#21 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 09:45 AM

View PostGreg Gant, on January 22nd 2006, 02:54 AM, said:

Anyhow, as of right now there isn't much point of Mac virus protection. Malware is more likely to arise if Apple starts to experience remarkable sector growth as there's profit to be made. Spreading a virus/worm/malware quickly is incredibly hard as there just simply not enough Mac users.

I've said this before, and I guess I have to say it again: that line of reasoning just doesn't hold up.  How do you explain the dozens of OS 9 viruses?  It's very easy to spread them, too...because OS 9 is not a secure OS.  I've seen a couple myself at one company around here, even though there are hardly any other people left who are running OS 9.  If there's any way for a virus to spread, it will, and it really has little to do with the number of people using the OS.  It's a matter of security.

--Eric

#22 Shadowfury333

Shadowfury333

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 07:30 PM

View PostEric5h5, on January 22nd 2006, 07:45 AM, said:

I've said this before, and I guess I have to say it again: that line of reasoning just doesn't hold up.  How do you explain the dozens of OS 9 viruses?  It's very easy to spread them, too...because OS 9 is not a secure OS.  I've seen a couple myself at one company around here, even though there are hardly any other people left who are running OS 9.  If there's any way for a virus to spread, it will, and it really has little to do with the number of people using the OS.  It's a matter of security.

Then don't use OS 9.

Also, something that you all seem to be forgetting is that a virus/malware/worm would need the admin(and sometimes root) password, which is extremely well protected, and must always be explicitly entered for anything touching the system. The only risk is if you do a lot of AFP contact (Go->Connect to Server) and login to your admin account, as that is insecure, and the password could be taken from that. Otherwise, the virus/malware/worm would only have guest access, and unless you've enable read and write privileges for all of your files to guests(in which case, you deserve a virus for your stupidity), it can't do much.

#23 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 11:04 PM

View PostShadowfury333, on January 22nd 2006, 07:30 PM, said:

a virus/malware/worm would need the admin(and sometimes root) password

Why? What can't it do as you that isn't bad enough?

#24 Shadowfury333

Shadowfury333

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 11:29 PM

View Postbobbob, on January 22nd 2006, 09:04 PM, said:

Why? What can't it do as you that isn't bad enough?

Eliminate your computer's ability to boot. Delete the entire system. That sort of thing.

#25 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:22 AM

View PostShadowfury333, on January 22nd 2006, 08:30 PM, said:

Then don't use OS 9.

:slaps forehead: OMG, why didn't I think of that!!!!!!!!

--Eric

#26 Hippieman

Hippieman

Freeverse Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:23 AM

A quick read about viruses/spyware on the mac

For those who don't want to dig through it, basically without an admin password, a program can completely erase anything in your user space.  

Your iPhoto library?  Gone.
Mp3s?  Gone.
Documents?  Gone.

Access to every address in your address book and email client?  Check.

The ability to transmit this information to any place on the internet?  Check.

Administrator Password?  Not needed.

Honestly who cares if you erase all the information found in the system library?  You've got that on CD (or DVD).  But all the content in your user space?  Well that's YOUR stuff, and it's all at risk.
Marathon: Durandal
The Ultimate Marathon experience
Reverof Nohtaram

#27 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:00 AM

As a general rule, only Trojan horses need your permission to do their thing. Worms, viruses, etc. tend to use bugs in system software to gain root privileges.

#28 Stop, Drop, and Roll

Stop, Drop, and Roll

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:46 PM

View PostShadowfury333, on January 22nd 2006, 07:30 PM, said:

AFP contact (Go->Connect to Server)
Is this the same as connecting to game servers?

#29 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3512 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:37 AM

View PostShadowfury333, on January 23rd 2006, 12:30 PM, said:

The only risk is if you do a lot of AFP contact (Go->Connect to Server) and login to your admin account, as that is insecure, and the password could be taken from that.
I was under the impression that OS X's AFP is tunnelled through SSH and hence never sends your password in the clear. At least, it warned me on a few occasions that the server I was connecting to did not support SSH, so I assumed that the rest of the time it was using it.

View PostStop, Drop, and Roll, on January 24th 2006, 10:46 AM, said:

Is this the same as connecting to game servers?
No.

#30 iEvan

iEvan

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 357 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:44 PM

Good news today as Symantec announced that they will be making Norton 10 available to work on Intel Macs. Personally I don't run anti-virus software on my Mac, nor do I tell my Mac customer's to purchase it.... but it is always good piece of mind to have that option there if I ever need it.

The switch to Intel was also a point where Symantec had the chance to review their product line up and decide if it was worth the investment of creating a version of Norton for the Intel Macs. Good to see that our market is still appealing to them to make the effort.

Now if only Peter Norton would come to my MUG meetings and do a song and dance as to why I should install it.

Remember guns don't kill people... Pfhor do.

#31 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:34 PM

View PostiEvan, on January 26th 2006, 09:44 PM, said:

Good news today as Symantec announced that they will be making Norton 10 available to work on Intel Macs.

That's good news? Even if they charge only $20, I'd take half your ram and swap your 7200 RPM  hard drive for my 4200 RPM one for free. Let's see them beat that.

ClamAV is a better option.

#32 iEvan

iEvan

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 357 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:10 AM

View Postbobbob, on January 27th 2006, 12:34 AM, said:

That's good news?

It is good news because the day that North America's largest security company drops support for the Mac... suggests that we aren't a viable market.

#33 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3512 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:17 AM

View PostiEvan, on January 28th 2006, 12:10 AM, said:

It is good news because the day that North America's largest security company drops support for the Mac... suggests that we aren't a viable market.
Again -- the suggestion that the Mac isn't a viable market for anti-virus software is a bad thing??

#34 iEvan

iEvan

Heroic

• IMG Writers
  • 357 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:11 AM

View PostTesseract, on January 27th 2006, 10:17 AM, said:

Again -- the suggestion that the Mac isn't a viable market for anti-virus software is a bad thing??

If they drop the product line... we are left with companies that aren't top of their class for defending us from when viruses do become an issue. Now don't get me wrong.. as I said before, I don't run anti-virus software and I have convinced countless customers from purchasing such a product. Just in my mind if viruses became an issue, wouldn't you feel a touch safer with Norton behind you? This is all theory as there really isn't anything to be scared about yet.. but I imagine it will be just a matter of time as Apple increases their market share. It is something that I am not looking forward to. Sometimes it is better to be second best.

I have customers that don't have the choice to run anti-virus software or not. If they have a computer at work, they are forced to install Norton or else they will not be allowed to use their computer on the network. I know it seems ludicrous, but the IT powers that be for the Canada-wide company believe in their PC-blindness that every computer has to have anti-virus protection.. even the Macs. If Norton wasn't there as an option, then they would question using the Macs and just replace them with PCs. This is quite commonplace in a few companies that I have sold products too... it just amazes me.

#35 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 02:07 PM

View PostiEvan, on January 27th 2006, 10:11 AM, said:

If they drop the product line... we are left with companies that aren't top of their class

They aren't the top of their class in the first place, so that shouldn't be a problem ;)

#36 Cunctator

Cunctator

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:26 PM

View PostEric5h5, on January 22nd 2006, 04:45 PM, said:

--Eric

Well, you're wrong and your logic is faulty. It's like you are confusing hazard with risk. Both are related, but it's actually risk = probability times hazard. Hazard is the potential negative impact of a virus. You can do nothing that lowers the hazard of virii, what you can do is reduce the risk that you are affected by lowering the probability (ie dont connect to the net, use the Mac platform which is a non-target for most virii etc). Of course there are hazardful virii on OS9... but was there a reasonable risk? No...

I work with Macs since 12 years or so, and my Mac is everyday on the net, within an organization that is attacked every day... I share a lot of files between servers and per eMail. I have no Virus scanner and dont need one, because the risk is already very low.

#37 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 08:17 PM

View PostCunctator, on January 27th 2006, 08:26 PM, said:

Well, you're wrong and your logic is faulty.

I'm right and my logic is flawless.  Since I'm not quite able to figure out what you're trying to say, I'm just going to leave it at that.  :)

--Eric

#38 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 10:58 PM

Just send any questionable files to a friend/co-worker with a pc :devil: . If there is a virus in a file you send, you will probably hear about it.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#39 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 07:01 AM

Who said Macs don't get viruses?

http://www.macworld....oompa/index.php

Now you can wonder if your antivirus will notice it. :)
-Hunt'n

#40 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 08:28 AM

View PostHuntn, on February 17th 2006, 08:01 AM, said:

Who said Macs don't get viruses?

http://www.macworld....oompa/index.php
Now you can wonder if your antivirus will notice it. :)
-Hunt'n

Technically it isn't a virus. The user needs to open it, and they need to have root access to the machine for it to screw up the system. If you are using Safari, it would warn you that you were installing an application.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive