#41 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:47 AM

View PostBatcat, on February 25th 2006, 04:32 AM, said:

I warned you about this! I warned you you couldn't handle RPGs... but nooooo, you had to play Avernum 4.

The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a torch in Exile 2! And meanwhile the M4 thread sits sad and forlorn, gathering cobwebs. Even recent mentions of RtCW can't rouse you from role-playing torpor! :angry:

We'll see... and stuff.
I finished yesterday.  I remember now things I had forgotten.  Fresh air, flowers in the garden, the house arrest cuff buzzing.  I seem to have a wife and two cats.  Better that I suppose than the other way around.  I can't remember my last name but I'm sure I must be related to Howard Hughes because I have 5 inch long fingernails and toenails.

I never did bring Dowdy enough metal though I slaved like a donkey packing it in for him, nor did I find a way to get Goodman Thorious to give me his quest.  But I sure kicked a lot of hinney and took a bushel of names, saved the day, brought peace to a troubled land and retired rich and famous.  That's sort of mirrors my own life only without all the hinney and names and saving and peace and fortune and fame.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#42 Noema

Noema

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 12:04 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on February 25th 2006, 11:47 AM, said:

...nor did I find a way to get Goodman Thorious to give me his quest.
The Thorius quest may be dependent on other actions you take in the game. He just wanted you to kill some poor slob who took a notion on his daughter. It really just made you feel bad for taking the quest in the first place.

I missed out on one quest, a gate in the side of mountain early on that required a key. But, I killed the goblin that I think would have enabled me to get the key. Too bad... I hated those goblins from the earlier games.

#43 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:18 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on February 25th 2006, 12:47 PM, said:

I never did bring Dowdy enough metal though I slaved like a donkey packing it in for him,

I think the Dowdy metal bar quest is one of those never-ending quests that exist in some other Spiderweb games (ie: Geneforge III).  It's there to provide you with a good source of income throughout if you're ever stuck for cash.  Plenty of iron bars exist for that purpose.

But good to hear you finished the game.  I'm almost there myself.

#44 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 02:44 PM

View PostNoema, on February 25th 2006, 10:04 AM, said:

The Thorius quest may be dependent on other actions you take in the game. He just wanted you to kill some poor slob who took a notion on his daughter. It really just made you feel bad for taking the quest in the first place.
Didn't notice this post until today.  I guess it's just as well I didn't figure this one out.  

I missed out on one quest, a gate in the side of mountain early on that required a key. But, I killed the goblin that I think would have enabled me to get the key. Too bad... I hated those goblins from the earlier games.
You are talking about Giscard west of Formello.  You find a body elsewhere in the game that when searched provides you with a letter of introduction to Giscard.  Giscard hires you to remove a goblin from his storeroom (behind the locked gate you mention)  The goblin just wants some goblin wine that was taken from him, you can either kill him or find him several bottles of goblin wine to complete the quest.  Just like you felt bad for killing the daughter's suitor, I felt bad about killing the goblin so I returned what was stolen from him.

View PostMacProject, on February 27th 2006, 08:18 AM, said:

I think the Dowdy metal bar quest is one of those never-ending quests that exist in some other Spiderweb games (ie: Geneforge III).  It's there to provide you with a good source of income throughout if you're ever stuck for cash.  Plenty of iron bars exist for that purpose.

You know what I expected to happen?  I thought that I was going to go there just before the end of the game and he was going to give me a super duper killer diller sword or spear, something special he created with the iron I brought him, out of gratitude for bringing him raw materials he couldn't get elsewhere.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#45 Marble

Marble

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 01:33 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on February 27th 2006, 12:44 PM, said:

Didn't notice this post until today.  I guess it's just as well I didn't figure this one out.  
You are talking about Giscard west of Formello.  You find a body elsewhere in the game that when searched provides you with a letter of introduction to Giscard.  Giscard hires you to remove a goblin from his storeroom (behind the locked gate you mention)  The goblin just wants some goblin wine that was taken from him, you can either kill him or find him several bottles of goblin wine to complete the quest.  Just like you felt bad for killing the daughter's suitor, I felt bad about killing the goblin so I returned what was stolen from him.
You know what I expected to happen?  I thought that I was going to go there just before the end of the game and he was going to give me a super duper killer diller sword or spear, something special he created with the iron I brought him, out of gratitude for bringing him raw materials he couldn't get elsewhere.

Ha!  As far as I could tell, the best weapons in the game were the jade halberd that sprayed acid and the venomous waveblade (the Demonslayer has the same av. damage and better protection but doesn't poison your enemy, which counts for a little bit of extra damage each round).  Anyone else find something better?

#46 zapranoth

zapranoth

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:31 AM

Great game, but -- the beta testers who didn't complain about the Pylon Marathon on the way to get you-know-who...

... ought to be lined up in front of a firing squad of pylons.    :blink:

Edit:  Aaack.  Hit new topic instead of reply, sorry.
"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard, and floor it.
Floor it.  That's technical talk."   - SRV

#47 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 11:13 AM

Fixed that post for you.  Those pylons were very monotonous and tedious, and in my opinion the worst part of the game.  It was OK the first few times, you figure out how to attack it so it can't regenerate it's health then you sit there and repeatedly hit it ad nauseam.  Ah killed it!  Now only 9,765 more to go!  Weeeeeeee having fun now!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#48 zapranoth

zapranoth

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 05:09 AM

There is, I presume, an End To The Pylons here someday.

And somewhere beyond all these pylons, good old You Know Who will have a key to all these difficulty 30 doors that I'm not able to open?

Grrrrr.

#49 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:23 AM

Yeah, eventually some day you will reach the last of the pylons.  Meanwhile some punk is eying your lonely girlfriend.  You find yourself behind many of the doors you can't unlock as you travel the switch backs in the cave.  Some are keyed true, but if you develop your mage and buy upgrades to unlocking spells you will get through most doors in the game.  Be on the lookout for the Tinker's Gloves and the Tinker's Bauble, two items that boost your lock picking abilities.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#50 zapranoth

zapranoth

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 02:08 AM

Wow, the last run was a lot of work... at least pylons weren't involved.  Finished the game at last.

I never did figure out two things:

1.   How do you get into the Dark side's little hideaway?  You know, the room that opens up with archers on all sides...?  I never did get in there.

2.   How do you open the doors that give you the message about a "spot marked X that is SW from Dharmon?"

#51 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:03 AM

View Postzapranoth, on March 9th 2006, 12:08 AM, said:

Wow, the last run was a lot of work... at least pylons weren't involved.  Finished the game at last.

I never did figure out two things:

1.   How do you get into the Dark side's little hideaway?  You know, the room that opens up with archers on all sides...?  I never did get in there.

2.   How do you open the doors that give you the message about a "spot marked X that is SW from Dharmon?"
1. You need to follow all of the little steps leading down and up.  If you miss one you can miss out on big stuff.  Access to it is in the last portions of the game.  Clearing out the Dark Side's hideaway completes a quest, you'll want to do that.

2. One of the testing rooms is behind that door.  The only way through that door is to complete the previous test.  Search Southwest of Dharmon for the previous door.  If you can't get through THAT door you must follow the hint to the previous door until you catch up on your tests.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#52 Marble

Marble

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:00 PM

Was anyone able to find a test after the one in the Abyss (which was ludicrously easy)?

#53 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:41 PM

Not I.  Each test mention a test to come except for that one.  It was probably the last one.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#54 Marble

Marble

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:26 PM

Hmmm.  Was anyone able to actually kill Dorikas?

#55 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:18 AM

No, he flees.  I think it is scripted that he escape.  My thinking after pounding the bloody snot out of him with a full round of turns after his health bar was only a bare sliver, was that he is being saved for a sequel.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#56 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:53 PM

View PostMacProject, on February 27th 2006, 10:18 AM, said:

::waits for dread news of BC's playthru #2::

View Postthe Battle Cat, on February 27th 2006, 02:44 PM, said:

♪"Speaw and magic hewmet"♪♪?

View Postthe Battle Cat, on March 10th 2006, 10:18 AM, said:

No, he flees.  I think it is scripted that he escape.  My thinking after pounding the bloody snot out of him with a full round of turns after his health bar was only a bare sliver, was that he is being saved for a sequel.
Sequel? :blink:

#57 Luminus

Luminus

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 07:23 PM

View Postzapranoth, on March 7th 2006, 08:31 AM, said:

Great game, but -- the beta testers who didn't complain about the Pylon Marathon on the way to get you-know-who...

... ought to be lined up in front of a firing squad of pylons.    :blink:

Edit:  Aaack.  Hit new topic instead of reply, sorry.

I haven't beaten the game quite yet (my party's up in the abyss, pusuing you know who for the second time) but if you're talking about the pylons I think you are, you don't need to destroy them.  If you're very careful, you can make it past them without needing to kill a single one.  It requires running, thinking, and a lot of trial and error, but it's how I made it through the pylons.  On torment my party couldn't take a pylon without someone dying.

That said, they still went on for a long, long time.

#58 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 07:56 PM

-===SPOILER ===-

Approach a pylon so that only one of the party is within range of a pylon's attack.  The pylon cannot heal itself if at least one party member is within range of the pylon's attack.  Other party members can be right behind him and take no damage but still be within range to hammer the pylon with arrows.  As the leading character takes damage, the priest heals him when his turn comes.  With the haste spell, this is a very effective maneuver against the pylons.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#59 Marble

Marble

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:47 AM

I'm intrigued that you can get through the pylon maze without fighting any of them.  I'm sure you'd have to break out your weapons for some of the bonus areas, but very interesting that you can sneak through...

So has anyone played through it with a solo character yet?

#60 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:44 AM

View PostMarble, on March 14th 2006, 02:47 AM, said:

So has anyone played through it with a solo character yet?

Haven't tried it, and knowing full well the obstacles that you encounter near the end, I don't think it would honestly be doable...