#41 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 12:20 PM

View Postgbafan, on April 12th 2006, 06:08 PM, said:

The wait continues for those of us that use the expansions.  I'm sure my wait will be even longer as I've now upgraded to Nightlife.

Actually we're doing the Univ/Nightlife patches simultaneously, so they'll both be released at the same time.  And (cross fingers) since most of the hard work has been done on the Sims 2 patch we hope these two will go relatively quickly.

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#42 converted2truth

converted2truth

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 12:44 PM

WOW,  this patch makes the game play SOOOOOO smooth on my MBP!

Thanks so much Aspyr! you guys (and gals) rock
Mac Pro/2.66/2GB RAM/X1900/1.5TB & 250GB X partition/250GB XP partition/Dell 24" LCD
MBP CD2.0/2GB ram/100GB HD (20GB XP partition)/ATI X1600m

#43 fastrider

fastrider

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 05:23 PM

So i have been waiting for sims 2 for a while for my intel imac, does this mean i can just go the game from the apple store that was made for ppc and get the patch and it will run all native?

#44 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 April 2006 - 07:21 PM

View Postfastrider, on April 15th 2006, 09:23 AM, said:

does this mean i can just go the game from the apple store that was made for ppc and get the patch and it will run all native?
If you don't install any expansions packs, then yes. Patches for the expansions are forthcoming.

#45 fastrider

fastrider

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:20 PM

View PostTesseract, on April 15th 2006, 11:21 AM, said:

If you don't install any expansions packs, then yes. Patches for the expansions are forthcoming.

thanks, i just placed my order for the sims 2 from the apple store online, cheers!!!!!

#46 RemyX

RemyX

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 10:07 AM

Hello everyone, new here. I just got an Intel iMac last week and already had the Sims 2 on my powerbook. Now that i've installed on the iMac and with the universal patch, wow, it runs so much faster. Now my question is this, is there anyway i can enable FSAA? I was wondering cause on the PC version theres an option built into the video options of the game. Do u guys know if theres any other way to this on the mac version maybe through editing the config files? Thanks in advance.

#47 krissi

krissi

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 10:59 AM

View PostGlendaAdams, on April 13th 2006, 12:20 PM, said:

Actually we're doing the Univ/Nightlife patches simultaneously, so they'll both be released at the same time.  And (cross fingers) since most of the hard work has been done on the Sims 2 patch we hope these two will go relatively quickly.

Glenda

Hi Glenda,

I am Kristina from Cologne/Germany. I am waiting for the Mac nightlife.-extensions since a lot of weeks. When do you ship it in Germany?

Thanks and regards

Kristina

#48 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:18 AM

View Postkrissi, on April 16th 2006, 06:59 PM, said:

Hi Glenda,

I am Kristina from Cologne/Germany. I am waiting for the Mac nightlife.-extensions since a lot of weeks. When do you ship it in Germany?

Thanks and regards

Kristina

ASH (Application Systems Heidelberg) does most of the German conversions of Aspyr's Mac titles. Therefore you might consider to contact them when they plan to ship the German version of Nightlife. Normalerweise dauert es immer ein paar Wochen (Monate), bis die deutsche Version erscheint, da ASH ja auch entsprechende Anleitungen erstellen muss, eine eigene Qualitätssicherung hat, usw. Aber im Falle von Nightlife sollte es zügig gehen, da die Verkaufszahlen bestimmt auch in Deutschland hervorragend sind. :-)
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#49 mrmach

mrmach

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 04:05 PM

Thank you to the Aspyr team and Glenda for helping and releasing the patch on Sims.  My MBP plays this very nicely now.

Has there been any issues with the game just crashing?   Black screen, or permanent lock up?  Mine does.  I should preface this by saying I am new to Mac and had the initial install in a HD folder so that the emulator would run it.  I tried moving the Icon to the desktop and it will not run that way. I put the Icon back in the folder and it will launch.  Do I need to re-install Sims?  If I do, it gets installed in an Applications folder right?  Then I can drag the Icon to the desktop?   This is how I have handled other software on the MBP.  

Thanks again, and keep up the great Mac gaming work!

#50 luws

luws

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 11:31 AM

View Postmrmach, on April 19th 2006, 03:05 PM, said:

Do I need to re-install Sims?  If I do, it gets installed in an Applications folder right?  

No, absolutely do NOT install the game into the Applications folder. That is the one place NOT to put it. Either install onto the root of your HD or in a Games folder if you have one.

Oh, and -- it is not normal for the game to crash. Black screen and permanent lock-up is not typical game play! What fun would that be??! If you can provide more specs about your system, perhaps someone could help trouble shoot why that is happening to you.

#51 sparrowhawk77

sparrowhawk77

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:19 AM

View Postluws, on April 21st 2006, 03:01 AM, said:

No, absolutely do NOT install the game into the Applications folder. That is the one place NOT to put it. Either install onto the root of your HD or in a Games folder if you have one.

Why shouldn't you put it in the Apps folder?  I've got mine in there and am just curious as to why I shouldn't have...

#52 luws

luws

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:31 AM

View Postsparrowhawk77, on April 25th 2006, 12:19 AM, said:

Why shouldn't you put it in the Apps folder?  I've got mine in there and am just curious as to why I shouldn't have...
The game doesn't run well in there. You'll likely encounter problems, but may not chalk it up to the fact that it's in the Apps. folder. File corruption & a general quirky-ness -- how's that for technical talk? :blink:  
The original documentation did say to install it in the Apps folder, but it was soon determined that wasn't a good idea. And now Aspyr recommends not to use the Applications folder.

#53 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 01:39 AM

I was thinking about maybe getting this game with my new Mac purchase. Can anybody tell me how well Sims 2 works on the new Intel iMac? Under what settings (detail) do you run it? What's the slow-down like with a multitude of sims and/or lots of objects on a lot?
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#54 kevind7195

kevind7195

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 10:20 AM

I have it set to highest resolution w/all setting on med or high and it runs very smooth in my opinion.
(Imac Core Duo 20in. w/128 Vram and 1gig ram)

#55 akac

akac

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:11 PM

All my games are in the Apps folder. I always install them for everyone I work with them. Never had an issue and technically speaking I can't think of any reason they wouldn't be.

#56 luws

luws

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:16 AM

View Postakac, on April 30th 2006, 11:11 AM, said:

All my games are in the Apps folder. I always install them for everyone I work with them. Never had an issue and technically speaking I can't think of any reason they wouldn't be.
Well, nonetheless, Aspyr does not recommend installing the game there. And I have read of numerous instances where game problems were cleared up once the game was moved out of the Applications folder.

#57 DaveG

DaveG

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 02:53 PM

View Postluws, on May 1st 2006, 12:16 PM, said:

Well, nonetheless, Aspyr does not recommend installing the game there. And I have read of numerous instances where game problems were cleared up once the game was moved out of the Applications folder.

I'm sorry but I'm going to find this hard to believe...

The "Applications" folder is no different than any other folder (cept for the fact that non-admin accounts usually/shouldn't have 'write permissions'). Now, in this day and age, any OS X application worth it's salt SHOULD NOT USUALLY need to modify the contents of it's Application folder once it's finished installing.

Now, this was NOT the case (and understandably so) for "SIMS 1" (you had to have EVERYTHING dumped into "The Sims" application folder) but then again SIMS 1 was a pre-existing application from the OS 9 days where we didn't have to 'deal with' permissions and such and yes even tho quite a few of the 'SIMS 1' add-ons came after OS X the fact still remained that for those new updates to "The SIMS" had to be backward/forward compatible with all of the others.

With The Sims 2 Aspyr (EA?) finally did the right thing and placed USER based modifications to the game into the the users 'Documents Folder' - This way 'Dad the perv' could have his 'adult' oriented addons etc and 'son & daughter' wouldn't be scared for life when dad forgot to remove them.  :lol:  :blink:  :o

...so long as they all logged in to the Mac with their own accounts.... (something that every OS X user should be doing by now, imho)

Dave

#58 gbafan

gbafan

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 09:07 AM

Back on topic....

Any status updates about the UB patches for the expansions?
Advocate for consumer friendly DRM.

#59 juleyah

juleyah

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:21 AM

View PostTesseract, on April 15th 2006, 03:21 AM, said:

Umm.. so... does this mean that the expansion packs don't work at all on intel macs? :( Or are they just awfully slow?  :huh:  :(

#60 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:25 AM

I would just wait until they release the UB patches before trying them. Shouldn't be too far off now, judging from their last newsletter.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.