Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17434 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:24 PM

View PostHuntn, on February 17th 2006, 05:01 AM, said:

Who said Macs don't get viruses?

http://www.macworld....oompa/index.php
Now you can wonder if your antivirus will notice it. :)
-Hunt'n
Nope.  Not wondering.  My Intego Virusbarrier automatically updated its virus defs mid month for this Trojan horse.  It was unusual enough that I checked it out on their website to see what was up.

http://www.intego.com/news/pr76.asp
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#42 Stop, Drop, and Roll

Stop, Drop, and Roll

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 02:25 PM

They also talk about the Leap.A trojan on the BBC website.
http://news.bbc.co.u...ogy/4723390.stm

#43 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 04:14 PM

View PostCunctator, on February 17th 2006, 08:28 AM, said:

Of course there are hazardful virii on OS9... but was there a reasonable risk? No...

I maintained a school computer lab for a while, and we somehow managed to run into lots of <=OS9 viruses despite your claims that it's unreasonable. It's a good idea to keep your system patched, your permissions set, and your data backed up because the risk is there.

edit: somehow the quoted name got screwed up. sorry.

#44 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 08:41 PM

View Postbobbob, on February 17th 2006, 05:14 PM, said:

I maintained a school computer lab for a while, and we somehow managed to run into lots of <=OS9 viruses despite your claims that it's unreasonable. It's a good idea to keep your system patched, your permissions set, and your data backed up because the risk is there.

What? When did I say that?
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#45 Stop, Drop, and Roll

Stop, Drop, and Roll

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 12:28 PM

Apple's ode to hackers
http://www.cnn.com/2...m.ap/index.html

#46 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:36 AM

The latest article in PC World about security cites Quicktime and iTunes as having security holes, not viruses created, just the potential for Mac users.

-Hunt'n

#47 monkeyphonix

monkeyphonix

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:34 PM

I manage a mixed network of 25 macs and 5 PCs and when I joined the company the place was crawling with viri. While there are no mac specific nasties yet (other than that Leap A Trojan) if Apple does increase it's market share then its a question of time.

Might I also add that the macs are just as susceptible to the joys of the Microsoft Office Macro viruses? It took me several months to eradicate the nasty little Marker.ag macro off my servers. So I have Symantec 10 running on all macs now and it still oftenr reports that some of my old email archives on my IMAP server are infected. Nothing dangerous just annoying since all users were spreading because it copies itself to the word template (.dot) file so all new documents became automatically infected.

Symantec Corporate automatically updates

#48 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:18 PM

View Postmonkeyphonix, on February 21st 2006, 09:34 PM, said:

there are no mac specific nasties yet

This week it's been publicized that Safari/Finder/Mail have a huge and exploitable flaw. Basically, the Finder checks one of the files it spams archives with to see if a file is executable. Safari's 'open safe files' option doesn't, but passes it to the Finder to open. You archive a shell script, its meta data file, and make a web-page that loads the archive (no user interaction other than looking at a web page) and you now own the user's computer. Mail, of course, has no safe files option, so it just opens it when you view the message ;)

Now, the safe files option is OK - as long as Apple checks the files the right way, which they didn't.

#49 kardinal

kardinal

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:57 AM

View PostHippieman, on January 23rd 2006, 06:23 AM, said:

A quick read about viruses/spyware on the mac

For those who don't want to dig through it, basically without an admin password, a program can completely erase anything in your user space.  

Your iPhoto library?  Gone.
Mp3s?  Gone.
Documents?  Gone.

Access to every address in your address book and email client?  Check.

The ability to transmit this information to any place on the internet?  Check.

Administrator Password?  Not needed.

Honestly who cares if you erase all the information found in the system library?  You've got that on CD (or DVD).  But all the content in your user space?  Well that's YOUR stuff, and it's all at risk.
Amen - your personal content is indeed far more important than the OS stuff. An OS you can always reinstall, it'll only take a short while to install everything and a while longer to set it up depending on how far you've customised it.

But personal content, including years worth of study and work, music, pictures and so on are far more valuable to me than anything that resides in /System and /Library.

#50 Lemon Lime

Lemon Lime

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:42 PM

View PostDamien, on January 13th 2006, 03:26 PM, said:

I also worry about this.

We take our secrity for granted! Surely we are setting ourselfs up for an attack. Also I would not want to spread a windows virus either, this network is full of viruses and I do not understand what happens. Do the windows virueses (worms) stay on my system and never activite? Or do they not come into the mac?

How does it work? Can we still be spreading worms?

http://www.macworld....oompa/index.php

#51 Zab329

Zab329

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 06:48 PM

I dont know if this was mentioned to be honest i didint read all the posts but there is another sneaky little virus. Many of you probebly know it from your PC friends. It gets into aim and then sends everyone on ur buddy list the virus. And BAM!. but anyway. Its fianlly arrived to the mac. Heres the full article. MAC VIRUS
"So we went to Atari and said, 'Hey, we've got this amazing thing, even built with some of your parts, and what do you think about funding us? Or we'll give it to you. We just want to do it. Pay our salary, we'll come work for you.' And they said, 'No.' So then we went to Hewlett-Packard, and they said, 'Hey, we don't need you. You haven't got through college yet.'" -- Apple Computer Inc. founder Steve Jobs

#52 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17434 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 06:52 PM

Leap-A was linked to several times.  You really should read the thread you are posting in.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat