#61 orca

orca

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:05 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on February 9th 2006, 06:46 AM, said:

Just got around to try it on my iMac 500. The Complete version is DEFINATELY slower on all things compared to the original. Actually it now feels so slow that I wont play it on this machine.. :(

I'm on a PowerBook 800, and the thing that really gets me is the fact that the sound effects are not synchronized with the graphics. Opening the 'pedia always plays the paper-turning sound, and then the actual pages appear a couple seconds later. I did manage to reduce the delay by turning off Quartz text smoothing, so maybe it's more a result of my poor graphics card.

SMAC definitely feels a lot faster, but I wish it had Civ3C's option to consume less CPU time!

#62 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 February 2006 - 11:16 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on February 9th 2006, 05:46 AM, said:

Just got around to try it on my iMac 500. The Complete version is DEFINATELY slower on all things compared to the original. Actually it now feels so slow that I wont play it on this machine.. :(

Wow, that's surprising. How are you measuring performance? If you can give me something to go on, I'll try a  comparison test here and see if I can fix it.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#63 Oncle Boris

Oncle Boris

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 06:30 PM

I've been playing the game for a few days now, and I've noticed the following problems:

1. Many sound effects don't play. The music plays but stutters a lot, everytime a calculation is done. Battle sounds don't play, and neither do the foot/horse steps sounds when you move a unit. Fortify, bombardment, unit death, background (wolves howling) sounds all seem to work normally.

2. On the advisors screen, there seems to be a slight problem, mainly with the Military (F3) and the Scientific (F6). There is a hint on the text box on the upper right corner that auto-updates itself. When it does, the screen is redrawn, which takes 2-3 seconds during which nothing can be done.

Noteworthy is the size of saved games files. I remember the PC version had the same issue, which was eventually addressed in a patch (they compressed the files). The port doesn't seem to do it, which makes for an heavy save folder.

#64 eschatz

eschatz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 06:57 PM

These problems are not specific to you, which is the good news. I have them too. The solution on the other hand.....is still unknown.
Edward

#65 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:18 PM

View PostOncle Boris, on February 19th 2006, 07:30 PM, said:

Noteworthy is the size of saved games files. I remember the PC version had the same issue, which was eventually addressed in a patch (they compressed the files). The port doesn't seem to do it, which makes for an heavy save folder.

Hello Oncle Boris!   :)

Compressed save files were done away with in one of the later vanilla Civ3 patches because users had complained about the increased delay (due to compression) time between turns.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#66 totallywhacked

totallywhacked

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:26 AM

Hey folks,

I am really glad people are now posting their various problems with Civilization III Complete on this thread, who cares if it wasn't titled "post bugs here:" . The reason I'm glad is that Brad Oliver who was the master mac programmer who did the porting of it for us, has been very receptive, in this thread, to having people send him their bugs or alleged bugs. As you can see, if you go back a post or three, he is reading this occasionally. So.... keep going and if you have questions about what you need to include in reporting the alleged bugs, I think Mr. Oliver provided an email address.

-totallywhacked

edited:
Ah here it is: Brad said "Send your bugs to me at   brad@aspyr.com  "
But you may as well post a running acount here as too.

#67 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3779 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:51 AM

View PostBrad Oliver, on February 11th 2006, 06:16 PM, said:

Wow, that's surprising. How are you measuring performance? If you can give me something to go on, I'll try a  comparison test here and see if I can fix it.
Thats just about everything. Its just _slower_.

From starting a game to moving around with units, scrolling the map, opening advisor screens. Anything.

I'll try to dig around with a few options to see if I can clear anything out!
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#68 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:14 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on February 20th 2006, 08:51 AM, said:

Thats just about everything. Its just _slower_.

How about you give me one specific thing? I've got both copies here, along with a PC and a stopwatch. In my tests, map scrolling and pulling up the Civilopedia perform at roughly the same time on 3 similar configs. How are you determining that it's slower? Are you actually doing a side-by-side comparison or are you "remembering" it to be faster?
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#69 eschatz

eschatz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:04 PM

Brad, with all due respect (and we've communicated via e-mail about this a bit), is it acknowledged that there is a problem with missing sounds and is there a fix in the works? I remember this being a similar problem with the original MacSoft port so I was hoping to see it solved here.
Edward

#70 Oncle Boris

Oncle Boris

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:16 PM

Yeah, the sounds bug would be the nicest to solve ;)

#71 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:03 AM

View Posteschatz, on February 20th 2006, 02:04 PM, said:

Brad, with all due respect (and we've communicated via e-mail about this a bit), is it acknowledged that there is a problem with missing sounds and is there a fix in the works?

Yes and yes.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#72 eschatz

eschatz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:42 AM

Thank you. Per the speed, I do not believe this port is slower. The game does suffer music stutters when the computer is computing the turn and it does slow down greatly in the 17th century and ownwards. However, relative to the old port, I do not feel it is slower. I would argue this edition is "consistent." While I wish the turns could be lightning fast, that just isn't going to happen.
Edward

#73 AlanH

AlanH

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 03:45 PM

View Postdojoboy, on February 20th 2006, 01:18 AM, said:

Hello Oncle Boris!   :)

Compressed save files were done away with in one of the later vanilla Civ3 patches because users had complained about the increased delay (due to compression) time between turns.
That's true of autosaves, but not for manual saves. In fact, CFC Game of the Month and the related competitions require uploaded saves to be compressed using the in-game compression format built into all current PC versions of the game.

I have a beta version of a compression utility that will do this. As it is scriptable it can also be used as a folder action to compress your autosaves, and could be adapted to move them to an archive directory so that you can archive a whole game. I have a couple of things to do to it, and a little more testing, and then I'll be posting it for users to beat up.

#74 eschatz

eschatz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 03:36 PM

The latest Aspyr newsletter mentioned the patch should be out sometime after that was published, any idea when it's coming?
Edward

#75 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 03:57 PM

View Posteschatz, on May 16th 2006, 02:36 PM, said:

The latest Aspyr newsletter mentioned the patch should be out sometime after that was published, any idea when it's coming?
Sorry, it got hung up as we tried to roll in the Universal intel code, and that caused all kinds of hell to break loose with multiplayer games.  We're putting everything back together and trying to get it out the door.

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#76 eschatz

eschatz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 04:10 PM

Thanks for the fast reply. No worries. It's just one of my favorite games. :)
Edward

#77 Thinine

Thinine

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:50 PM

I've been getting a lot of crashes in QuickTime since the 7.1 update. And I've noticed the sound problems as well.

On a side note, Civ3 is really horrible in some ways. I can't wait until Civ4 is out so I can get my fix from a better game.

#78 Fourth Horseman

Fourth Horseman

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 05:43 PM

View PostGlendaAdams, on May 16th 2006, 03:57 PM, said:

Sorry, it got hung up as we tried to roll in the Universal intel code, and that caused all kinds of hell to break loose with multiplayer games.  We're putting everything back together and trying to get it out the door.
Glenda

Oooh! A universal binary version will be great for the new CivBook, err... MacBook that I picked up.  ;)
- FH -
MacBook Pro 15" (2010): 2.53 GHz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, Hi-Res (1680x1050) display, MacOS X 10.7.1
PowerMac G5: dual 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Radeon 9600 PC & Mac Edition, Dell U2410 24" LCD, MacOS X 10.5.8
PC: Core i7 960 3.6 GHz, Asus P6X58D mobo, 12 GB DDR3-2000MHz RAM, Radeon HD5970, Samsung 245BW 24" LCD, Win 7 64bit