• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Besti

Besti

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:06 PM

hey
i have a g5 dual 2 ghz with 1,5 gb ram and a radeon 9600 pro with 128 mb and i can hardly play this game on 800*600

what can i do to optimise it??
does anyone have problems like this??

thx
besti

#2 Civic

Civic

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 02:01 PM

Turned down/off some settings? Shadows, etc?

#3 Besti

Besti

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 02:38 PM

Civic, on December 5th 2005, 09:01 PM, said:

Turned down/off some settings? Shadows, etc?

View Post

resolution :      800*600
specular:         yes
shadows:         no
decals:            yes
particals:         off
screeneffects:  medium

if i turn on some settings it gets bit more choppy

i can play halo with a 1024*768 resolution and 9x ffaa then it is about the same gameplay
i think i need a new video card ..... dont like the idea cuz this computer is only 4 month old

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17434 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 December 2005 - 02:41 PM

Stubbs is MUCH harder on your video card than Halo.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 ViralDoctor

ViralDoctor

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 04:07 PM

I have a similar setup; Dual 2.5, 2GB of RAM, and the Radeon 9600XT 128 MB card. I have a 17" Cinema display, so I tried to run it in the native resolution of 1280x1024, which didn't work out too well (probably < 15 fps). Turning down the in-game options didn't seem to speed it up.

Running it in a window at 640x480 was fairly playable. I'm surprised a 5200 is a minimum, maybe it's more optimized for NV cards.

Oh, and it hates my Wacom tablet, missing clicks, ignoring mouse movements. Considering I can't play Halo at all with the tablet mouse, it's somewhat better supported in Stubbs. :)

#6 Civic

Civic

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 04:51 PM

What I noticed is that it doesn't recognize my Logitech Dual Action USB gamepad... although the OS and several other games do. :( The menu for gamepads is greyed out and I obviously I can't choose it in the keyboard/mouse setup.

Other than that, it runs fluently even on highest settings and 1280x1024 on my Dual 2.3Ghz G5 with 3.75GB RAM and ATi X800XT. :thumbsup: The graphics don't really impress me, though... I kinda expected more. I'm gonna try ATi Displays and see if some FSAA and AF help.

#7 MacProject

MacProject

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 04:53 PM

Just out of curiosity, how would Stubbs run on a woefully underpowered system like say an eMac 1.25 ghz?  
Any brave souls tried it yet?

#8 Civic

Civic

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 05:58 PM

MacProject, on December 5th 2005, 05:53 PM, said:

Just out of curiosity, how would Stubbs run on a woefully underpowered system like say an eMac 1.25 ghz? 

View Post

Since it requires at least an ATi 9500... it won't run at all on your eMac with an ATi 9200 (32MB). It has a hardware check and won't even start if your Mac doesn't fulfill the requirements.

#9 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 11:13 PM

http://www.insidemac...ndpost&p=242014

Besti, on December 5th 2005, 03:38 PM, said:

resolution :      800*600
specular:         yes
shadows:         no
decals:            yes
particals:         off
screeneffects:  medium

if i turn on some settings it gets bit more choppy

i can play halo with a 1024*768 resolution and 9x ffaa then it is about the same gameplay
i think i need a new video card ..... dont like the idea cuz this computer is only 4 month old
Best I can suggest is either run the minimum effects, or alternately drop to 640x480, possibly using ATi Overrides to add a small amount of FSAA. Stubbs is deceptively intense in its video requirements. If Mac Halo gets a patch in future to bring it to full parity with HaloPC, it might be similar, but Stubbs has no lesser fallback at present.

Unfortunately, a 9600XT is falling well behind the gaming curve and a better card would be a good future investment- things will only continue in this direction.

#10 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 06 December 2005 - 04:14 AM

The 9600 is not much different from the 9500 that is the minimum even. Had I used my Mac more extensively for gaming I would have been rid of it ages ago, but it's good enough for what I play at the time, so it'll stay.
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#11 ShadowTech

ShadowTech

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:25 AM

MacProject, on December 5th 2005, 06:53 PM, said:

View Post

I've tried it on my iBook 14" 1.42GHz. 32MB video RAM.
Oh God.
This thing doesn't even run decently on 640 x 480 with all the graphics settings off.

I suppose I could try it in windowed mode and see if that helps any.
But in short, don't buy this game unless you have the absolute top of the line.

#12 ravenpen

ravenpen

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:55 AM

I'm currently running the game at 1280x1024, my monitors native resolution, with all the settings on High.

The game runs smoothly except for some occasional jerkiness during cut-scenes, though I don't think that's a performance issue.

That being said, I'm running it on a dual 2.7 G5 with two gigs of ram and a GeForce 6800 Ultra and I sometimes get the feeling that it's using every last bit of power just it to make it run smoothly.

It's definitely a great game and I'm having loads of fun with it, but a fairly beefy system with an absolutely top-notch video card seems like a must.
Raven's Tales - A Repository of Thoughts, Yarns and Stories

#13 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17434 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 03:20 PM

I have the same rig with an X850XT.   I haven't noticed the least bit of sluggishness at any time during the game.  Cut scenes seem fine as well.  Something is different, I have 2.5 GB of RAM but that should be significant.  Makes me wonder if some of you folks have background processes hogging CPU cycles.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#14 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 03:41 PM

Besti, on December 5th 2005, 08:06 PM, said:

hey
i have a g5 dual 2 ghz with 1,5 gb ram and a radeon 9600 pro with 128 mb and i can hardly play this game on 800*600

what can i do to optimise it??
does anyone have problems like this??

thx
besti

View Post

Hehe, dont worry I can hardly play this game too...
On 1920x1200.. :D

I think it has to do with the addictional effects layer, I tried to delete all effects, and the performance was the same..

I have the game, now I have to wait for a new graphics card to accually play it.
The X800 is out of stock everywhere, guess that is a good thing, maybe new cards are about to be launched... Worth the wait on both counts iThink.

and I have a 128MB Radeon 9800 and 2.5GB RAM BTW.

W
blowing stuff up in the virtual world since 1994

#15 ravenpen

ravenpen

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 04:14 PM

the Battle Cat, on December 6th 2005, 09:20 PM, said:

I have the same rig with an X850XT.   I haven't noticed the least bit of sluggishness at any time during the game.  Cut scenes seem fine as well.  Something is different, I have 2.5 GB of RAM but that should be significant.  Makes me wonder if some of you folks have background processes hogging CPU cycles.

View Post

As far as I know I haven't had anything other than Stubbs running while I've been playing the game.

Don't get me wrong the game runs great and as I said before I think the cut-scene issue is a random glitch not a performance problem.

I was just trying to indicate that having a high-end system is necessary to run it with all the bells and whistles and people expecting Halo-esc performance are going to be in for a shock.
Raven's Tales - A Repository of Thoughts, Yarns and Stories

#16 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17434 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 07:32 PM

ravenpen, on December 6th 2005, 02:14 PM, said:

I was just trying to indicate that having a high-end system is necessary to run it with all the bells and whistles and people expecting Halo-esc performance are going to be in for a shock.

View Post

I agree.  This is not your father's Halo.  For more information on much of the extra load Stubbs puts on your system, read this interview with Glenda Adams at WideloadGames.org.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#17 WSTE_M

WSTE_M

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 04:49 AM

the Battle Cat, on December 7th 2005, 02:32 AM, said:

I agree.  This is not your father's Halo.  For more information on much of the extra load Stubbs puts on your system, read this interview with Glenda Adams at WideloadGames.org.

View Post

One might say its a pretty... WIDE load...  :D
aint I funny... :)

W
blowing stuff up in the virtual world since 1994

#18 DangerBat

DangerBat

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 03:20 PM

I have a 1.5ghz powerbook with an ATI 9700 64mb and 1gb RAM, but it won't even play on the lowest settings, any ideas?  Any help would be appreciated, I hate that I spent $50 on it when I fall in the requirements and now I can't play it. :(

#19 bloo

bloo

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 04:15 PM

As you can see below I've been in touch with aspyr's tech support about this issue with my dual 2.5 GHz G5 with Radeon 9800 Pro, 2.5 GB of RAM. No ETA on a fix at this time, other than erasing it from the HD and reinstalling (which I honestly haven't tried, think I need to defrag the drive first, which I'm hesitant to do until I get a reliable bootable backup of my HD)

Original Question
Performance is horrible currently. Stuttering/occasional pauses. I don't experience this with other games (World of Warcraft, UT2K4, etc) so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

I have tried turning all in-game options on and off (higher settings = more slowdowns) as well as used ATI Displays control panel to override the game settings (such as disabling vsync)

I'm running the game on my primary display (30" Viewsonic LCD connected through DVI), have tried lower resolutions, windowed vs full screen to no benefit.

Any ideas on why this would be happening with this game only?

Thanks in advance.

Aspyr Media Support Response

Hello, Joe.

We are very much aware of certain anomalies in performance with Stubbs, even on systems that are well above the minimum requirements.  We've been trying to replicate the issue successfully, though, so we can work on a fix or patch of some sort--we appreciate you bearing with us on this.

In the meantime, I would suggest wiping the game from your hard drive and trying it on a fresh install.

Sorry for the inconvenience.  Have a great day!

Aspyr Support Team

For more prompt service, please include all previous correspondence in your replies.
www.aspyr.com/support/

#20 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 04:05 AM

I installed the game last night.

My Mac:

Dual 1.8GHz G5
ATI Radeon 9600
1G RAM
Quarter Terabyte of disk space available
19" GenQ LCD Display

Just for the hell of it I turned it up to 1280 x 1024 @75MHz and was like "JEEEJUS, dats slo!" so I turned it back down to the original 800 x 600 and it runs fairly smoothly. :happy: