66 replies to this topic

#41 benj

benj

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 05:56 PM

I recieved Stubbs as a Christmas gift and have played it for an hour a two.  I like it, you can hobble all around the city eating brains. I havn't played it long so I can't comment on the length of the game, but I hear it's shorter than most. So far it's entertaining and it seems very funny and spontaneous, which I enjoy. If you like comedy in your games you'll love Stubbs. I'm partial to the Monkey Island series, so I love a well-written comedic game. Personally, I think the graphics are stellar. I suggest if you have 40 bucks laying around go for it. It runs very well on my computer too (see sig for specs).
Dual 1.8 G5 768 MB RAM Radeon 9800  OS:10.4
"holy crap is this really the blood of christ? that guy must've been wasted 24/7!" -Peter Griffin
"They that can give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin

#42 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 10:47 PM

benj, on December 27th 2005, 06:56 PM, said:

I recieved Stubbs as a Christmas gift and have played it for an hour a two.  I like it, you can hobble all around the city eating brains. I havn't played it long so I can't comment on the length of the game, but I hear it's shorter than most. So far it's entertaining and it seems very funny and spontaneous, which I enjoy. If you like comedy in your games you'll love Stubbs. I'm partial to the Monkey Island series, so I love a well-written comedic game. Personally, I think the graphics are stellar. I suggest if you have 40 bucks laying around go for it. It runs very well on my computer too (see sig for specs).

View Post

So your graphics card wasn't a problem then?

What res did you have the game set at, and what were your graphics settings?
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#43 benj

benj

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 03:06 PM

Dark_Archon, on December 27th 2005, 11:47 PM, said:

So your graphics card wasn't a problem then?

What res did you have the game set at, and what were your graphics settings?

View Post

Not at all, and the geforce 5200 in my computer isn't exactly new. I'm not sure on the res and all, have to check when I'm home, but it's probably set fairly high (the graphics are really nice). The cutscenes run extremely well as well, not even a studder.
Dual 1.8 G5 768 MB RAM Radeon 9800  OS:10.4
"holy crap is this really the blood of christ? that guy must've been wasted 24/7!" -Peter Griffin
"They that can give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin

#44 yllamana

yllamana

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 12:33 PM

Well, I have Stubbs now and just finished it (at 5am, whatever that says to you) so I thought I'd comment on it. I have the Xbox version so I can't comment on performance or what the game looks like on x system.

NeverFade, on December 23rd 2005, 02:58 PM, said:

Okay - Well, I have played this game now, after posting this thread.  Other people, from reading this thread seemed to enjoy it.  I however didn't.  Infact, I think that this is the worst game I have ever played, atleast in a long time.

View Post

I'm sorry, but the dance thing instantly trumps any possible problems with the game. I don't think I've ever seen something so funny and unexpected in a video game before. :)

Anyway,

I found the controls took a little getting used to. They probably feel even more out of place on the computer - I wouldn't be surprised. At first I felt the control scheme was one of the bad things about the game, but eventually I started feeling it was quite good.

The gameplay - if you thought Halo was just the same level copy and pasted a thousand times over and you got bored early on, you will have deja vu with Stubbs. I didn't have a problem with it in Halo and I didn't have a problem with it in Stubbs either, but it does suffer from being a bit repetitive.

Controlling Stubbs is fairly easy, though it took me a while to get used to the melee (maybe I'm just slow), and the different special attacks offer good variety and good tactical advantages and disadvantages. The brain eating actually reminds me of Oni, where I'd obsessively try to use the Backbreaker move in every single fight.

The game is generally pretty linear. Fair enough. It may also remind you of Oni, with its realistic environments but high degree of linearity. Fine by me, I loved Oni too. :) One significant problem is that the game provides no "mission objectives" like Halo did, and I guarantee that you will find yourself standing somewhere wondering, "where do I go now?" - probably more than once, too. I count this as one of the game's biggest flaws. In general, though, if you follow the trail of enemies, you'll be going the right way. If you get stuck, go find some more enemies and follow them.

The atmosphere is fantastic. The game has a lot of great moments. The crop fields have been mentioned already. The dance thing cannot be spoiled as it's surely one of the coolest things in a video game ever. The game has some great locales in the city.

Unfortunately, it's not all so rosy. The farm level, it's true, does look like a user-made Quake map. It does play very well, though. Also, some of the interiors of places do look a bit barren.

It often manages to feel like a zombie movie. There's nothing quite like munching on someone's brain, looking over to the other side of the plaza and seeing your zombie minions finishing off a couple more humans. It is very bloody though, excessively so. If you don't like excessive amounts of blood - imagine somewhere between Alien vs Predator and Mortal Kombat - then that might put you off a little. The sound effects might also be a little disturbing. The rating on the box is definitely there for a reason in this case. The sounds aren't intolerable, though (I found Postal's to be intolerable, these are not that bad).

Summary

Pros:
- fantastic atmosphere
- great humour in general
- fairly unique concept

Cons:
- may be repetitive (think Halo)
- graphics/sounds may be a bit disturbing, definitely not a kids' game
- controls may be unwieldy at first

All in all I approve very much and I know I'll be replaying it. :)

P.S. the "Jumping Brain Eat" allows you to eat someone's brain before they're cowering from being beaten up, killing them instantly without having to go through the melee. It's a very powerful and rewarding move if you can pull it off. It's quite difficult to get it right, though. I find that if I miss the first time it's better to go for the standard melee rather than jumping around trying to get it for ages while being shot. :)

Edit: regarding the length, I didn't find it to be particularly short. It was longer than I'd expected, having heard that from virtually everyone. Your mileage may vary, though.

#45 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 01:26 PM

i had a play on it on a friends computer, and its totally ace... Loved it completely, though it does get repetitive, specially in the Police station I found... no matter.

if theyd had directions written on signs and stuff, that wouldve helped a lot... cos youd know where to go, and not get confused or disorientated...

It ran alright on his iBook, but there were some definite jerky bits. and sometimes the grainy look seemed to get in the way. if you know what I mean... Also, the cameras difficult to control on a trackpad... but i guess thats not going to affect many people :P
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#46 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17381 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 03 January 2006 - 03:10 PM

Tapping the "Z" key will re-center the camera.  It's right there under your ring finger, nice and handy like.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#47 GirSaysDoom13

GirSaysDoom13

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 06:39 PM

will my iBook g4, 14", 1 gb ram, mobility radeon 9550 32 mb vram be able to run this? it looks top notch.

#48 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17381 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:46 PM

The box says minimum requirements is 64MB Video RAM and a 1.2Ghz CPU.  Download Aspyr's free Game Agent and see what it says for your computer.  It will read your system and tell you how it measures up to the game.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#49 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:51 PM

GirSaysDoom13, on January 6th 2006, 06:39 PM, said:

will my iBook g4, 14", 1 gb ram, mobility radeon 9550 32 mb vram be able to run this? it looks top notch.

View Post

If you want a quick answer, with your system, don't bother.  :mellow:
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#50 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:13 PM

yep. thats what my friends got, but less RAM, and the 12" version. therefore I conclude itll run fine... but as I said its a bit jerky at some points, sometimes for no reason at all, but the frame rates not going to be through the roof cos theres less VRAM than what aspyr says you need.

if your not sure, therell probably be a demo out in the next few months... maybe february? so you could wait until that comes out before giving it a go.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#51 Dark_Archon

Dark_Archon

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:26 PM

teflon, on January 6th 2006, 09:13 PM, said:

if your not sure, therell probably be a demo out in the next few months... maybe february? so you could wait until that comes out before giving it a go.

View Post

A demo would be nice.
Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 7 GB RAM SONY DW-D150A SuperDrive

#52 Stop, Drop, and Roll

Stop, Drop, and Roll

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 09:31 PM

I would like to point out a typo in the Stubbs the Zombie review. In the system requirements, it says CPU: G4 @ 1MHz. This should be 1 GHz.

#53 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:14 PM

View PostStop, Drop, and Roll, on January 20th 2006, 10:31 PM, said:

I would like to point out a typo in the Stubbs the Zombie review. In the system requirements, it says CPU: G4 @ 1MHz. This should be 1 GHz.

Hey, it's a zombie game.  They do things slower in zombie-land.

--Eric

#54 Batcat

Batcat

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2907 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:37 PM

Apparently, since it's 1.2GHz. :)

#55 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17381 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:53 AM

It's like "dog years".  1Mhz in zombie CPU cycles is 1.2Ghz in human CPU cycles.  I thought you people were smarter than that!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#56 Enkidu

Enkidu

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 01:51 AM

stubbs has a mac demo out

worked ok on my 1st gen iMac G5

try it out on your rig

#57 Stop, Drop, and Roll

Stop, Drop, and Roll

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 01:06 AM

Speaking of Mortal Kombat, check this out:

http://video.google....754563453670209

LOL

#58 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17381 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:58 AM

::shouting up the stairwell::

WOULD YOU KIDS KNOCK IT OFF, A PICTURE JUST FELL OFF THE WALL!!

[Edit] AND STOP PEEING IN THE CLOSET!!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#59 The iMac Man

The iMac Man

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:42 PM

View PostStop, Drop, and Roll, on February 15th 2006, 01:06 AM, said:

Speaking of Mortal Kombat, check this out:

http://video.google....754563453670209

LOL

Uhm, what's with the part where the kid is naked in the closet in the background!?   :o  :huh:
-iMac

(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)
Heat of Battle
Revolt
SWAT
Others

Get Mac Game Mods: Macologist.org

#60 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17381 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 03:18 PM

You mean where you see him facing the closet with his shorts pulled down to you can see his butt cheeks?  Looked to me like he was supposed to be peeing into the closet.  I'm sure that's what ties this into the Stubbs thread.  The zombie contamination and all.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat