4 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 09 February 2006 - 09:55 AM

Macworld UK is reporting that developers of the Open Source x86 Project have succeeded in compiling software to run Windows applications on Intel Macs. Using an OS X friendly version of WINE, a piece of software designed to run Windows apps under Unix/Linux, the project has allowed a small number of Windows programs to run on the new Macs. Although the developers warn the software is far from finished and isn't "anything to get excited about" yet, it is another step closer to running Windows applications on Intel Macs.

From the x86 Project forums:

As for games...let's scale it back a bit...kay?

The wine configure script doesn't "do" opengl on os x, like a great many other things.

Also, note that i've not included *anything* from the Darwine tree as a lot of their stuff is presently set up to *not* work on i386. So i'm going thru, a little bit at a time, and dealing with issues one at a time. Once I think I have a Wine built will all of the normal dependencies in place, I plane to see what I can do about OpenGL, then sound.
To learn more follow the links below.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3917 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 09 February 2006 - 10:48 AM

*Sigh* Wine with OGL would be god send...
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#3 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 10:51 AM

Interesting--but it sounds like it will never be fully compatible with ALL apps, even if gaming on it is possible one day. Still, a free option to run SOME apps will help sell Macs.

The question is, will people using WINE grow faster than the overall Mac market grows? If so, then the market for Mac games could be hurt. But my guess is that WINE won't be on most people's radar, and that the Mac-native game market will grow with the rest of the Mac market.

I'll certainly be willing to wait for a Mac native version of any game.

#4 jeffbax

jeffbax

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 04:03 PM

I will also wait for native ports, although it will be nice for asshole games like HL2 which refuse to port due to obscenely high license costs.

#5 Endymion

Endymion

Master Blaster

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1693 posts
  • Steam Name:Aleksael
  • Steam ID:Aleksael
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:58 AM

The better question is, what will Microsoft do via Connectix Virtual PC.