504 replies to this topic

#61 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 04:30 PM

Chin up, Edwin. :)  This is still worthwhile, and time will tell about the rest.

#62 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:41 PM

View PostWSTE_M, on April 11th 2006, 05:41 PM, said:

Because unlike Photoshop, Flash or whatever, games have a tendancy to be outdated pretty quickly.

Not the good ones.  Age of Empires II still sells a pretty hefty number of copies on the PC for example, even quite some time after Age III has been released.  The flash-in-the-pan games, yeah...but those were rarely ported anyway.  Because of the delays, Mac ports have pretty much mostly been the type of games that would have a reasonably wide appeal and not be the sort of thing that people forget about after a few weeks or months.

--Eric

#63 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:02 AM

View PostBatcat, on April 11th 2006, 03:30 PM, said:

Chin up, Edwin. :)  This is still worthwhile, and time will tell about the rest.

Thanks  :)

iRolley, on April 11th 2006, said:

releasing a demo before releasing the full game... or something.

We would love to do something like that but unlike an original PC game where you might have a section finished so you can release a demo of that area, a Mac port is converting a finished game so the entire game and demo is finished from the beginning. The only task is to get it running correctly, once the demo is fine so is the full game and vice versa so being able to release the demo first is normally impossible. However we can and normally do release the Demo as soon as we have a finished version.

Cheers,

Edwin

#64 Jan

Jan

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Steam Name:Jan
  • Steam ID:janfeld
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 14 April 2006 - 06:35 AM

I don't mind waiting for a good game a few months more if I can play it using OS X. I really hope Feral keeps porting great games to the Mac, because they're focusing on stuff besides the usual dull AAA shooters.

I'm glad a game like Fable The Lost Chapters makes it to the Mac and I have no intention to boot into Windows just to play that game. And I think MANY Mac users think the same way. I hate Windows, it's a piece of crap, and I can't be bothered to waste hard drive space for an outdated, insecure OS.

Maybe I'm not hardcore enough at least not in the sense of "have to get F.E.A.R on release date or I'm gonna die" or I'm just too old for that stuff. But, like many other users, I've got three consoles and a Mac. If I'm desperate to play something that will never, ever make it to the Mac, there's a big chance it's available for consoles.

Let's be honest: Our iMacs and MBPs are pretty darn cool, fast machines. But even an Xbox 360 blows them out of the water frame- and resolution-wise and the PS3 will beat the living daylight popsnizzle out of them.

Edwin and the other fine guys at Feral: Keep up the great work, bring some cool niche titles to our platform and release Fable as soon as possible. :)
Feral Account: Jan

MacBook 12" with Retina Display (Early 2015)
Core M 1,2 GHz | 8 GB RAM | 512 GB Flash
Intel HD5300 1536 MB VRAM
macOS Sierra

Now playing: Mad Max, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ultra Street Fighter II, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#65 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:45 PM

View Postedddeduck, on April 12th 2006, 03:02 AM, said:

We would love to do something like that but unlike an original PC game where you might have a section finished so you can release a demo of that area, a Mac port is converting a finished game so the entire game and demo is finished from the beginning. The only task is to get it running correctly, once the demo is fine so is the full game and vice versa so being able to release the demo first is normally impossible. However we can and normally do release the Demo as soon as we have a finished version.

Cheers,

Edwin

Well, for a demo you only have to to QA a few tracks/levels instead of the whole game. I agree that if the demo runs properly than the engine is working properly so the whole game should run as well, but you still have to QA it all, no?

Anyway I am not in that business right now, so who am I to talk.

I agree with Jan though. I will probably NEVER install windows on my Mac, although, I like Mac port to be released ASAP, I think 2-3 months is fine, take for example the Quake 4 port. But a good game is always a good game, and Feral is the only company doing racing games. I am very happy you guys chose Colin Mc Rae. Feral has my whole support, porting Max Payne, Black and White, XIII, fable, almost all mac racing games... you guys really choose your port very carefully. We appreciate that.

#66 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:18 AM

View PostiRolley, on April 14th 2006, 09:45 PM, said:

Well, for a demo you only have to to QA a few tracks/levels instead of the whole game.

We don't have two parallel development paths, as the demo and the game are in effect the same. As such things happen at the same time. Hence they tend to be finished at the same time. Although the number of levels to QA might be lower, the number of machines and graphics cards don't get any smaller and that is what tends to take the time. :)

View PostiRolley, on April 14th 2006, 09:45 PM, said:

I agree with Jan though. I will probably NEVER install windows on my Mac, although, I like Mac port to be released ASAP, I think 2-3 months is fine, take for example the Quake 4 port. But a good game is always a good game, and Feral is the only company doing racing games. I am very happy you guys chose Colin Mc Rae. Feral has my whole support, porting Max Payne, Black and White, XIII, fable, almost all mac racing games... you guys really choose your port very carefully. We appreciate that.

Thanks for the kind comments :blush: We try our best :)

Cheers,

Edwin

#67 frank_t

frank_t

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 04:27 AM

edddeduck i have to ask as i'm a F1 fan and still play your port to this day (even tho it's 6 years old now) when or will we ever see another F1 game on the mac? the 2000 version you guys ported is really showing it's age and i know Sony has a contract for all F1 titles i think till up to 2007 but will you guys port a new F1 game to os x if it opens to all publishers? Even the last F1 game before Sony took over would be good!

#68 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 04:49 AM

View Postfrank_t, on April 25th 2006, 03:27 AM, said:

edddeduck i have to ask as i'm a F1 fan and still play your port to this day (even tho it's 6 years old now) when or will we ever see another F1 game on the mac? the 2000 version you guys ported is really showing it's age and i know Sony has a contract for all F1 titles i think till up to 2007 but will you guys port a new F1 game to os x if it opens to all publishers? Even the last F1 game before Sony took over would be good!

As an F1 fan myself I would love to spend my days developing/porting a new F1 game! Your comments along with others via email influence what games we licence in the future, but as you have mentioned this depends on contracts and other items that are often out of our control.

As I am not a time traveller I don't know what games will eventually make it to the Mac but I am sure that
an F1 game will make it to the Mac again at some point in the future after the exclusive Sony licence has finished. As this is not until the end of the 2007 season at the earliest we will not find out for quite a while.

Edwin

#69 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:21 PM

View Postedddeduck, on April 25th 2006, 11:49 AM, said:

As an F1 fan myself I would love to spend my days developing/porting a new F1 game! Your comments along with others via email influence what games we licence in the future, but as you have mentioned this depends on contracts and other items that are often out of our control.

As I am not a time traveller I don't know what games will eventually make it to the Mac but I am sure that
an F1 game will make it to the Mac again at some point in the future after the exclusive Sony licence has finished. As this is not until the end of the 2007 season at the earliest we will not find out for quite a while.

Edwin

The release of F1 2000 on the Mac was great! I used to play Microprose Grand Prix 2 under emulation before that - it was the only reason I ever even got the emulator. With a proper Mac release you could use a wheel and pedals which was so much better. The only problem with F1 2000 is that it wasn't as customisable. I used to download updated cars and tracks for each season with GP2.

If another F1 game arrives I'll buy. I hope F1 2000 works on an Intel Mac when I have to upgrade otherwise I'll need to keep an older Mac around somewhere.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#70 frank_t

frank_t

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:02 PM

Good to see your into F1 also.....i guess porting the last game before Sony license took over would be pointless as people would look at the name of the game and ask why get it (F1 2002 i think was the last one before sony took over the license) would still be welcomed but i understand there are many factors to porting a game like that.

One can dream i guess  :blush:

#71 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:59 AM

I have two questions:
Will the game support widescreen display ?
and what kind of wheels can I use ?
I was thinking of the Saitek R220, can it be used ?
(and with Total Immersion & F1200 too ?)

W
blowing stuff up in the virtual world since 1994

#72 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 02:54 PM

View PostWSTE_M, on April 26th 2006, 10:59 AM, said:

I have two questions:
Will the game support widescreen display ?
and what kind of wheels can I use ?
I was thinking of the Saitek R220, can it be used ?
(and with Total Immersion & F1200 too ?)

W

True, I hope Colin Mc Rae will support Widescreen.

I use the logitech Momo Racing. The steering wheel is fine but the pedals are bad (not enough pressure, you don't feel when you are pressing it or not).

Total Immersion and F1 2000 are great games. TI does not run well on my Intel Imac though. Haven't tried F1 2000.

#73 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 02:39 AM

View PostiRolley, on April 26th 2006, 01:54 PM, said:

True, I hope Colin Mc Rae will support Widescreen.

Total Immersion and F1 2000 are great games. TI does not run well on my Intel Imac though. Haven't tried F1 2000.

F1 2000 plays fine under Rosetta and TIR should run OK if you turn down the graphics settings to near to the minimum settings.

Colin McRae should have full widescreen support but this will be confirmed at a later date as it is not certain yet. If it is possible to have the game in widescreen we will.

Cheers,

Edwin

#74 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 08:40 AM

View Postedddeduck, on April 27th 2006, 10:39 AM, said:

F1 2000 plays fine under Rosetta and TIR should run OK if you turn down the graphics settings to near to the minimum settings.

Colin McRae should have full widescreen support but this will be confirmed at a later date as it is not certain yet. If it is possible to have the game in widescreen we will.

Cheers,

Edwin

Cool! iHope for the best.
What about the Saitek wheel ?

W

#75 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 08:59 AM

View PostWSTE_M, on April 27th 2006, 07:40 AM, said:

Cool! iHope for the best.
What about the Saitek wheel ?

W

Supported USB Devices

We support Saitek wheels although I have not tested your specific one. I would try out a demo for Ford Racing or TIR and test the wheel, it should work fine.

FFB (if the wheel has the function) will not as far as I know work as Saitek don't have FFB drivers on the Mac.

Cheers,

Edwin

#76 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 12:32 PM

View Postedddeduck, on April 27th 2006, 04:59 PM, said:

Supported USB Devices

We support Saitek wheels although I have not tested your specific one. I would try out a demo for Ford Racing or TIR and test the wheel, it should work fine.

FFB (if the wheel has the function) will not as far as I know work as Saitek don't have FFB drivers on the Mac.

Cheers,

Edwin

Cool!
Many thanks for the reply!
You may not support the R220, but you do suppor the R440, which is better (has rubmle feedback) weee!! :D

W

#77 teamturbo_2000

teamturbo_2000

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:42 PM

Still no word on when the release will be?  I think this is my most awaited game for a Mac to date.  The mac platform hasent had any good racing games-ever.  This is gonna be the first mainstream highend racing game to hit Mac.

I check this site daily for news.  One day it will be here.  I'll most likely sell my G5 and go Intel and just play everything via windows mode.  Much cheaper games, better games, no wait needed.  Just stop by your local Walmart and you're good to go.
My Setup
iMac 24" Intel Core 2 Duo (2.16)
2 Gigs Ram
7600 GT 256MB Graphics Card
Blue Toothed Keyboard & Mighty Mouse

#78 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 12:12 AM

View Postteamturbo_2000, on April 27th 2006, 09:42 PM, said:

I check this site daily for news.  One day it will be here.  I'll most likely sell my G5 and go Intel and just play everything via windows mode.  Much cheaper games, better games, no wait needed.  Just stop by your local Walmart and you're good to go.

Yeah, but then you have to buy that nasty, smelly Windows, and then you have to reboot and stuff.  Bleh.

Well, seriously, over the last week or so I've asked myself if dual booting would really be that bad, so I've been monitoring my computing habits.  It would actually be worse than I thought...I really do pretty much need OS X going all the time, especially on those occasions when I'm rendering stuff using one CPU and gaming with the other.  ('Course, I'm not playing games like Quake 4 when I'm doing that, but with lesser games it's fine.)

So!  Since it's been oh, whole MINUTES since anyone's asked, I'll just say:

Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it-- [bans self from board]

--Eric

#79 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 08:41 AM

View PostEric5h5, on April 28th 2006, 01:12 AM, said:

Yeah, but then you have to buy that nasty, smelly Windows, and then you have to reboot and stuff.  Bleh.

Well, seriously, over the last week or so I've asked myself if dual booting would really be that bad, so I've been monitoring my computing habits.  It would actually be worse than I thought...I really do pretty much need OS X going all the time, especially on those occasions when I'm rendering stuff using one CPU and gaming with the other.  ('Course, I'm not playing games like Quake 4 when I'm doing that, but with lesser games it's fine.)
Come Fall, MacMall will probably sell you preinstalled virtualization (sorry, Eddy). :mellow:

So!  Since it's been oh, whole MINUTES since anyone's asked, I'll just say:

Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it-- [bans self from board]

--Eric
You can't. You're only a Mod. :)

#80 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 11:26 AM

View PostBatcat, on April 28th 2006, 10:41 AM, said:

Come Fall, MacMall will probably sell you preinstalled virtualization (sorry, Eddy). :mellow:

Don't worry, it won't have 3D support, making it useless for games.

You can't. You're only a Mod. :)

Oh...well, THAT explains why I've been trying to ban you for a week now, and nothing happens!  Dammit!

--Eric