Colin McRae Racing Mac

• Please log in to reply
504 replies to this topic

#461 Claude-1300

Claude-1300

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:02 PM

Could the people who have achieved good results with the Input Calibrator be so nice to post a step-by-step instruction guide here ?

I D/L'ded the app, and it recognizes indeed my Formula Force GP, but I cannot modify any of the buttons (I have to duplicate the "set" to be able to edit the buttons). Editing the axis (accelerator, brake) do work well.

But still no joy to have "button 1" recognized.

Can anyone please show her/his didactic skills ? ;)

txs in advance

#462 silicongurnu

silicongurnu

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:23 PM

Hi again,

Still playing this game :) Will u consider maybe a no cd patch? It's an older game now and I'd like to save my DVD from being too worn if possible.. Also, really hoping that the widescreen issue can be fixed or I can select to play 1280 res with a widescreen.. thank you

#463 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:14 AM

View Postsilicongurnu, on 24 April 2010 - 03:23 PM, said:

Hi again,

Still playing this game :) Will u consider maybe a no cd patch? It's an older game now and I'd like to save my DVD from being too worn if possible..

Sorry but no, although to allay your fears your DVD should not get worn (unless you have a damaged DVD Drive) the disk is only used at startup so playing colin a few thousand times will give as much wear as playing a DVD film once. :) We will look at allowing a serial based system in the future once the game is available as an online download.

View Postsilicongurnu, on 24 April 2010 - 03:23 PM, said:

Also, really hoping that the widescreen issue can be fixed or I can select to play 1280 res with a widescreen.. thank you

We are looking to see if we can get the engine supports this feature, if we can work out a way we will add it to a patch.

Edwin

#464 Pat

Pat

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:09 AM

Edwin,
Please add me to the list.
I'm on a G4 MDD PPC 10.5.8 (ati 9800xt)
My ishock II works perfect, however . . .

My momo steering wheel has a deadspot even with the in game setting to remove any deadspot (shift + arrow)
I can visually see on the in game calibration screen that my momo racing wheel has no deadspot when I manually turn the wheel as the positioning moves instantly.
As above I removed the ingame setting of a deadspot.

However when playing the game I now get a good 1" of deadspot on each side of the wheel.
This is not from the wheel nor the in game setting.
There must be an issue.

Please help me fix this.
Also, the "input calibrator" program does not open on my G4 mac, is this a intel only program?

#465 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:43 AM

View PostPat, on 08 September 2010 - 12:09 AM, said:

Edwin,
Please add me to the list.
I'm on a G4 MDD PPC 10.5.8 (ati 9800xt)
My ishock II works perfect, however . . .

My momo steering wheel has a deadspot even with the in game setting to remove any deadspot (shift + arrow)
I can visually see on the in game calibration screen that my momo racing wheel has no deadspot when I manually turn the wheel as the positioning moves instantly.
As above I removed the ingame setting of a deadspot.

However when playing the game I now get a good 1" of deadspot on each side of the wheel.
This is not from the wheel nor the in game setting.
There must be an issue.

Please help me fix this.
Also, the "input calibrator" program does not open on my G4 mac, is this a intel only program?

Input Calibrator was given out by support to a few people to try and solve their issue as far as I know it was never shipped with the game. The version of Input Calibrator is slightly different for each game the one we handed out for Colin users is a Universal binary. The one for later games like Race Driver 3 will be Intel only. Although from user feedback we have been given on this issue I don't think input calibrator will fix this specific problem you have as it is in the game engine and is not down to wheel calibration data.

We know about the dead spot on certain wheels in newer OS's and we have it down as something we need to investigate (and fix) for a patch however as this is an old game now we need to find the time to patch it while also working on the new up coming games. I do know the wheel support was never quite as sharp as the pad due to the game being originally designed for the PS2 hardware so the pad support had the most development time.

Edwin

#466 Pat

Pat

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:23 AM

View Postedddeduck, on 08 September 2010 - 02:43 AM, said:

Input Calibrator was given out by support to a few people to try and solve their issue as far as I know it was never shipped with the game. The version of Input Calibrator is slightly different for each game the one we handed out for Colin users is a Universal binary.
Edwin

Thanks for the reply, I found 2 links in this thread to the input calibrator but neither are UB.
Please provide a link to the UB version.

Hopefully the dead spot will be zeroed when a wheel is found present, or an update will be given with the dead spot zeroed
This would be an extremely little change in the code and require no time but approval :)

I have the momo racing which is on the approved list for this game.
You mention some wheel have the dead spot, are there any wheels that don't?
If so which ones?

Forgot to mention: the feedback options are not present when my iShock II is connected (only with the wheel)
Yet my iShock II is on the list of supported controls also. (G4 mdd / OS X 1.5.8)

Thank you.

#467 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:21 AM

View PostPat, on 08 September 2010 - 10:23 AM, said:

Thanks for the reply, I found 2 links in this thread to the input calibrator but neither are UB.
Please provide a link to the UB version.

As I tried to say in the last post

from user feedback we have been given on this issue I don't think input calibrator will fix this specific problem you have as it is in the game engine and is not down to wheel calibration data.

I am sure we could dig it out but as we have given it to people before and come to the conclusion it does not fix the deadzone issue it won't help your situation.

Hopefully the dead spot will be zeroed when a wheel is found present, or an update will be given with the dead spot zeroed
This would be an extremely little change in the code and require no time but approval :)

Sadly it's not as easy as all that, first the code is quite a few years old so you have a few years of new OS and XCode versions to deal with, it is guaranteed not to compile first time. Secondly you need to work out how the deadspot happens it could be in many areas of the code debugging and tracking it down is more than just a few minutes, as it is not 100% on all machines and OS combinations it might be tricky to catch all cases. Finally once you have made any changes and a new application it needs to have a full QA cycle fixing one bug does not mean that others will not appear due to the new OS XCode etc... The game is also universal which if the patch is also PPC and Intel will double the amount of testing required.

We will be patching the game at some stage but I want to explain a little why this is not a quick fix we can get sorted on a single Friday afternoon :)

I have the momo racing which is on the approved list for this game.
You mention some wheel have the dead spot, are there any wheels that don't?
If so which ones?

Forgot to mention: the feedback options are not present when my iShock II is connected (only with the wheel)
Yet my iShock II is on the list of supported controls also. (G4 mdd / OS X 1.5.8)

Thank you.

The iShock 2 is supported but the force feedback is provided with third party drivers if they are not correctly activating could be the cause of the problem there. The issue of wheels I don't know one that will work perfectly on all hardware and OS combinations as this issue is not a 100% issue across Mac hardware / OS.

Thanks,

Edwin

#468 Pat

Pat

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:22 AM

View Postedddeduck, on 16 September 2010 - 02:21 AM, said:

We will be patching the game at some stage but I want to explain a little why this is not a quick fix we can get sorted on a single Friday afternoon :)

Great news!

#469 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3296 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:37 PM

This has got to be a record. 467 replies, and this thread still looks on topic
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#470 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:46 PM

Aw, jeez! You just ruined, Snake. You happy now? ;)
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#471 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3296 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:55 PM

View PostMister Mumbles, on 16 March 2011 - 12:46 PM, said:

Aw, jeez! You just ruined, Snake. You happy now? ;)

I plan to not only derail every thread on here, but also every train that carries illegal immigrants into the website
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#472 Pat

Pat

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:44 PM

View Postedddeduck, on 16 September 2010 - 02:21 AM, said:

So is the patch still a work in progress or no longer on the list.
I'd really like to play this game without a dead spot on my momo wheel as per the previous post issues
Please let us all know

#473 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:43 AM

View PostPat, on 31 December 2011 - 03:44 PM, said:

So is the patch still a work in progress or no longer on the list.
I'd really like to play this game without a dead spot on my momo wheel as per the previous post issues
Please let us all know

This patch has slid down our priorities since I last posted as the title is no longer allowed to be sold (on any platform) due to in game licensing expiring.

Although we have not cancelled a patch considering the number of other titles (and patches) we have in development that will effect more users in a positive manner I would say a patch for Colin at this stage is unlikely.

Edwin

#474 Pat

Pat

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:14 AM

View Postedddeduck, on 03 January 2012 - 07:43 AM, said:

This patch has slid down our priorities since I last posted as the title is no longer allowed to be sold (on any platform) due to in game licensing expiring.

Although we have not cancelled a patch considering the number of other titles (and patches) we have in development that will effect more users in a positive manner I would say a patch for Colin at this stage is unlikely.

Edwin

Ok, and it makes the game usesless with a racing wheel as the dead point issue per the previous posts.
Too bad, would have been awesome to play without having the dead space in the wheel

#475 Pat

Pat

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:00 AM

So what wheel works without a dead spot?
Please post a model if it's been user proven.
Thanks!

For the record:
My logitech force feedback momo racing wheel does have the dead spot issue.

#476 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:13 AM

View PostPat, on 23 January 2012 - 03:00 AM, said:

So what wheel works without a dead spot?
Please post a model if it's been user proven.
Thanks!

For the record:
My logitech force feedback momo racing wheel does have the dead spot issue.

I honestly don't know what Lion / Colin machines don't have any deadspot issues. I know it was never the best with a wheel on the PC or Mac as the game was designed for a gamepad first and for most. However with the list of new driving games since Colin McRae Rally Mac my memories of back then are mixed up with two or three other racing games in the inter meaning 5 years. :)

Edwin

#477 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

SiniScope Productions Inc

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:13 AM

View Postedddeduck, on 23 January 2012 - 05:13 AM, said:

I honestly don't know what Lion / Colin machines don't have any deadspot issues. I know it was never the best with a wheel on the PC or Mac as the game was designed for a gamepad first and for most. However with the list of new driving games since Colin McRae Rally Mac my memories of back then are mixed up with two or three other racing games in the inter meaning 5 years. :)

Edwin
Colin McRae Rally Mac Wheel tests under Lion...

1. Logitech Momo - Has Deadspot
2. Logitech Driving Force - Has Deadspot
3. Logitech Driving Force GT - Has Deadspot
4. Logitech G27 - Has Deadspot (seems a bit less than the other 3 Logitech wheels)
5. Thrustmaster F430 - Has Deadspot
6. Thrustmaster Ferrari GT - Has Deadspot

These are the only ones I have tested, but I would question whether or not there are any wheels that do not have the poor handling and bad FFB. Maybe there are some older wheels that work better?

It is a shame that the Logitech wheels have the deadspot as they are the only wheels with FFB (remember, if you are running Lion, you have to re-install the Logitech FFB kext in order to have FFB. You can find the instructions and downloads on my site in the "Support" section.)
My Badge Of Honor - Single Father of Three
Dedicated to My Mother, Patricia Lee Frabotta 1947-2009
Official Auto Sport Driving Website

#478 Pat

Pat

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:30 AM

Its not the logitech wheels that have the dead spot (other games work perfect) its Colin Mc Rae Racing that has the issue built in.

#479 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:55 AM

View PostPat, on 23 January 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

Its not the logitech wheels that have the dead spot (other games work perfect) its Colin Mc Rae Racing that has the issue built in.

If only it was that simple Pat :) It is not just the game as this issue was not a prevalent when the game launched with 10.2. (I think... it was a long time ago). I am sure Feral (or Codemasters) would have noticed before the game was launched if it was something as huge as you are seeing now so it is likely more than just than just the game code. I know other games work fine as Ford Racing 2, Race Driver 3 and Dirt 2 all work without the deadspot problem so the game code does have something to do with it but I doubt it is the only factor.

I think the summary is the game is 5+ years old and is no longer available to buy so things can slowly stop working as well as they used to. I know wheels were never as perfect on Colin compared to the gamepads due to how it was made (this effects both PC and Mac but being honest maybe more on the Mac) but saying "its Colin Mc Rae Racing that has the issue built in" is a bit harsh as you are claiming we deliberately built in the dead zone to annoy people or something!  :unsure:

Yes it would be great if we patched it and yes in a perfect world with unlimited resources we would have patched it before now. I really wish that was not the case as I like being able to post in these forums about how we always fix problems no matter what but from time to time something proves to be not fixable due to various reasons, Colin because we cannot sell it anymore so it is hard to get a few weeks of programmer time to patch the game with our new libraries and fix the wheel issue if we cannot sell the game. In fact I don't know even if we could release a patch even if we wanted to so in the end it is better to spend the time making new games or patching more urgent issues instead.

On the whole I think we have had a good reputation over the years for talking to everyone in the forums (I used to be a poster before I joined Feral), patching games and solving problems in support but I understand it is a little frustrating when something that is you care about but is not that popular a request does not get patched due to resource limitations.

Yours truly,

Edwin

#480 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

SiniScope Productions Inc

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:14 PM

View PostPat, on 23 January 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

I am not implying that the Logitech wheels have a deadspot issue with them in the hardware that shows up in all Mac games. This thread is about CMRM and that is what I was speaking of. Sorry about the confusion!  :blush: I developed my own game, granted it is no AAA title, but I know for a fact that all of the wheels I listed in my post above DO NOT have a deadspot in my game. They work as they should. I was simply stating this for Colin McRae Rally Mac. The Logitech wheels work flawlessly with Dirt 2 and most other recent memory games even for the Mac. I still play Nascar 2003 on one of my PPC Macs with a Logitech Driving Force GT and it is almost perfect. My Momo is still used for other Mac racers like Redline. Colin McRae Rally Mac is one of the exceptions here. Again, I did not mean that the wheels themselves have a deadspot on every Mac game.

Now I will say that the Momo had its own problems with calibration and centering during gameplay. Before almost every race, you have to rotate the wheel all the way left and right to center it properly. But I still love the wheel. It works with mac perfectly right out of the box. All the buttons and sequential shifter work great. The other wheels do not fully work on Mac. Some buttons and shifters do not work along with a few problems with the 900 degrees of rotation. Hopefully soon I can start testing the Fanatec wheels.
My Badge Of Honor - Single Father of Three
Dedicated to My Mother, Patricia Lee Frabotta 1947-2009
Official Auto Sport Driving Website