#21 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17373 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 December 2005 - 10:50 AM

Batcat, on December 25th 2005, 06:27 AM, said:

Wouldn't this be better in the Tactics thread than the Reviews thread?  :unsure:

Stubbs spoilers in Reviews! :o

View Post

Good point Batcat.  I merged the posts into this tactics thread.

Also Tomatocow, it wouldn't hurt to chuck some gut grenades at him, it does seem to weaken him.  The important thing is that there is no secret upstairs button or lever that I've found.  Just push the buttons at the base of the device and chuck grenades when his shields go down.  Rest often.  You don't have to stop to push a button, and try to keep the machine between him and yourself.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#22 zapranoth

zapranoth

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 12:27 PM

the Battle Cat, on December 25th 2005, 09:50 AM, said:

Good point Batcat.  I merged the posts into this tactics thread.

Also Tomatocow, it wouldn't hurt to chuck some gut grenades at him, it does seem to weaken him.  The important thing is that there is no secret upstairs button or lever that I've found.  Just push the buttons at the base of the device and chuck grenades when his shields go down.  Rest often.  You don't have to stop to push a button, and try to keep the machine between him and yourself.

View Post

I gave up on trying to beat him on the Insane setting.  It was too easy to die with one little error -- mess up eating a civilian and get zapped to death in one volley.

But for any other setting, it isn't too bad if you take your time.  Remember you can hit the switches with the Hand.  Then use up your bombs, and roll the head to him if you've got a shot.  You can also just run up to him and claw him repeatedly, if the difficulty setting isn't Insane.

Yeah, the upstairs is just a time-waster I think, because there's nothing up there to bother with, you can't do anything from up there, and he can shoot you easier.
"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard, and floor it.
Floor it.  That's technical talk."   - SRV

#23 Sternum

Sternum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 08:24 AM

I haven't played Stubbs yet, but reading this thread is like entering the stream of consciousness of a politician while he's simultaneously smoking crack and being lobotomized. Thumbs up!

#24 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17373 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:16 AM

One time I did manage to get Dr. Wye stuck in the upper portion when he tried to follow me up there.  He was an easy target for gut bombs and couldn't get at me.  So there is that to consider.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#25 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:44 PM

Hitting the buttons and shutting down the system five times kills him. :D As I found out.

#26 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17373 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:31 AM

Does the "5 times rule" apply across all difficulty levels or does the number rise as the difficulty level rises?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#27 yllamana

yllamana

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:47 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on January 21st 2006, 01:31 AM, said:

Does the "5 times rule" apply across all difficulty levels or does the number rise as the difficulty level rises?
We beat him on Insane in coop and it can't have taken more than five cycles to kill him. You just send in the hand to cycle the buttons, and if he manages to kill it you lure out a civilian and eat them for another go. His long-range red beam isn't particularly scary, and as long as you keep a good distance from him/the machine, he won't use the horrible green one. No need to hit him extra with anything else (though that was my instinct too).

The realisation that the hand can press the buttons turned the fight from horrible to reasonably entertaining.

Re: throwing Mall Boss Guy off the mall's top floor, I actually did that using the head by accident - he survives. That was on my first play through the encounter, and I was awfully confused as to what I was meant to do next (he made the screaming falling noise and I thought he'd died). I ended up making my way down to the bottom, thinking that maybe I was meant to go outside or something, and found him down there.

#28 Tomatocow

Tomatocow

King of the Cows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2377 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 06:23 PM

I don't know about the difficulty, but it was indeed five cycles before he died (I done counted I did). I think I'm on the normal setting actually. I never tried sending my hand in there I just made sure I approached the tower from directly opposite where the doctor was, then did a mad rush and cycled the buttons, and got the frick out of the room, rested, regained energy, adjusted position according to where the doctor was, and repeated. At no time did I try lobbing grenades at him or anything, it was just a simple run in and press the buttons thing.

#29 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17373 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:09 PM

View Postyllamana, on January 24th 2006, 02:47 PM, said:

Re: throwing Mall Boss Guy off the mall's top floor, I actually did that using the head by accident - he survives. That was on my first play through the encounter, and I was awfully confused as to what I was meant to do next (he made the screaming falling noise and I thought he'd died). I ended up making my way down to the bottom, thinking that maybe I was meant to go outside or something, and found him down there.

I beat that guy by having him follow me down to the ground level and them hopping into one of those planters.  The edge of the planter stops him from getting at you and you can run up to the edge, smack him, dodge back, let him swish his chainsaw, run up to the edge, smack him, dodge back, and so on until he stands there dazed.  Rip his big stupid arm off and beat him with it (No kidding, my mom used to threaten my brother and I with that), he tries to get you one handed but just keep smackin' the snot out of him and then he's daid.

And a count of 5.  Thanks for the research guys!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#30 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 08:28 PM

nah, you go to the wierd escalator lift thing. go to the down one, then step on to it, turn around and keep steady by walking up it just before he get to you. That way if you keep right below him, he cant hit you, but you can hit him plenty. then you just gotta wait till you can rip his arm off...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#31 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17373 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 10:51 AM

HA!  I love using the battlefield as a weapon!  I'm going to try this next time.  Thanks!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#32 benwards

benwards

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:39 AM

I'd just like to add the awesomest arm-tearing quote ever. I tore the arm off of one of the helmeted soldiers, and he screamed, "Ahhhhhh! That was my penis--I mean ARM!"

I couldn't stop laughing for a good five minutes!

#33 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17373 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:10 AM

Now if this was "Lorena the Zombie" it would add a whole new dynamic to the game!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat