167 replies to this topic

#1 macgeek2005

macgeek2005

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:44 AM

Wow. I got Doom 3 the day before yesterday. I've been playing it hours a day. I love it and at the same time it's getting on my nerves, if you know what I mean. It's creeping the **** outta me....

I just thought i'd start this thread because theres no other game similar to Doom 3, and I though it deserved it's own discussion thread.

I just started the Monorail level. After that high toxic area. The most intense part of the game i've played yet, for sure.

I wonder where Aspyr media conjured up the system requirments from. I play it on my Dual 1.25Ghz G4/ATI Radeon 9000/64mb, set on Low Quality/800x600 resolution. It looks great, and it NEVER lags.

It's funny because KOTOR runs terrible on my machine and it's requirements are far below my system.....

Anyway. Discuss your personal and non-personal experiences with Doom 3.

#2 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 January 2006 - 01:24 AM

Sorry to knock you off topic for a sec, but try downloading the 10.4.4 update and see if it helps your KOTOR issues (there were rumors that it might).
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#3 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:01 AM

macgeek2005, on January 11th 2006, 01:44 AM, said:

I just thought i'd start this thread because theres no other game similar to Doom 3, and I though it deserved it's own discussion thread.

There are actually several Doom 3 threads, but you have to go back a little ways.  

--Eric

#4 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:55 AM

macgeek2005 - play it modded, something like DoubleDoom, TweakDoom, GTX, Perfected Doom, Doom3 Ultima and you'll soon see why you should upgrade that old mac ;)

Glad you like doom3 :D

Strider
AppleCrypt Mods  (as dead as a Dodo!)

#5 macgeek2005

macgeek2005

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:42 AM

striderdm1, on January 11th 2006, 10:55 AM, said:

macgeek2005 - play it modded, something like DoubleDoom, TweakDoom, GTX, Perfected Doom, Doom3 Ultima and you'll soon see why you should upgrade that old mac ;)

Glad you like doom3 :D

Strider

View Post

What do those mods do? Do they change the game?

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:28 AM

The scariest part of Doom 3 for me was of my own doing, and my own stupidity.  It was the first time through the game, I had just had my first encounter with the Revenant, actually 2 of them in the same room.  I killed them, then walked up the ramp to check out the storage room.  As I entered, an imp that was inside screeched and threw a fireball at me.  That part was OK, I backed out to switch to a shotgun but as I cycled through the weapons my plasma rifle came up and the startup sound so startled me that I lost control, I thought it was coming from something behind me and I spun around and fired but by that time the imp came out of the storage room and started ripping on me but I was too disoriented to defend myself and my fingers even lost their keys as my chair rolled around on the floor.  That was my pampers moment in Doom 3.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#7 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:35 AM

macgeek2005, on January 11th 2006, 04:42 PM, said:

What do those mods do? Do they change the game?

View Post

very much so!! Always worthwhile to mod, esp Doom3  :happy:

nice story battle cat!! LOL! niiiice

Strider

#8 yves

yves

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:19 PM

did anyone notice any performance improvements in gaming with the updated graphics drivers in 10.4.4?
I was to eager to try it out and forgot to bench it
I did run activity monitor to check out the cpu load while playin and it seems it utilizes both processors more efficiently on my dual g5.

#9 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 03:16 PM

yves, on January 11th 2006, 06:19 PM, said:

did anyone notice any performance improvements in gaming with the updated graphics drivers in 10.4.4?
I was to eager to try it out and forgot to bench it
I did run activity monitor to check out the cpu load while playin and it seems it utilizes both processors more efficiently on my dual g5.

View Post

you know, i wondered the same.. though i've not got much time today i did manage to try the awesome Doom3. So i picked a mod to use - Dentron's SDK mod as extra features can often use extra cpu cycles and i loaded the 'UAC Franchise 666' map which can be quite low on f-p-s..

Anyhow, it was a LOT smoother! I don't wanna get ppls hopes up incase other games are no different or other (slower?) systems are no different. But on my dual G5 it WAS deffinetly faster and a lot smoother without any laggy gfx. Even when viewing the long coridoor. Impressed : )

How have other ppl found Doom3?? This is a good benchmark to use as it must be the most demanding game out on the Mac since that Halo port.. And until Quake4 arrives!

Strider

#10 macgeek2005

macgeek2005

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 03:50 PM

Doom 3 is really starting to get on my nerves. I'm beginning to hate it and love it at the same time. I Just entered Delta Labs 2a. At the same time as having fun I can't wait to beat the game.....if I can.

By the way. Random question, but what's the Nightmare setting like? I know it unlockes after I beat the game. What is it like? What does it do to make is so difficult?

#11 George the Flea

George the Flea

IMG Comma Junkie

• IMG Writers
  • 680 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 04:41 PM

macgeek2005, on January 11th 2006, 01:50 PM, said:

By the way. Random question, but what's the Nightmare setting like? I know it unlockes after I beat the game. What is it like? What does it do to make is so difficult?

Your health steadily decreases to 25 no matter what it normally is at.  You start off with the Soul Cube, but enemies deal more damage, so that slight advantage isn't much worth anything.

I didn't find it much fun.  A challenge is one thing; the developers just being unfair is another.
Ian
IMG Flunky

Me + web = Beckism.com | Tagamac | One Crayon

#12 striderdm1

striderdm1

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 05:11 PM

i agree and thought it was just a real bad idea.. well, ok once or twice but that's it. Prefer the original games for nightmare mode

Strider

#13 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 06:48 PM

striderdm1, on January 11th 2006, 06:11 PM, said:

i agree and thought it was just a real bad idea.. well, ok once or twice but that's it. Prefer the original games for nightmare mode

Yuck, I hated the nightmare mode in Doom and never played it.  :)  Monsters respawning constantly?  Feh, when I kill them I expect them to stay dead....

--Eric

#14 macgeek2005

macgeek2005

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:12 PM

*gasp* I can't believe it. I'm stuck. Maybe you guys can help me.

I'm in Delta Labs 2a. The guy wants to teleport us but I need to find that plasma thingy, and to find that I need to get into security and unlock all the doors. I can't get into security. I went everywhere.

HELP!!!! ....please

#15 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:54 PM

macgeek2005, on January 11th 2006, 01:50 PM, said:

View Post

You start out with the soul cube, your enemies die harder, you take more damage from a hit, if your health exceeds 25 it will increment back by 5 health points every few seconds.  Health packs are no longer available, just the occasional health terminal.  I played through the Nightmare mode.  It wasn't much different than how I played it on Normal.  On Normal if I got hit, not killed just hit, I would restore the game to my last quick save as a way of adding tenseness and challenge.  In Nightmare mode, just about ANYTHING that hits you will kill you with full armor and 25 health, so it wasn't much different.  When playing Nightmare, I didn't play by the one hit rule.  You can use the cube at the start of the fight to pump up your health to 100 then as it slowly increments back down, take your hits and murder everything.  I've often wound up playing the next few kills with only a couple health points, until I finally found a health terminal or my soul cube recharged.  Nightmare in Doom 3 has dead things staying dead unless an Arch-Vile reincarnates them.

macgeek2005, on January 11th 2006, 05:12 PM, said:

*gasp* I can't believe it. I'm stuck. Maybe you guys can help me.

I'm in Delta Labs 2a. The guy wants to teleport us but I need to find that plasma thingy, and to find that I need to get into security and unlock all the doors. I can't get into security. I went everywhere.

HELP!!!! ....please

View Post

From the guy who wants to teleport you, go back to where you have to crawl under panels and jump over crates.  You are now in a small room where the Revenant appeared.  Go out the door, down the hall and turn left at the first opportunity.  Explore throughly past the door you will encounter.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#16 macgeek2005

macgeek2005

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:23 PM

the Battle Cat, on January 11th 2006, 08:54 PM, said:

You start out with the soul cube, your enemies die harder, you take more damage from a hit, if your health exceeds 25 it will increment back by 5 health points every few seconds.  Health packs are no longer available, just the occasional health terminal.  I played through the Nightmare mode.  It wasn't much different than how I played it on Normal.  On Normal if I got hit, not killed just hit, I would restore the game to my last quick save as a way of adding tenseness and challenge.  In Nightmare mode, just about ANYTHING that hits you will kill you with full armor and 25 health, so it wasn't much different.  When playing Nightmare, I didn't play by the one hit rule.  You can use the cube at the start of the fight to pump up your health to 100 then as it slowly increments back down, take your hits and murder everything.  I've often wound up playing the next few kills with only a couple health points, until I finally found a health terminal or my soul cube recharged.  Nightmare in Doom 3 has dead things staying dead unless an Arch-Vile reincarnates them.
From the guy who wants to teleport you, go back to where you have to crawl under panels and jump over crates.  You are now in a small room where the Revenant appeared.  Go out the door, down the hall and turn left at the first opportunity.  Explore throughly past the door you will encounter.

View Post

I figured it on my own just a few minutes ago. I get impatient at times, and think that if I haven't already figured it out, that i'll never figure it out. I don't exactly follow what you said. The way I got into security is with that funny machine that lifts crates into those 9 positions in the wall. I had it put a crate on the rising platform, and then got on the crate, and when the platform rose and the machine carried it back to it's position, on the way I was close enough to this ledge to jump to it, and then I went in through a shaft and I was on the other side of the door.

After getting that plasma thing, on my way back to the teleport guy, I jerked in my seat twice...... that popsnizzle was creepy.

#17 OneButton

OneButton

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:06 AM

i never finished it because it was too scary for me...

yeah i'm a wuss
12" Powerbook 1.33 G4, 1.25gig RAM, Combo drive, 60gig 4200 rpm HD, 64mb nVidia Geforce FX go5200

Current Mac games in process of finishing: UT 2004

#18 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 06:31 AM

macgeek2005, on January 11th 2006, 08:23 PM, said:

I figured it on my own just a few minutes ago.

View Post

The walkthrough at Doom3 Portal maybe of help for future enlightenment.

One part of the game that really unnerved me was a section where I was totally reliant on my flashlight and was trying to navigate across a wide open black space. Ironically, I don't remember anything bad happening at that point. The business of having either your flashlight or gun at the ready raised my tension substantially. Do you think they did that on purpose?  :P

And I'll always cherish the jaunts outside where your under attack, running out of air and looking for the door to get back in. My main critique of the game is it's too much of a good thing, too much dark to the point of fatigue. Even before the lights went out, can you imagine anyone volunteering to live and work in such a dreary environment? The perfect setting for a horror movie...hmm.

Maybe Id got some inspiration from System Shock 2?- a game I hold in high regard. :)

-Hunt'n

#19 macgeek2005

macgeek2005

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 05:49 PM

I just beat Hell!!! I'm so happy. Especially after what my brother told me about that fight at the end. I was expecting it to be alot worse. I was at 105 armor and 100 health at the end of it.

#20 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 06:57 PM

Pillars are your friends.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat