Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:10 AM

:D i personally cant wait for this it should be great
we should start an IMG clan yeah

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#2 Guest_Cash68_*

Guest_Cash68_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:13 AM

View Postaussiemacgamer, on February 21st 2006, 12:10 AM, said:

:D i personally cant wait for this it should be great
we should start an IMG clan yeah

I think it's stupid that people are willing to spend $50 on quake 3 with better graphics.

#3 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:00 AM

View PostCash68, on February 21st 2006, 03:13 AM, said:

...quake 3 with better graphics.
Quake 4 is not that.

#4 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:34 AM

View PostBatcat, on February 21st 2006, 01:00 PM, said:

Quake 4 is not that.

More like Quake 2 with WAY better graphics ;)

For those that still haven't understood this, Quake 4 is actually the sequel to Quake 2, taking up the plot where Quake 2 left off. It has nothing to do with Quake 3 in terms of single-player experience... because unlike Quake 3, the game is more about single-player with a plot and everything (more than a silly backsotry as to why there's deathmatch tournaments like in 3).

And to add more credit to Quake 4 (even though I still won't get it myself, not my kind of game), it is produced by Raven Software, that unlike ID actually knows how to make games and not just an excuse to make money of a game engine demo.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#5 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:41 AM

Also unlike Q3 (or Q2 either), there's a squad-based element and vehicles. Unlike D3, which didn't grab me, I look forward to Q4 for some good, things-go-splodey fun.

IIRC, Raven did one of the Q2 expansions.

#6 dj phat 2000

dj phat 2000

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:56 AM

I already have a clan in which to play Quake 4 with :)  Its a Star Trek Elite Force clan, but we are moving into Quake 4.  That game still needs some patching to be really good.  I was kicked via punkbuster just yesterday for no reason.  I bought my copy of Quake 4 and for no reason it kicked me off the server.  I went back right away and everything was fine but, that did piss me off.  

I'm really hoping it will run very well with Dual CPU G5 systems.  I could then use it more on my Mac and maybe host the server on my current PC tower.  This is of course if it runs faster on the Mac then PC. :)

#7 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:27 PM

A clan? You mean like, MP?  :(  In Quake 4?  Someone should port BF2.

#8 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:09 AM

View PostCash68, on February 21st 2006, 01:13 AM, said:

I think it's stupid that people are willing to spend $50 on quake 3 with better graphics.

Not to be hostile or anything, but that is completely ignorant.  Quake 4 is like a delicious ice-cream mix, it is the sequel to Quake 2's amazing single player and Quake 3's extremely satisfying multiplayer with a sprinkling of gorgeous graphics.

I plan on getting it and enjoying everything it has to give.

#9 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 01:24 PM

View PostLemon Lime, on February 22nd 2006, 09:09 AM, said:

Not to be hostile or anything, but that is completely ignorant.  Quake 4 is like a delicious ice-cream mix, it is the sequel to Quake 2's amazing single player and Quake 3's extremely satisfying multiplayer with a sprinkling of gorgeous graphics.

I second that. Quake 2 and 3 were both amazing at 2 different things.

#10 FortranDragon

FortranDragon

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:44 PM

View PostLemon Lime, on February 22nd 2006, 08:09 AM, said:

I enjoyed the single player game.  It isn't the greatest, but it is a solid, good game.  The multiplayer game on the other hand...  For me the downside was that it felt exactly like Quake 3.  I have Quake 3 and I'd rather Quake 4 harken back more to Quake 2's multiplayer than be very-much-more-of-the-same Quake-3.  I've done Quake 3 to death and I would like a little more variety.

#11 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:29 PM

View PostBatcat, on February 21st 2006, 09:41 AM, said:

IIRC, Raven did one of the Q2 expansions.

That's a negative...Xatrix did one, Rogue did the other.

--Eric

#12 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 03:52 AM

Oh, yeah. Makes me want to play 'em again. I haven't seen The Reckoning or Ground Zero since the '90s... Rogue made a Quake 1 pack, too, and A-M's Alice, then morphed into Nerve. Xatrix did Kingpin and morphed into Grey Matter, and they combined to do RtCW's SP and MP. Then Grey Matter did CoD:UO and got absorbed into Treyarch. Nerve did the Doom 3 expansion.

Too much iD. My brain hurts.* :blink:

*Or maybe it's the 1,400 posts since July...

I see Raven just released the PC 1.1 beta patch.

The official Quake IV v1.1 Beta Patch is now available which weighs in at 60mb.

