#21 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:18 AM

View Postsilicongurnu, on February 7th 2006, 05:12 AM, said:

Will Colin McRae Racing 2005 for Mac be using the Starforce protection system like on the PC side?

Thx

Strange question, just out of interest why do you want to know?

Edwin

#22 Civic

Civic

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:50 AM

View Postedddeduck, on February 7th 2006, 07:18 AM, said:

Strange question, just out of interest why do you want to know?

Edwin
He's probably just concerned about piracy and it hurting the Mac game sales, which results in less money for the Mac gaming companies and therefore even less games for us Mac gamers, particularly of Colin McRae Rally '05 in this case.

;)

#23 Gerwin

Gerwin

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 04:36 PM

View PostCivic, on February 7th 2006, 01:50 PM, said:

He's probably just concerned about piracy and it hurting the Mac game sales, which results in less money for the Mac gaming companies and therefore even less games for us Mac gamers, particularly of Colin McRae Rally '05 in this case.

;)
I think he wants to know because on PC's, Starforce is a major annoyance. If an equivalent for OSX would appear, it would be something like a kernel extension that would slowdown your computer and make it unstable, not to mention containing a possible rootkit like Sonys copy protection.  I think it's a good question. Nothing like it has yet to appear for OSX, but if it did, I'd avoid it like the plague.

#24 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 08:39 PM

View PostGerwin, on February 8th 2006, 05:36 PM, said:

I think he wants to know because on PC's, Starforce is a major annoyance. If an equivalent for OSX would appear, it would be something like a kernel extension that would slowdown your computer and make it unstable, not to mention containing a possible rootkit like Sonys copy protection.  I think it's a good question. Nothing like it has yet to appear for OSX, but if it did, I'd avoid it like the plague.

Starforce system? Is that one of Darth Vador's secret plans?

#25 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:34 AM

View PostGerwin, on February 8th 2006, 03:36 PM, said:

Firstly....

The Mac version will not have Starforce as it does not exist on the Mac.

Secondly....

This is how StarForce works...

Starforce has 3 levels.
1: disc validation (like securom)
2: code hooks that check via disc validation at certain triggers used by the software
3: active online authorisation
most use number 2

Starforce uses code hooks (an infinite amount really) that can trigger the validation check, that cracking a starforce game, while possible, takes ages. Some people may manage to by pass it's protection but as soon as another patch or downloaded conect comes out they have to restart the process.

Due to hear say on messageboards around the internet people have come to the conclusion that starforce is spyware it slows down your pc this is totaly false and a common misconception.

Starforce is a driver, it uses minimal amount of your processing power like any driver on your pc Starforce is neither a virus or spyware it doesn't call home.

Starforce uses a process while you play called validation triggers. What this does the publisher or Starforce themselfs will input a trigger this can be anything from opening a door to killing a certain NCP there is an infinate number. - This works by the Publisher or Starforce inserting triggers on events in the game, be it opening a door or killing NPC's. When you set off a trigger it will check for validation, even if pirates get a few they still have to go through the entire game and check and re-check otherwise the game crashes.

If this system appeared on the Mac it would not be a ".kext" or kernal extension as there is no need for one, it would just check the CD and other hardware related checks. Starforce does not exist on the Mac so this point is moot but I thought I would give you a bit of background on what exactly Starforce does do.

I know people have had issues with Starforce but this have mostly been either compatibility issues with motherboard CD drive combinations (not surprising if you think about the amount of motherboards and CD drives), or because they have image mounting software.

I agree that it is not the best solution and it appears to have some major issues on some machines but in a perfect world I would not see 100+ a day bit-torrent downloading of our games either.

#26 sillek

sillek

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 01:08 PM

Doesn't Feral use "SafeDisc" ?

#27 Guest_Cash68_*

Guest_Cash68_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 07:59 PM

So is it coming out yet?  It's going to be 2007 before we get 2005.

#28 electricdawn

electricdawn

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 08:07 AM

View Postedddeduck, on February 9th 2006, 12:34 PM, said:

I agree that it is not the best solution and it appears to have some major issues on some machines but in a perfect world I would not see 100+ a day bit-torrent downloading of our games either.

While I can understand your interest in protecting your work, all that copy protection really does is annoying us legitimate users. Always has, always will. ANY copy protection scheme will be cracked in due time, so your game will eventually end up on bittorrent or what ever. This doesn't help nobody. The least your legitimate users that will be the ones that get screwed in the end, if some CP-scheme won't run on their computer, because they might have swapped out their DVD-drive for one that is not 100% "compatible".

That's why I'm totally opposed to any copy protection scheme.

And yes, all my games are legit.

v/r, E.

#29 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 01:00 PM

View Postelectricdawn, on February 14th 2006, 09:07 AM, said:

While I can understand your interest in protecting your work, all that copy protection really does is annoying us legitimate users. Always has, always will. ANY copy protection scheme will be cracked in due time, so your game will eventually end up on bittorrent or what ever. This doesn't help nobody. The least your legitimate users that will be the ones that get screwed in the end, if some CP-scheme won't run on their computer, because they might have swapped out their DVD-drive for one that is not 100% "compatible".

That's why I'm totally opposed to any copy protection scheme.

And yes, all my games are legit.

v/r, E.

What is annoying? Most mac games use the CD in drive + registration key. While I hate this CD in drive, it is nothing I can't handle.

But other than that as long as publishers have a good support:
- Feral support told me how to play F1 championship on a local network with one CD only
- MacSoft told me where on my computer I could find my Halo registration key (I lost it and wanted to play it on another computer).

I never had any unbareable issues with copy protection. Now I would not accept a Starforce system. Anything that leave a running process on my computer annoys me a lot.

#30 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:25 AM

so whats the latest on the release of colin mcrae 2009 ?
..i meant 2005  :P

Strider
AppleCrypt Mods  (as dead as a Dodo!)

#31 George K.

George K.

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:32 AM

View Poststriderdm1, on February 16th 2006, 05:25 PM, said:

so whats the latest on the release of colin mcrae 2009 ?
..i meant 2005  :P

Strider

Please refer to the Colin McRae Rally website. It says the game will be coming to the Mac in 2006…

…and so, in 2006 it will come to the Mac.

:P

#32 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:35 AM

point taken!  :blush:  I'll look forward to Dec 31st 2006 !

Sarcastic bas*****  ;)

#33 Guest_Cash68_*

Guest_Cash68_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:07 PM

So is the demo out yet, at least?   I've heard that this game looks nice, but the physics are awful.  I'd like to test it before I drop $50 on it.  Maybe need a last minute betat ester?

#34 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:24 PM

View PostCash68, on February 20th 2006, 07:07 PM, said:

So is the demo out yet, at least?   I've heard that this game looks nice, but the physics are awful.  I'd like to test it before I drop $50 on it.  Maybe need a last minute betat ester?

<< I can't wait !!! >>

I have nothing else to say.

#35 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:21 AM

View PostiRolley, on February 21st 2006, 12:24 AM, said:

<< I can't wait !!! >>

I have nothing else to say.

nice1 mate  :happy:

Strider

#36 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:38 AM

View PostCash68, on February 20th 2006, 05:07 PM, said:

So is the demo out yet, at least?

The demo is based off the full retail game if the game has not been ported you cannot release a demo as it uses mostly the same code. Once the game has gone GM the demo can be released but you can understand we cannot release a demo of a game that has not been ported.

View PostCash68, on February 20th 2006, 05:07 PM, said:

I've heard that this game looks nice, but the physics are awful.

Actually the Physics engine was one of the strong points of this title and the whole Colin Series.

IGN, on Colin McRae 2005 Review, said:

Codemasters has finally nailed it. Always a master technician when it comes to physics engines and simulation...

Colin McRae Rally 2005 is a rally simulation, built from the ground up with a superb physics engine, and an attention to detail that's hard to match in almost any racing game.

GameSpy, on Colin McRae 2005 Review, said:

Pros: Stunning graphics and lifelike car models; realistic driving physics and tightly mapped audio design; well-implemented multiplayer model.

#37 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 12:17 PM

View Postedddeduck, on February 23rd 2006, 12:38 PM, said:

Actually the Physics engine was one of the strong points of this title and the whole Colin Series.

Yup, I played it on Xbox and after 5 minutes I was thinking: this is it ! Finally, a game that really feels like you are driving ON the road. Let me explain. In other games I've played, I never got the feel of being on the road, it felt more like the car was flying over the track. The tire friction when turning, the small bump on road (you really feel it when one wheel of the car suddenly got off the track) is so well emulated in Colin Mc Rae Rally that any other racing game after that felt like playing F-Zero on super nintendo.  :lol:

BTW edddeduck could you provide more info on the port? How far along is it? thx.

#38 Civic

Civic

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 12:36 AM

Yeah, me and quite a few other people on GameRanger are dying to have some MP races! :)

#39 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:53 PM

View PostCivic, on February 24th 2006, 06:36 AM, said:

Yeah, me and quite a few other people on GameRanger are dying to have some MP races! :)

I'm dying for either sp or mp. I've not played a game like this since the PSX days, well, except for vrally on the N64 and a couple of the Dreamcast too. But the PSX's Colin game was still best. I wanna play this on the Mac! Eager beaver still  :happy:

cheers, Strider

#40 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 03:31 AM

View PostiRolley, on February 23rd 2006, 11:17 AM, said:

BTW edddeduck could you provide more info on the port? How far along is it? thx.

I don't have any news today but I will post in this thread when we have some juicy morsels for you! ;)