#1 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 January 2006 - 03:43 PM

With all new code, that changes a butt-load of stuff, there will be odd things cropping up. Please bear with us as we tackle each one in turn to get rid of them all.

The skins system was updated quite a bit from the older version, and as such added a bunch of things that did not exist before. Colors are the most notable thing being 'off'. Images that don't match are others.

If you are having SERIOUS display issues with the forums, first try to PURGE YOUR CACHE in your web browser. CSS has a bad habit of hanging onto old settings. If that doesn't work, let us know your browser version and specific problems.

If you come across these, list them out here in this topic.

The following are already known:

• Composing a topic/post has ugly blue junk.
• "Options" menus on almost every upper right corner of pages are wrong color.
• "Post Icons" on the bottom of making a new topic are all jumbled up an unaligned.

SPECIAL NOTE TO IMG PRO USERS (repeated here):
You will need to 'reset' your skin selection in your IMG Pro Preferences. To do this, select "Default" then click the save changes button. Then select the skin you want to use and click the save changes button again. The new skin system reset all pro user skin selections on the forumside. Sorry about that, it was unforseen.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#2 Siriusfox

Siriusfox

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1148 posts
  • Steam Name:opensiriusfox

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:36 PM

The text in the bar with "My Controls" the Username and "View New Posts" most of the text looks more condensed than it used to.

Other than that things are working fine for me.
Safari 2.0.3
20'' iMac Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 10.6.5, 2GB RAM, 256MB ATI X1600

"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." -Doug Larson

#3 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:44 AM

ooh la la -- the new forum functionality is really quite fantastic! one of the best implementations i have seen anywhere! seems to look a little cleaner too, but i can't be sure.

do you know if the functionality scales up well?

#4 Bernie

Bernie

Naughty

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1930 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 05:41 AM

When you are composing a post or PM, you have a some text selected and click the bold "B", are the BB Codes supposed to show up around your selected text or at the end of the whole message? For me, it is at the end, and it was that way before the upgrade. In fact, everything is and has always been showing up at the end. (eg, it is a little bit annoying having to cut & paste when I want to add a smily in the middle of a message.)

One Way of Looking at Life
Good to be a Master.
Better to be a Teacher.
Best to be a Student.

#5 Bernie

Bernie

Naughty

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1930 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:14 AM

What happened to the "New Poll" button? Are polls things of the past now?... Never-mind, there seems to be a new method of handling polls. You start by clicking "New Topic".

Good to be a Master.
Better to be a Teacher.
Best to be a Student.

#6 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:59 AM

View PostBernie, on January 16th 2006, 06:41 AM, said:

When you are composing a post or PM, you have a some text selected and click the bold "B", are the BB Codes supposed to show up around your selected text or at the end of the whole message? For me, it is at the end, and it was that way before the upgrade. In fact, everything is and has always been showing up at the end. (eg, it is a little bit annoying having to cut & paste when I want to add a smily in the middle of a message.)

Well, I just tried it, and it puts the tags around what I have selected. If I just click the "bold" button when I don't have anythign selected, it puts a begin bold tag Then when I click the button again after type, it puts an end bold tag.

What browser are you using?

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#7 Bernie

Bernie

Naughty

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1930 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:41 AM

View PostFrigidman, on January 16th 2006, 09:59 AM, said:

Well, I just tried it, and it puts the tags around what I have selected. If I just click the "bold" button when I don't have anythign selected, it puts a begin bold tag Then when I click the button again after type, it puts an end bold tag.

What browser are you using?
Safari. And it is working correctly now. I updated some system software (including a Safari update to 1.3.2) that required a reboot. Things are different now.

Good to be a Master.
Better to be a Teacher.
Best to be a Student.

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:19 AM

Hot damn!  This is so uptown it is making my little cat toes curl in and out.  I'm sitting at my desk kneading the Safari window.  Going from a phpBB forum to here is like stepping from a 1962 VW bug into a 2005 Lexus.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:26 PM

I think I have to report a bug...or something.  Seems like half the time now, the forum doesn't keep track of topics I've read.  Either I get the "new post(s)" icon when there aren't any new posts, or there are new posts, but I click on that icon and get taken to a point several posts earlier than where it should be.  

I never had this issue with the previous version.  Is it on my end?

--Eric

#10 OverLoad

OverLoad

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 12:07 AM

I've noticed that when I click the "REPLY" button under a post I get the contents of that post quoted in the reply text box, regardless of whether the "QUOTE" button was set to plus or minus. This seems like a new development; I can remember when setting the "QUOTE" button to minus would give a clean text box.

#11 Bernie

Bernie

Naughty

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1930 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 07:39 AM

View PostOverLoad, on January 21st 2006, 01:07 AM, said:

I've noticed that when I click the "REPLY" button under a post I get the contents of that post quoted in the reply text box, regardless of whether the "QUOTE" button was set to plus or minus. This seems like a new development; I can remember when setting the "QUOTE" button to minus would give a clean text box.
* Clicking the Posted Image button means you want to reply to that specific post. Thus, the text should be quoted.
* Clicking the Posted Image button means that you want to reply to the whole thread/multiple posts. By default nothing is quoted.
(continued in next post)

View PostOverLoad, on January 21st 2006, 01:07 AM, said:

(continued from previous post)
... If you want any posts quoted when you click the Add Reply button, click the Posted Image button, which toggles to http://www.insidemac...p_mq_remove.gif, for each post that you want to quote.

(Sorry, I had to break this into two posts because you cannot add more than two images per post.)

Wow. I made two separate posts, both by clicking the " Reply buttons to OverLoad's post, and my two post are now one. Let's see what happens to this post, which was made by clicking the Add Reply button for the thread.

Good to be a Master.
Better to be a Teacher.
Best to be a Student.

#12 OverLoad

OverLoad

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 07:46 AM

Ahhhh, I see. Thank you Bernie, that made it clear.

I thought the "QUOTE" and "REPLY" buttons must have something to do with each other, since they're right next to each other. It's not a very intuitive layout; perhaps it would be better if the "REPLY" button was on the left and the "QUOTE" button was on the right?

#13 Bernie

Bernie

Naughty

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1930 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 07:48 AM

----------
I have a suggestion. When multiple posts are absorbed into one post, add a dividing line. This is my fourth post in a row on this thread. This time I added the "----------" just above.

EDIT: It looks like OverLoad posted between my 3rd and 4th post.

Good to be a Master.
Better to be a Teacher.
Best to be a Student.

#14 OverLoad

OverLoad

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 07:53 AM

Yep, I beat you to the post. Actually I was responding to your first post, and didn't see your second post when I started writing my response; it showed up in the "Last 10 Posts" though, because you hit the post button before I started to reply.

I have to say, I really like this absorbing consecutive posts feature. It's very smart.

Although, as we've seen you can't always count on being consecutive. ;)

Anyhow, thanks for setting me straight on the "QUOTE" button!

#15 Bernie

Bernie

Naughty

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1930 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 07:55 AM

------------

View PostOverLoad, on January 21st 2006, 08:46 AM, said:

Ahhhh, I see. Thank you Bernie, that made it clear.

I thought the "QUOTE" and "REPLY" buttons must have something to do with each other, since they're right next to each other. It's not a very intuitive layout; perhaps it would be better if the "REPLY" button was on the left and the "QUOTE" button was on the right?
Glitch: I just went to reply to OverLoad's post about not being able to see my second post. I clicked " Reply and only got what is above quoted. Maybe OverLoad made a second post, which got absorbed into the first one, but isn't being quoted during a reply?

EDIT: Or maybe it is not a glitch. The rest of his post is now gone. Maybe he edited.

Good to be a Master.
Better to be a Teacher.
Best to be a Student.

#16 OverLoad

OverLoad

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 07:58 AM

No, I just edited my post (to remove the spurious glitch report) when I realized what was happening.

What I thought was a glitch was actually you adding to your post while I was still reading it.

I twigged when I looked back and saw the timestamp of your initial post. :P

#17 Bernie

Bernie

Naughty

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1930 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:04 AM

-------

View PostAbsorbed Bernie, on January 21st 2006, 08:39 AM, said:

* Clicking the http://www.insidemac...s/2/p_quote.gif button means you want to reply to that specific post. Thus, the text should be quoted.
* Clicking the http://www.insidemac...s/2/t_reply.gif button means that you want to reply to the whole thread/multiple posts. By default nothing is quoted.
(continued in next post)
(continued from previous post)
... If you want any posts quoted when you click the Add Reply button, click the http://www.insidemac.../2/p_mq_add.gif button, which toggles to http://www.insidemac...p_mq_remove.gif, for each post that you want to quote.

(Sorry, I had to break this into two posts because you cannot add more than two images per post.)

Wow. I made two separate posts, both by clicking the " Reply buttons to OverLoad's post, and my two post are now one. Let's see what happens to this post, which was made by clicking the Add Reply button for the thread.
Not Glitch, confirmed. What you see above is the quoted part of my 3-into-1 post. The quoting does appear to be working properly with absorbed posts. Note: I had to removed the image tags to get this to post because of the two image limit.

Summary for me: No glitches. A dividing line between absorbed posts would be nice.

OverLoad, are you still confused about anything or does anything still seem like a glitch?

Good to be a Master.
Better to be a Teacher.
Best to be a Student.

#18 OverLoad

OverLoad

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:24 AM

Nope, I'm cool now. Thanks for asking! (But I still think it would be a good idea to transpose the "QUOTE" and "REPLY" buttons.)

I agree that a dashed line between merged posts might be a good idea. Or better yet, if the system is going to be adding them automatically, perhaps it could do something like this:

---------------------------
Added timestamp:

This would give a clearer idea of when the additions were made. (I'm assuming the merged post continues to use the timestamp for the original post.)

#19 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:38 AM

I'm not quite sure how the merging of posts works. It is a nice feature, for those numbicilles who post five times in a row in the same topic...

As for hacking the code to add information when it merges... that is something I would not like to do. Makes updating a pain, which it is already with the integration of IMG Pro users and News Topics.

As for the topics showing up as new, when not, and not when new, and jumping to the wrong last poster... I believe that was a step left out of updating they failed to mention, which is to run all the maintenance cleaners and recounters. Which I am doing now, and hopefully will clear up all that junk. This new update of the IPB code did a LOT of changes to the DB, and other structures, so I no doubt see there being some cleanup issues.

-Fm [1oM7]

#20 Bernie

Bernie

Naughty

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1930 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:49 AM

View PostFrigidman, on January 21st 2006, 09:38 AM, said:

I'm not quite sure how the merging of posts works. It is a nice feature, for those numbicilles who post five times in a row in the same topic...
Agreed. One question: When a second post is merged, which time stamp is displayed: first or second?

As for hacking the code to add information when it merges... that is something I would not like to do. Makes updating a pain, which it is already with the integration of IMG Pro users and News Topics.
I'm surprised that there is not a setting somewhere that you can set.

As for the topics showing up as new, when not, and not when new, and jumping to the wrong last poster... I believe that was a step left out of updating they failed to mention, which is to run all the maintenance cleaners and recounters. Which I am doing now, and hopefully will clear up all that junk. This new update of the IPB code did a LOT of changes to the DB, and other structures, so I no doubt see there being some cleanup issues.
Keep up the good work; we really appreciate it.

Good to be a Master.
Better to be a Teacher.
Best to be a Student.