#1 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 18 February 2006 - 04:06 PM

Hi Folks,

This post is meant as a bit of a warning and to also get some opinions on a new form of advertising that we will likely be implementing come next week on IMG and MGF. Although this form of advertising has been around for a while, a company called Vibrant Media has had a lot of success recently with their IntelliTXT ads. They've been able to sign up sites such as IGN, Warcry, and more and more are coming online (I believe MacNN is experimenting with them).

So, what is IntelliTXT? Well, the best way to show you is to see if for yourself. Head over to this page any you'll see the ads yourself. On this page, you'll notice that some of the words in the article are double underlined in green. These are the ads.

http://xbox360.ign.c...8/688437p1.html

So when Vibrant approached us I thought long and hard about it and have decided that we would try it (on a trial basis). Frankly, the CPM rates that they give are astronomical compared to current third party ads we use such as Google, Tribal Fusion, etc. However, I've decided that if we do implement IntelliTXT, we will be doing a few things to counterbalance the addition of these ads. Such as:

- Most 3rd party ads that you see on IMG and MGF will disappear. Crappy flashy ads that advertise smiley faces and such will be gone for good.
- All pop up ads will disappear for good.
- Google ads would probably disappear for good. In general, there will be less ads on IMG and MGF.

And finally, you, the reader, will have the option to turn these IntelliTXT ads off on IMG and MGF (provided you have cookies turned on in your browser) as soon as they become active. Once you turn them off, they will never come back (unless you delete your cookies from your browser).

I would like to hear some well thought out opinions on the subject.  These IntelliTXT ads are not without controversy but they are highly effective and they pay out very well. I'm a firm believer that Internet advertising has to evolve and in order to stay in business, companies such as ourselves need to adopt new forms of advertising in order to grow.

Before you embark on a rant or opinion, please keep in mind that you will have the option to turn these ads off. Let me know what you think.
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/tuncerdeniz

#2 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 04:12 PM

They're kind of hackneyed. Reading a consumer Mac article at ArsTechnica that happens to mention the word 'system', and the ad says something about the best prices on databases and enterprise storage 'systems'. WTF? They've never done anything for me so I don't mouse-over, read, or click except by accident.

I much prefer the Mac games publishers' and developers' ads, or just Mac publishers' and developers' ads in general, but that's just because they're not random.

#3 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 04:23 PM

Will this be in the forums too? I saw that the MacNN forums had it, and it wasn't very popular.
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#4 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 04:25 PM

At this point I don't know if it'll be in the forums or not. We'd first implement it into the content pages then think about the forum later.
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

#5 Blackshawk

Blackshawk

Narcissist Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:30 PM

I visit IGN daily, and nothing is more annoying than when I'm reading an article and whenever my mouse goes over one of those things a stupid like popup comes up over the link. I'm assuming they wouldn't be turned on for pro users? That's one of the reasons I bought the Pro pass.

And for the love of light, do not put it in the forums. The regular site I can put up with, I suppose, but the forum would just be torture.  :glare:
I Can't Feel My Torso Your Gaming Fix From Blackshawk

I'm going to the vet to get tutored.

#6 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:17 PM

View PostBlackshawk, on February 18th 2006, 09:30 PM, said:

I visit IGN daily, and nothing is more annoying than when I'm reading an article and whenever my mouse goes over one of those things a stupid like popup comes up over the link. I'm assuming they wouldn't be turned on for pro users? That's one of the reasons I bought the Pro pass.

Looks like you won't have to put up with them anyway.  :)

And finally, you, the reader, will have the option to turn these IntelliTXT ads off on IMG and MGF (provided you have cookies turned on in your browser) as soon as they become active. Once you turn them off, they will never come back (unless you delete your cookies from your browser).

#7 No One

No One

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:19 PM

I've seen IntelliTXT before. Frankly, it doesn't impress me compared to banner ads. At least there are banner ads that advertise products I would actually be interested in (I ended up buying a few things from some IMG advertisers awhile back). I have never clicked an IntelliTXT ad before, they just don't seem to make good context decisions. Plus, they really water down articles when they show up. The first time I came across a site, that had IntelliTXT I became confused as to what links actually led to other information, and which were just ads. I later noticed that the ads had a double underline, but it still makes it hard to scan a document for information.

I find IntelliTXT far more disturbing on a forum than in site content. People who are not familiar with IntelliTXT could become confused when they see what appears to be other posters inserting random ads in their own posts.

I understand the fact that we can turn them off. From a simply hypothetical standpoint, if that was not an option I would turn all the ads on under IMG Pro just to avoid IntelliTXT.

#8 yves

yves

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:46 PM

seems to me this new form of advertising is more intrusive because you can't decide to not pay attention to the text your reading while banners on the side can be (fairly)easily ignored. The similarity with links that DO bring you to more relevant information will confuse most people because one would have to know that these are new types of ads and can be recognized by the double underlinement. Wich brings me right to the reason why I get a bad feeling from this type of marketing; marketing nowadays isn't about giving the potential buyer a bunch of arguments as to why one needs a product or why it's better than another product anymore. It goes further because people are getting more and more numb for the constant stream of advertisements everyday wich means the ads have attract attention-wanted or unwanted- . this is where the intellitext ads come in as they're pushin the limit of how much a consumer can/should be bothered with ads.
if I didn't read this forum I would've fallen for the "link to more info" trick sooner or later and I wouldn't be charmed by it. actually I have a clear dislike for marketing tricks like this and I would strongly vote against it.
It's not askin the consumer if he/she might be interested in a product it's tricking the consumer into confrontation with the product wich -from a marketing point of view- is more effective.
another example of this trickery is the beep of the fryin pans at macdonalds. the beeps are loud enough to annoy you but aren't so loud that you it would keep you from going there again. as a result people tend to not stick around at macdonalds to have a nice chat after your meal but usually leave right after finishing wich means more people can come in and have a meal -> more profit.
it's nothing illegal or immoral even but it just makes me feel like an animal wich I really am apart from the fact that I can think! Long live the human brain! down with intelligence insulting marketing!
hope this helps :)
Yves

#9 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:44 PM

Hey folks. Thanks for some of the feedback so far. We now have a test page of what the IntelliTXT ads will look like on IMG.

http://www.insidemac.../index_test.php

One of the advantages that IMG has over other sites is that we rarely direct link stuff in news stories, reviews, etc. Instead, our related links have always been put at the bottom of the ad, so there will be no confusion (for the most part). I checked out MacNN the other day and noticed that they have normal links with IntelliTXT ads mixed in and it looks pretty bad.

Second...disabling this ad. If you mouse over one of the ads and click on "what's this" you'll be taken to a page that explains these types of ads. At the bottom of the page, there is a link to disable this type of add. Please test it out.
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17422 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:40 PM

I had to right click to keep the IntelliTXT window open so that I could mouse over to the text window to click on the "What's this?" link.  Is that normal?  Otherwise when I mouseover the IntelliTXT link the text window pops up but it is far enough off the link so that the window vanishes when I try to move my cursor over it.  Also Safari shows the IntelliTXT link as a bold green with a single underline, only becoming double underline on mouseover.  I have the latest Safari on the latest OSX.

I didn't want to try disabling the IntelliTXT ads at this point so as to continue testing without deleting my cookies.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#11 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:14 PM

It's one of my less favorite forms of ad, but it's livable, especially with the 'disable' feature. If that's what it takes to get the revenue to keep going, it's not a problem.

#12 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:29 PM

Hmm. As a website designer I always add <meta name="MSSmartTagsPreventParsing" content="true" /> to ptrevent MS technology from "enhancing" my website designs with links of their own choosing. I dislike the fact that it, on hover, hides the content I'm trying to read. I dislike having to try to figure out which links are the sites versus which sites are ads. I don';t like having to add a cookie from an advertiser technology site to opt out of seeing them. Opt-in is the more polite way to go.

But I also realize that running a website is an expensive proposition so money is needed. But I'm curious about how much traffic you get a month (in GB) to require advertising. (Just curious as I can pump 200GB of traffic monthly on my ISP for $10/month without extra fee.)

I'll probably whine, but get used to it.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#13 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:34 PM

IMG and MGF are in the terabytes range. Last I checked, over 5 terabytes a month :)
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

#14 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:10 PM

I don't mind this type of ad if it shows up as double underlined, which it does not on IMG test page. As is, with Safari, it's looking too much like a regular link. I definitely would find this sort of advertising displeasing within the forums though.

#15 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:37 PM

Was it turned off again? I just went to the page and I didn't see any of those kinds of links.

Anyways, I concur with what most are saying. On the regular site it'd probably be tolerable, but in forums/blogs it'd be a mess we wouldn't need.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#16 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:43 PM

View PostTuncer (IMG), on February 20th 2006, 04:34 PM, said:

IMG and MGF are in the terabytes range. Last I checked, over 5 terabytes a month :)

Both? I'm guessing MGF does most of that. How much does IMG do, and how much of that isn't videos?

#17 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:10 PM

If you're an IMG Pro user, you won't see the links at all on the test page.
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

#18 BifBologna

BifBologna

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:14 PM

View PostTuncer (IMG), on February 20th 2006, 05:10 PM, said:

If you're an IMG Pro user, you won't see the links at all on the test page.

I could see the links on the test page and I'm pretty sure I was logged in proper. The links were only single underlined till I moused over them though.

In general I'm not a big fan of these type of ad links as I have a tendency to read with my cursor. Seeing as how we should be able to disable them though, I wouldn't think it would be an issue.

Bif

#19 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:01 AM

Hmmm, thats strange. I couldn't see any links. :mellow:

#20 Siriusfox

Siriusfox

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1148 posts
  • Steam Name:opensiriusfox

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:14 AM

For me I had to reload the page 3 or 4 times before the links would show up. Some times they wouldn't at all. And every time they where a different set of words that would be underlined. But they where always green double underlined.

Safari 2.0.3
Mac OSX 10.4.5
20'' iMac Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 10.6.5, 2GB RAM, 256MB ATI X1600

"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." -Doug Larson