60 replies to this topic

#21 MacMasta

MacMasta

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:51 AM

Would anyone care to test Medal of Honor Allied Assault? (if it can run on the new imac)

#22 atari

atari

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:09 AM

Glad you like your new Mac.
Are they already available in US bricks and mortar stores?
Still waiting for shipping confirmation of my unit round here...doh!
27 inch quad beastie ordered :)

#23 Beamup

Beamup

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 06:06 AM

Our local (Boston) Apple Store expects to have them out tonight or tomorrow, last time I asked.
Questions, comments, arguments, refutations, criticisms, and/or sea stories?

#24 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 07:35 AM

View Postmrimac00, on January 17th 2006, 01:58 AM, said:

I don't plan on trying AA because trying UT2K4 gives me little hope for AA.

Generals... Okay, it ran. No glitches. But, I thought the game was faster than what I was seeing. It looked faster than it was on my iMac G4, but that's about it. How about I'll say it's inconclusive.

bear in mind that im running generals on a 800Mhz, with a Gf2... now that is LOW! haha... anything will be an improvement.

i realised after I posted about AA, that the Unreal engines have always been very CPU intensive... so thatd be the main reason for any performance hit going on...

View Postmrimac00, on January 17th 2006, 01:58 AM, said:

BF1942 ran well, although sub-30 FPS. Like Halo and CoD performance-wise in-game.

by sub-30FPS, do you mean what you see? or what the computer tells you via a Frame Rate counter.

overall though, I think this is pretty encouraging.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#25 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:36 PM

This is good news. I have a wish list too: RTCW, Star Trek: Elite Force I & II, Star Wars: Jedi Outcast and Red Faction. Would anyone be kind enough to test those? Thanks!  :)

#26 electricdawn

electricdawn

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 04:09 AM

View PostHomy, on January 18th 2006, 11:36 PM, said:

This is good news. I have a wish list too: RTCW, Star Trek: Elite Force I & II, Star Wars: Jedi Outcast and Red Faction. Would anyone be kind enough to test those? Thanks!  :)

This is indeed good news. As soon as I have my new iMac, I will test EF 1 and 2, as well as SW: JO and JA.

Greetz, E.

#27 Homy

Homy

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 11:48 AM

View Postelectricdawn, on January 22nd 2006, 07:09 PM, said:

This is indeed good news. As soon as I have my new iMac, I will test EF 1 and 2, as well as SW: JO and JA.

Greetz, E.
Great, thanks!  :) Are you getting the 17" or 20"?

#28 electricdawn

electricdawn

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 02:40 PM

View PostHomy, on January 22nd 2006, 06:48 PM, said:

Great, thanks!  :) Are you getting the 17" or 20"?

I'm getting the 17". No money available for anything else, I guess.. :)

Greetz, E.

#29 yomoooo

yomoooo

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 07:34 AM

Anybody care to try Splinter Cell? Pleeeaase? ;)

#30 electricdawn

electricdawn

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 02:35 PM

View Postyomoooo, on January 24th 2006, 02:34 PM, said:

Can do...hopefully tomorrow. :)

-E

#31 yomoooo

yomoooo

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:19 PM

thanks!

#32 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:55 PM

View Postyomoooo, on January 24th 2006, 07:34 AM, said:

NO! I want a port of katamari damacy.  :angry:
What is a man?

#33 dogbyke

dogbyke

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 07:35 PM

View PostMookiteo, on January 16th 2006, 03:31 PM, said:

I'd like to add to that list, Homeworld 2.  Provided you have this title.

I played a fair amount of this game in a marathon session one day (because I thought it was completely brilliant); however once I got to some of the later levels, I really wanted to play it smoother and with all (or at least more) of its visual glory.  I currently have a 800MHz Lamp iMac with GF2 so you might understand why I have decided to wait for some new hardware before booting the game back up.  I have an intel iMac 20" on the way so I am crossing my fingers it can handle this title better.  Also, any additional gaming details you can offer would be brilliant.

A post on VersionTracker today said Homeworld 2 was working on the Intel iMac. Good news!! How well it doesn't say.

#34 electricdawn

electricdawn

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 01:39 PM

Might as well add my list to this report. Received my Intel iMac today (the 17" model), and installed a few games to see how it would fare. Ok, here goes...

1. Aliens vs. Predator
Runs very good, but the mouse cursor shows on screen. Crashed to desktop when I died and clicked the mouse button. Other than that, no problems.

2. Aliens vs. Predator 2
As was to be expected with this troublesome software, it wouldn't even launch, and got stuck somehow trying to read the CD. My guess is, that it hiccuped on the copy protection scheme. Figures... :)

3. Diablo II
Totally unexpected for me, this game wouldn't run in OpenGL mode, but it does work fine with software rendering.

4. Star Trek - Elite Force
Works like a champ. You can crank up all settings and it still runs good. Your mileage might vary though.

5. Star Trek - Elite Force II
See above, although frame rates go down, due to more eye candy. I would definitely recommend to tone down the settings, lest you like stutterfests...

6. Ghost Recon
Very nice, cranked up all the settings and it still runs good. Again, for 120 fps-fans, your mileage...etc.etc.

7. Jedi Knight II
Runs as advertised, I have yet to try the "Very High" textures, but other than that, no problem. (Except I forgot how to play this game and got my a** handed to me.) :)

8. Jedi Academy
Same as above, a little more demanding, but still very good.

9. Knights of the Old Republic
Unbelievable as it is, but it works very well! I set most settings to max (except Anti-Aliasing) and it worked. As with all the games I tried, this wasn't an extensive test (Dantoine!), but so far it looks good. But I'm still looking forward to a Universal Binary on this one. ;)

10. No One Lives Forever 2
Works like a champ...yada, yada. No, really. :) Most settings maxed and it still performs fairly well.

11. Splinter Cell
It did actually work! Unbelievable. High settings of course. The frame rates are nothing to brag about of course, but it is still very playable. Since this is not a hectic Quake 3 type shooter, it seems pretty acceptable.

12. World of Warcraft
I was very surprised when I tested it. I cranked every setting up to the max (except AA), and it worked very well. Of course it stuttered quite frequently and bad in populated areas, but it was playable. Thanx to Blizzard, we will be hopefully seeing the Universal Binary very soon.

Ok, that is it. So far I've been very impressed by Rosetta. Seems like it works as advertised and better! Except for WoW, I didn't test the games extensively, but it should give you some good ball park figure on how your games would run. I will test more games, like NWN, Rainbow Six 3 and others. Hold tight to your seats, there is more to come!

(BattleCat, move this to any forum you would think this is more appropriate for)

Greetz, E.

#35 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:26 PM

Man, I'm surprised at how many games run at acceptable levels. Just watch the game companies go and pull the rug from us PPC users and go intel only sooner rather than later.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#36 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:56 AM

View Postelectricdawn, on January 25th 2006, 11:39 AM, said:

(BattleCat, move this to any forum you would think this is more appropriate for)
How about in this thread?  Seems appropriate.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#37 macgeek2005

macgeek2005

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:50 AM

I'm a little confused about Rosetta.

If I get a new Intel Mac, and I pop in Knights of the Old Republic, will it just open, and I won't even know that it did it under rosetta? Will some thing that says "Rosetta" pop up just before the game opens? Or will it seem just like normal?

#38 atari

atari

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:06 AM

View Postmacgeek2005, on January 26th 2006, 04:50 PM, said:

If I get a new Intel Mac, and I pop in Knights of the Old Republic, will it just open, and I won't even know that it did it under rosetta? Will some thing that says "Rosetta" pop up just before the game opens? Or will it seem just like normal?

No warnings,it will just work (or not),albeit somewhat slower.

Ah,and I just got mine :)
Once I get my greedy hands on some RAM I will get down to some serious testing.
27 inch quad beastie ordered :)

#39 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 January 2006 - 12:16 PM

View Postmacgeek2005, on January 26th 2006, 10:50 AM, said:

As Atari said, if it works properly you won't notice anything other than speed issues. I just wanted to mention that this does NOT apply to games that require Mac Classic. Nothing that requires Classic will run on an Intel Mac.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#40 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 12:55 PM

the reason for the good running of many games is the GPU. I would only really worry about CPU intensive games. UT based games in particular. Though Splinter Cell is a nice surprise.

I dont see why game companies will abandon PPC users when PPC games run quite well on intel... That makes no sense at all... If games needed to be heavily optimised to run at acceptable performance levels on both processors, then fine, but apples compiling thingy adapts altivec code to SSE3 quite well apparently... so its not as much of an issue. I expect that theyll drop PPC support in 2-3 years, just like the rest of the world.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor