30 replies to this topic

#1 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 December 2005 - 07:33 PM

Supposedly after one finishes the game and goes though it again Wideload logos can be found that unlock developer commentary.  I've not been able to find any logos even though I've been told where to look to find one.  Is there anybody here who has found a Wideload logo? If so what platform are you playing the game on?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#2 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:57 PM

*edit*

I decided to be nice and help you out.  ;)

I accidentally found three of the Wideload Logos in the farm level called something like "The Fall of Otis."  They're easy to spot for the most part:

The first one can be found by immediately walking toward the small ravine you have to pass through to get to the next area of the level.  On your way, stop by the last scarecrow or two, and you should see the first logo I spotted about five feet away.

The second logo that I found is located near the base of the scarecrow you see as you exit the beforementioned small ravine.

The last logo I found is located in the huge barn where you're treated to that 'special' scene--just walk up the outside ladder to the top floor and head straight toward the far corner of the barn where the logo is hiding in the corner.  Out of the three, this commentary is the most interesting since it deals with the, uh, scene that everyone loves.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#3 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 10:16 AM

Which platform are you playing the game on Quicksilver?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#4 ViralDoctor

ViralDoctor

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 04:42 PM

I found two in the very first area on the Mac version. They look like floating hippo heads, and they gave me some developer commentary. :D

I beat the game first on Normal, and this is second time through on Insane. The first one was at the end of the street away from where the cops were.

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 07:58 PM

Wideload told me several places to look including some of the places you've mentioned.  They just aren't showing up for me.  Looks like I won't be hearing the developer commentary.  Sucks to be me.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 10:30 PM

the Battle Cat, on December 13th 2005, 04:16 PM, said:

Which platform are you playing the game on Quicksilver?

View Post

I'm playing it on the Mac, naturally.  Perhaps I'm seeing them because I'm playing the game on the second-hardest difficulty level.
InsideMacGames.com

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 10:45 AM

Wideload tells me that difficulty level does not matter.  Something is broken either in my DVD or my system.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#8 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 01:12 PM

the Battle Cat, on December 14th 2005, 11:45 AM, said:

Wideload tells me that difficulty level does not matter.  Something is broken either in my DVD or my system.

View Post

Perhaps an upcoming patch will rectify this issue

#9 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 01:19 PM

the Battle Cat, on December 14th 2005, 04:45 PM, said:

Wideload tells me that difficulty level does not matter.  Something is broken either in my DVD or my system.

View Post

If you're interested, I suppose I could record the commentaries that I know about.
InsideMacGames.com

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 03:25 PM

Quicksilver, on December 14th 2005, 11:19 AM, said:

If you're interested, I suppose I could record the commentaries that I know about.

View Post

I would very much appreciate that!  :)

Meanwhile I've reported the problem to Aspyr support.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#11 ozzy

ozzy

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Steam Name:ozzy

Posted 14 December 2005 - 06:41 PM

I stumbled across one of the commentaries on the Farm level while rambling through on of the cornfields...

#12 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 07:49 PM

Yeah rub it in Ozzy!  :D  Today Wideload told me that I should be able to access the commentaries after only completing a level, reaching a save point and then going back to the unlocked level to restart a game in it.  Completing the entire game is not required to unlock commentaries.  I installed the game on my old G4 and ran the game past the first level then went back to the Plaza to re-search the area for logos.  Same with the farm level to look in the corn field.  Wideload told me just where to look in both those areas.  I'm still not finding them so I think the problem is with the game I got on the DVD.  What are the chances of two entirely different computers (a G4 and a G5) running two entirely different operating systems (10.3.9 and 10.4.3) having the exact same problem?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#13 zapranoth

zapranoth

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 12:18 AM

the Battle Cat, on December 14th 2005, 06:49 PM, said:

Yeah rub it in Ozzy!  :D  Today Wideload told me that I should be able to access the commentaries after only completing a level, reaching a save point and then going back to the unlocked level to restart a game in it.  Completing the entire game is not required to unlock commentaries.  I installed the game on my old G4 and ran the game past the first level then went back to the Plaza to re-search the area for logos.  Same with the farm level to look in the corn field.  Wideload told me just where to look in both those areas.  I'm still not finding them so I think the problem is with the game I got on the DVD.  What are the chances of two entirely different computers (a G4 and a G5) running two entirely different operating systems (10.3.9 and 10.4.3) having the exact same problem?

View Post

Ditto.  I have not found any, and I'm working on game runthrough #3.

Would someone please describe for me *exactly* where to find one of these on a given level?
"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard, and floor it.
Floor it.  That's technical talk."   - SRV

#14 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 02:03 AM

As requested, here are the three commentaries in the Otis farm level with screenshots to help you find them.  All you have to do is look for the white circle in the screenshots to guide you toward each Wideload "Hippo" logo.

Commentary 1:
Located near the scarecrow nearest the short valley that you have to walk through to get to the next part of the level.

C1: Start of the level

C1a: At logo #1 . . .

Commentary 1

Commentary 2:
Located next to the first scarecrow you see at the end of the short valley.

C2: End of the short valley

At logo #2 . . .

Commentary 2

Commentary 3:
Hidden in the shadows in the back corner of the barn, top level.

View from the barn's top door

Commentary 3
InsideMacGames.com

#15 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 10:34 AM

Thank you for that Quicksilver!  A lot of effort there, and it is much appreciated.  I went right to those spots and nothing.  At least zapranoth is sharing my misery.  As the official spokesman for "The Logoless Ones", the name of our support group, I'd like give all of you silver-spooned, winners-in-the-lottery-of life, logoed dorks our first official outreach message:  "We hate you guys!"

If anybody else is experiencing this problem please file a bug report on the Aspyr website.  Lets get some action!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#16 GlendaAdams

GlendaAdams

Maverick Software

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 10:36 AM

the Battle Cat, on December 15th 2005, 09:34 AM, said:

Thank you for that Quicksilver!  A lot of effort there, and it is much appreciated.  I went right to those spots and nothing.  At least zapranoth is sharing my misery.  As the official spokesman for "The Logoless Ones", the name of our support group, I'd like give all of you silver-spooned, winners-in-the-lottery-of life, logoed dorks our first official outreach message:  "We hate you guys!"

View Post

Didn't you have some trouble with Stubbs forgetting things in the Profile? I wonder if it could be related to that.  We haven't been able to track down the forgetful profile bug (or reproduce it), so if that is causing the same problem with commentaries it might make sense.

Glenda
Glenda Adams
Maverick Software

#17 ViralDoctor

ViralDoctor

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 01:00 PM

Let the wideload logo hunt begin! ;)

My personal fav. is in the first level, where Mr. Seropian says that for the guide bot, they asked the voice actor to act like "Carol Channing on meth." ;)

#18 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 04:49 PM

GlendaAdams, on December 15th 2005, 08:36 AM, said:

Didn't you have some trouble with Stubbs forgetting things in the Profile? I wonder if it could be related to that.  We haven't been able to track down the forgetful profile bug (or reproduce it), so if that is causing the same problem with commentaries it might make sense.

Glenda

View Post

Bear with me here.  I thought I resolved that problem early on by reading the directions in the Read me, it said to copy the game folder onto the root level.  I had it much higher in the directory originally.  I deleted the game and reinstalled the game on the root level of the hard drive and it remembered my settings after that.  Until today, several days later.  When I went back into the game today to help some one stuck on the contamination level, I realized my custom keys were reset to default again!

As I said, I took the DVD into the next room and installed it on my G4 directly onto the root of the hard drive.  I reported not being able to see the logos on that machine but since I posted that yesterday, it has forgotten my settings on that machine too!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#19 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 05:21 PM

ViralDoctor, on December 15th 2005, 07:00 PM, said:

Let the wideload logo hunt begin! ;)

My personal fav. is in the first level, where Mr. Seropian says that for the guide bot, they asked the voice actor to act like "Carol Channing on meth." ;)

View Post

Awesome, but hold off on quoting the commentary just for now--I think I'll run through the game again and post a complete list of the commentaries.
InsideMacGames.com

#20 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:34 AM

I had a breakthrough last night.  I managed to finally see the logos and listen to some commentary.  There is definitely a bug in the game, something that involves the profile settings.  What I did was to remove the Stubbs folder from user/documents and the Stubbs prefs from user/library/preferences.  I put them in a folder and put the folder into the trash but didn't empty it.  I restarted the game and this time rather than adjust my keyboard controls first thing, I went into the game and played the tutorial and the plaza.  I then went back into the unlocked first level and found the logos right where I thought they should have been the first dozen times I looked for them.

Next I adjusted my preferences, changed some keyboard controls, set the resolution up to 1280x1024.  After restarting the game I was able to go back and find the logos again.  (As an experiment, I dragged my preferences file to the desktop and fired up the game.  I was asked if I wanted to register the game, that was expected.  What I didn't expect was that my custom key settings were still intact and the resolution was still as I had set it to 1280x1024 but it seems logical that values are stored in the profile.)

Anyway, I found if you change your custom key settings first thing, you can't see the logos.  Play the game first and THEN change your custom key settings and you can see the logos.  That's a bug.  Hopefully you should be able to reproduce it.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat