58 replies to this topic

#41 tthiel

tthiel

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 04:25 PM

Really?  Is that a rule you jsut made up?  Cause it runs fine on mine with 256 MB of ram and hardly anyone has 512MB.

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on February 22nd 2006, 01:52 PM, said:

I hope people realize that medium quality is for GPU's with 256mb and high is for GPU's with 512mb and not complain when they can't run high well on a GPU with 128mb. =p I think I have seen someone test out Doom 3 on a iMac core duo with a 128MB GPU with it on high.

#42 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 22 February 2006 - 05:02 PM

View Posttthiel, on February 22nd 2006, 03:25 PM, said:

Really?  Is that a rule you jsut made up?  Cause it runs fine on mine with 256 MB of ram and hardly anyone has 512MB.

Nope I didn't make it up. But I was more talking about people who run high on 128mb or less anyway and then saying that because it doesn't run the way they want to then that has something to do with something else like their CPU. Sure you can push it running ultra on 256mb and most of the time that will run just fine. Then again "just fine" is subjective (maybe I'm not as generous). Ok I took a look and it's actually low for 64mb, medium for 128mb, high for 256mb and ultra for 512mb but my point still stands. You can't run high or ultra on 128 and expect it to be constantly blazing now can you? And it's more of a guideline than a rule anyway because you are free to do what you want but for benchmark purposes you really should run at recommended settings IMO. But if you are running it on high on 256mb then that should be fine.

For reference here is an articles that talk about it. http://www.tweakguid...om/Doom3_5.html and http://www.gen-x-pc.com/doom3_FAQ.htm and http://www2.hardocp.....hlbnRodXNpYXN0
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#43 dj phat 2000

dj phat 2000

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:01 AM

ATi X800 XT 256MB AGP 8X PRO card.  I'm running at High, not ultra, and with shadows off as that eats up about 5-10FPS on demo runs and feels slower then that ( I guess due to not getting over 60 without it) in game.  It is bad enough that it takes away the enjoyability of this game.  I have to turn it off, otherwise you really feel the slowness.  Its otherwise smooth (or good enough with a +) without it.

I'm personally not happy with the fact that even at lower resolutions I can't get any more FPS out of this game.  I guess I am just having a hard time accepting the fact that this is CPU limited so much when I have a Dual 64Bit, Dual 900MHz FSB, 4GB of Ram G5 system. :(

#44 dj phat 2000

dj phat 2000

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 06:55 PM

ok, latest update
With shadows at 640x480 windows
35.6FPS

Without Shadows same resolution
41.0FPS

With only 1 CPU same resolution in windowed mode no shadows
36.0FPS

So, this game does use both CPU's.  I had the meter up and it went back and forth sometimes both CPU's at half.  Only 5 FPS speed up but, its something in the plus area.  But, I'm not getting past 41FPS.  Going to try again with less settings(eye candy) and see what I get.

Ok ran it with the lowest in game settings I could get.  In windowed mode I get 43.1, and the same in full screen @640x480.  At 1680x1050 I get 41.1.

#45 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:45 PM

I finally ran the update.  On my dual 2.5, X800, 1024x768, high quality, everything on except vsync and FSAA, I got 46fps before the update.  After the update, I get 47fps.  Well, hey, 1 fps is better than 0 fps.  :)  (Shadows off ups it to 54fps.  But increasing the resolution tanks the framerate:  1600x1200 with shadows gets me 35fps.)

Now that's all well and good as far as it goes, but more importantly, surround sound still doesn't work!  Trying to go to Mars City Underground still results in the game quitting back to the main menu partway through the level load, sans sound (although starting a new game or reloading a saved game gets the sound back).  From the console or shell, I still get this: "ERROR: idSoundCache: error generating OpenAL hardware buffer".  :sob:

--Eric

#46 dj phat 2000

dj phat 2000

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:21 PM

Wow, video card limited at 1600x1200 with shadows.  I get the same thing.  So fair enough, X800 XT can't handle it at that resolution with shadows.  This game is WAY too CPU limited though.  You get about the right speed up compared to my dual 1.8GHz.  

I need to bench this on an AMD FX box and see what it gets.  My friend has one.  FX-55 I think.  7800 GT as well but, I'm sure it is twice what we get in FPS at the lower resolutions.

#47 eschatz

eschatz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:36 PM

Anyone notice that FSAA has been limited to 4x and no more?
Edward

#48 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 24 February 2006 - 09:38 AM

The new 1.3A app seems to have some problems with mods which have compiled game libs and are launched using fs_game.  The game bails while initializing the scripts.  For example, Classic Doom crashes when launching doom from a command line using +set fs_game cdoom.  However, if you start up Doom 3 and then select Classic Doom from the Mod menu it works.

The work around doesn't help other mods though.  The Last Man Standing mods crash Doom 3 when selected from the Mod menu (idSessionLocal::SetSaveGameGuiVars() + 1660 (crt.c:355)).  But that crashing happened with the original Mac 1.3 patch as well.  Chex Trex also crashes.  Based on the console.log the crash is scripting related.  It's the same scripting error that causes the game to bail with fs_game launching.

Another thing I notice was that 1.3A doesn't copy over the custom gamelibs to the Application Support/Doom 3/<mod name>/ folder.  The only lib copied is the one from the Doom 3/base folder.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#49 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 10:02 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on February 22nd 2006, 03:52 PM, said:

I hope people realize that medium quality is for GPU's with 256mb and high is for GPU's with 512mb and not complain when they can't run high well on a GPU with 128mb. =p I think I have seen someone test out Doom 3 on a iMac core duo with a 128MB GPU with it on high.

That's not quite accurate: 256Mb was the target for High quality, while Ultra was intended for then-not-yet-existant 512Mb cards. 128Mb Should be fine for Medium.

