#21 SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:17 PM

FortranDragon, on January 10th 2006, 10:05 PM, said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see the iBook morph into the plain-jane, non-Pro MacBook.  That would would fit with pushing the Mac brand name onto all the models.  That way when a casual passerby asks someone what sort of laptop a Mac user is working on the word "Mac" is uttered.  Many, many people unfamiliar with Apple don't realize that an iBook or a Powerbook is a Mac, after all.

I could be completely wrong about the possible name, though.  :)

View Post

Yeah, maybe.  I was just thinking that since Apple didn't change the iMac's name, they would probably leave the iBook's name alone for consistency's sake.  One could argue that the iMac and the iBook have the most brand recognition of the entire Apple line-up (apart from the iPod, of course), and so Apple would want to leave their names alone to avoid the expense and effort of cultivating an entirely new brand image.  The recent PowerBooks and PowerMacs, however, when they have been recognized by mainstream PC audiences at all, have for the most part been seen as being underpowered wastes of money, and so Apple has every incentive to change their names.

#22 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:41 PM

The Mail Man, on January 11th 2006, 11:38 AM, said:

I agree friend but I think I am going to wait to see what the system req. for Quake 4 and COD2 are first before I by a MacBook Pro......God thats a dumb name! A sweet system indeed but I might wait until the 2.0. Then again maybe not  :D

View Post

Let's buy one each. That way we won't need to be afraid.

#23 atari

atari

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:00 PM

Thain Esh Kelch, on January 10th 2006, 10:08 PM, said:

So, battery time - Cant find anything, but people speculates on ~4 hours at best unfortunately. its probably running pretty hot too!

And does anyone have a good review on the x1600 mobility?

View Post

Some MacWorld visitors report that the MacBooks indicate 6 hours+ of battery life.
This is in line with the (somewhat optimistic) claims of other manufacturers.
27 inch quad beastie ordered :)

#24 FortranDragon

FortranDragon

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:02 PM

SpaceMonkey, on January 10th 2006, 09:17 PM, said:

Yeah, maybe.  I was just thinking that since Apple didn't change the iMac's name, they would probably leave the iBook's name alone for consistency's sake. [...]

View Post

Well. my thought was since Mac is a part of the iMac name it stayed the same.  Then  again, MacBook Pro suggests a non-Pro MacBook by its name alone.   I may just be a brand-conditioned consumer...  ;-)

#25 atari

atari

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:07 PM

FortranDragon, on January 11th 2006, 05:02 AM, said:

Well. my thought was since Mac is a part of the iMac name it stayed the same.  Then  again, MacBook Pro suggests a non-Pro MacBook by its name alone.   I may just be a brand-conditioned consumer...  ;-)

View Post

Going by the Keynote,your logic is indeed infallible.   :)
27 inch quad beastie ordered :)

#26 osprey54

osprey54

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:53 AM

im dissapointed by this "pro" laptop. I think many pros would rather see FW800 still in there at the expense of that 1/10 of an inch of thickness that apple chopped off.

And what, are they trying to piss off their current user base? Macbook Pro is an awful name.

Maybe the next gen powermac should just be Mac Pro?

#27 kalf

kalf

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 06:21 AM

At first I thought the name change might be a clever handle to clearly distinguish PPC from Intel to help consumer software purchases in the future - stating requires a MacBook rather than Powerbook is easier than the marketing nightmare of selling to PowerBook [Intel Only]; that is simply set to confuse less-knowledgable consumers. However keeping the name iMac blows this theory away; unless Apple figured the iMac name is by far the most recognisable Mac computer to the general population and they couldn't afford to lose that reputation. I don't really see the new name as a bad thing, people are more likely to link these new machines to the concept of the iMac that they know...I think it's Apple selling by reputation.

#28 dirkpitt

dirkpitt

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:31 AM

totallywhacked, on January 11th 2006, 09:04 AM, said:

so...uh...any word on whether we can run windows on it?

View Post

The folks at OSx86 think the Intel Macs may have trouble even booting Windows. Apparently, the new Macs use a new technology called "EFI" (Extensible Firmware Interface) that is like some sort of BIOS replacement. The only version of Windows that will boot now on EFI is XP x64, which is 64-bit. However, Core Duo is 32-bit.

#29 Civic

Civic

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:50 AM

Yup, we'll have to wait for Vista (if at all). ;)

http://developer.app...17-CH240-284855

#30 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:11 AM

Don't do it, Davey! Think of the children! :o

#31 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 January 2006 - 01:37 PM

Regardless of the name, the MacBook Pro is all I want in a "PowerBook" upgrade.  I personally have no use for FW800, so the dual core proc and faster system bus easily outweigh some of the missing features.  I do like the fact that they didn't radically alter the case.  If performance is anything like the new iMac I tried (the MacBook booths were too crowded with lots of rude people who like to take cuts) the MacBook Pro or definitely drool-worthy.  Must... ebay... current... Powerbook.
Dual 2.5 GHz G5-RADEON X800 -4 GB RAM-Revo 7.1
MBP 2.0GHz -Mobility RADEON X1600-2 GB RAM

#32 1337

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:56 PM

A2daj... I'm cringing at PB prices on eBay.  By the look of it, I wont get more than $800 for my 1.25 G4 15" with 2 GB of RAM...

:(

#33 1337

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:58 PM

Out of curiosity... why was this thread moved out of Hardware and into Off-topic?  Is this not a hardware thread?

#34 George the Flea

George the Flea

IMG Comma Junkie

• IMG Writers
  • 680 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 04:49 PM

1337, on January 11th 2006, 12:58 PM, said:

Out of curiosity... why was this thread moved out of Hardware and into Off-topic?  Is this not a hardware thread?

While the MacBook is certainly a piece of hardware, it doesn't have much to do directly with games.  Or so I would assume BattleCat was thinking.
Ian
IMG Flunky

Me + web = Beckism.com | Tagamac | One Crayon

#35 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:43 PM

*grabs pitchfork, tar, and feathers*  ;)
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#36 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:09 PM

1337, on January 11th 2006, 12:58 PM, said:

Out of curiosity... why was this thread moved out of Hardware and into Off-topic?  Is this not a hardware thread?

View Post

George the Flea, on January 11th 2006, 02:49 PM, said:

While the MacBook is certainly a piece of hardware, it doesn't have much to do directly with games.  Or so I would assume BattleCat was thinking.

View Post

The name of this website is Inside Mac Games, these are their forums.  The forum description for "Hardware" is "Video and audio cards, controllers, etc.", in other word, gaming related hardware.  Any other hardware discussion goes into the Off Topic forum.  If your topic was more in the line of, "Will my MacBook's CPU and Vid card be up to playing Doom 3" then it would have been in the right place.  Or, "How much memory do I need in my MacBook to play WoW?".  The topic was not gaming hardware related and as such was Off Topic material where the forum description is "Any discussion not related to Mac gaming."  It was as simple as that, purely a function of keeping like information together.  :)
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#37 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:46 PM

the change from powerbook is necessary due to licensing.. its the PowerPC architecture in a powerbook, and (i think) IBM owns the rights to the title Power, for their Power processors... so basically, apple had to get rid of the power in the title. Because its a mac first and foremost, and an intel machine hidden away, they decided to go with macbook.

also note that the ibook has book in its title too. thus suggesting a continuity across the range, as theyre all 'books'.

imac is a completely different matter, as the i[whatever] set of hardware and applications are commonly associated with apple, and the trademarks are owned by apple...

i also expect the ibook to retain its name, whilst the towers will either be called Mac Pro or MacTower Pro... more likely the former than the latter.

oh, and 1337, if you take out some of the RAM and sell it separately i reckon youll get more money. Most people dont notice how much RAM a machine has, just what the CPU speed/GPU is.

and finally, on the subject of the dropped Firewire800. It was never implemented properly by apple, and the returns for splashing out on a device with it in was never really returned. Firewire is still plenty fast, especially for a laptop. Also, if you can afford and regularly use an external Firewire800 HDD, then I personally believe youll be more likely to have a tower, with FW800...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#38 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:57 PM

1337, on January 10th 2006, 11:22 AM, said:

Drool at THIS!

Assuming the site can bear the additional traffic...

:D

View Post

now, if only i had a spare $2,500 lying around the house.

#39 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:03 PM

teflon, on January 11th 2006, 09:46 PM, said:

the change from powerbook is necessary due to licensing.. its the PowerPC architecture in a powerbook, and (i think) IBM owns the rights to the title Power, for their Power processors... so basically, apple had to get rid of the power in the title. Because its a mac first and foremost, and an intel machine hidden away, they decided to go with macbook.

Nope, sorry, the first PowerBooks were 68K machines, not PPC.  Power just means, you know, um, "power."  As in "powerful, fast, etc."

Actually, it's even more of a moot point than that.  Apple has never had a Power machine.  Power and PPC are different.  G5 is derived from Power4, but it's not Power.  It's a desktop CPU and believe me, you do NOT want a Power processor in your laptop!  You think they're hot now!  Plus Power4 costs like $5000 per chip....

--Eric

#40 Civic

Civic

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:08 PM

Eric5h5, on January 11th 2006, 10:03 PM, said:

Nope, sorry, the first PowerBooks were 68K machines, not PPC.  Power just means, you know, um, "power."  As in "powerful, fast, etc."

--Eric

View Post

...and later on it became the meaning for Power as in PowerPC -> PowerMac. Wanting to have "Mac" in the name wasn't the only reason for the change, it was also necessary because of the separation from the PPC technology.