Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:17 PM

View PostMacProject, on April 3rd 2006, 09:24 AM, said:

The main thing with ES4 is that the game's basic system is largely unchanged from Morrowind's.  That is, alchemy, guilds, leveling, all operate on a similar level....

As for the guilds, yes.  You can join any and all guilds.  My current character is a member of the thieves guild, the fighters guild, and the mage's guild (plus a few other "unofficial guilds" which I won't mention to avoid spoiling the game).  Join whatever interests you, there's no limit.

Thanks for the info!

For those interested in ES$-
Oblivion has an interesting concept- dungeons that level with you. This means you can play any dungeon at any time and be competitive. Not only that but the rewards scale up too. Good idea or not? My first thought was it was not so good, but then I started thinking this is really not much different than dungeons with set levels. But this system offers you much greater flexibility and it makes all of the dungeons viable at any time during the game.  How can that be bad? Hmm. I've not had enough experience with the game yet, but I wonder if you can ever get in over your head? That is an aspect that I would still like to have. Don't know if Oblivion has it.

I assume you can't form parties. That will be sorely missed imo.

-Hunt'n

#42 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:42 PM

View Postetehoy, on February 27th 2006, 10:09 PM, said:

I have a simple solution for your gaming needs and it involves purchasing a PC. Gaming on the Mac is a sad lesson in how to be disappointed on a regular basis. I don't see how our wishlist of non-Mac games will ever make it over to the Mac platform within our lifetime.

There are too many games listed on the PC side that we'll never see on the Mac that could possibly justify waiting as long as we have. I'm ready to say that a Mac will always live in my home, but I cannot expect it to meet my gaming needs.  

I apologize for this diatribe.

Xbox 360 is the answer for severe cases of gaming envy (the $400 version with headset, harddrive, and online setup- all though for Oblivion, there is no online).
-Hunt'n

#43 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 07:07 PM

View PostHuntn, on April 3rd 2006, 08:17 PM, said:

Oblivion has an interesting concept- dungeons that level with you. This means you can play any dungeon at any time and be competitive. Not only that but the rewards scale up too. Good idea or not?

Not.  Now I don't care if Oblivion is ever ported...personally I really don't like RPGs that do stuff like that, and Oblivion is definitely not the first.  It's not at all "realistic" (quotes used because levels and dungeons and stuff aren't exactly realistic to begin with, I know), and it removes one of the key incentives for progressing IMO.  Seems like lazy game design too, although understandable for a huge game, where trying to balance everything properly without resorting to "cheats" like this would take a long time.  I'd say, if you want all the dungeons to be available at all times, then just do away with levels entirely and come up with something different.  I suppose I understand the appeal for some people, but I like building up so I can defeat a tough area that was previously inaccessible.  I also find it satisfying to go back to an earlier area and smack monsters around that used to give me trouble when my character was young and wimpy.  Can't do any of that with "leveling-with-you" nonsense....

--Eric

#44 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:19 PM

View PostHuntn, on April 3rd 2006, 08:17 PM, said:

Thanks for the info!

For those interested in ES$-
Oblivion has an interesting concept- dungeons that level with you. This means you can play any dungeon at any time and be competitive. Not only that but the rewards scale up too. Good idea or not? My first thought was it was not so good, but then I started thinking this is really not much different than dungeons with set levels. But this system offers you much greater flexibility and it makes all of the dungeons viable at any time during the game.  How can that be bad? Hmm. I've not had enough experience with the game yet, but I wonder if you can ever get in over your head? That is an aspect that I would still like to have. Don't know if Oblivion has it.

I assume you can't form parties. That will be sorely missed imo.

-Hunt'n

To be fair, ES3: Morrowind had the same feature.  
The other thing to remember is that all the Elder Scrolls games have a difficulty level slider that you can adjust on the fly if you feel any particular scenario is too tough.  
Can you ever get in over your head?  Yes and no.  If you feel overmatched there are other ways to clear a given scenario be it using magic, invisibility, or simply running by as many threats as possible...that's the beauty of the open-ended nature of the game.  

No party formation, but NPC guards will join in the fray to help out every now and then be it on the main quest or the misc quests.  

Also, ES4 is Xbox Live aware.  Downloadable Horse armor is one feature that's in the works, and I imagine new items (or maybe even completely new quests) could be offered.

View PostEric5h5, on April 3rd 2006, 09:07 PM, said:

Not.  Now I don't care if Oblivion is ever ported...personally I really don't like RPGs that do stuff like that, and Oblivion is definitely not the first.  It's not at all "realistic" (quotes used because levels and dungeons and stuff aren't exactly realistic to begin with, I know), and it removes one of the key incentives for progressing IMO.  Seems like lazy game design too, although understandable for a huge game, where trying to balance everything properly without resorting to "cheats" like this would take a long time.  I'd say, if you want all the dungeons to be available at all times, then just do away with levels entirely and come up with something different.  I suppose I understand the appeal for some people, but I like building up so I can defeat a tough area that was previously inaccessible.  I also find it satisfying to go back to an earlier area and smack monsters around that used to give me trouble when my character was young and wimpy.  Can't do any of that with "leveling-with-you" nonsense....

--Eric

Well that's true in some aspects, but you ARE building up your character throughout the game which helps to  give you some advantages over leveled enemies.  For example, if you work your marksman skill up to the expert level, then you gain the ability to zoom in on targets.  If you boost your blade skills to a certain level, you gain a power move to even the odds a bit.  And in the case of a magic user, your spells become deadlier and more efficient in later levels allowing you to even the odds with even the most hardcore enemy regardless if they use magic or not.  

The other thing to remember is that NOT ALL enemies are level based...in some dungeons you'll face goblin variants with maybe a few leveled enemies towards the end.

#45 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 12:25 AM

View PostMacProject, on April 3rd 2006, 09:19 PM, said:

Also, ES4 is Xbox Live aware.  Downloadable Horse armor is one feature that's in the works

Uhhh.. woo? $2.50 for a set of decorative armor? Play it on a PC, where at least you can use mods. Morrowind on a 360 is a sad experience.

#46 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 05:45 AM

View PostEric5h5, on April 3rd 2006, 08:07 PM, said:

--Eric

I'm not disagreeing with you. :) My latest experience with set levels was WoW so I'll use that for a comparison. In a game with set levels, you basically stick with the zones that fit your level. As you increase your level you progress to the next higher zone. So you are basically working the zones that fit your level. If you always work quests at your level, your missing nothing.

If I understand the concept, what you miss with ES4's setup is that there are no "red" quests and no really dangerous areas to traverse. I'm thinking when I took my new Night Elf (WoW) across the wetlands moving her to Stormwind. That was a dangerous situation. I was living on the edge for 10 min. And there were other occasions in WoW where I got in over my head. :)

But with ES4,  I'm not 100% sure as I'm just at the beginning levels of the game. If this is true it will bother people who like living on the edge.  In ES4, (I think) you can go anywhere at any time. If you prefer the set level concept, you won't be happy with ES4.

I've only done 2 dungeons and so far mobs are coming at you in 1's and 2's. That is what I would expect unless there is a situation where you must sneak to avoid a pack.

Personally I would prefer a party even if it is a NPC or 2 and sometimes larger groups of mobs to deal with. But I'm dealing with it.

-Hunt'n

#47 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:06 AM

View Postbobbob, on April 4th 2006, 02:25 AM, said:

Uhhh.. woo? $2.50 for a set of decorative armor? Play it on a PC, where at least you can use mods. Morrowind on a 360 is a sad experience.

Well, in this era of customizable iPod cases and cell phone faceplate, there apparently IS a market out there who'll pay a small sum in order to customize their characters.  
Morrowind on a 360 is a sad experience?  Considering Morrowind only came out on the original Xbox I'll take it you're referring to Oblivion.  Whatever.  It's the same game as you'd get on the PC for a fraction of the price.  Mods are fine, but the game is already quite large to keep any gamer busy for quite some time.

#48 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:26 AM

View PostHuntn, on April 4th 2006, 01:45 PM, said:

I'm not disagreeing with you. :) My latest experience with set levels was WoW so I'll use that for a comparison. In a game with set levels, you basically stick with the zones that fit your level. As you increase your level you progress to the next higher zone. So you are basically working the zones that fit your level. If you always work quests at your level, your missing nothing.

If I understand the concept, what you miss with ES4's setup is that there are no "red" quests and no really dangerous areas to traverse. I'm thinking when I took my new Night Elf (WoW) across the wetlands moving her to Stormwind. That was a dangerous situation. I was living on the edge for 10 min. And there were other occasions in WoW where I got in over my head. :)

The advantage/disadvantage with WoW's setup is that there's a lot more content that you can ever fit in on your level cap. I know I for one missed several high level areas (40-55) before I struck 60, and going back to them after that just isn't fun. But on the same hand you don't have to play everything.

The idea of scalable dungeons wold be similar FPS progress. If you're at later levels you have bigger weapons, but also tougher opponents... so why is this a bad idea in an RPG? I'd hate finding a new ruin/cave/dungeon in Oblivion at later levels to fight way way through small rats and weak goblins for no reward.  I'm not sure exactly how much this scales though, since I never played through Morrowind and haven't gotten that far in Oblivion yet.

Personally I would prefer a party even if it is a NPC or 2 and sometimes larger groups of mobs to deal with. But I'm dealing with it.

You will fight together with NPCs though, you just won't have a constant sidekick... at least not so far... I don't know if that changes, but I haven't heard anything that says it will.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#49 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:43 AM

View PostWhaleman, on April 4th 2006, 09:26 AM, said:

The idea of scalable dungeons wold be similar FPS progress. If you're at later levels you have bigger weapons, but also tougher opponents... so why is this a bad idea in an RPG?

I think either way is a valid philosophy for leveling and it boils down to preference. In ES4, I do enjoy that I can go into any dungeon in any order and have a challenge.
-Hunt'n

#50 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 04:40 AM

Well this Forum Just Hit the popsnizzle

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#51 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:30 PM

View Postaussiemacgamer, on April 10th 2006, 06:40 AM, said:

Well this Forum Just Hit the popsnizzle

How so? Being on the third page, and still more or less on topic with a thread that is asking a simple question is pretty impressive.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#52 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:37 PM

Dude boot camp

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#53 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:09 PM

View Postaussiemacgamer, on April 10th 2006, 09:37 PM, said:

Dude boot camp

I rarely play a game without other stuff running in the background. I like to switch between tasks, and I don't want to have to take the time to reboot whenever I play a game. Boot Camp isn't this "solution" people are making it out to be. If I wanted to use Windows, I would have built a gaming rig. In the long run, I suspect that a minority of Mac users will dual boot.

#54 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:44 PM

View PostDark_Archon, on April 10th 2006, 11:09 PM, said:

I rarely play a game without other stuff running in the background. I like to switch between tasks, and I don't want to have to take the time to reboot whenever I play a game. Boot Camp isn't this "solution" people are making it out to be. If I wanted to use Windows, I would have built a gaming rig. In the long run, I suspect that a minority of Mac users will dual boot.

Dual booting is not much different than when OSX first appeared and I booted into classic for better game  performance, but I probably was one of the Mac minority. :)

-Hunt'n

#55 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:34 AM

Do you seriosly think you will see another mac port apart from the ones already planned? :huh:

IMG Resident Crackpot

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

#56 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:41 AM

View Postaussiemacgamer, on April 10th 2006, 11:34 PM, said:

Do you seriosly think you will see another mac port apart from the ones already planned? :huh:
Not everyone has an intel Mac yet, so yes. ;)
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#57 the_cloudgazer

the_cloudgazer

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:04 AM

View PostSpace_Pirate_Killer, on April 11th 2006, 11:41 AM, said:

Not everyone has an intel Mac yet, so yes. ;)

I don't know so much. I think maybe the game developers will slow down a bit to see how the boot camp scenario affects the game market.

I can't see too many games being ported in the near future.

#58 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:12 AM

View Postthe_cloudgazer, on April 11th 2006, 12:04 PM, said:

I don't know so much. I think maybe the game developers will slow down a bit to see how the boot camp scenario affects the game market.

They will slow down a bit, but they probably won't stop.

#59 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:49 PM

View Postthe_cloudgazer, on April 11th 2006, 11:04 AM, said:

Mac ports were all ready slow. I think the sales figures for ports that are all ready in-work will be watched closely. If sales hold up, I see no reason why they will not continue ports for those games that are port capable.

-Hunt'n

#60 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 04:24 PM

View PostHuntn, on April 11th 2006, 04:49 PM, said:

Mac ports were all ready slow. I think the sales figures for ports that are all ready in-work will be watched closely. If sales hold up, I see no reason why they will not continue ports for those games that are port capable.

-Hunt'n
The day of the big-budget, high-profile, high-sys-req Mac port is likely over barring a minor miracle, but the game is still worth discussing.

Anyhoo, Firingsquad's video perf report, part 1 is up:

3D Performance with Oblivion: High-end Cards

UPDATE 4/6/06: We've just updated the CrossFire vs SLI performance numbers with the proper results after renaming the Oblivion.exe to "AFR-FriendlyD3D.exe". To skip straight to those results, please click here.

When it comes to outdoor visuals, there aren't many games out there today that can match up to Oblivion. But with all that eye candy comes a huge hit on frame rate, and thus, many of you are in the market looking to upgrade. In this article we've rounded up 9 of the latest high-end cards, including the GeForce 6800 GT, to see who comes out on top in performance. We've also got SLI vs CrossFire performance compared as well. You may be surprised by what we found!
http://www.firingsqu...nd_performance/