#21 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:17 PM

The solid green line effect is due to the font size being too small for two lines to fit. Safari has the habit of just crunching them together. If you adjust your browsers font size up a notch, they split apart (but who would do that?!).

Firefox just invades the linespacing of the text below it to make the double underline. Safari tries to conform, and thus it gets squinchied.

It's just one of those things, and I don't think IMG wants to sacrifice their text formating to make big fat font sizes on the page so intellitext is happy on safari.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#22 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:30 AM

if you need them, especially if they pay better, then by all means.  I dont scan through documents with my cursor so im not worried about the popup affect of these links.  

a question though:  if any IMG user could turn them off, would you lose advertising $ because of it?

if so, *dont* put an option to turn them off except for IMG Pro users.  They pay, the rest of us dont, and if putting up with a few mildly bothersome adds is the price, oh well.

#23 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:22 AM

Even if a link is put up or not, you can still turn the ads off by going through the "What is this?" link on any of the ads.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#24 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:16 PM

View PostFrigidman, on February 22nd 2006, 11:22 AM, said:

Even if a link is put up or not, you can still turn the ads off by going through the "What is this?" link on any of the ads.

From which you are required to load an advertising company's cookie onto your system. If someone doesn't like the links and is suspicious of Internet advertising companies (and their reputation of pushing trojans, malware, pop-ups, pup-unders and the like onto web users, why on earth would they like the cookie?

Again, opt-in is the only polite way to go. But that's only my opinion.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#25 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 01:20 PM

There will be a link at the bottom of the IMG home page that will allow you to turn off the ads, provided you have cookies on.

No offense, but opt-in is not going to happen.
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/tuncerdeniz

#26 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:36 PM

Yeah... but how do we know we can trust the IMG home page?? :unsure:
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#27 Drinniol

Drinniol

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1153 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 03:14 AM

One would assume the higher pays-per-click for the IntelliTXT ads are due to the fact that you'd be getting fewer of them? As mentioned before, a lot of what they advertise is really irrelevant to the subject matter of the article, and often, the word that's linked. Would banners still remain as a source of advertising for Mac devs? This site gets a lot of traffic and it'd be a shame to lose it as a means for getting the word out to gamers, especially for the smaller devs who might not warrent a mention in a magazine or feature on another website.

In terms of intrusiveness, apart from the annoying behaviour of the ad popping up for a moment even if the curser quickly passes over it, it's less than graphic ads, that's true. Graphic ads are accepted, though, while IntelliTXT gives many sites the feel of being one big advertisement.
"If a bunch of actual adults suddenly found themselves trapped in high school, the first thing they'd do is form a union and renegotiate all the rules with the administration." Paul Walker

#28 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 06:11 AM

View PostTuncer (IMG), on February 22nd 2006, 02:20 PM, said:

There will be a link at the bottom of the IMG home page that will allow you to turn off the ads, provided you have cookies on.

No offense, but opt-in is not going to happen.

Good. I understand about the opt-in too.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#29 tiskippy

tiskippy

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:20 PM

One question: will these be appearing in the RSS feeds as well?

Also, the test page seems to be down, as I wasn't able to view it.
Brandon
MacBook Pro, 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 15" Glossy Display

#30 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:37 PM

The ads are already on...
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

#31 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 08:17 PM

Interesting. Now reading the articles have become like going through a maze, trying not to set off any ads. I'll get used to it I suppose, but then again there weren't that many popup keywords on the articles.

#32 kingarthur_kom

kingarthur_kom

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 09:38 PM

I do not understand the need to link a word to an advertisement. Most of the time they are useless.
I just don't like some ads in general.
Advertisers: STOP BEING LIKE USED CAR SALESMEN!!! If I want something I will call you not the other way around!  :angry:

#33 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 09:45 PM

Tuncer, can you make those IntelliTXT ads a different color--possibly one that actually matches the color scheme of the website?
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#34 Marble

Marble

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:37 PM

Distracting.  Maybe if it was just the single underlined word... but the popup is an object of my fierce dislike.

I think this is a lot worse than banner ads because banner ads are at least peripheral and can be mentally ignored (plus, they can be a great source for other Mac gaming ads).  Having links to irrelevant material in the context of a news story is aggravating and makes it hard to concentrate on what's being said.  Now I have to consciously avoid moving my mouse over certain places on the web page—it's like having a floor that squeaks horribly in certain places so you have to walk in funny patterns.

Yes, I can turn it off but not without getting angry, looking for help in the forum, and discovering the method.  Chances are people aren't going to click on the "what's this?" link because they think it's going to lead to an obscure preference to disable the popup.  If I hadn't read this thread, I know I'd just be annoyed and probably go to the forum and complain :P.

#35 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 05:53 AM

View PostMarble, on February 26th 2006, 11:37 PM, said:

Distracting.  Maybe if it was just the single underlined word... but the popup is an object of my fierce dislike.

I think this is a lot worse than banner ads because banner ads are at least peripheral and can be mentally ignored (plus, they can be a great source for other Mac gaming ads).  Having links to irrelevant material in the context of a news story is aggravating and makes it hard to concentrate on what's being said.  Now I have to consciously avoid moving my mouse over certain places on the web page—it's like having a floor that squeaks horribly in certain places so you have to walk in funny patterns.

Yes, I can turn it off but not without getting angry, looking for help in the forum, and discovering the method.  Chances are people aren't going to click on the "what's this?" link because they think it's going to lead to an obscure preference to disable the popup.  If I hadn't read this thread, I know I'd just be annoyed and probably go to the forum and complain :P.

Yup. Especially the second paragraph about now not moving my mouse over any text in case it gets hidden by a pop up. Grr. Where was that opt-out link, Tuncer??? You said "at the bottom of the IMG home page" but I don't see anything there.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#36 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:57 AM

The opt-out is on the pages where the ads appear. I'll have Randall also put it on the home page.

Sorry, we can't change the color of the link.

Interestingly enough, one of the ads I saw this morning was from Apple :)
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

#37 Sternum

Sternum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:04 AM

Not a big fan of the gold farming ads I found in World of Warcraft releases. That's just sleazy.

#38 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:52 AM

View PostSternum, on February 27th 2006, 10:04 AM, said:

Not a big fan of the gold farming ads I found in World of Warcraft releases. That's just sleazy.

I agree. We've told IntelliTXT to turn those off. Those should be gone soon.
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

#39 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 12:06 PM

View PostTuncer (IMG), on February 27th 2006, 09:57 AM, said:

The opt-out is on the pages where the ads appear. I'll have Randall also put it on the home page.

Sorry, we can't change the color of the link.

Interestingly enough, one of the ads I saw this morning was from Apple :)

Thanks. Found it.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#40 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:49 PM

Overall, I hate 'em. But as long as IntelliYechs ads don't start popping up in the forums, I guess I can live with them. To be honest tho, I've found that after I inadvertantly trigger a pop up or two I find myself bailing out on the IMG homepage and jumping right into the forums out of aggrevation. It is evil, but right now I am willing to accept that it is a necessary evil for IMG to exist.
As advertising, I cannot help but beleive this junk caters to mouth-breathers. No one is really going to click on some idiotic pop up ad for some unrelated pos product... or is it just me?