#41 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 03:03 AM

View PostPhocid, on January 20th 2006, 01:34 AM, said:

Okay, I've tried some Doom3 mods. Classic Doom was great. A couple of others, but mostly I'm just spending my time trying to get the mod installed and working on my Mac. Many of those mods appear to have PC versions and no Mac versions. (PC Gamers sites are poorly laid out, hard to scan and labyranthine in design) Mac versions have to be merged with PC versions etc. PC versions without Mac additions crash invariably. I couldn't find a Mac version of Pathways Redux.

Just click my sig.. If you're into doom3 mods then AppleCrypt is the place, slower transfer speeds as i run it from home but it's better than nothing! ; ) The mods hosted are all for the Mac and have been test and re-compiled and re-packed to work. I dont get the time to document everything, but there's a chat facility to ask and you can also msg me if i'm not about. Go2 my homepage for details.. hth?

The reason Pathways Redux doesn't work is because it used compiled source, like many mods. I got the source from the author are compiled a mac release that is hosted at applecrypt fwiw.. I did send the mac version back to him but he never botered to host (well, the last time i checked)

But I seemed to be having some success with Chex Trek, I added the Mac amendments and it gave me a Chex Trek startup screen. Then something weird happened: it loaded the regular game. I played that for a while, thinking that maybe there was some alteration to the original game itself. When I got to the armory there was a pink sphere instead of the usual pistol. No pistol or any other weapon appears in my hand, but pressing the firing button causes the pistol noise and a black spot on the wall. When I press the Esc key I get the Chex Trek screen!

Chex Trek is another great mod, but it needs the sources compiling. Sadly i've been so busy lately that i've just not had the chance to get this done for their currrent release : ( Once i have, it will work 100% (like the previous betas and private betas - i'm a team member so see all releases). Damn i gotta get more time for this mod! : (

Classic Doom was a success but other mods are giving me trouble. Do you have any advice? Thanx,

yeah, same advice to all fans of modding - go2 AppleCrypt! :D
Like i said, slower transfers speeds.. but we use kdx and Wired as the server, so even if you need to disconnected half way through a download, you can come back days later and fully resume the transfer. This isn't like ftp, always 100% resumable and this itself is 100% reliable. So chill on the slower k/secs (i get some ppl that moan about this! lol)

Wow all that's not bad for someone that's just this minute woke up! Need some coffee beans now to wake me fully..... hope all that above makes sense? cheers.

-
edit:
please note that i've had to take AppleCrypt offline for the day. Sorry about that mate
-
AppleCrypt Mods  (as dead as a Dodo!)

#42 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:10 AM

Thank you for your selfless contributions!  Hope you are back up and serving the community again soon.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#43 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 01:26 PM

thanks mate - really appreciate that :)
Server back up now, moved the G5 into a different room. Took all blummin day and after all the sweat in stuck in a smaller room! Women... ; )

#44 macgeek2005

macgeek2005

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:06 PM

I looked everywhere online for this information, but couldn't find anything. What are the differences between the difficulty settings in Doom 3.

What changes from Easy to Medium, Medium to Hard, Hard to Nightmare. I played it on easy, and then on Medium. I couldn't tell any difference.

Also, is there any way to see what difficulty you're playing on at the moment? Like, in call of duty, when you load a game, it says what difficulty it's at. In doom 3, is there any way to know that you didn't accidentaly click easy, when you meant to click Medium?

Thanks

#45 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:18 PM

View Postmacgeek2005, on January 24th 2006, 04:06 PM, said:

What changes from Easy to Medium, Medium to Hard, Hard to Nightmare. I played it on easy, and then on Medium. I couldn't tell any difference.

I think it's just the amount of health/ammo pickups, the amount of health/ammo in each pickup, and (maybe) the number of monsters. I think the number of monsters is pretty constant though. Nightmare difficulty also sets your max health to be pretty low.

#46 macgeek2005

macgeek2005

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:27 PM

I'm thinking of playing it on Veteran now, that's why I was wondering what the difference is gonna be.

#47 :::AtomicX:::

:::AtomicX:::

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 03:42 PM

To me this is still one the scariest games ever made.

I remember when I played the Doom series 1 and 2, mind you this was like more than 8 years ago. I thought that was scary. HEHEHE.

This game deserves more credit than some people admit to give. Its not the greatest story ever written but the special effects and music alone sends chills down your spine.

Any ways I played this on my G5 2.5 Dual with X 800 XT ATI card and 5 gigs of ram. It played by the default on 1024x768 at HIGH QUALITY with shadows on and antialiasing on 2x. Apparently do to my system configuration the default settings are the ones I mentioned above.

It was beautiful. Makes me play it over and over again.

Of course no drops in frame rates whatsoever.

This is the first time I post any comments on this site, so I thought DOOM III was the game worth saying something about.

#48 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:01 PM

And welcome to the forums!  :)
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#49 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 26 January 2006 - 06:12 AM

I had a question. I recently got Doom 3, and I've played it for about 2 hours. I just discovered the duct tape mod, and I would like to use it. Upon loading the mod, I discovered my saved games were not available to load. Is there any way to use this and continue where I left off? I don't want to restart from the beginning.

Also can you use more than one mod at a time? For instance I also wanted to use the Nitro Gorepatch one.

Thanks!
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#50 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:57 AM

View PostWumpus, on January 26th 2006, 12:12 PM, said:

I had a question. I recently got Doom 3, and I've played it for about 2 hours. I just discovered the duct tape mod, and I would like to use it. Upon loading the mod, I discovered my saved games were not available to load. Is there any way to use this and continue where I left off? I don't want to restart from the beginning.

Also can you use more than one mod at a time? For instance I also wanted to use the Nitro Gorepatch one.

Thanks!

fraid not, once a mod is installed then u cannot start from that point in the map. You have to start at the beginning of that particular map. Not the start of the game, just the start of the map.. iyswim.

(edit: the saved game file isn't corrupt. Remove the mod and it's usuable again)

I wouldn't start mixing mods about in the base folder, it's gonna cause troubles sooner or later. But the above two mods should be ok, even though the Duct tape mod... urgghhh! You need something newer and better, try: Mind-Killer, GTX Unlimited, Doom3X, Green Tech, DOOM Cubed. There's more, enjoy ; )

(edit 2)
Go2 AppleCrypt server. Cos unless more ppl use it then i'm closing it down (sadly). See my sig.. hth? thx

#51 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 26 January 2006 - 01:39 PM

Thanks a lot for the post! Although I don't quite get what you mean by "map" Do you mean "level" as in inbetween loading screens?

I'm not putting the mods in the "base" folder, I just have them in my Doom 3 folder with everything else, and once loading it up I'm hitting the "mods" tab, then loading the appropriate one. Is this the right way to do it? Because when I do it that way, none of my saved games show up in the load menu...

And I'm on Applycrypt right now downloading some stuff. This is truly an amazing compilation!
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#52 macgeek2005

macgeek2005

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:33 PM

Sorry for getting off ur topic a little, but i'm really depresssed. I just ran the bandwidth test thing on Doom 3, to check the framerate, and this is what I got.

Low Quality 640x480. 25.6 fps
Low Quality 800x600. 20.1 fps
Medium Quality 1024x768 8.7fps.

AHHH NEW COMPUTER NEEDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#53 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:36 PM

View Postmacgeek2005, on January 26th 2006, 04:33 PM, said:

Sorry for getting off ur topic a little, but i'm really depresssed. I just ran the bandwidth test thing on Doom 3, to check the framerate, and this is what I got.

That's about the level of performance I got out of my Mac.  I still enjoyed the game.

#54 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 04:08 PM

View Postmacgeek2005, on January 26th 2006, 09:33 PM, said:

maybe u need the odd tweak here or there..? But what Mac u got anyhow?
My G5 delivers 55fps (ish) when i run without shadows. iirc this was at low or medium @1280x1024. I tend to run at this res and in medium with shadows. Averages around 40fps i think. But in-game speeds are better and different to the timedemos anyhow.

Some tweaks here. hth?

View PostWumpus, on January 26th 2006, 07:39 PM, said:

Thanks a lot for the post! Although I don't quite get what you mean by "map" Do you mean "level" as in inbetween loading screens?

I'm not putting the mods in the "base" folder, I just have them in my Doom 3 folder with everything else, and once loading it up I'm hitting the "mods" tab, then loading the appropriate one. Is this the right way to do it? Because when I do it that way, none of my saved games show up in the load menu...

And I'm on Applycrypt right now downloading some stuff. This is truly an amazing compilation!

by map i just meant the whole currently loaded level/map that you started on.. Some mods do go into the base folder, but good on ya for using the mods menu ; ) It'll make things a whole lot 'cleaner' for doom3!

Thanks for the compliment on the server : ) cheers

#55 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 06:08 PM

haha... i gave the demo a go on my 800mhz a while ago... ive got a Geforce2... but my saving grace is that I have 1.5gb of RAM... mainly playable, but theres some hellish (pun intended) slowdown whenever i get near a door... no actual benches, cos i dont know the commands...

but it looks good...

maybe when i get a new mac.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#56 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 12:22 AM

View Postteflon, on January 27th 2006, 12:08 AM, said:

haha... i gave the demo a go on my 800mhz a while ago... ive got a Geforce2... but my saving grace is that I have 1.5gb of RAM... mainly playable, but theres some hellish (pun intended) slowdown whenever i get near a door... no actual benches, cos i dont know the commands...

wow that's some spec to play d3! Try the tweak link above and mess about with the cache while making sure video mod/shadows/AA/AS are low/off/off/1 (respectfully). But do check out the link, perhaps enabling the caching or increasing it may help u... i doubt it be ya never know! ; )

#57 Dr. Geebs

Dr. Geebs

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:10 PM

TBH, post 10.4.3, doom3 seems to be running much more smoothly on my rig - have now been able to bump the res up to 1280x800, and it's like a whole new game.  Suddenly the graphics actually look good!

BTW Strider - thanks for the port of pathways redux, nicely nostalgic.

#58 macgeek2005

macgeek2005

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 01:47 PM

Does Doom 3 play widescreen? If I got a widescreen moniter would the picture fill up the whole screen?

#59 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 04:34 PM

View Postmacgeek2005, on January 28th 2006, 01:47 PM, said:

Does Doom 3 play widescreen? If I got a widescreen moniter would the picture fill up the whole screen?

Yes. You might have to use the config file to get the right FOV and resolution, though. Google is your friend.

#60 ehuelga

ehuelga

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Steam Name:El Spud

Posted 28 January 2006 - 06:27 PM

View Postmacgeek2005, on January 28th 2006, 02:47 PM, said:

Why doesn't anyone read the Readme files anymore? :wall:

Hold down the Apple key when you start the app. You can select all sorts of widescreen resolutions there.
The commute from Mill Valley to Cupertino is a real bitch.