#1 Maestro

Maestro

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Steam Name:kgmoome

Posted 13 January 2006 - 06:38 PM

Here is a FAQ that I found on Apples website that i want to pass along...

Will I be able to install Mac OS X for Intel on another Intel system?

Normally no, but you can give it a shot checking out the Mac OSX on Intel blog. [Edit - tBC]

Can I run Windows on an Intel Mac?

Yes.  Apple has released a beta version of their Windows boot software called Boot Camp (available here) which allows easy installation and dual booting of Windows.  This is a feature that was planned for OS 10.5 but was released early (possibly in response to the hacked versions of Windows being installed on Macs).  At this point in time the only version that Boot Camp can install is Windows XP Service Pack 2.  For a wealth of more information, please see Apple's Boot Camp website.  Please note that Apple still does not sell or support Windows, so should you infect your Windows partition with some nasty virus, it's between you and Microsoft.  [Edit - Per Ian Beck - tBC]

Can I install Windows on my Intel Mac using the version that came with my copy of Virtual PC?

Short answer, no.

Long answer, yes (assuming you got Windows XP with Virtual PC), but it takes a bit of work and you have to have administrative access to a Windows computer that can burn CDs.  This is due to the fact that the copy of Windows included with VPC is not located on an installer disk; it is "preinstalled," in a way, in a VPC disk image.  More information can be found scattered throughout this thread in the Apple Discussions forums, including instructions on how to create a bootable Windows install disk with Service Pack 2 (applies for those who have a pre-SP2 version of Windows as well).  [Edit - Per Ian Beck - tBC]

Is there still a PRAM?

There is NVRAM.

You can reset it by using the Command-Option-P-R key combination, although you really shouldn't need to do this, except as noted in troubleshooting procedures.

We'll be looking into exactly what's reset when using this feature.

Is there a PMU/SMU?

Essentially, yes, but it is called the SMC (System Management Control) on these units.

Is Apple using BIOS?

Apple has decided to use EFI.

EFI stands for Extensible Firmware Interface.

EFI is an industry standard architecture that is flexible, easily up-datable and on the forefront of technology.

Does the startup manager look the same?

It is the same but with a slightly-improved interface.

Is there still a flashing question mark?

Yes. If no viable system is found, a flashing question mark appears.

How does Rosetta work?

When an application launches on an Intel-based Macintosh computer, the kernel detects whether the application has a native binary.

If the binary is not native, the kernel launches the binary using Rosetta.

If the application can be translated, it launches and runs.

Behind the scenes, Rosetta translates and executes the PowerPC binary code.

Is the performance the same when running an application in Rosetta?

For the most part, there shouldn't be any performance issues unless it is an application that is heavily graphics-intensive.

Users may notice that the graphics don't render quite as fast as they used to and occasionally, colors may render incorrectly.

What Apple software is available as a universal binary?

All Apple-branded applications bundled with Intel systems.

Some professional applications are ready now with more updates coming soon.

Applications not currently available:
Aperture
Final Cut Express
AppleWorks

Will printers/scanners/misc. devices work?

Nearly every printer driver, plus many more, that shipped with Tiger is included in Mac OS X for Intel as a universal binary.

If you only have a PPC printer driver, it should run in Rosetta.

For scanners and other devices, these likely will not work properly in Rosetta, customers should check with the vendor for a universal binary version of the driver/plug-in.

Will users know when an application is running in Rosetta?

No, they won't know. It is seamless.

Will there be a separate process running?

There is no separate process for Rosetta.

Rosetta runs in the same thread of control as the application.

Is there a system preference pane for Rosetta?

No, there are no user-defined parameters for Rosetta.

I couldn't link it, since it's password protected :/
Tortillas are sleeping bags for ground beef.

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15761 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 January 2006 - 07:37 PM

This needs pinned.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 George the Flea

George the Flea

IMG Comma Junkie

• IMG Writers
  • 680 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:40 AM

Ian's additions/extensions to some out-dated info in the above FAQ:

Can I run Windows on an Intel Mac?

Yes.  Apple has released a beta version of their Windows boot software called Boot Camp (available here) which allows easy installation and dual booting of Windows.  This is a feature that was planned for OS 10.5 but was released early (possibly in response to the hacked versions of Windows being installed on Macs).  At this point in time the only version that Boot Camp can install is Windows XP Service Pack 2.  For a wealth of more information, please see Apple's Boot Camp website.  Please note that Apple still does not sell or support Windows, so should you infect your Windows partition with some nasty virus, it's between you and Microsoft.

Can I install Windows on my Intel Mac using the version that came with my copy of Virtual PC?

Short answer, no.

Long answer, yes (assuming you got Windows XP with Virtual PC), but it takes a bit of work and you have to have administrative access to a Windows computer that can burn CDs.  This is due to the fact that the copy of Windows included with VPC is not located on an installer disk; it is "preinstalled," in a way, in a VPC disk image.  More information can be found scattered throughout this thread in the Apple Discussions forums, including instructions on how to create a bootable Windows install disk with Service Pack 2 (applies for those who have a pre-SP2 version of Windows as well).
Ian
IMG Flunky

Me + web = Beckism.com | Tagamac | One Crayon

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15761 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 02:18 PM

FAQ updated.  Thanks!  :)
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 Zab329

Zab329

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 10:24 PM

This FAQ should now include parallels. But i am to lazy to do it my self just thought i'd point it out.
"So we went to Atari and said, 'Hey, we've got this amazing thing, even built with some of your parts, and what do you think about funding us? Or we'll give it to you. We just want to do it. Pay our salary, we'll come work for you.' And they said, 'No.' So then we went to Hewlett-Packard, and they said, 'Hey, we don't need you. You haven't got through college yet.'" -- Apple Computer Inc. founder Steve Jobs

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15761 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:49 AM

Come back when you have something.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15761 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 10:08 AM

View Posthardmacpro, on December 24th 2006, 03:50 AM, said:

vist this website http://osx86project.blogspot.com/ for latest mac release and installation help

Feature list

*   Seperate installation guide for installation from linux and windows

*   Installation guide for Dual boot configuration mac/xp

*   Installation guide for mac/vista dual boot

*   Many Tricks
http://osx86project.blogspot.com/

I've added your link to the FAQ, but I've had to delete your cross post in another thread, sorry.  Thanks for contributing though!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat