87 replies to this topic

#41 1337

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:23 PM

the Battle Cat, on January 11th 2006, 07:09 PM, said:

The topic was not gaming hardware related and as such was Off Topic material where the forum description is "Any discussion not related to Mac gaming."  It was as simple as that, purely a function of keeping like information together.  :)

View Post

huh.  I didn't think of it that way...  Oops!

*wipes egg off face*

:blush:

#42 1337

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:24 PM

teflon, on January 11th 2006, 07:46 PM, said:

oh, and 1337, if you take out some of the RAM and sell it separately i reckon youll get more money. Most people dont notice how much RAM a machine has, just what the CPU speed/GPU is.

View Post

Really?  Wow... Thanks for the tip!  I'm definitely looking to offset the cost of the new acquisition any way I can.  I wonder if those ladies still want me to strip for that 40th b-day party...

#43 Mattg

Mattg

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:48 PM

Wow, have I been gone a while! It seems it may be time for a new Mac. The new machines look absolutely phenomenal.

While i'm most pleased with the price, lets hope the price of the towers is finally better than the current crop. Price has always been such a huge barrier, and frankly, OSX does not warrant a higher price tag than a comparable windows system.

#44 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:25 PM

Mattg, on January 11th 2006, 10:48 PM, said:

While i'm most pleased with the price, lets hope the price of the towers is finally better than the current crop. Price has always been such a huge barrier, and frankly, OSX does not warrant a higher price tag than a comparable windows system.

Er...what?  The Intel Mac prices are identical to the PPC Mac prices.  And the Intel towers will be priced identically to the PPC towers.  (i.e, around $3000 or so for the top-end model.)  

--Eric

#45 SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 02:37 PM

Eric5h5, on January 12th 2006, 12:25 AM, said:

Er...what?  The Intel Mac prices are identical to the PPC Mac prices.  And the Intel towers will be priced identically to the PPC towers.  (i.e, around $3000 or so for the top-end model.) 

--Eric

View Post

Yup.  It's all about economies of scale.  Apple still needs those profit margins to subsidize its software development.

#46 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 05:14 PM

Eric5h5, on January 11th 2006, 10:25 PM, said:

Er...what?  The Intel Mac prices are identical to the PPC Mac prices.  And the Intel towers will be priced identically to the PPC towers.  (i.e, around $3000 or so for the top-end model.) 

--Eric

View Post

Well, they didn't increase it. They could of justified it if they wanted too.
The official Inside Mac Games forum Space Pirate Killer.

#47 George the Flea

George the Flea

IMG Comma Junkie

• IMG Writers
  • 680 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 January 2006 - 06:29 PM

Eric5h5, on January 11th 2006, 07:03 PM, said:

Nope, sorry, the first PowerBooks were 68K machines, not PPC.  Power just means, you know, um, "power."  As in "powerful, fast, etc."

I don't know for sure, but I'd be willing to bet it also was intended to mean powered book, as in small like a book, full of information, but with electricity (and later with sweet bubbly icons! Take that, print industry!).

It would make the iBook (internet-book) a consistent name choice if this were so, too.
Ian
IMG Flunky

Me + web = Beckism.com | Tagamac | One Crayon

#48 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 06:35 PM

Space_Pirate_Killer, on January 12th 2006, 06:14 PM, said:

They could of justified it if they wanted too.

"Could have justified it if they wanted to."  Sorry, but you're not getting away with that.

Anyway, I doubt they could have justified a price increase.  Or if they tried, just imagine the howls of outrage.  Keeping price parity and disappointing all those who were blithely assuming cheaper prices because of Intel is one thing (silly people), but an increase?  Heh.  Actually that would have been pretty darn funny.

--Eric

#49 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 07:31 PM

Eric5h5, on January 12th 2006, 05:35 PM, said:

"Could have justified it if they wanted to."  Sorry, but you're not getting away with that.

Anyway, I doubt they could have justified a price increase.  Or if they tried, just imagine the howls of outrage.  Keeping price parity and disappointing all those who were blithely assuming cheaper prices because of Intel is one thing (silly people), but an increase?  Heh.  Actually that would have been pretty darn funny.

--Eric

View Post

Well alright. But it wouldn't of been funny. :o

#50 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:20 PM

Obviously SPK has a burning desire to be smacked around with a big, heavy grammar book.  Perhaps I will indulge him....

