#1 D-Pure

D-Pure

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 01:19 PM

Hey guys,

You've probably seen this question far more then once, but since this is an individual styled question, I feel the need to ask.  

I'm at University and I dont have a lot of time to play video games, because of school work, and the copious amount of alcohol that tends to find it's way into my body.  I have been a supporter of Blizzard since Warcraft 2 and Diablo, and I have bought every game since then.  I really would like to play WOW, as it looks incredible and I have heard nothing but praise for it, but I'm not sure if the monthly cost will be worth it with the school work/partying.  I've heard about the system in WOW where you gain exp faster if you leave your account dormant for a certain amount of time.  Can this justify the purchase?

Thanks,
Derek

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 01 December 2005 - 02:43 PM

WoW at this time in your life is definitely not worth it.  Do yourself, your grades, and your future a favor and find a less time consuming and addicting game, one where you can get a game fix for the day quickly and get back to your schooling.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 Morrigan

Morrigan

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 02:44 PM

I can't speak to the value of a game you pay $15/month to play but only play it 5 hours per week, but I can tell you what is going to happen if you buy that game:
1) you'll be a good boy and you'll play only a few hours per week and you'll never go anywhere in the game or play with the same people (online "friends") because your lack of online time will see you left in the leveling dust.
or
2) you'll become addicted and either quit dating, partying, studying, or all three

That's my jaded view on casual WoW play ;)

#4 D-Pure

D-Pure

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 03:16 PM

Haha Well I guess that answers that, and I forgot to factor in the girlfriend :P

Thanks for the advice, It's probably for the best anyways, I have difficult classes next semester (January) and the last thing I need is another distraction :P

But after beating KOTOR 4 times, and having played Diablo 2 WAY too compulsively for awhile, I need to satisfy my RPG fix!!!

Anyways, thanks again
D-rokk

#5 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 05:38 PM

These games may also take up too much of your time (or maybe you've played them to death long ago), but if you need an RPG fix, there's always Neverwinter Nights and its expansions (and the downloadable modules), not to mention Baldur's Gate.

#6 Dark uk

Dark uk

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 06:59 PM

It is a good game, although I would DEFINITLY reccommend you dont get it yet. Enjoy your time at Uni because you WILL get sucked into and one side of your mind will be going 'oh snap I really have to start doing some Homework' or 'I really should head to bed I have an early class tomorrow' and the other side of you mind be going 'Well lets just do this one more quest' or 'just an hour longer' or 'just one more level up' etc.

So you beware the game, dont get it till you leave Uni.

#7 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 07:23 PM

WoW does have a rested xp feature that allows your character to gain xp (experience) faster when you are killing things. You can save up somewhere between 1-2 levels worth of rested xp if your inactive for say 4-7 days (not sure of the exact time needed) and your character is hanging out in a rested zone during that time. Of course you have to kill things to get the xp, but instead of getting say 100 xp for a kill, you'll get 200 xp. You also gain substantial xp by turning in quests. The rested xp feature does not apply to quest rewards. And rested xp will not make up for being inactive for long periods of time.

As to whether you should play WoW or not, I know of several people in college who play the game. Yes, most of them are hopelessly addicted. I too must classify myself as an addict, playing probably 20 hrs per week. But you can also ask yourself, should you be drinking- can you be a casual drinker or will you become an alcoholic? It's something impossible to predict, but the game is very addicting. Happily it does not leave a hangover. :)

Is 5 hours a week worth it? I'd say it's up to you. Leveling occurs rather fast at the lower levels, so you'll feel a sense of accomplishment even at a casual rate of play. My impression is that WoW is better for casual players than some of the other MMORPGs out there (Everquest, GuildWars, etc). Acquiring items for recipes (to make things) are not hideously long, favoring the casual player.

WoW is very level sensitive. As mentioned previously, if you make friendships online or join a guild, you'll see people out-level you. Quests are such that if people you know get out in front completing level(s), they will be doing the next quest on the list. So in essence you can be left behind.

But does that mean the WoW can't be enjoyed on a casual basis? I say it can be very enjoyable as long as you have the discipline not to let it rule your life, and keep it at a casual basis, if that is where it needs to be. If you get into a good guild, there are people who will help you with a quest, but don't plan on that being a regular occurrence. The guild channel is a great source of comrade, even if guild mates are not questing at your level. I always see new characters running around, so you should always be able to find someone at your level to quest with using the Looking-for-Group Channel (/4). And some people create dedicated characters that they only play with each other (say a girl friend) which avoids the being left behind feeling.

Hope this info helps! :)
-Hunt'n

#8 D-Pure

D-Pure

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 04:12 AM

Thanks a lot for your input guys.

With Diablo 2 it never really became an issue of addiction, and this seems quite a bit like it.

I think I will wait a while, but I am trying the 14 day trial to see if it is really the game for me, as I have a few weeks for exams that are no problem. :P

I'm guessing whether I love the game or hate it (Which I'm guessing will be impossible), that I will wait to buy it until I feel that I can dedicate 5+ hours a week to it.  But I also tend to not sleep more then 7 hours a night, and since my workload is quite lax right now, I may end up buying it March-ish.

I really appreciate the suggestions/input though.

Have a good one!
D-rokk

#9 macpete

macpete

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Steam ID:pcristofol

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:54 AM

I'm a typical WoW casual player ... I'm 37, married and my wife isn't keen of videogames.

Well, I've got to agre that life is damn hard in Azeroth for a casual gamer like me and you. You better not suffer from loneliness and choose a solo class like the hunter or the warlock (the hunter is a great solo class).

I can dedicate 5-7 hours a week to it and after 10 months of playing I have been able to level my hunter up to 32 and my warlock up to 25 ... e really humble achievement - I know - but (to tell you the true) I'm still enjoing this game a lot.

