#1 totallywhacked

totallywhacked

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 01:40 AM

Hi mac gamers,

So I'm sure everyone has heard about "Civ III complete" comeing to the mac, maybe only half a year before Civ iv gets here...but who knows.

I had 3 magor complaints about civ III:

1) Slow. Will the new port be faster? anyone have an inside scoop?

2) polllution. There is so much wrong with the pollution I dont know where to start. in big games, it  becomes a serious annoyance. Computer players dont even seem to clean up half the time.
Autocleanup for engineers just sucked.

3) Navy and aircraft: I hated the changes from civ II.......in my opinion, navies in civ III were worthless. As for aircraft...
well you need fighters to protect from enemy bombers. But bombers were usless. They could damage cities...yes...but I don't want to damage cities...I want to occupy them with all their improvements. They could damage roads....and that was okay...but not really worth the cost. they were terrible at attacking units.

Is this changed in Civ III complete? is it changed in civ iv?

I appreciate input from anyone who actually knows something

#2 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 19 December 2005 - 04:48 AM

As I got it, the new port will be a bit more optimised. Brad Oliver - who is doing the port - posted about this a few weeks ago in this forum.

Regarding 2 & 3: since this has nothing to do with the port but with the game mechanics of Civ III, there is no change to expect. By the way: the pollution is supposed to be an annoyance. And there is no way at all to occupy a city with all its improvements. Most improvements are lost when you move your troops into it. Even without prior bombing.

Some of your issues are supposed to be dealt with in Civ IV - like the pollution and the worker automation. But Civ IV is still some months away...

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#3 AlanH

AlanH

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 05:01 AM

Hi

1. I've seen comments by Brad Oliver, the developer, that he's improved the CPU usage in the Aspyr version of Civ3, and also has a CPU saving option to further reduce CPU hogging. Dunno if this is an answer to your questions, but until we see the real thing it's all speculation.

I'm pretty sure Civ3 Complete will have the same game rules as the PC versions. Aspyr's job is to port what exists, not to change it.

2. I just assemble several stacks of workers and keep them handy to jump on pollution and clean it in one turn as it arrives. Can't remember the stack size now, but a single stack is used on level ground, two on a hill, three on a mountain. With roads or rails everywhere they can move and clean on the same turn. When there's no pollution they can rail up remaining tiles or lean on their shovels.

3. I've found bombers good as an alternative to artillery. Sure they destroy buildings, but the AI does that pretty effectively anyway when you invade. All the culture buildings go, and they seem to sell off most of the others as soon as they are under severe threat. In any case, the improvements are not much use to you. They cost upkeep, and usually the corruption in a captured core is so high that the production is one coin and one shield, regardless of what you build. By that stage of the game you should have both your cores well established, so you are not going to move your palace to a newly captured core to reduce its corruption.

I believe there's no pollution in Civ4 except for nuclear fallout, and they've tried to reduce the micromanagement generally. I've seen comments that strong navies are important for archipelago maps. Other than that I can't answer on improvements in Civ4 as I've never played it. I do know that we've had over 450 entries for our first CFC Civ4 Game of the Month so far, which is almost twice the biggest entry we ever had for Civ3 games. So it seems very popular.

#4 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

Awesome Developer Dude Guy

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts
  • Steam Name:hoserama99
  • Steam ID:hoserama99
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:03 AM

AlanH, on December 19th 2005, 04:01 AM, said:

1. I've seen comments by Brad Oliver, the developer, that he's improved the CPU usage in the Aspyr version of Civ3, and also has a CPU saving option to further reduce CPU hogging. Dunno if this is an answer to your questions, but until we see the real thing it's all speculation.

View Post

To expand on this a bit, I don't believe the new port will be noticeably faster (or slower!) than the MacSoft version. It will, however, not suck up as much CPU time. This means, in practical terms, that if you're running it on a G5 tower or a PowerBook, you won't hear the fan turn on as much and you'll have longer battery life.

As AlanH said, there's an option in the new version to control this, on the off chance that the frugal CPU usage causes performance issues (I don't believe it does, but maybe I'm not as fussy as some).
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#5 totallywhacked

totallywhacked

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 02:56 PM

Hey thanks for the feedback guys.

Hmm...so what really IS different about civ III complete as opposed to the old civ III?

#6 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:35 PM

totallywhacked, on December 19th 2005, 03:56 PM, said:

Hey thanks for the feedback guys.

Hmm...so what really IS different about civ III complete as opposed to the old civ III?

View Post

It includes the two expansions (PtW and Conquests, aka C3C), plus MP (Mac to Mac).
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#7 totallywhacked

totallywhacked

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:36 PM

Does anyone know if patch 1.29f   is rolled into the new build?

#8 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:19 PM

totallywhacked, on December 19th 2005, 07:36 PM, said:

Does anyone know if patch 1.29f   is rolled into the new build?

View Post

Civ3 Complete is an entirely different application than Civ3 1.29f.  In terms of versions, Civ3 Complete is 1.22f and holding.

#9 ajmas

ajmas

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 04:05 AM

Shame the multi-player mode is Mac only. I had looked at the new mutliplayer mode as a way to play against my friends who own the PC version, yet had not updated to Civ4. Looks like I'll be waiting and hoping that Civ4 for the Mac will allow me to play against PC users. Oh well.

#10 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 03 January 2006 - 07:49 AM

Strange, I found the original CivIII to run great. It rocks on a iMac 500, and was even playable, albeit slow, on an iMac 233. And thats in OSX.

I for one is looking forward to the new units and landtiles in the expansions. I do hope though, that we get ONE installer, and not 3 seperate ones for each expansion and the game. :/

But i agree on the bombers.. Artillery was useless too. Tanks all the way baby, YEAH!
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#11 wookitus

wookitus

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 02:21 AM

ajmas, on January 3rd 2006, 03:05 AM, said:

Shame the multi-player mode is Mac only. I had looked at the new mutliplayer mode as a way to play against my friends who own the PC version, yet had not updated to Civ4. Looks like I'll be waiting and hoping that Civ4 for the Mac will allow me to play against PC users. Oh well.

View Post

I went to the aspyr booth at Macworld today and asked some questions about civ III.  Apparently it uses a serial number scheme to prevent you from using it in multiplayer games with a single copy of the game.  Since the game costs $50, to play it on your home network would between two people would cost $100.  Eeks.  I know they do this with a lot of games these days, but for a game thats many years old now, thats pretty bad.  I understand restricting internet play since they don't want people pirating the game over the net...but in your own home network??  For owners of the original mac civ III port, $100 :blink:  to add multiplayer capabilities in your own home seems a bit steep, especially since the new port only adds a new units and scenarios if you bought it only for the single player capabilities.  

I think I'll wait for Civ 4...  :(

#12 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 02:20 PM

wookitus, on January 12th 2006, 01:21 AM, said:

I went to the aspyr booth at Macworld today and asked some questions about civ III.  Apparently it uses a serial number scheme to prevent you from using it in multiplayer games with a single copy of the game.  Since the game costs $50, to play it on your home network would between two people would cost $100.

View Post

I don't think this scenario came up during testing. We may be able to fix it so that it doesn't do a serial check for LAN-only play. I'll post a follow-up here if that ends up happening.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#13 eschatz

eschatz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:51 PM

Why is "Play the World" an unsupported application? Just got the game today....
Edward

#14 Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1692 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:10 AM

View Posteschatz, on January 15th 2006, 08:51 PM, said:

Why is "Play the World" an unsupported application? Just got the game today....

It had almost no beta-testing compared to Conquests/Complete.
Brad Oliver
bradman at pobox dot com

#15 eschatz

eschatz

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:39 PM

I should have been more clear. I thought it was part of Complete therefore it would have support? What is the difference between that app and the Civ Complete app?
Edward

#16 martyjay75

martyjay75

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:42 PM

Anyone know if the new Civ III Complete will work on the older iBooks?  I noticed the system requirements on the aspyr website said it needed a G4 or G5 processor with a DVD drive.  I have an older 600mhz ibook with a DVD drive running on OSX (10.3.9).  Has anyone tried running it on an older Mac?

#17 Kanamit

Kanamit

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:06 PM

View Postmartyjay75, on January 16th 2006, 03:42 PM, said:

Anyone know if the new Civ III Complete will work on the older iBooks?  I noticed the system requirements on the aspyr website said it needed a G4 or G5 processor with a DVD drive.  I have an older 600mhz ibook with a DVD drive running on OSX (10.3.9).  Has anyone tried running it on an older Mac?

I used to run the original Civilization III on a 500 Mhz iBook, and it ran flawlessy. I'm not sure about the new port, but I doubt that the expansion packs would add much if any cpu usage. In my experience if the cpu mhz requirement is pretty low, you can usually run a program that requires a G4 on a G3.

#18 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:46 AM

I'll add my voice to those who bemoan what happened to bobmbers and ships in Civ 3. What I loved about bombers, battleships, and especially howitzers in Civ 2 was their ability to take out troops as opposed to buildings. Even fortified infantry would fall to the mighty howitzer :D

Civ 3 is fun though. It just takes hours and hours to finish a game.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#19 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:39 AM

View Postbookman, on January 17th 2006, 11:46 AM, said:

I'll add my voice to those who bemoan what happened to bobmbers and ships in Civ 3. What I loved about bombers, battleships, and especially howitzers in Civ 2 was their ability to take out troops as opposed to buildings. Even fortified infantry would fall to the mighty howitzer :D

Civ 3 is fun though. It just takes hours and hours to finish a game.

Bombers will sink ships in C3C, as well as kill units.

#20 Damien

Damien

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 03:36 AM

Do we know how fast is it yet?

Especially at later levels
17" Powerbook G4 1.33GHZ
512MB Ram