#61 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 March 2006 - 11:16 AM

View PostMarble, on March 13th 2006, 11:47 PM, said:

I'm intrigued that you can get through the pylon maze without fighting any of them.  I'm sure you'd have to break out your weapons for some of the bonus areas, but very interesting that you can sneak through...

So has anyone played through it with a solo character yet?
Wouldn't you just be a weak fighter who can hardly pick a lock and possesses only a limited number of weak lower-level mage and priest spells?  You don't get any extra knowledge points if you play with fewer characters do you?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#62 Marble

Marble

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:38 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on March 14th 2006, 09:16 AM, said:

Wouldn't you just be a weak fighter who can hardly pick a lock and possesses only a limited number of weak lower-level mage and priest spells?  You don't get any extra knowledge points if you play with fewer characters do you?

I don't know, but apparently it's all the rage over on the Spiderweb forums.

#63 George the Flea

George the Flea

IMG Comma Junkie

• IMG Writers
  • 680 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 03:21 PM

View PostMarble, on March 14th 2006, 12:38 PM, said:

I don't know, but apparently it's all the rage over on the Spiderweb forums.

I think people do it because it is so impossible.  Kind of the equivalent of playing Doom on the highest difficulty.

Admittedly, it would make battles a whole lot more strategic, but I would not want to try even the early "boss" type battles with only a single character.  I had a tough enough time with four party members.

Now if Avernum 4 had a character editor like previous Avernums, it might be easier to give it a go...  :)
Ian
IMG Flunky

Me + web = Beckism.com | Tagamac | One Crayon

#64 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:14 PM

View PostGeorge the Flea, on March 14th 2006, 04:21 PM, said:

I think people do it because it is so impossible.  Kind of the equivalent of playing Doom on the highest difficulty.

Admittedly, it would make battles a whole lot more strategic, but I would not want to try even the early "boss" type battles with only a single character.  I had a tough enough time with four party members.

Now if Avernum 4 had a character editor like previous Avernums, it might be easier to give it a go...  :)

I suppose it would be somewhat possible if you use and abuse the various cheat codes.  
But even then, I just can't see myself having the ambition necessary to actually finish the game in this manner.

#65 Crunchy in milk

Crunchy in milk

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 11:18 PM

View PostMacProject, on March 15th 2006, 01:14 AM, said:

I suppose it would be somewhat possible if you use and abuse the various cheat codes.  

Smaller parties make the turn based combat less tedious.

I thought humans where considerably underpowered in the game compared to the racial bonuses for the lizard and cat people.  If you make a priest lizard, no points spent = decent melee character, likewise the cat people are almost free archers, freeing up your points for mage or priest abilities.  The exp penalties are nothing to speak of.

Straight rogues pay through the nose if you spend all those points on Tool Use.  There will be doors you still can't open but traps are never more difficult than 15... Enter the mage/thief build and you only need a little tool use for traps, the rest is handled by magery skills and the unlock door spell (which also unlocks chests).

I can see why it appeals to some people to think about 'smart' character builds, the limited point buy system lends itself to such, but going solo is the extreme.

"Singleton", the apparent term for going solo rely heavily on knowing the game and ruleset inside out.  Kind of takes the fun out of the game (imo) from both world exploration and character building.

Doing it without cheats is usually the whole point but it seems rather common to abuse the free party slots by making lore/lockpick "whores" to temporarily boost your skills in those stats when opening locks or reading books or discovering hidden caches.  Then deleting those characters afterwards.

#66 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:02 PM

View PostCrunchy in milk, on March 14th 2006, 09:18 PM, said:

Smaller parties make the turn based combat less tedious.
Yeah but larger parties allow you to have more turns pounding the poo out of your enemies before it is their turn to pound back on you.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#67 Luminus

Luminus

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:10 PM

View PostGeorge the Flea, on March 14th 2006, 02:21 PM, said:

I urge everyone to play this game on Torment.  It really forces you to think a whole lot more during battles.  When you reach a new area even the most basic enemies can kill you easily until you have some time to level up.  The "boss" battles become intense and generally take several tries, my battle with that shade that causes fear was crazy...  The fight ended up raging across a good portion of the town.  Pretty much the only thing Avernum 4 does undeniably better than the other Avernum's is combat.

#68 Crunchy in milk

Crunchy in milk

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 12:15 AM

View PostLuminus, on March 17th 2006, 07:10 PM, said:

I urge everyone to play this game on Torment.

I don't have that much patience.

The interface is too clunky, couple this with the fact that on any difficulty setting a single miss-click can cost you a party member if not completely wipe you out in certain harder battles.  It just means you spend the rest of the game hitting f3 far too often to become immersed.

The game is certainly combat focused, I just wish it had a better targeting/spell system to justify it all.

#69 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 10:41 AM

I can' tell you how many times I thought I was clicking on a monster to attack it but instead sent one of my party off to run around behind him to be surrounded by the enemy.  @#%$&! F3.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#70 zapranoth

zapranoth

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 11:52 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on March 18th 2006, 10:41 AM, said:

I can' tell you how many times I thought I was clicking on a monster to attack it but instead sent one of my party off to run around behind him to be surrounded by the enemy.  @#%$&! F3.

I always target spells by typing letters on the keyboard (am I mixing A1 and A4 up now?  I've been playing A1 this last bit.)    That way the worst you can do is get the "do you really want to target your fighter with Ice Lances" type prompt and you can fix it.

But I do hate that one.  Or when I type too fast and am trying to cast mage spell "e" with my priest, so I end up keying to "end combat."   The round ends, the party consolidates (next to the gazer or whatever).  I take a small, horrified breath, hit "f," my rogue gets to fire once and then all hell breaks loose...

This sort of problem is just the price you pay for going from the old exile tileset system to this..  I think it's worth it.
"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard, and floor it.
Floor it.  That's technical talk."   - SRV

#71 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:28 AM

View PostCrunchy in milk, on March 18th 2006, 01:15 AM, said:

The interface is too clunky, couple this with the fact that on any difficulty setting a single miss-click can cost you a party member if not completely wipe you out in certain harder battles.  

It felt ok to me, but then again I had played some of the Geneforge games heavily prior to Avernum 4.