And, lest we get confused yet again, amount of video memory != video card performance!
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#50 ozzy

ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 24 February 2006 - 10:29 PM

View PostEric5h5, on February 23rd 2006, 10:45 PM, said:

I finally ran the update.  On my dual 2.5, X800, 1024x768, high quality, everything on except vsync and FSAA, I got 46fps before the update.  After the update, I get 47fps.  Well, hey, 1 fps is better than 0 fps.  :)  (Shadows off ups it to 54fps.  But increasing the resolution tanks the framerate:  1600x1200 with shadows gets me 35fps.)

Now that's all well and good as far as it goes, but more importantly, surround sound still doesn't work!  Trying to go to Mars City Underground still results in the game quitting back to the main menu partway through the level load, sans sound (although starting a new game or reloading a saved game gets the sound back).  From the console or shell, I still get this: "ERROR: idSoundCache: error generating OpenAL hardware buffer".  :sob:

--Eric

Yea, I had that sound problem also.  I sent all my bug and crash logs to Aspyr back in July I believe, but I never heard anything more after that.  It's a pity to, it sounded so beautiful with surround sound.  I don't have my speakers hooked up for my comp anymore, although the Revo 7.1 is still installed...

#51 ibri

ibri

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 02:07 AM

I installed Doom 3 for the first time and applied the 1.13A patch on my MacBook Pro.  After the patch is finished installing, the icon for it changes to the generic Application icon for OS X, not the Doom 3 logo.  When I double click Doom 3.app it opens and closes really quickly.  Is there something I'm missing?

#52 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 08:55 AM

Download that patch and try it again.  Either the download got corrupted or it wasn't unstuffed correctly.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#53 ibri

ibri

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 12:10 PM

It was actually my bad.  I had made an image of the DVD because I don't like carrying around disc's with me.  For some reason if you have the image mounted Doom 3 won't tell you to insert the DVD, it just won't load.  I burnt a backup copy of it and it launched without a problem.

My problem now is actually that Doom with run for a good 5 or so minutes, and then crash unexpectedly.  Has anyone experienced this one?

#54 ibri

ibri

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 01:12 PM

And again I wasn't thinking.  It took me 3 more crashes to actually look at the log file of what happened.  It said the sound thingy crashed, which made me think of the OpenAL functionality.  I disabled that and she works beautifully :)  Time for some nightmares.

#55 Zorcky

Zorcky

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 04:28 PM

Strange and nobody have problems with this patch?

I played always Doom 3 with the origenal version of the DVD.
The update don't give my PowerMac dual 2.5 Ghz with nVidia 6800 DDL 256 Mb like with the ATI's (why the hell not supporting nVidia GPU's).

Now after a time i have installed the update and i have the next problem.

I start a new game.
In the first level you have the cinematic where you get your mission to start.
On that moment the sound in the game is dropping.
If i'm following that bot (or somthing like that) to go to the elevator to start my first mission in Mars City underground, when this is loading, at the moment it looks it's comple the game drops me in the menu?

Is realy nobody having strange behaviour like this.

I have restarted my Mac, tropped the .cfg file, cleaned out al my saved games but nothing works?

For me is Doom 3 with this update not playeble
And this update is still a beta one?
Hey Dutch Mac Gamers, take a look at here!

#56 ajmas

ajmas

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 05:08 PM

View Postibri, on March 26th 2006, 04:07 AM, said:

I installed Doom 3 for the first time and applied the 1.13A patch on my MacBook Pro.  After the patch is finished installing, the icon for it changes to the generic Application icon for OS X, not the Doom 3 logo.  When I double click Doom 3.app it opens and closes really quickly.  Is there something I'm missing?

Open the console.app and see if anything is logged as an error.

#57 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:22 PM

View PostZorcky, on May 1st 2006, 06:28 PM, said:

If i'm following that bot (or somthing like that) to go to the elevator to start my first mission in Mars City underground, when this is loading, at the moment it looks it's comple the game drops me in the menu?

Is realy nobody having strange behaviour like this.

I do, and I've remarked on it before a few times.  That exact thing happens when I'm trying to play with OpenAL surround sound.  It did that before the update, and still does it.  With normal stereo, though, it works fine.

--Eric

#58 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:49 AM

View Postajmas, on May 1st 2006, 06:08 PM, said:

Open the console.app and see if anything is logged as an error.

Sometimes those things get messed up.  Fortunately, it shouldn't affect Doom 3 at all . . . and there's an easy fix if you really want that icon:

1.  Drop the Doom 3 DVD in your drive, and when it mounts on the desktop, navigate to the Doom 3 app on the disc.

2.  Get Info (Command-I) on the Doom 3 app.

3.  Click on the Doom 3 icon in the upper left corner of the Get Info window and copy the picture (Command-C).

4.  Go to your iconless Doom 3 app in your Applications folder, choose Get Info for the application, click on the upper left corner, and paste the Doom 3 icon over the generic icon (Command-V).

You're all set!
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#59 Zorcky

Zorcky

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:59 AM

View PostEric5h5, on May 1st 2006, 08:22 PM, said:

I do, and I've remarked on it before a few times.  That exact thing happens when I'm trying to play with OpenAL surround sound.  It did that before the update, and still does it.  With normal stereo, though, it works fine.

--Eric

Yes that was the problem. I have find the solution on the Aspyr website. It's reported in the support section of Doom 3 that there still some problems with the OpenAL. Its sad, sometime you will think that Mac Gamers are second hand users. The support for nVidia boards is not so good like an ATI (why?), we still can't have surround sound with the standard sound cart in a Mac and controllers with Force Feedback are bad supported (for the force feedback part). Heh
Hey Dutch Mac Gamers, take a look at here!