58 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:27 PM

Aspyr Media has released the eagerly-anticipated Universal Binary patch for DOOM 3. The new patch, available for download from Macgamefiles.com, also includes improved performance on PowerPC Macs with ATi graphics cards. In addition, the minimum supported operating system has been bumped up to Mac OS X 10.3.9.

To download the 12.69 MB patch, head over to our sister site, Macgamefiles.com. Also, please be sure to leave a comment and let us know how it runs on your Intel Mac in the forum.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 yves

yves

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:55 PM

glenda...
you make me feel ..
you make me feel...
you make me feel like a natural macgamer :D

performance patch... who wouldve thought it. aspyr you kick ass!
(tears of joy)
love from holland,
Yves

#3 jeffbax

jeffbax

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:04 PM

As a recent PC gamer gone permanent Mac user (since my PowerBook was better for all my non-gaming duties & work) you just got yourself a new sale.

Now, port some other high-profile games like NWN and maybe you'll see some more sales, but only Intel native games :)

Seriously, I would buy Civ 3 Complete right now along with my Doom 3 and Quake 4 pre order, but its not universal :(  I'm actually  more interested in Civ 3 than 4 :erm: :)

#4 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:14 PM

The MGF autodownload doesn't seem to be linking to the correct patch.  It's downloading the Doom3Mac13.dmg patch when it should be downloading th Doom3Mac13A.dmg file.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#5 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:18 PM

My apologies, fixed!
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/tuncerdeniz

#6 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:43 PM

12 MB to patch for PPC AND add Intel? So much for fears of Universal Binaries doubling your HD consumption :)

And I'll be ordering this game with my new Intel Mac--whenever I make up my mind!

#7 mrimac00

mrimac00

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:15 PM

So anybody try it out yet? I may have to buy Doom 3 from CompUSA next weekend for my first major Universal Binary game on my iMac. Perhaps a UB demo of Doom 3 will show up (and hopefully UT2K4).

#8 Twisted Guy

Twisted Guy

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Location:1, 2, cha cha cha...3, 4, nuclear missile strike! OMG! WTF?!

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:42 PM

Installed, and now DOOM 3 won't even launch.  Yay?

Edit: Ok...all fixed.  Had to dump the .cfg file.  Runs real nice...definitely smoother than before.

#9 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:24 PM

The update seems to have broken compatibility with the Last Man Standing mod.  The game starts up then quits with the following error:

ERROR: Error: file lms2.pk4/script/doom_events.script, line 16: Unknown event 'enableClientThink'

It's the only mod I've tested thus far since it's the only one I have.  Downgrading to the old Doom 3 1.3 patch allows LMS to launch.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#10 Doomer

Doomer

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:27 PM

Figured I would chime in here.  I ran the time demo before updating, and to say the least I am very impressed. So here is what I found:

Before update:
timedemo demo1
1st run: 23.5 FPS
2nd  run: 27 FPS

After update:
timedemo demo1
1st run: 32.1 FPS
2nd run: 40.4 FPS

My machine is as follows, a dual 2.0 G5 Rev. A, 512mb ram, 9600 64mb graphics card.
I ran the timedemo in 800x600, no shadows,medium quality, with bump mapping and the like on.

#11 Someone

Someone

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:10 PM

View PostDoomer, on February 20th 2006, 07:27 PM, said:

Figured I would chime in here.  I ran the time demo before updating, and to say the least I am very impressed. So here is what I found:

Before update:
timedemo demo1
1st run: 23.5 FPS
2nd  run: 27 FPS

After update:
timedemo demo1
1st run: 32.1 FPS
2nd run: 40.4 FPS

My machine is as follows, a dual 2.0 G5 Rev. A, 512mb ram, 9600 64mb graphics card.
I ran the timedemo in 800x600, no shadows,medium quality, with bump mapping and the like on.

That's a huge jump in performance for Macs with ATI cards.  Impressive isn't even the word to describe it.

I'd love to hear from Glenda on the subject.  What changed?  Drivers?  OpenGL changes?  She was saying a few months ago that DOOM 3 was as optimized as it could get.

#12 eschatz

eschatz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:33 PM

I think just for the goatse pic link in your sig you deserved to be banned, not to mention your annoying comment.

------

Thanks to whoever deleted that post
Edward

#13 tthiel

tthiel

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:37 PM

Runs great on my fully loaded Intel iMac at High settings on 1680X1050.  You have to hold down the command key at launch to get that res.  Last time I ran it was on a dual G5 2.0 with a 256MB Radeon 9800.  It's been awhile but this feels smoother.  Pretty good and a nice taste of Quake 4 to come.

#14 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:56 PM

Here is what I got so far:

timedemo 1
1024 x 640 : 43 fps
1024 x 640 (2x AA) : 37 fps
1024 x 768: 40 fps
1280 x 800: 33 fps

On an iiMac (intel iMac) 1Gig Ram, X1600 128mg 256mg, with HQ, shadows and all the rest on (except vsync and AA, unless specified).

Pros: it looks beautiful; runs great with few slowdowns; playable with shadows on !!!; widescreen;
Cons: Tearing: I will try vsync (although I seem to recall it has no effects on flat panels...). It usually happens close to a wall, not too often, but consistently. Performance is good, not great.

My setup is now 1024 x 640 (2x AA). It doesn't look as good as 1024x768 but I like the widescreen (not stretched).

Final words: FINALLY !!! I love this game, thx. I still hope we will get the RoE expansion. I can't say the iMac is a great gaming machine though. It is a huge step up from the previous iMac, but it is borderline for someone who wants all the eye candy turned on for Doom 3.

#15 MacManX

MacManX

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:02 PM

View PostiRolley, on February 21st 2006, 05:56 PM, said:

Cons: Tearing: I will try vsync (although I seem to recall it has no effects on flat panels...). I usually happens close to a wall, not too often, but consistently.

Same here. VSync didn't make any difference.

#16 tthiel

tthiel

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:11 PM

If your going to do much gaming I would really reccomend going to 2 GB on this Mac.

View PostiRolley, on February 20th 2006, 09:56 PM, said:

On an iiMac (intel iMac) 1Gig Ram, X1600 128mg, with HQ, shadows and all the rest on (except vsync and AA, unless specified).

#17 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:34 PM

View Posttthiel, on February 21st 2006, 12:11 AM, said:

If your going to do much gaming I would really reccomend going to 2 GB on this Mac.

You think ? Yes maybe: I did a run in windowed mode, 1024x768 with shadows and the RAM did fill up after loading the first level. The CPU on the other hand, never. Interesting enough, the second CPU reports around 20-40% of activity, while the first one is around 60-80%. So the graphic card is definitely the limiting factor and the second CPU is put to  good use, it might be for the audio, I have no idea, but I don't think Doom 3 needs more threading optimization.

#18 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:55 AM

View PostSomeone, on February 20th 2006, 08:10 PM, said:

That's a huge jump in performance for Macs with ATI cards.  Impressive isn't even the word to describe it.

I'd love to hear from Glenda on the subject.  What changed?  Drivers?  OpenGL changes?  She was saying a few months ago that DOOM 3 was as optimized as it could get.

There is a GL option ATI had us turn on for their cards that basically lets the game get a little bit farther ahead rendering while the card catches up.  This is something that happens on the PC by default.  What happens is while GL & the video card are drawing the last frame Doom submitted, the game can continue submitting information to GL for the next frame instead of stalling.  This evens out the frame rate spikes (one slow frame doesn't completely kill you), and lets the CPU do a little extra work while the video card is finishing up.

This was one of the GL/driver level changes that was beyond our control to fix inside of Doom.  So it was great to have ATI give us a way to turn it on.

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#19 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:25 PM

View PostGlendaAdams, on February 21st 2006, 09:55 AM, said:

There is a GL option ATI had us turn on for their cards that basically lets the game get a little bit farther ahead rendering while the card catches up.

Triplebuffering?

#20 BahamutZERO

BahamutZERO

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:41 PM

View PostGlendaAdams, on February 21st 2006, 10:55 AM, said:

There is a GL option ATI had us turn on for their cards that basically lets the game get a little bit farther ahead rendering while the card catches up.  This is something that happens on the PC by default.  What happens is while GL & the video card are drawing the last frame Doom submitted, the game can continue submitting information to GL for the next frame instead of stalling.  This evens out the frame rate spikes (one slow frame doesn't completely kill you), and lets the CPU do a little extra work while the video card is finishing up.

This was one of the GL/driver level changes that was beyond our control to fix inside of Doom.  So it was great to have ATI give us a way to turn it on.

Glenda

If it's not under NDA, this sure could help other game developers.