71 replies to this topic

#1 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 06:12 AM

reckon we'll be seing a port of betheseda softwars epic new game for the mac? i highly doubt it but i loved morrowind and seeing as i dont have a 360 and wont be getting one i hope the bring it out for the mac! :(

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#2 FortranDragon

FortranDragon

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 05:40 PM

View Postaussiemacgamer, on February 24th 2006, 06:12 AM, said:

reckon we'll be seing a port of betheseda softwars epic new game for the mac? i highly doubt it but i loved morrowind and seeing as i dont have a 360 and wont be getting one i hope the bring it out for the mac! :(

Only if the Havok physics engine gets ported to the Mac.

I'd love to see Oblivion (or even Morrowind) ported to the Mac.  :sigh:

#3 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 09:21 PM

View PostFortranDragon, on February 25th 2006, 10:40 AM, said:

I'd love to see Oblivion (or even Morrowind) ported to the Mac.  :sigh:
are you serios does oblivion use hovok?
SH&(& man i HATE HAVOK!
KILLL HAVOK! :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#4 FortranDragon

FortranDragon

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 11:54 PM

View Postaussiemacgamer, on February 24th 2006, 09:21 PM, said:

are you serios does oblivion use hovok?
SH&(& man i HATE HAVOK!
KILLL HAVOK! :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Yes.

#5 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:57 AM

View PostFortranDragon, on February 24th 2006, 11:40 PM, said:

It's already been ported but the licencing fees are jus outragous. I think you're better off getting a XBox 360 to play it.

#6 Sharky

Sharky

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 256 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 11:59 PM

I just felt like adding that I know a PC user so excited for this title he's actually taking a week off of work to play it.

That is all.

#7 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:32 PM

We'll see Half-Life on the Mac before Bethesda brings one of their games over. They have 0 interest in the Mac platform.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#8 etehoy

etehoy

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:09 PM

I have a simple solution for your gaming needs and it involves purchasing a PC. Gaming on the Mac is a sad lesson in how to be disappointed on a regular basis. I don't see how our wishlist of non-Mac games will ever make it over to the Mac platform within our lifetime.

There are too many games listed on the PC side that we'll never see on the Mac that could possibly justify waiting as long as we have. I'm ready to say that a Mac will always live in my home, but I cannot expect it to meet my gaming needs.  

I apologize for this diatribe.

#9 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:57 PM

View Postetehoy, on February 27th 2006, 10:09 PM, said:

I have a simple solution for your gaming needs and it involves purchasing a PC. Gaming on the Mac is a sad lesson in how to be disappointed on a regular basis.

Maybe for some people...I'm rarely disappointed, and while there are a few games I'd like to see on the Mac that probably won't make it, I can easily live without them.  There's no way spending $1000+ on a decent gaming PC to play a few more games is even remotely justifiable for me.

--Eric

#10 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:11 AM

View Postetehoy, on February 28th 2006, 04:09 AM, said:

I have a simple solution for your gaming needs and it involves purchasing a PC. Gaming on the Mac is a sad lesson in how to be disappointed on a regular basis. I don't see how our wishlist of non-Mac games will ever make it over to the Mac platform within our lifetime.

There are too many games listed on the PC side that we'll never see on the Mac that could possibly justify waiting as long as we have. I'm ready to say that a Mac will always live in my home, but I cannot expect it to meet my gaming needs.  

An extra computer just for a few games? That's just not worth it! There are so few good PC games these days in a gaming world dominated by consoles, so why waste your money on an ugly Dell or Alienware box. If you're desperate to play Oblivion, get an Xbox 360. It's 399 and offers better graphics than most high-end PCs which cost a fortune.
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#11 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 10:29 AM

Who needs to spend that much money?  I got a little lucky in that my roomate got himself a new motherboard, leaving a perfectly good MB with an Athlon XP 1800, 512 MB RAM, Radeon 9800Pro, and sound card for me to purchase for about $150.  All I needed to spend beyond that was $35 on a case.  The HD and optical drive were another stroke of luck: I just happened to be upgrading my Mac at the same time, and my new PC inherited an 80 GB hard drive and a 4x DVD burner from that.  A spare keyboard and mouse were already at hand, and my LCD monitor has both a DVI and VGA port, so I can hook the PC to it with a spare VGA cable (which I had) and switch between the two with a few button presses.  All told, I now have a perfectly functional PC.

Of course, I'm probably not going to be able to play Obllivion on this thing, but here's a list of all of the games I've recently picked up that I can play, most of which cost me little more than about $5 apiece (and some cost me nothing, thanks to my roomate):

Half-Life
System Shock 2
Planescape: Torment
Thief 2
Homeworld
Arx Fatalis
Divine Divinity
Icewind Dale 2
Medieval: Total War
Morrowind GOTY Edition
Deus Ex 2
Unreal 2
Thief 3
Beyond Divinity
Rome: Total War
Pirates!
Far Cry
Domination
Age of Empires 3

Granted most of these are fairly old, but most of those are classics, and all will run like a song on this hardware.  I also have to admit that I would never have bought a PC had my roomate not had the parts right here at hand, and I absolutely CANNOT STAND working with Windows.  But I try to think of this ugly black box as little more than a game console.  I'm also looking forward to trying out Linux on it.

Hopefully I won't need this monstrosity for very long, as the Mactel solutions should become more viable.  But, in the meantime, it feels good to have so many choices when I sit down to do some gaming, even if I don't even know what to play first.

And, for the record, I'm still holding to my previous stance of giving Mac companies one year to announce a port of a new game before I buy the PC version.  I think that's fair and reasonable (with the exception of Galactic Civilizations 2, which I'll give 6 months!).
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#12 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 11:03 AM

View Postetehoy, on February 27th 2006, 09:09 PM, said:

Understandable if you don't like disappointment.

View PostEric5h5, on February 27th 2006, 09:57 PM, said:

Maybe for some people...I'm rarely disappointed, and while there are a few games I'd like to see on the Mac that probably won't make it, I can easily live without them.  There's no way spending $1000+ on a decent gaming PC to play a few more games is even remotely justifiable for me.

--Eric

Years ago regarding gaming I had this level of tension wondering if my favorite game would come to my favorite platform. Then I got a PC for some work related issues and I just made sure it had a fast processor and good video card. Funny thing, my gaming tension evaporated. I could now look at new releases with excitement versus apprehension.

Even more ironic, as I'm becoming a mature gamer, I'm getting even more picky about what games I'll play. Just like movies there are so many remakes in games. Most of the time I feel like I've been-there-done-that. The result is that most of the select few games that really excite me are not making it to the Mac. ES4:Oblivion, HL2, and the Total War series come to mind. WoW was a most happy exception cause I could play it on my PB while on the road. Hail to Blizzard for keeping Mac gamers in mind.

I believe Havok is the main culprit. Here's a Wiki list  of Havok games.
-Hunt'n

#13 placy

placy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 10:47 PM

View Postaussiemacgamer, on February 24th 2006, 12:12 PM, said:

Have you seen the system requirements for it?  Ouch...

#14 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 11:22 PM

View PostEric5h5, on February 27th 2006, 09:57 PM, said:

--Eric
That might change when you're rich and famous... you are going to be rich and famous, aren't you? Will you remember the little folk you met on your way up? :o

#15 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 01:00 AM

View PostBatcat, on March 19th 2006, 12:22 AM, said:

That might change when you're rich and famous... you are going to be rich and famous, aren't you? Will you remember the little folk you met on your way up? :o

Of course I will, um...what was your name again?

Oh, never mind.  Did someone just say something?

--Eric

#16 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:01 AM

Do you hear a gnat or something buzzing around your ear too?

::tBC swats at the air by his head::

Come Eric, let us be off to our yachts, the caviar has arrived.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#17 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:05 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on March 19th 2006, 10:01 AM, said:

::tBC swats at the air by his head::

Come Eric, let us be off to our yachts, the caviar has arrived.
The caviar that you and Eric will ignore, as you ignore eating, sleeping and other bodily functions in your 48-hour sessions of Oblivioncrack?

::Batcat sneaks in while the others are preoccupied and makes off with Brewster's Battlecat's Million$::

View PostEric5h5, on March 19th 2006, 01:00 AM, said:

Of course I will, um...what was your name again?
Tomatocow. :shifty:

But I hear that Batcat is a fine, deserving fellow. Money should flow his way like a river.

#18 Joe M.

Joe M.

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 02:12 PM

bought the game for my PC.

the good news: i'm cured of WoW

the bad news: IM STILL HOOKED ON A BLASTED VIDEO GAME

edit: oh i guess i should warn people, don't touch this game if you value your free time. the graphics are amazing, the million storylines immersive, the interaction with NPCs beyond compare. what's even worse is you can play the game over and over again and find different paths to take. i think i may have lost the next month of my life.

#19 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:57 AM

View PostJoe M., on March 26th 2006, 02:12 PM, said:

bought the game for my PC.

the good news: i'm cured of WoW

the bad news: IM STILL HOOKED ON A BLASTED VIDEO GAME
edit: oh i guess i should warn people, don't touch this game if you value your free time. the graphics are amazing, the million storylines immersive, the interaction with NPCs beyond compare. what's even worse is you can play the game over and over again and find different paths to take. i think i may have lost the next month of my life.

My copy is in the mail. As a recovering WoWaholic your scaring me...

-Hunt'n

#20 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:15 AM

Fantastic game.  It's all I've been playing for the last week.
Everything that was good about Morrowind has been improved, and those crash bugs and obscenely long save/load times have been ironed out.  
The physics system is the true star of the show here...graphics are great, but the realism provided by Havok is a fine example of just how much more immersive the game can become when objects and enemies react properly to your attacks/actions.