate mission where you meet up with the two knights) and you'll see that it gets to be a rather annoying problem particularly in some of the more cramped locales.  Maybe it's because I tend to play as a stealth/thief-based character, but I find it far more satisfying to tread carefully, scoping out the terrain ahead and using poisoned arrows to negate any distant threats before they become huge problems.  

The NPC's (mages, fighters, etc) all seem to think they're Conan the Barbarian, gladly racing off into trap-filled rooms to engage hordes of enemies in a toe-to-toe manner.

Are you referring to the mod or just NPCs helpers in general? I would like to have help more for companionship but I don't want them attacking on their own. I have witnessed the patrolling NPCs attack as soon as any bad character/critter shows their face.

-Hunt'n

#65 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 05:36 PM

If the game's core AI isn't really built for companions, I'm not surprised they're limited in the sophistication of their behaviors. That'd be a difficult element to mod in.

#66 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 09:54 PM

Oblivion fighting...I like it. You can dodge spells and physical attacks, maneuver for advantage, slash as you retreat, block using both your shield and sword. If you used to a WoW kind of fighting, better make some adjustments. :)

-Hunt'n

#67 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:52 AM

View PostHuntn, on April 14th 2006, 07:05 PM, said:

Are you referring to the mod or just NPCs helpers in general? I would like to have help more for companionship but I don't want them attacking on their own. I have witnessed the patrolling NPCs attack as soon as any bad character/critter shows their face.

-Hunt'n

Both in a way.  Since I'm playing the 360 version, I only have access to NPC helpers.  But they all seem to react the same way (running off to engage an enemy at the slightest hint of hostility), with the exception of the Dark Brotherhood helper that you get once you finish that storyline...for some reason, you're able to tell your DB npc to proceed carefully which I'm guessing means that he goes into a sort of stealth mode.  

That's not the case with any of the Mage's and Fighter's Guild NPC helpers who can pick up the existence of enemy critters even through narrow walls in some of the twistier mines.

#68 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:23 AM

View PostHuntn, on April 14th 2006, 04:05 PM, said:

NPCs in general?

Yes. Towsnfolk have an uncanny ability to open a can of whoopass on hostile soldiers, and bandit camps tend to collect random piles of loot. Don't even bring up the wildlife, they just don't get the survival thing.

#69 kingarthur_kom

kingarthur_kom

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:39 PM

View PostMacProject, on April 20th 2006, 08:52 AM, said:

Both in a way.  Since I'm playing the 360 version, I only have access to NPC helpers.  But they all seem to react the same way (running off to engage an enemy at the slightest hint of hostility), with the exception of the Dark Brotherhood helper that you get once you finish that storyline...for some reason, you're able to tell your DB npc to proceed carefully which I'm guessing means that he goes into a sort of stealth mode.  

That's not the case with any of the Mage's and Fighter's Guild NPC helpers who can pick up the existence of enemy critters even through narrow walls in some of the twistier mines.

Well the game & mod tools just came out. I'm sure modders will have fixed or changed a lot of those things.
This site=
http://www.tessource.net/
has a lot of mods.

#70 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 08:47 PM

View Postkingarthur_kom, on April 20th 2006, 06:39 PM, said:

I'm sure modders will have fixed or changed a lot of those things.

Not on the 360, like the guy has.

#71 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:24 AM

As part of the Mage Guild quests, I rescued one guy in a cave, but he did not seem to be the aggressive type. I could tell him to "stay". :)

-Hunt'n

#72 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:50 AM

View PostHuntn, on April 21st 2006, 09:24 AM, said:

As part of the Mage Guild quests, I rescued one guy in a cave, but he did not seem to be the aggressive type. I could tell him to "stay". :)

-Hunt'n

There are some instances where you can tell people to "wait here", but that's not always the case.