--Eric

#51 Abecedaria

Abecedaria

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:25 PM

SpaceMonkey, on January 10th 2006, 08:17 PM, said:

Yeah, maybe.  I was just thinking that since Apple didn't change the iMac's name, they would probably leave the iBook's name alone for consistency's sake.  One could argue that the iMac and the iBook have the most brand recognition of the entire Apple line-up (apart from the iPod, of course), and so Apple would want to leave their names alone to avoid the expense and effort of cultivating an entirely new brand image.  The recent PowerBooks and PowerMacs, however, when they have been recognized by mainstream PC audiences at all, have for the most part been seen as being underpowered wastes of money, and so Apple has every incentive to change their names.

View Post

<if>
PowerBook -> MacBook Pro
<then>
iBook -> iMacBook
PowerMac -> MacMac Pro
Newton -> iNewtMac

:teehee:

abc

P.S. This IS a hardware discussion, it IS , it IS.
"THIS is Ceti-alpha 5!"
| 17" MacBook Pro | Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz | 2GB RAM | Radeon Mobility x1600 256MB |
| Boot Camp Windows XP Config: ATI Driver - DHzer0point Catalyst 0.69 | Current overclock: 475 - 475 (stock) |

#52 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 12:51 AM

Eric5h5, on January 12th 2006, 09:20 PM, said:

Obviously SPK has a burning desire to be smacked around with a big, heavy grammar book.  Perhaps I will indulge him....

--Eric

View Post

Would not have been funny. Happy now? :angry:

#53 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 01:39 AM

Space_Pirate_Killer, on January 13th 2006, 01:51 AM, said:

Happy now? :angry:

Yes.  But I shall be watching you closely from now on.  Very closely.

MacMac Pro

Ooh, I like that one!  In fact, I will never buy another computer again unless it's officially called a MacMac Pro.  Yep.  Although I might possibly settle for a MackityMacMac Pro Mac, possibly maybe.

--Eric

#54 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 02:15 AM

How about MacSquared Pro?   ;)
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#55 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 02:19 AM

I'll bet you 200 yen that the iBook will be the MacBook. As for the tower... that's a tough one.

#56 Space_Pirate_Killer

Space_Pirate_Killer

above n00b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 02:41 AM

Tomatocow, on January 13th 2006, 01:19 AM, said:

I'll bet you 200 yen that the iBook will be the MacBook. As for the tower... that's a tough one.

View Post

200 Yen? That's like $2.

I'd say the Tower would be called Mac Pro.

#57 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 09:39 AM

1337, on January 11th 2006, 07:23 PM, said:

huh.  I didn't think of it that way...  Oops!

*wipes egg off face*

:blush:

View Post

Tuncer created a new forum for talk of the new Intel Macs.  I'm going to move you there now.  Sorry for all the whiplash!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#58 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:19 AM

Thain Esh Kelch, on January 10th 2006, 01:08 PM, said:

So, battery time - Cant find anything, but people speculates on ~4 hours at best unfortunately. its probably running pretty hot too!

And does anyone have a good review on the x1600 mobility?

View Post

The fact that apple is not saying anything about battery life is kind of scarry, i say 3.5-4.0hours max off of full charge, 1.5 when playing games, 2 when whaching dvd's.

#59 1337

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 03:42 PM

View PostLemon Lime, on January 15th 2006, 09:19 AM, said:

The fact that apple is not saying anything about battery life is kind of scarry, i say 3.5-4.0hours max off of full charge, 1.5 when playing games, 2 when whaching dvd's.

Nothing so scary about it.  What a lot of people miss is that it's not a Lithium-ion battery.  It's a Lithium polymer battery.  Now, I have no idea what that really means, but I do know that this is new and Apple was quoted as saying that they haven't had enough time testing it to publish battery life estimates, but it should be roughly comparable to current PB's...

That disappoints me, since I miss the 4 - 5 hours my TiBook got, but I guess it is what is is.

#60 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 03:57 PM

Lithium polymer (also known as lithium ion polymer) batteries have been around for 10 years and are more advanced than plain lithium ion batteries.  They're also safer, since they don't explode as easily.  They've been used in iPods and cell phones for years.

You'll be happy to know that they sport a 20% increase in capacity over plain lithium ion batteries, but their biggest advantage is the batteries' ability to be molded into an odd shape so that it can fit into compact electronics.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com