23 replies to this topic

#1 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 28 January 2006 - 07:30 AM

Okay so I got to the dance contest. (I'm beyond it now, but I want to go back and do it.) It tells me to match moves with the chief, and to hit the corresponding move key. So first up he does some sort of hand move, but whatever key I press Stubbs only does one of two moves one he spins around, and the other he does some sort of growling head jerk motion. Either way it just resets back to the chief.

I've hit all the movement and attack keys, and either some don't work, or they trigger the aforementioned moves.

Can anyone offer advice? I really want to do this.

In another thread TBC said he had similar problems. Something along the lines of not all the keys working.

Thanks in advance
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 28 January 2006 - 10:40 AM

I've played through that game 3 times and I've never been able to get the dance buttons to work.  Believe me, I've tried too.  There is no documentation in the manual about what buttons to press.  I'm using the default key setup.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 ozzy

ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 28 January 2006 - 01:00 PM

When I did it the first time it was just WASD (or whatever your forward, strafe left, back, and strafe right keys are)...

#4 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 01:39 PM

Ozzy is right.  Stubbs does not do the same dance moves as Chief Masters, but as long as you hit the proper directional key at the right time, you'll be fine.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 02:11 PM

WASD was tried without success.  I figured the first thing that the up, down, left an right lights on the dance platform corresponded to the forward, back, left and right controls of the keyboard.  I haven't gotten that to work though.  He immediately fails and after a couple shots it tells me I can bail with a right click.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 28 January 2006 - 03:15 PM

Well I'll check it out. It does say to hit key corresponding to the color... or something. I'll have to experiment!
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#7 ozzy

ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 28 January 2006 - 04:51 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on January 28th 2006, 03:11 PM, said:

WASD was tried without success.  I figured the first thing that the up, down, left an right lights on the dance platform corresponded to the forward, back, left and right controls of the keyboard.  I haven't gotten that to work though.  He immediately fails and after a couple shots it tells me I can bail with a right click.

Hmm...that's wierd.  The left right up down thing definitely worked for me.  I remember the timing being a little wierd though, and sometimes I'd miss just due to being a little off with the timing.

#8 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 06:15 PM

I've being playing piano for 15 years so far, and I can definitely say that the second song's moves have to be hit a hair early.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#9 zapranoth

zapranoth

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 06:41 PM

It's definitely WASD.

You had that weird-ass, can't-find-the-gamer-commentary thing going, too, Gary.  You're weird, and so is your computer.  =)
"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard, and floor it.
Floor it.  That's technical talk."   - SRV

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 07:09 PM

Yeah, my guess is that it wasn't tested on a 2.7Ghz Dual G5.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#11 Zab329

Zab329

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 11:46 AM

I looked at stubbs and it looked to me like a thrash em up shoot em up... where you go around killing people... but now ur talkign about dancing? what? did i get the wrong impression?
"So we went to Atari and said, 'Hey, we've got this amazing thing, even built with some of your parts, and what do you think about funding us? Or we'll give it to you. We just want to do it. Pay our salary, we'll come work for you.' And they said, 'No.' So then we went to Hewlett-Packard, and they said, 'Hey, we don't need you. You haven't got through college yet.'" -- Apple Computer Inc. founder Steve Jobs

#12 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 03:30 PM

View PostZab329, on January 29th 2006, 09:46 AM, said:

I looked at stubbs and it looked to me like a thrash em up shoot em up... where you go around killing people... but now ur talkign about dancing? what? did i get the wrong impression?
Stubbs is a misunderstood zombie.  Sure he eats brains, possesses people to shoot their friends, mows scientists down with hoovering sod-o-mobiles, hijacks tanks and turns the cannon back on the citizens of Punchbowl, rips people's arms off, and whizzes in the water supply... but Stubbs is different.  He is sensitive and caring, he is a romantic at heart, and even though there are earthworms jammed into his joints, he can still dance like it's 1959.  He can sing and dance at the same time too.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#13 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:21 PM

Like tBC, I've never gotten that thing to work. Skip it, I sez.

#14 txa1265

txa1265

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:56 AM

Funny ... I just finished as well.  WASD worked fine for me.  I had no problem ... but I was taking a break from Indigo Prophecy, where you need to do *two handed* Simon games ... many of which are much, much faster (and 'touchier') than anything in Stubbs.

Mike
Dopelar effect (n.)  The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Check out my blog.

#15 rgraham666

rgraham666

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:53 PM

Add me to the list of people who can't dance.

But I knew that.

Which I don't mind. If I could skip past the goddamn thing!

I have to 'right click' to skip?

Uhm, there is no 'right click' on standard Mac mice. Even the new Intel ones.

And I've tried 'Command-click' and 'option-click' and 'shift-click' and 'control-click'.

And the escape key and every other verdamnt key on the board.

Nothing. I can force quit though, thank God.

I remember why I stopped being a computer programmer now. It's a good thing I'm too damned old to care whether my games work or not.

Sigh.

#16 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:17 PM

I have nothing to offer that would help you other than to highly recommend buying a 2 button optical mouse with a scroll wheel.  It's really the best way to play games and experience your Mac apps.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#17 bismilah

bismilah

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:58 PM

View Postrgraham666, on October 31st 2006, 01:53 AM, said:

there is one on new Intel macs
the mighty mouse has left and right clicks

#18 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:44 PM

View Postrgraham666, on October 30th 2006, 06:53 PM, said:

Sure there is.  The so-called Mighty Mouse has been standard for quite some time now, and not just on Intel Macs.  Anyway, did you try the secondary attack button, whatever you have that mapped to?  'Cause that's what right click normally is.  (Coincidentally, I just happened to play this yesterday and didn't have any particular difficulty with the dancing until I got to the bonus round...just too many to remember what with all the flashing lights and all...argh....)

--Eric

#19 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:15 AM

I couldn't get the dancing to work the first time I played through -- but the second time it worked fine. I even managed to get through the bonus round with only a couple of mistakes. It works just like tBC said, you watch the four lights on the floor when the chief dances and then hit the WASD keys in the same sequence when it's Stubbs' turn.

#20 rgraham666

rgraham666

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:21 AM

View Postbismilah, on October 30th 2006, 08:58 PM, said:

there is one on new Intel macs
the mighty mouse has left and right clicks

Uhm, you mean those, dunno what you'd call 'em, shapes on the side of the mouse? They sure don't have the feel of buttons. They're awkward as hell to reach. Plus I can't seem to assign them to anything in the settings menu.

I can 'click' on them, by taking my hand off the mouse and squeezing both at the same time. Doesn't do anything in the game though.

Checked the settings. 'R' is my secondary attack key. And it does nothing.

Taking the game back tomorrow. I have far too little money to waste to spend it on a game that the porters couldn't be arsed to transfer properly. I've got better things to do with my time than try to fathom the logic of computer programmers.