#21 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:51 AM

View PostLuminus, on February 2nd 2006, 10:06 PM, said:

I wish there were still books.  In Exile 3, I started a library in that house you can buy.  Eventually I had so many books along with other random items in the house that the game told me I couldn't drop any more!

Brings back memories of the months I spent playing Morrowind and making it a goal to acquire a copy of every book in the game.

There are "book" related items in Avernum 4, though you do end up giving away most of them in associated quests.  You get research notes in the Tower Colony and some other books in the Patrick Tower region.

#22 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 06:53 PM

I've been enjoying the demo, but for some reason, it slows down when I pass through towns. Does anybody else have this problem?
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#23 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:13 PM

No.  I'm still running version 1.0.  What version are you running?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#24 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:32 PM

I'm also running 1.0.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#25 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:31 PM

View PostDark_Archon, on February 3rd 2006, 07:53 PM, said:

I've been enjoying the demo, but for some reason, it slows down when I pass through towns. Does anybody else have this problem?

It does that occassionally for me too, I believe it's the "seamless world" graphics engine loading in scenery and updating the shadowing.  I'm running 1.0.1 on a G4 eMac.

#26 Marble

Marble

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:23 PM

View PostMacProject, on February 3rd 2006, 06:31 PM, said:

It does that occassionally for me too, I believe it's the "seamless world" graphics engine loading in scenery and updating the shadowing.  I'm running 1.0.1 on a G4 eMac.

The game seems to slow a little when it's got lots of character movements to process, so cities, especially ones with lots of free-moving characters like Mertis, seem to bog down a little.  I notice that I can't play iTunes with the VolumeLogic plugin in the background (for sound enhancement) because Avernum is incredibly slow, especially in towns.

#27 zapranoth

zapranoth

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:01 PM

Ah, I've started playing Avernum 4.

I had forgotten how much I enjoy Jeff's games.  There are certain thematic elements that are always present, and make me laugh.  Case in point?

You're in an enemy base and find an altar with some tasty bit of treasure sitting on it.

You hit quicksave.

Options:

1.   Pick it up?
2.   Leave it alone.

You hit 1, and yes, a demon appears and probably kicks your ass.  =)  I love it.
"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard, and floor it.
Floor it.  That's technical talk."   - SRV

#28 Rubel

Rubel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:02 AM

But you've gotta grab the treasure! Demons, fah!
I left my heart in Port Montyhaul.

#29 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:04 AM

View Postzapranoth, on February 22nd 2006, 08:01 PM, said:

Ah, I've started playing Avernum 4.

I had forgotten how much I enjoy Jeff's games.  There are certain thematic elements that are always present, and make me laugh.  Case in point?

You're in an enemy base and find an altar with some tasty bit of treasure sitting on it.

You hit quicksave.

Options:

1.   Pick it up?
2.   Leave it alone.
You hit 1, and yes, a demon appears and probably kicks your ass.  =)  I love it.
I've been playing this game as hard as I can for weeks now.  It is a LONG game but almost all of it is very enjoyable.  There are some areas where security pylons make the game play very tedious where you slowly hammer them down, but all in all very rewarding to play.  What other games did Jeff do?  I'd be interested in getting one after Quake IV and CoD 2 wear thin.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#30 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:03 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on February 23rd 2006, 11:04 AM, said:

I've been playing this game as hard as I can for weeks now.  It is a LONG game but almost all of it is very enjoyable.  There are some areas where security pylons make the game play very tedious where you slowly hammer them down, but all in all very rewarding to play.  What other games did Jeff do?  I'd be interested in getting one after Quake IV and CoD 2 wear thin.

Yeah, I know what you mean.  The pylon sections (particularly around the Fort Remote region) just add a tedious element  to an otherwise great game.  
Jeff worked on a number of games with the Exile series and Geneforge being some of his best efforts.  You might want to try out Geneforge III after you finish up Avernum 4.  Similar engine (control is more like Diablo from a movement perspective) and gameplay, but with a sci-fi setting and multiple endings.

#31 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 03:50 PM

View PostMacProject, on February 23rd 2006, 09:03 AM, said:

Yeah, I know what you mean.  The pylon sections (particularly around the Fort Remote region) just add a tedious element  to an otherwise great game.  
Jeff worked on a number of games with the Exile series and Geneforge being some of his best efforts.  You might want to try out Geneforge III after you finish up Avernum 4.  Similar engine (control is more like Diablo from a movement perspective) and gameplay, but with a sci-fi setting and multiple endings.
I like the turn based 4 man team.  Does Geneforge III have that?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#32 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:52 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on February 23rd 2006, 04:50 PM, said:

I like the turn based 4 man team.  Does Geneforge III have that?

When you enter battle mode, yes.

Though you can have more than 4 people in your party since (depending on the character you play as) you can potentially create/spawn creatures to fight for you.  

Download a demo and try it.

#33 Marble

Marble

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 05:55 PM

Yeah, the pylons were such a pain, particularly because the only way for me to beat them down without getting maimed (being frozen sucks) was to fully spell up my characters before each encounter.  What a waste of spell points that could be better suited to blowing things up!

I finished the game a week ago and was a smidge disappointed.

SPOILERS FOR THE MIDDLE OF THE GAME:

It's kind of annoying to see another Rentar Ihrno runaround.  This was the same foe that I remember fighting in Exile 3 way back, doing all the same things with monster plagues, etc.  In the end, I probably enjoyed Avernum 4 less than any of the Exile games.  Something about the originals.

It's interesting to see how the conversation engine has evolved in Jeff's games.  Originally it was a text box you could type in that would get parsed, then it moved on to "hyperlinked" words in dialogue that would move you on to other topics, and now it's Baldur's Gate style.  This sounds really weird, but I miss the text box.  It let me think a little harder about what was going on and about what sorts of things the NPCs might be interested in talking about.

Anyway, I was hoping for a new take on the world of Avernum but got an enjoyable (if slightly repetitive) tasking game.  Fair enough!

#34 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 06:55 PM

View PostMacProject, on February 23rd 2006, 02:52 PM, said:

When you enter battle mode, yes.

Though you can have more than 4 people in your party since (depending on the character you play as) you can potentially create/spawn creatures to fight for you.  

Download a demo and try it.
I'm afraid to.  I'm nearly at the end of this game.  I see the life I'm going to have again waving to me from the horizon.

Hey, I have completed almost every quest except for finding "The Blosk Maps".  I've been all over Blosk a brazilian times looking for them.  Anybody have any hints for me?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#35 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:07 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on February 23rd 2006, 07:55 PM, said:

Hey, I have completed almost every quest except for finding "The Blosk Maps".  I've been all over Blosk a brazilian times looking for them.  Anybody have any hints for me?

That's because they're not located in Blosk.  :)
Search the ruined barracks in Cotra...

#36 zapranoth

zapranoth

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:27 PM

TBC:   play the original Exile series.   Start with Exile I.   Seriously.  If you want to play the best of what Jeff has done, play the original.   The graphics are radically different, but the story is king.

(here)
Oh, yah, I agree... MUST grab the treasure on the altar.  Always!  After casting every preparatory spell you can, that is...
"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard, and floor it.
Floor it.  That's technical talk."   - SRV

#37 Marble

Marble

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:56 PM

It's intriguing that Jeff ditched the six characters from Exile when remaking it into Avernum.  Granted, all the way through Exile 2 I had an absolutely worthless lockpicker/archer that constantly died.  But it was still fun not to be forced so rigidly into specializing a whole 50% of your party off the bat to be your mage/priest (and the other two, most likely, your pole weapon user and your melee weapon user).  The other side effect was that you felt like more of a band.  

SLIGHT SPOILERS FOR EXILE 2

I remember looking out over an Empire assault squad that had around 30 enemies and hunkering down for an epic showdown.  In Avernum 4, it's serious by game standards if you have to fight a wave of seven chitrachs and even then you better have spelled up, wedged yourself in a bottleneck, and dedicated at least one of your characters to constantly healing, removing poison, etc.  Larger bodies of enemies in the Exile games also allowed for larger area attack spells (Divine Thud, anyone?  Firestorm?), and the top-down perspective made it simple to visualize the field (how many times in Avernum 4 did you accidentally click on your character to "wait" in combat when you meant to move directly northwest?  How many times did you just miss that other enemy with your area attack spell?).  I know that fighting the Haaki in Exile 3 that had totally demolished the famous Tower of the Magi was more emotional and angry a moment than any of the big fights from Avernum 4, and that climbing soaking wet with no food, no gold, hardly any hp or spell points, and all your items used or useless only to be ambushed by the first group of vahnati you see in Exile 2 trumped any of the twists in Av.4, like the betrayal of the vahnati in the Castle, etc.

Still, I played all the way through, didn't I?  I love Spiderweb's work and think that Jeff has distinguished himself in a niche that few thought existed—fairly literate shareware.

#38 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 10:43 AM

View PostMacProject, on February 23rd 2006, 06:07 PM, said:

That's because they're not located in Blosk.  :)
Search the ruined barracks in Cotra...
Now that's just not logical!  What clue did I miss that would send me backtracking there?  I found the body with the letter of introduction to Giscard west of Formello and he had me clear his storeroom of the goblin, but I'm stuck with Goodman Thorious east of Mertis.  He won't speak to me and I'm sure he has a quest for me.  Clues are preferable to outright spoilers.

View Postzapranoth, on February 23rd 2006, 06:27 PM, said:

TBC:   play the original Exile series.   Start with Exile I.   Seriously.  If you want to play the best of what Jeff has done, play the original.   The graphics are radically different, but the story is king.
I downloaded this.  But I can't look at it for several months.  I have to do other things like live my life... and stuff.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#39 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 11:40 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on February 24th 2006, 11:43 AM, said:

Now that's just not logical!  What clue did I miss that would send me backtracking there?  I found the body with the letter of introduction to Giscard west of Formello and he had me clear his storeroom of the goblin, but I'm stuck with Goodman Thorious east of Mertis.  He won't speak to me and I'm sure he has a quest for me.  Clues are preferable to outright spoilers.

For the life of me I haven't been able to figure out the Goodman Thorious quest either.  
I must have missed something somewhere.

#40 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 06:32 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on February 24th 2006, 10:43 AM, said:

I downloaded this.  But I can't look at it for several months.  I have to do other things like live my life... and stuff.
I warned you about this! I warned you you couldn't handle RPGs... but nooooo, you had to play Avernum 4.

The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a torch in Exile 2! And meanwhile the M4 thread sits sad and forlorn, gathering cobwebs. Even recent mentions of RtCW can't rouse you from role-playing torpor! :angry:

We'll see... and stuff.