79 replies to this topic

#1 akac

akac

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:18 PM

So I was hoping to hear from Aspyr how the universalization of Sims 2 is going. We just got our MacBook Pro so obviously its a big question for my wife :) Just looking for an idea of a few weeks, few months, or only with an expansion pack.

#2 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 01:45 AM

You got your MacBook Pro already? :blink:
I have to wait two more weeks!

#3 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:30 AM

If you are going to talk about the Intel Mac platform in general then the Intel Mac sub forum is the place to do it.  If you are going to talk about a game that runs on the Intel Mac then please do so in the proper game sub-forum, the Simulators sub-forum in this case.  Otherwise every topic about every game will all eventually end up being in the Intel Mac forum and that is not what Tuncer had in mind when creating that sub-forum.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#4 akac

akac

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:20 PM

I wondered about that, but I thought that asking about the port to Intel was more appropriate for this forum. Either way you're the mod :)

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:30 PM

View Postakac, on February 22nd 2006, 12:20 PM, said:

I wondered about that, but I thought that asking about the port to Intel was more appropriate for this forum. Either way you're the mod :)
That's OK, it's a brand new sub-forum and I knew I'd have to say that a number of times until the idea caught on.  You should not be concerned at all that your name went down on The List and a check mark drawn in flaming pig blood was put next to it.  It's standard operating procedure as is the global positioning data.  Say, is that someone knocking on your door?  Better go answer it!   ;)
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 gbafan

gbafan

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:05 AM

I for one would love to hear from Aspyr on this very topic.  I really need to update the family Mac to something a little more modern but will not do so until the games my children play are able to play on an Intel Mac.  I'm already dying over the fact that Classic is out the window... toddler games usually do not support Mac OS X and hardly support Classic.

So, Aspyr, when is the Sims 2 going to go the way of UB?
Advocate for consumer friendly DRM.

#7 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:48 AM

View Postgbafan, on March 7th 2006, 10:05 AM, said:

I for one would love to hear from Aspyr on this very topic.  I really need to update the family Mac to something a little more modern but will not do so until the games my children play are able to play on an Intel Mac.  I'm already dying over the fact that Classic is out the window... toddler games usually do not support Mac OS X and hardly support Classic.

We have the Sims 2 UB patch in our QA testing, and so far it is looking great.  Much faster, and so far very stable.  I'm hoping to have it ready to release very soon.
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#8 gbafan

gbafan

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:11 PM

View PostGlendaAdams, on March 7th 2006, 08:48 AM, said:

We have the Sims 2 UB patch in our QA testing, and so far it is looking great.  Much faster, and so far very stable.  I'm hoping to have it ready to release very soon.
Very good to hear.  I'm going to assume this covers Uni as well?  Perhaps even Nightlife? ;)

#9 jeffstra

jeffstra

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:23 PM

View Postgbafan, on March 7th 2006, 08:05 AM, said:

I recently got an iMac Intel 2.0 machine and my daughter is already playing Sims 2 on it using Rosetta and it runs smoothly. It's certainly faster and more stable than my old 1.2 Ghz G4 is (which is the machine I passed on to her but she won't use).

#10 sparrowhawk77

sparrowhawk77

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:29 AM

View Postjeffstra, on March 14th 2006, 09:53 AM, said:

I recently got an iMac Intel 2.0 machine and my daughter is already playing Sims 2 on it using Rosetta and it runs smoothly. It's certainly faster and more stable than my old 1.2 Ghz G4 is (which is the machine I passed on to her but she won't use).

I wish I had the same experience.  Sims 2 runs really slowly on my new Intel, even with all of the graphic options turned down low.  I'm really keen to play this game so can tolerate it for the moment...

but I really want them to release that patch!

#11 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:24 AM

View Postgbafan, on March 7th 2006, 12:11 PM, said:

Very good to hear.  I'm going to assume this covers Uni as well?  Perhaps even Nightlife? ;)
We'll have to do three separate patches, so Sims 2 will come first, followed by University and Nightlife shortly after.

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#12 gbafan

gbafan

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:28 PM

View PostGlendaAdams, on March 14th 2006, 07:24 AM, said:

We'll have to do three separate patches, so Sims 2 will come first, followed by University and Nightlife shortly after.

Glenda
Oh...  :( I'm running University right now... hopefully that will get patched soon.  Thanks!

#13 Flexo

Flexo

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:07 AM

View PostGlendaAdams, on March 14th 2006, 09:24 AM, said:

Glenda

Is there an ETA on these patches, or is it too early to say? Not for my sake, of course, but my sims are getting impatient. I'm expecting a major revolt within the next few days (you know: hunger strikes, refusing to work, starting fires, etc.) so sooner is always better than later...  :blink:

#14 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:52 AM

View PostFlexo, on March 16th 2006, 05:07 AM, said:

Is there an ETA on these patches, or is it too early to say? Not for my sake, of course, but my sims are getting impatient. I'm expecting a major revolt within the next few days (you know: hunger strikes, refusing to work, starting fires, etc.) so sooner is always better than later...  :blink:
As soon as we can get them done :)  I'd hoped it was going to be tomorrow, but we're still finding and fixing a few more bugs.  There are a couple crashes that came about from the Intel switch we're still tracking down, and a few odd color problems.  It should days/weeks, not months, but I can't put an exact date on it yet.

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#15 sparrowhawk77

sparrowhawk77

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:05 AM

From Aspyr's March newsletter:

"The Sims™ 2 Universal patch...should also be available about the time you read this"

Woo hoo!  Not long to go now...

#16 weotch2

weotch2

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:58 PM

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but...

The update for Intel Macs is just going to be a download right?  I've been waiting to purchase The Sims 2 for my Intel iMac until it is completely compatible.  But, if it's just a download, there's really no reason not to go out and get it right now, play while it's not 100%, and then upgrade when the patch comes out.  Right?

#17 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 09:32 PM

Correct.  Go ahead and buy it now.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#18 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 06:25 AM

definitely. ive got a few games like that, but for when i just upgrade my computer. going to do them once now, and again when i get a better computer. just to get that whole graphical splendour wow factor thing going :)
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#19 g@k

g@k

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:36 AM

Any news about the universal binary patch?
I just switched to an intel imac and like to play the sims 2 again.

gk

#20 weotch2

weotch2

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 09:44 PM

I heeded the advice here and went out and bought Sims 2 anyways... it works fine on my Intel iMac.

It does look a little choppy when they spin into a new outfit, or when the carpool arrives, or other graphics-heavy moments.  But for regular game play, it works fine.  I have the 17 inch 1.83 GHz processor and upgraded to 1 GB of RAM if that makes a difference.  But it is DEFINITELY playable as-is.  I assume the patch will only make it better.