Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 04:40 PM

View Postelectricdawn, on January 26th 2006, 04:39 AM, said:

4. Star Trek - Elite Force
Works like a champ. You can crank up all settings and it still runs good. Your mileage might vary though.

5. Star Trek - Elite Force II
See above, although frame rates go down, due to more eye candy. I would definitely recommend to tone down the settings, lest you like stutterfests...

7. Jedi Knight II
Runs as advertised, I have yet to try the "Very High" textures, but other than that, no problem. (Except I forgot how to play this game and got my a** handed to me.) :)
Great! :thumbsup: Keep on testing! :) I've read that CoD runs fine too but have you personally tried it? This means that RTCW should be fine too since it uses Q3 engine and is less demanding than STEF 2. I wonder how well Jedi Knight II and STEF I & II would run with several enemies on the screen at the same time.

#42 Deathlok2001

Deathlok2001

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:16 PM

According to the aspyr website, Quake 4  mac edition should be out sometime in Feb.  

Anyone know if this will be optimized for the intel macs?
All your Peecees are belong to trash

#43 electricdawn

electricdawn

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 02:31 PM

Guys and Gals, tried some more stuff...

1. KotOR revisited:
Just loaded up KotOR again with some of my save games. Seems I was a bit too excited about it's playability. Expect to encounter heavy stuttering on everywhere but the least demanding levels. It is kinda playable, but not really good. Hopefully a Universal binary comes out soon. BTW, what is it with KotOR 2? Any chance we see that coming?...just askin' :)

2. Rainbow Six 3:
Works, but has also some framerate issues. This is due to Rosetta, not the graphics card which performs admirably. You can set the graphic settings to pretty much anything you like, the gameplay doesn't change much. So it is playable, but kinda stuttery.

3. Close Combat : First To Fight:
Works fairly well, considering how graphics intensive it is. I cranked the settings up high and it was still playable. No high framerates, mind you. But since this is not too hectic, it is quite enjoyable.

I check out some more stuff, like NWN in the next edition of...

My Intel iMac Experience! (I think this is called thread hijacking..or isn't it?) :)

Greetz, E.

#44 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 02:44 PM

View Postelectricdawn, on January 28th 2006, 05:31 AM, said:

My Intel iMac Experience! (I think this is called thread hijacking..or isn't it?) :)
Hijacking indeed  :lol:

#45 yomoooo

yomoooo

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 06:00 PM

Just wondered... X-Plane is supposed to run natively in X86. Anybody bother to try?

You can always download the demo at www.x-plane.com

#46 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 28 January 2006 - 08:37 AM

Not with the recent 8.32 update. But something ahppened because Austin managed to get it to load 25% faster (really) and the frame rates shot through the roof on my iMac (G5). Seriusly, about a 60% frame rate improevement.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#47 yomoooo

yomoooo

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 05:24 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on January 28th 2006, 03:37 PM, said:

Not with the recent 8.32 update. But something ahppened because Austin managed to get it to load 25% faster (really) and the frame rates shot through the roof on my iMac (G5). Seriusly, about a 60% frame rate improevement.
Wow. :)

#48 macgeek2005

macgeek2005

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 05:43 PM

So ALL of these games are running under rosetta at the moment right? After they have universal binarys they'll all run perfectly right? The only reason this is an issue at all, is because people are wondering what games play like under rosetta.

Am I correct?

#49 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 05:57 PM

View Postmacgeek2005, on January 28th 2006, 05:43 PM, said:

After they have universal binarys they'll all run perfectly right?

KOTOR and Rainbow Six 3 are some of the less likely games to be ported. NWN would be done before KOTOR, probably, and that's a long shot.

#50 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 08:13 PM

View Postbobbob, on January 28th 2006, 06:57 PM, said:

KOTOR and Rainbow Six 3 are some of the less likely games to be ported. NWN would be done before KOTOR, probably, and that's a long shot.

I thought Aspyr had mentioned KOTOR as one of the likely candidates?

--Eric

#51 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 01:18 AM

View PostEric5h5, on January 28th 2006, 08:13 PM, said:

I thought Aspyr had mentioned KOTOR as one of the likely candidates?

You're right, I thought it was a MacSoft game and had a guess at what their priorities are. It just might be up there.

#52 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2242 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 02:38 AM

I wonder if Bioware will ever port Neverwinter Nights to macintels?  :unsure:
What is a man?

#53 electricdawn

electricdawn

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 06:59 AM

View PostIchigo27, on January 29th 2006, 09:38 AM, said:

I wonder if Bioware will ever port Neverwinter Nights to macintels?  :unsure:

Don't bother, it works pretty well under Rosetta. I just tried it yesterday with everything maxed out. (No heavy fighting though). Oh my, does it look old though after playing WoW for a while.

BTW, just wanted to mention that my iMac has 1GB of RAM. If you want to buy a new Mac, don't get it with less than a 1GB, OS X and the games will thank you. Better yet, if you can afford it, get it with 2GB. I'm currently broke right now, so that will have to wait.  :happy:

@MacGeek2005
Not all games will be ported to Universal Binary (especially not the older ones). But most of the older games work just fine already. But don't expect super high frame rates from any newer games or CPU-bound games like KotOR.

Greetz, E.

#54 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 07:23 AM

Has anyone tested RTCW yet? :unsure:

#55 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:54 AM

View Postelectricdawn, on January 25th 2006, 01:39 PM, said:

Might as well add my list to this report. Received my Intel iMac today (the 17" model), and installed a few games to see how it would fare. Ok, here goes...
1. Aliens vs. Predator
Runs very good, but the mouse cursor shows on screen. Crashed to desktop when I died and clicked the mouse button. Other than that, no problems.

Now that's funny! :D

-Hunt'n

#56 Ragashingo

Ragashingo

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:09 PM

Could someone with an Intel Mac try EV: Nova? It does so many odd things I'm wondering how well it will work under Rosetta...

#57 electricdawn

electricdawn

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:53 PM

Folks,

just tried AvP II again, and it actually worked! And very fast and fluently as well. I had everything maxed out and resolution was set to the full native resolution of the 17" display (1440x900). Very impressive. Don't ask me what I did to get it running...I was looking at the crash log of AvP II, to possibly get an insight of what went wrong. Then, with the Console program still running, I started AvP II to get a fresh log. Instead of hanging up, it just went straight through and worked!

Just thought I let you know.

Greetz, E.

#58 Beamup

Beamup

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 03:30 PM

View PostRagashingo, on February 1st 2006, 10:09 PM, said:

Could someone with an Intel Mac try EV: Nova? It does so many odd things I'm wondering how well it will work under Rosetta...
Started it up, made a new pilot, and ran a couple missions.  It works, but wouldn't use my external speakers (had to unplug them to get sound), and was choppy.

I'd rate it as "doesn't work great, but playable."
Questions, comments, arguments, refutations, criticisms, and/or sea stories?

#59 Ragashingo

Ragashingo

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 03:53 PM

View PostBeamup, on February 7th 2006, 03:30 PM, said:

Started it up, made a new pilot, and ran a couple missions.  It works, but wouldn't use my external speakers (had to unplug them to get sound), and was choppy.

I'd rate it as "doesn't work great, but playable."

#60 macheath9

macheath9

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 07:12 AM

I went from a g4 imac to a brand new spankin imac with everything max
These are the games i tried

Medal of honor and Spearhead-1st time i put the disk in just spit it out, second attemp it loaded and ran fine.
not a single crash, actually in spearhead i can say my fps tripled or quadrupled(wow). i could never finish spearhead the game because it was just too choppy, now i can't finish it because i suck....lol
multiplayer was perfect, in both

Massive assault- the game actually runs smooth and fast, i mean very fast, even with the settings high. i didn't know it had such detail till now. unfortunatly the game will crash at some point 40%- 50% of the time.

Age of mythology- The game runs good in medium settings, but once they're high it will crash(30%-40%). otherwise it does run smoother than before.

hope this helped