This update will bring any previous version of the game completely up to date, however it will affect pure server and protocol consistency. Therefore, players who update to 1.1 BETA will only be able to play multiplayer against other 1.1 BETA users, and save games created on previous versions of the game will not be compatible with the 1.1 BETA update. Please use the form at www.idsoftware.com/bugs/ to report any issues you find with the 1.1 BETA update.

Once we are satisfied the 1.1 BETA is completely solid, we will release the FINAL 1.1 update. This will be a required update and will be available through the “Update” option in the game. With that release, we’ll also be including 4 all-new multiplayer maps in addition to the QUAKEMAS map pack (3 maps) that was released in December.

We are currently working with the mod team community to deliver the 1.1 SDK and bring their mods current as soon as possible. Lastly, stay tuned in the coming months for additional free game content including new maps and gametypes.
http://www.raven-gam...pyVypFFdyBmHmlj

#13 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 05:14 AM

View PostFortranDragon, on February 22nd 2006, 12:44 PM, said:

The multiplayer game on the other hand...  For me the downside was that it felt exactly like Quake 3.  I have Quake 3 and I'd rather Quake 4 harken back more to Quake 2's multiplayer than be very-much-more-of-the-same Quake-3.  I've done Quake 3 to death and I would like a little more variety.

I kind of agree, but at least they brought back the nail gun! :D

#14 FortranDragon

FortranDragon

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 03:21 PM

View PostLemon Lime, on February 23rd 2006, 05:14 AM, said:

I kind of agree, but at least they brought back the nail gun! :D

I can understand that :) but for me it feels like the Quake series (and Doom 3) is more about recycling past games that moving forward.  At least the single-player Quake 4 game moved the universe forward.

#15 c15zyx

c15zyx

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 12:28 AM

Though Q2 is often viewed as the single-player experience compared to Q3, it had an excellent multiplayer mod that in part gave birth to the modern semi-realism / teamplay mods we have today (and is one of the predecessors to Counter-Strike) - Action Quake 2. In fact it's still great fun to play today, and is cross-platform compatible. One-tap to an unarmored head with the .45 sure brings back memories.

#16 Lord Brixton

Lord Brixton

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1629 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 04:51 AM

I think Quake II was the spawn point for Team Fortress as well wasn't it? I only played it as a HalfLife mod but man it was cool! Still probably my happiest multiplayer experience I think…

There's a mod for Q4 (already!) that looks kind of like the same thing which is why I am so filled with antici…

…pation!

Tower MacPro 2x2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon / 4gb RAM / Radeon X1900 XT 512 / 20" Cinema Display.
MacBook Pro 1.8 gHz Core Duo  / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility X1600 128 / 15" LCD
PowerBook G4 1x1.67ghz / 1gb RAM / Radeon mobility 9700 128 / 15" LCD

723rd kicks wussy Nar butt!

Posted Image

#17 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 05:51 AM

View PostFortranDragon, on February 24th 2006, 08:21 AM, said:

I can understand that :) but for me it feels like the Quake series (and Doom 3) is more about recycling past games that moving forward.  At least the single-player Quake 4 game moved the universe forward.
ive been waiting for someone to say that man! when was the last time id released a completely new game! i mean Gsus is all sequals:
Return to castle wolfenstien
doom 3
quake 4
nothing at all! theve dropped the ball bigtime i reckon. i mean quake 4 is an awesome game but even so ITS RAVEN! if id can slip on out with a new awesome title that amazed and captures us all then then they will pick the ball back up again!

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#18 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 24 February 2006 - 10:16 AM

View Postaussiemacgamer, on February 24th 2006, 06:51 AM, said:

ive been waiting for someone to say that man! when was the last time id released a completely new game! i mean Gsus is all sequals:
doom 3
quake 4
nothing at all! theve dropped the ball bigtime i reckon. i mean quake 4 is an awesome game but even so ITS RAVEN! if id can slip on out with a new awesome title that amazed and captures us all then then they will pick the ball back up again!

Coming up: Return to Castle Wolfenstein 2!!
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#19 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:41 PM

View PostLord Brixton, on February 24th 2006, 04:51 AM, said:

I think Quake II was the spawn point for Team Fortress

QuakeWorld was, and it was good.

#20 FortranDragon

FortranDragon

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 05:51 PM

View Postaussiemacgamer, on February 24th 2006, 05:51 AM, said:

doom 3
quake 4

Apparently id is working on an all new IP project so there is hope for them yet.

I will say that the recycling of Wolfenstein was ok.  The jump from a pre-Doom game to the Quake 3 engine with a story was fine.  That worked well and gave us a fun game.