mrimac00

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:51 PM

As posted on Emuscene and MacRumors:

With that, my testing concludes.

Overall, the machine runs completely well and smoothly compared to my iMac G4. Everything is responsive. Safari feels like IE on a PC now. It's fast and smooth.

Halo and Rainbow Six surprised me. Looks like games could run decently without being Intel-optimized, although upon checking the Get Info on both apps, Halo does not have a PowerPC or Universal tag in parentheses after its name, but Rainbow Six says "Rainbow Six (PowerPC)." Odd... [Halo was running well with all settings at their highest. Some jerky moments here and there, but I think that's Rosetta's fault. Rainbow Six was getting 20 FPS steadily, but I think the counter is wrong because it moved pretty smoothly for me]

Anyhow, graphics-intesive apps seem to be no problem, although Intel-ready apps will probably make these games fly!

Emulators need some Intel-ready binaries. SNES9X and Mupen are my playable emulators. I'll be waiting for updates, RB!  

H.264 is not supported by the Radeon X1600's hardware just yet. Apple will probably have drivers ready. Until then, H.264 will stay a processor task and intensive. [Looking again, it looks like H.264 might be supported. That latest episode of Red vs. Blue just isn't working correctly, I think]

Love my iMac.  

If you have any special requests, post away.

#2 robo74

robo74

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:54 PM

View Postmrimac00, on January 16th 2006, 01:51 PM, said:

Safari feels like IE on a PC now. It's fast and smooth.

I hope thats minus the spyware  :lol:

Rob

#3 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 02:08 PM

mrimac00 said:

That latest episode of Red vs. Blue just isn't working correctly, I think

It didn't work correctly on my iMac G5 in Quicktime, so it is probably a Quicktime issue, not a hardware issue.

It worked perfectly in MPlayer.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#4 jeffbax

jeffbax

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 03:17 PM

Please test older titles... like CPU intensive Age of Empires II, Diablo 2, Starcraft or 3D games like Warcraft 3, Age of Mythology

I'm about to buy a 20" Intel iMac (my second Mac in my life and this year!) and just wondering about games that might not get universal binaries.

#5 Mookiteo

Mookiteo

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 03:31 PM

View Postjeffbax, on January 16th 2006, 02:17 PM, said:

Please test older titles... like CPU intensive Age of Empires II, Diablo 2, Starcraft or 3D games like Warcraft 3, Age of Mythology

I'd like to add to that list, Homeworld 2.  Provided you have this title.

I played a fair amount of this game in a marathon session one day (because I thought it was completely brilliant); however once I got to some of the later levels, I really wanted to play it smoother and with all (or at least more) of its visual glory.  I currently have a 800MHz Lamp iMac with GF2 so you might understand why I have decided to wait for some new hardware before booting the game back up.  I have an intel iMac 20" on the way so I am crossing my fingers it can handle this title better.  Also, any additional gaming details you can offer would be brilliant.

#6 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 03:41 PM

could you please test CoD and CoD united offensive, DOOM 3, UT2k4, and WoW.

i got a MacBook Pro on the way (omg that name sounds stupid)

#7 mrimac00

mrimac00

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:34 PM

View Postjeffbax, on January 16th 2006, 04:17 PM, said:

I'm about to buy a 20" Intel iMac (my second Mac in my life and this year!) and just wondering about games that might not get universal binaries.

View PostLemon Lime, on January 16th 2006, 04:41 PM, said:

could you please test CoD and CoD united offensive, DOOM 3, UT2k4, and WoW.

i got a MacBook Pro on the way (omg that name sounds stupid)

Okay, fellas... I can try AoM and AoEII for sure. I'll do a WarCraft 3 demo. Don't feel like finding the CD to install it. I'll need to download CoD and UT2K4 demos. Doom 3 is going to get a patch soon, so I'll wait for it (assuming a demo is released).

#8 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:44 PM

View Postmrimac00, on January 16th 2006, 02:34 PM, said:

Okay, fellas... I can try AoM and AoEII for sure. I'll do a WarCraft 3 demo. Don't feel like finding the CD to install it. I'll need to download CoD and UT2K4 demos. Doom 3 is going to get a patch soon, so I'll wait for it (assuming a demo is released).

Thanks  :D

#9 mrimac00

mrimac00

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 05:18 PM

I'll update this once I test the rest of the games...

- AoEII: No problems found. Ran smoothly. Feels like it takes a little longer to get through the intro screens.
- AoM: No problems. Runs smoothly thanks to its GPU-reliance.
- WarCraft3: Just like AoM.
- CoD: Does funny things while loading. Cursor comes to a crawl on load. In-game, speed achieved is nearly-full speed. Stuttering for AI to load and game to save. I just think the X1600 is underperforming at times when not much is happening.
- UT2K4: Bad news... Loading takes a bit. Tried Onslaught: 5-8 FPS according to the counter, but I think it's closer to 20 FPS because my iMac G4 was getting around that for Onslaught and it looked much worse.

[Downloading C&C:G demo]

As far as CPU-intensive gaming goes, I will say I ran SNES9X, Nestopia, and SixtyForce (all emulators). SNES9X ran at 40+ FPS. Nestopia was a steady 30 FPS. SixtyForce was a steady 2 FPS. PCSX was also about 30 FPS. Mupen64 went Universal Binary recently, therefore ran nearly fullspeed.

#10 tthiel

tthiel

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 05:47 PM

COD and UO run fine.

#11 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 06:53 PM

This is great news. I guess it's not as bad as people feared. Anybody try Photoshop CS2, Illustrator CS2, Flash 8, Dreamweaver 8, and Fireworks 8? These are more imporant to me. :happy:

#12 tthiel

tthiel

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 06:54 PM

All of those work too.  A little slow...

#13 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 06:56 PM

excellent news here. thanks for taking the time to do this mrimac.

any chance of you trying out Battlefield 1942? theres a single player demo about somewhere. I think on macupdate.com

and you could give america's army a go... cos its free (unless youve got a download limit like me :( )

and finally, how did the generals demo play?

thanks again for taking the time.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#14 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:06 PM

View PostTomatocow, on January 16th 2006, 06:53 PM, said:

This is great news. I guess it's not as bad as people feared. Anybody try Photoshop CS2, Illustrator CS2, Flash 8, Dreamweaver 8, and Fireworks 8? These are more imporant to me. :happy:

And Unity widgets.
What is a man?

#15 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:16 PM

View Posttthiel, on January 17th 2006, 09:54 AM, said:

All of those work too.  A little slow...

A little slow on your iMac, so I guess it'll be slightly slower still on the MacBook Pro. Hmm, ok thanks.

#16 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:22 PM

Anyone care to try Knights of the Old Republic?
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#17 mrimac00

mrimac00

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:58 PM

View Postteflon, on January 16th 2006, 07:56 PM, said:

excellent news here. thanks for taking the time to do this mrimac.

any chance of you trying out Battlefield 1942? theres a single player demo about somewhere. I think on macupdate.com

and you could give america's army a go... cos its free (unless youve got a download limit like me :( )

and finally, how did the generals demo play?

thanks again for taking the time.

I'll give 1942 a try assuming it downloads quickly enough.

I don't plan on trying AA because trying UT2K4 gives me little hope for AA.

Generals... Okay, it ran. No glitches. But, I thought the game was faster than what I was seeing. It looked faster than it was on my iMac G4, but that's about it. How about I'll say it's inconclusive.

#18 tthiel

tthiel

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:07 PM

I think Knights is undergoing conversion to a Universal binary now.  Read it soemwhere.  Even though Halo and COD ran better than expected I doubt I will be playing them or anything even remotely graphics intensive on this machine unitl they are converted to universal binaries.  Good thing I have a PC.

#19 mrimac00

mrimac00

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 09:08 PM

BF1942 ran well, although sub-30 FPS. Like Halo and CoD performance-wise in-game.

Still, I'm quite thoroughly surprised. I'll still wait for Universal Binaries since I have a Mac that has quite the potential for gaming.

#20 DoctorGonzo

DoctorGonzo

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:48 PM

If you happen to have a copy of Sim City 4 laying around, I'd love to hear how it plays.