Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:17 AM

It's highly unlikely, but I guess Oblivion could find its way to the Mac. It's gonna be one of the top-sellers on PC this year, and since Aspyr's only doing AAA titles at this time there might be a chance, even if it means to license Havok at a hefty price.

Do you guys remember, how Tuncer said he was shocked when Glenda told him a few of the games Aspyr's trying to get a license. This could mean some KILLER app no one ever dreamed about. Like Oblivion, or Gears of War. :D
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#22 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:53 AM

View PostMacProject, on March 27th 2006, 10:15 AM, said:

Fantastic game.  It's all I've been playing for the last week.
Everything that was good about Morrowind has been improved, and those crash bugs and obscenely long save/load times have been ironed out.  
The physics system is the true star of the show here...graphics are great, but the realism provided by Havok is a fine example of just how much more immersive the game can become when objects and enemies react properly to your attacks/actions.

Havok...
Love to hate it or hate to love it or just plain hate it? :P

View PostJan, on March 27th 2006, 10:17 AM, said:

Do you guys remember, how Tuncer said he was shocked when Glenda told him a few of the games Aspyr's trying to get a license. This could mean some KILLER app no one ever dreamed about. Like Oblivion, or Gears of War. :D

Fingers crossed!

Is ES4 out for the consols? Whatcha playn on?

-Hunt'n

#23 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 27 March 2006 - 12:11 PM

I have a co-worker here who said it's the best RPG he's ever played on his PC. He can't wait to go home each day and takes long lunches at home now playing that game.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#24 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld

Posted 27 March 2006 - 01:12 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on March 27th 2006, 08:11 PM, said:

I have a co-worker here who said it's the best RPG he's ever played on his PC. He can't wait to go home each day and takes long lunches at home now playing that game.

That's what I mean. It's a top-notch title and it's selling VERY well, both on PC and Xbox 360. Maybe this is the one game worth spending the insane amount of dollars to get a Havok license for the Mac.
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#25 Joe M.

Joe M.

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:29 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on March 27th 2006, 11:11 AM, said:

I would echo those sentiments. I'd compare it to a game like Summoner, rendered in a fully 3D world (like an FPS) but complete with the RPG elements you see in games like NWN and Baldur's Gate. It takes it a step further, though, and every single instance of dialogue is voice acted clearly and convincingly, with each individual NPC given its unique personality and flavor. It's just damned cool. I never played the other Elder Scroll games, so maybe this is just me being newbish and these types of things are expected in the game.....whatever the case, Oblivion delivers on so many levels.

#26 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:47 AM

View PostHuntn, on March 27th 2006, 12:53 PM, said:

Havok...
Love to hate it or hate to love it or just plain hate it? :P

Love it, no doubt. :)
Makes a world of difference in the game.  Thinking back to how flat and weightless the combat felt in the Morrowind, having semi-realistic physics in place truly heightens the experience.  Wouldn't be the same without it, IMO.

#27 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 02:56 PM

View PostJoe M., on March 27th 2006, 10:29 PM, said:

I would echo those sentiments. I'd compare it to a game like Summoner, rendered in a fully 3D world (like an FPS) but complete with the RPG elements you see in games like NWN and Baldur's Gate. It takes it a step further, though, and every single instance of dialogue is voice acted clearly and convincingly, with each individual NPC given its unique personality and flavor. It's just damned cool. I never played the other Elder Scroll games, so maybe this is just me being newbish and these types of things are expected in the game.....whatever the case, Oblivion delivers on so many levels.

OK, now I've played it. No game play comment yet (not far enough into it) except the NPC faces are kind of funky looking especially off when they talk for example Jean-Luc, err the viceroy that Patrick Stewart is voice acting for.  And their hair does not fit quite right. And there is no such thing as a handsome character, least not one that I've come across.

I do like the free roaming aspects of the game. One thing I do miss is the social interaction you get with real peeps in a MMO. Talking with NPCs for anything other than needed info seems so artificial. :P

And yes, Havok does make the game seem much more life like.
-Hunt'n

#28 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 28 March 2006 - 05:29 PM

View PostHuntn, on March 28th 2006, 03:56 PM, said:

OK, now I've played it. No game play comment yet (not far enough into it) except the NPC faces are kind of funky looking especially when they talk for example Jean-Luc, err the viceroy that Patrick Stewart is voice acting for.  And their hair does not fit quite right. And there is no such thing as a handsome character, least not one that I've come across.

I do like the free roaming aspects of the game. One thing I do miss is the social interaction you get with real peeps in a MMO. Talking with NPCs for anything other than needed info seems so artificial. :P

-Hunt'n

And I bet it looks darn prttey with your ATI 9800 Pro (256MB VRAM) video card.  ;)

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#29 Joe M.

Joe M.

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:53 PM

View PostHuntn, on March 28th 2006, 01:56 PM, said:

OK, now I've played it. No game play comment yet (not far enough into it) except the NPC faces are kind of funky looking especially when they talk for example Jean-Luc, err the viceroy that Patrick Stewart is voice acting for.  And their hair does not fit quite right. And there is no such thing as a handsome character, least not one that I've come across.

-Hunt'n

Can't say my initial impressions were much different.

#30 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:27 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on March 28th 2006, 05:29 PM, said:

And I bet it looks darn prttey with your ATI 9800 Pro (256MB VRAM) video card.  ;)

Yes it looks good although I had to scale down the resolution to 800x600 for good performance during violent encounters. :)

I admit that the free roaming nature of this game is outstanding. See that distant mountain? You can go climb it. Cities, buildings, and dungeons when entered do produce a cut scene but outdoor zones load dynamically (no cut screens) for a great immersive feeling.  Besides the ugly characters, thumbs up so far. I'm just looking for a pretty lass to party with. The search continues! Hopefully she'll be more talkative than the other characters I've interacted with.  :)

-Hunt'n

#31 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:16 AM

View PostHuntn, on March 28th 2006, 10:27 PM, said:

Hopefully she'll be more talkative than the other characters I've interacted with.  :)

That's one thing I'm noticing about Oblivion...there's much less NPC dialog than there is in Morrowind.  
Can't say that it's a good or bad thing necessarily as Morrowind had too many dialog options at times, so the concise nature of dialog in Oblivion is welcomed in latter parts of the game.  I'm sure much of this has to do with the fact that each NPC actually speaks every word of his/her dialog, but there are times where I felt some of the quests were easier to figure out than in Morrowind simply because of the reduced dialog options.

#32 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 08:15 AM

View PostMacProject, on March 30th 2006, 09:16 AM, said:

That's one thing I'm noticing about Oblivion...there's much less NPC dialog than there is in Morrowind.  
Can't say that it's a good or bad thing necessarily as Morrowind had too many dialog options at times, so the concise nature of dialog in Oblivion is welcomed in latter parts of the game.  I'm sure much of this has to do with the fact that each NPC actually speaks every word of his/her dialog, but there are times where I felt some of the quests were easier to figure out than in Morrowind simply because of the reduced dialog options.

I admit the dialog pretty much keep you on track for the purpose of transferring important story information. Even the conversations between NPCs tends to be for that purpose. I guess it would be unrealistic to expect more.

The world of ES4 is pretty big and it takes a while to run across country. I all most fell over when a found a horse cost $2500 gold. Maybe there are better prices somewhere else.

I've ordered a strategy guide for Oblivion. That usually means I'm in to it.  :) These games are notorious for having quests all over the place that if I was left to my own devices would probably miss half of them. I've now reduced my resolution to 640x480 to get acceptable performance. Even so when outdoor zones dynamically load there are some stutters.

-Hunt'n

#33 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 11:42 AM

View PostHuntn, on April 1st 2006, 09:15 AM, said:

I admit the dialog pretty much keep you on track for the purpose of transferring important story information. Even the conversations between NPCs tends to be for that purpose. I guess it would be unrealistic to expect more.

The world of ES4 is pretty big and it takes a while to run across country. I all most fell over when a found a horse cost $2500 gold. Maybe there are better prices somewhere else.

I've ordered a strategy guide for Oblivion. That usually means I'm in to it.  :) These games are notorious for having quests all over the place that if I was left to my own devices would probably miss half of them. I've now reduced my resolution to 640x480 to get acceptable performance. Even so when outdoor zones dynamically load there are some stutters.

-Hunt'n

It's true, but Morrowind had tons of dialog.  So much, that I quickly grew bored of scanning through each character's massive list of dialog choices.  On the other hand, it really forced you to stay on your toes as some valuable info could easily be missed by scanning too quickly.

As for the horse, progress on the main quest for a bit and you'll find a better "price" for a horse.  ;)

And indeed, I too have taken the liberty of ordering the guide for this game as well.  Not because I need it, but like Morrowind, the guide is well written, is worth reading after you finish the game for all those side and faction quests, and it ties up some loose ends regarding the storyline.  A truly epic game, and one I'll be playing on my 360 for many, many months.  :)

#34 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 06:27 AM

Firingsquad's review is up.

Oblivion Review
The gates to Oblivion have opened, daedra are spilling forth from their domain and trying to destroy your world. And you must save it. No, actually, you don't have to. This is The Elder Scrolls, after all. If you'd rather become grandmaster of the Thieves Guild and ignore the world peril, you can do it - and be stylin' in the finest-looking game this year.
http://www.firingsqu...blivion_review/

#35 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 07:00 AM

View PostMacProject, on April 1st 2006, 12:42 PM, said:

And indeed, I too have taken the liberty of ordering the guide for this game as well.  Not because I need it, but like Morrowind, the guide is well written, is worth reading after you finish the game for all those side and faction quests, and it ties up some loose ends regarding the storyline.  A truly epic game, and one I'll be playing on my 360 for many, many months.  :)

In the mean time, I assume you know more about ES4 than I do. How do you get into Alchemy and potions? I got a mortar and I went to a shop, but did not discover how to make anything. Also, can you join as many guilds as you want to?

View PostBatcat, on April 2nd 2006, 07:27 AM, said:

Firingsquad's review is up.
http://www.firingsqu...blivion_review/

exerpt:
As an open-ended game, Oblivion starts the player out in the game world and places him in a position to pursue the main storyline, but he doesn’t have to. From that point forward, it is possible to join any guilds you like, complete quests in whatever order, explore freely and enjoy – or get lost in – the expansive game world.

This is exactly why I  want a strategy guide. My first inclination is to run off to find the emperor's son. But what about all those other good quests! Then I realized wait, I don't have to run off immediately pursuing the main story line. That will always be there, but if you did not know, you'd think I must take care of the main quest first.

-Hunt'n

#36 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 12:53 AM

the price for Havok is in Tripple figures 000,000? shame

we should start a petition! :angry:

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#37 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • 4074 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:42 AM

View Postaussiemacgamer, on April 3rd 2006, 01:53 AM, said:

To whom and for what? That is the dilemma. 000,000 could very well be most if not all of the profit margin of the average Mac port, WoW being the exception (though I don't think that one was actually a port).

-Hunt'n

#38 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 07:43 AM

Online petitions are useless at best.

#39 Auron

Auron

Billowing Smokestack of BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 08:23 AM

View Postaussiemacgamer, on April 3rd 2006, 02:53 AM, said:

Hopefully havok will realize no mac company will ever pay that and lower the price so some Mac devlopers can actually get it.

#40 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 08:24 AM

View PostHuntn, on April 2nd 2006, 09:00 AM, said:

In the mean time, I assume you know more about ES4 than I do. How do you get into Alchemy and potions? I got a mortar and I went to a shop, but did not discover how to make anything. Also, can you join as many guilds as you want to?

The main thing with ES4 is that the game's basic system is largely unchanged from Morrowind's.  That is, alchemy, guilds, leveling, all operate on a similar level.  
As for alchemy, you have everything you need.  What you need to do is select the "Mortar" from your item list and then you'll be prompted for an ingredient.  Click on the ingredient list and choose something (anything.. cheese wedge, venison, aloe vera, onions, mushrooms..stuff you find in barrels or out in the wild).  Once you've selected an ingredient you may be able to choose a second ingredient (depending on what you have in your inventory and how it relates to the first ingredient).  You can choose up to 4 ingredients.  If you have the right mix of ingredients, you'll see a description of what type of potion you can create.  Just hit the X button (on the xbox 360) to "Create a potion".  

You should now see a "You've created a potion" message.  The beauty of this is that you can create a bunch of simple potions (combine cheese and lettuce for a restore fatigue potion) out of abundant ingredients which you can sell for cash or use to poison your weapons with.  And with each successful potion you create, your alchemy skill goes up as well.  Just keep making as many potions as you can, and nab one of those novice alembic and retort devices (to go with your mortar) to increase potency.  

As for the guilds, yes.  You can join any and all guilds.  My current character is a member of the thieves guild, the fighters guild, and the mage's guild (plus a few other "unofficial guilds" which I won't mention to avoid spoiling the game).  Join whatever interests you, there's no limit.