167 replies to this topic

#21 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:18 PM

I stopped playing at the part where the chainsaw dude comes out. That was a while ago. I'm scared. :unsure:

#22 macgeek2005

macgeek2005

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:36 PM

Oh get over it. If I were the President of ESRB, Doom 3 would be rated E.

#23 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 January 2006 - 05:30 AM

macgeek2005, on January 13th 2006, 05:36 AM, said:

Oh get over it. If I were the President of ESRB, Doom 3 would be rated E.

View Post

If you were the president of ESBR, they would apparently get a lot more heat and bad press than now. The rating is not how scary the game is anyway.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#24 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17435 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 08:47 AM

If I was President of UESC I'd hollow out the moons of Mars and send one filled with colonists to Tau Ceti.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#25 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 13 January 2006 - 09:02 AM

the Battle Cat, on January 13th 2006, 03:47 PM, said:

If I was President of UESC I'd hollow out the moons of Mars and send one filled with colonists to Tau Ceti.

View Post

Good plan. Mind if I come along? I don't demand much... a simple position as security officer will do.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#26 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 09:19 AM

Huntn, on January 12th 2006, 07:31 AM, said:

Maybe Id got some inspiration from System Shock 2?- a game I hold in high regard. :)

-Hunt'n

View Post

It is pretty SS-esque, especially the plot advancement through found PDA's part.

I played the D3 demo and wasn't particularly impressed. Then, since I have access to a gaming PC for the first time, I picked it up as a package deal with Half Life 2, and played through the full version. It was much better than I was originally anticipating. I wanted to play it just because I had been seeing the screenshots for so many years, and wanted to try the engine in action, but got a well made shooter out of it.

My main criticism is that it's repetitive - they could have invested in a few more textures and had a bit of variety in the levels - like many said, it felt like the same corridor over and over for a lot of the game. That said, it was a lot of fun, and the engine is pretty impressive.

Of course, I'm glad I played it before HL2 - it isn't even fair to compare those two games in my opinon!
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#27 macgeek2005

macgeek2005

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 11:06 PM

I just beat Doom 3.

I am proud to say I made it through the whole game using a walkthrough only once.

Overall I think it's the best FPS i've ever played in every way.

#28 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 03:05 AM

macgeek2005, on January 14th 2006, 05:06 AM, said:

I just beat Doom 3.

I am proud to say I made it through the whole game using a walkthrough only once.

Overall I think it's the best FPS i've ever played in every way.

View Post

: ) ..now play it with Green Tech mod installed!

Strider
AppleCrypt Mods  (as dead as a Dodo!)

#29 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 14 January 2006 - 03:32 AM

I just got the demo this morning, and played it thru. I'm on a ibook G4 1.25 Gig, 512 RAM Radeon 9600 (32MB).

It chugs slightly during firefights, and opening into new areas, that's on low detail 640x480. But it still looks FANTASTIC. I've never seen a shooter look this good.

Audio is top notch, music, guns, atmosphere. Gore is well so gory its great.

I'll definitely be picking up the whole game real soon.

Did i mention the darkness? Quick question, will the flashlight mod work for the demo?
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#30 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 03:38 AM

i don't think any mods work with the demo.. when there are far better mods anyhow than just a flashlight mod by itself. Take a look below when u get the full release - glad u like it, esp on your well-doom3-underpowered mac! Nice1

edit:
seeing as people keep asking the obvious questions (well, obvious to me..:?) please just visit the website link that is in my sig. It'll tell u the logon details and everything else to get onto AppleCrypt. Any more probs ppl, then do continue to contact me ofcourse. NP at all. But please visit the website below. Thanks ; )

cheers, Strider

Edited by striderdm1, 14 January 2006 - 10:23 AM.

#31 macgeek2005

macgeek2005

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 05:24 PM

I don't understand these friggin mods. I tend to be the kind of person that buys games, and playes them. Simple. I don't care about some other way of playing the game that wasn't intended by the game developer. I've beaten doom 3, and i'm proud of myself for doing so. Thank you very much. I'll see you in the next game I play.

#32 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 02:33 AM

wow  :blink:  shame, you're missing out on some corkers, esp the ones that replace the entire game like Classic Doom, Pathways Redux, Chex Trek, Dungeon Doom, Doom Chronicles, Quake II Lost Marine. Not to mention some great mods that simply make doom3 BETTER, like doom3x, Green Tech, Mind Killer and tons more.. oh well, enjoy your next purchase, even if you aren't taking full advantage of it  :P

Quake 4 next for me. Can't wait to mod this!  ; )

#33 Dr. Geebs

Dr. Geebs

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:13 PM

I installed the parallax mapping mod, but I'm not sure if it's working or not.  THings might be a bit more 3d, I can't remember what it used to look like.....

BTW, Halo 2 was a much better single player game than either Half Life 2 or Doom 3

#34 Phocid

Phocid

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:17 AM

Well, for me, Doom3, wasn't as scary as Deus Ex. The latter had more suspense, plus you had stealth mode. I sorta got tired of being swarmed by comic book demons. The ZSecs have some smarts, they evade and take cover but the rest of them are just dumb bots. You can't find a good location and snipe them or set a trap. You can't hide behind a desk and zap that one guy with a cattle prod.

That said, Doom is a beautiful environment, you really feel you're underground on Mars. I love the dynamic scenery. And the chainsaw, one of the most useful weapons, and  it never uses any ammo. But there's nothing quite like Marathon...

Ken

#35 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17435 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:48 AM

Hear hear!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#36 paulc

paulc

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:39 PM

Just got a new rig (dual 2.7) and started playing some Doom... interesting. Also trying the Classic Doom mod... very impressive, but I haven't found a flashlight and need it!

The comment and Deus Ex makes me think about a OGL hack to the original game that was full of glitches the last I tried it. So of course, I wonder... is someone working on a Deus Ex mod to run with the Doom 3 engine?

#37 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:45 PM

you mean you have not hit the 'f' key to use the flashlight as you didn't know about that! Or you have not found a mod that mounts a flashlight on the weapons?

Deus Ex in the doom3 engine.. ummmm nice idea!!! ; )

#38 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 01:36 PM

View Postpaulc, on January 18th 2006, 01:39 PM, said:

Just got a new rig (dual 2.7) and started playing some Doom... interesting. Also trying the Classic Doom mod... very impressive, but I haven't found a flashlight and need it!

The comment and Deus Ex makes me think about a OGL hack to the original game that was full of glitches the last I tried it. So of course, I wonder... is someone working on a Deus Ex mod to run with the Doom 3 engine?

I didn't think there was a flashlight in the Classic Doom mod.  At least not in the version I played.

#39 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 01:37 PM

View PostMacProject, on January 18th 2006, 07:36 PM, said:

I didn't think there was a flashlight in the Classic Doom mod.  At least not in the version I played.

dang! I read that wrong above! lol sorry paulc
i thought you meant the flashlight in general & not just the classic doom mod!  :wall:

#40 Phocid

Phocid

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 07:34 PM

View Poststriderdm1, on January 15th 2006, 12:33 AM, said:

wow  :blink:  shame, you're missing out on some corkers, esp the ones that replace the entire game like Classic Doom, Pathways Redux, Chex Trek, Dungeon Doom, Doom Chronicles, Quake II Lost Marine. Not to mention some great mods that simply make doom3 BETTER, like doom3x, Green Tech, Mind Killer and tons more.. oh well, enjoy your next purchase, even if you aren't taking full advantage of it  :P

Okay, I've tried some Doom3 mods. Classic Doom was great. A couple of others, but mostly I'm just spending my time trying to get the mod installed and working on my Mac. Many of those mods appear to have PC versions and no Mac versions. (PC Gamers sites are poorly laid out, hard to scan and labyranthine in design) Mac versions have to be merged with PC versions etc. PC versions without Mac additions crash invariably. I couldn't find a Mac version of Pathways Redux.

But I seemed to be having some success with Chex Trek, I added the Mac amendments and it gave me a Chex Trek startup screen. Then something weird happened: it loaded the regular game. I played that for a while, thinking that maybe there was some alteration to the original game itself. When I got to the armory there was a pink sphere instead of the usual pistol. No pistol or any other weapon appears in my hand, but pressing the firing button causes the pistol noise and a black spot on the wall. When I press the Esc key I get the Chex Trek screen!

Classic Doom was a success but other mods are giving me trouble. Do you have any advice? Thanx,

Ken