IMHO, if you manage to play WoW almost any other day, you will be able to enjoy this game.

Well, let us know if the trial version has convinced you ...

Pietro Cristofoli
Ora d'Aria Team
tumblr

-------------------

#10 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:13 AM

I currently split a WoW account with a co-worker because we both have jobs, wives, children, and interests outside of computer games. I only play three days/week and then maybe only 60-90 minutes at a stretch. Except for the horrible lag on the new Malfurion server Sunday nights, I'd say it's fun. But will I continue it after out three month partnership ends it's current course, don't know yet.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#11 hambone

hambone

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 890 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 09:04 PM

WoW is not inherently addictive, but it will find a way to take over your life if you don't want to deal with it yourself. if you are disciplined and don't have a problem with burning $15 a month (which, lets be honest, is barely 3 beers), WoW would be a great little escape and a great RPG. you can level all the way up to 60 playing solo or with only incidental grouping, so thats not really an issue.

the main problem as i see it is that many of the mechanisms in WoW do not follow a clock. it is quite easy to stretch a five hour time limit into six or seven hours because you "want to do just one more thing". it is also quite hard to walk away from a quest when you are only half-done (though there is little concern with leaving your avatar in a dangerous situation since you can warp back to your home city once an hour). sometimes, it is also hard to tell how much longer a quest will take to finish. all this can add up to playing over your limit.

another problem, as i see it, is that the higher-end game can require a decent amount of travel time. some trips across or to different continents can take 10 mins or more. if you get a delivery quest, these trips will eat up your 5-hour play limit, and will probably reduce your sense of value and satisfaction with teh game. similarly, before you get your mount at level 40, it can take many minutes to walk to your questing area in any given zone.

finally, as with all MMOs and some RPGs, the rate at which you progress levels declines. when it starts to take you multiple weeks to pass one level, you may start to feel that the game isn't worth the money any more.

my feeling is that WoW is a game that, over the long run, would only be enjoyable with 5-10 hours a week or so.

also, play on an PvE ("normal") server. they are much more player friendly because combat is mostly through consent.

#12 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 04:16 PM

macpete, on December 2nd 2005, 08:54 AM, said:

I'm a typical WoW casual player ... I'm 37, married and my wife isn't keen of videogames.

Well, I've got to agre that life is damn hard in Azeroth for a casual gamer like me and you. You better not suffer from loneliness and choose a solo class like the hunter or the warlock (the hunter is a great solo class).

I can dedicate 5-7 hours a week to it and after 10 months of playing I have been able to level my hunter up to 32 and my warlock up to 25 ... e really humble achievement - I know - but (to tell you the true) I'm still enjoing this game a lot.

IMHO, if you manage to play WoW almost any other day, you will be able to enjoy this game.

Well, let us know if the trial version has convinced you ...

View Post

My situation is pretty similar - soloing makes it easier to play in short bursts, although I chose a Druid and a Warlock. I find that as time goes by, I do want to play more and probably manage about 10-12 hours a week now, up from the 6-8 it used to be.

I know I would HATE to be a student and try to juggle this and studies and partying and a girlfriend. But hey, if your life is that rich, I don;t think it could pull you in as much as some people. If you don't have the time to play, you won't

If you are a D2 fan, you'll love this game.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#13 D-Pure

D-Pure

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:33 PM

Hey guys,

Well I'm in the process of playing the 10 day trial, and it is amazing.  I've met some cool people already that play it quite casually, so we've started a little group.  

The graphics are amazing, at one point in Teldrassil, I stopped and just looked at the scenery for a second, and I know I know it's not real, but it's beautiful.  This is my first MMORPG and it only took me about 10 minutes to learn controls, how to get quests, attacks etc.  

Needless to say I ordered it and it's arrival will coincide with the end of exams :D

Thanks a lot for the info on the game and the help!!

D-Rokk

#14 Huntn

Huntn

Verbal Windbag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4074 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 02:09 PM

It worked! Hooked, reeled in, and flopping around in the bottom of the boat. Hehe.

-Hunt'n

#15 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 04:25 PM

Huntn, on December 7th 2005, 02:09 PM, said:

It worked! Hooked, reeled in, and flopping around in the bottom of the boat. Hehe.

-Hunt'n

View Post

:D  :D

His life is no longer his own !!
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#16 D-Pure

D-Pure

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 04:59 PM

bookman, on December 7th 2005, 03:25 PM, said:

:D  :D

His life is no longer his own !!

View Post

Hahaha Well hopefully I can curb my attention to this game.  Generally my self-restraint is fairly good, but this game will definitely test it  :P

Nice analogy with the fishing by the way, as this is true.... Stupid Blizzard, make crappy games :D (JOKING 1000000%)

#17 Tibur

Tibur

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:19 PM

Ever get the feeling that Blizzard is merely the advance team for the Borg?  :P

#18 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 07:46 PM

There was an episode on ST:tNG that dealt with an invading force using addiction to a computer game to make them helpless to resist.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#19 Drizzt

Drizzt

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 01:55 PM

the Battle Cat, on December 8th 2005, 01:46 AM, said:

There was an episode on ST:tNG that dealt with an invading force using addiction to a computer game to make them helpless to resist.

View Post

I remember that episode!  It was called "The Game" wasn't it?  It actually looked like a fun game to play too!  :lol:

#20 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 02:50 PM

Drizzt, on December 8th 2005, 11:55 AM, said:

I remember that episode!  It was called "The Game" wasn't it?  It actually looked like a fun game to play too!  :lol:

View Post

Yes!  Wasn't sure so I looked it up.  First person perspective of the game here.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat